~*~*~*~* Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2021-2022 *~*~*~*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do both of your transcripts show up as "Received" on your actual AMCAS application? My school sent my transcript through Parchment on May 3rd, yet it still says "Not Received" on my AMCAS application
Yes, mine shows up as “received”. I submitted mine the same day and it was processed by AMCAS by the next morning.

Members don't see this ad.

It is definitely a Parchment glitch because last year, I heard there were similar Parchment issues such as emails and transcripts getting lost. The weird thing is I never received any emails from AMCAS.

Do both of your transcripts show up as "Received" on your actual AMCAS application? My school sent my transcript through Parchment on May 3rd, yet it still says "Not Received" on my AMCAS application
Mine says received!

It is definitely a Parchment glitch because last year, I heard there were similar Parchment issues such as emails and transcripts getting lost. The weird thing is I never received any emails from AMCAS.

I submitted two transcripts through parchment on 5/3, one was received within a few hours and the other still hasn't been received. There's probably some delay, I wouldn't stress about it for a little longer, then you might consider reaching out and seeing if there was a transcript ID error or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted two transcripts through parchment on 5/3, one was received within a few hours and the other still hasn't been received. There's probably some delay, I wouldn't stress about it for a little longer, then you might consider reaching out and seeing if there was a transcript ID error or something.
I appreciate the reassurance! I checked my transcript ID a bunch of times, so I don't think I made an error?? It is definitely an AMCAS delay though. Last year, a bunch of my friends had to wait almost a month for their transcript to be marked as "received".

And that is really weird that one of your transcripts was received while the other one wasn't... Guess we just have to wait the 15 business days until May 24th

I appreciate the reassurance! I checked my transcript ID a bunch of times, so I don't think I made an error?? It is definitely an AMCAS delay though. Last year, a bunch of my friends had to wait almost a month for their transcript to be marked as "received".

And that is really weird that one of your transcripts was received while the other one wasn't... Guess we just have to wait the 15 business days until May 24th
I have a mail-in transcript that the registrar hasn't even mailed out yet so either way I'm gonna be delayed lol

edit: I take that back, that registrar actually sent it without updating me, now I am just waiting on the stupid parchment one that should be the easiest to receive!

Last edited by a moderator:
If verification hasn't yet begun by the time of the second arrival, it's been my experience that the later transcript will supersede the first one sent, though I suggest you email them that it's coming and even make a phone call to them to be sure.

Yes, I called them and they said they would use the latest one. Thanks

Reactions: 1 user
I am reapplying, so I just started my 2022 application. So far, two of my letter writers have submitted their letters of evaluation using the 2022 application letter submit form but the letters seem to be going to my 2021 application instead. However, another one of my letters did go to my 2022 application so I am not sure where the problem is. I spoke with both letter writers whose letters went to the 2021 application, and both assured me that they used the 2022 submission information. I emailed AMCAS and I have not heard back so I am wondering if anyone knows what is going on or how I should proceed.

I am reapplying, so I just started my 2022 application. So far, two of my letter writers have submitted their letters of evaluation using the 2022 application letter submit form but the letters seem to be going to my 2021 application instead. However, another one of my letters did go to my 2022 application so I am not sure where the problem is. I spoke with both letter writers whose letters went to the 2021 application, and both assured me that they used the 2022 submission information. I emailed AMCAS and I have not heard back so I am wondering if anyone knows what is going on or how I should proceed.
Since there are two methods to upload a letter to your application (AMCAS Letter Writer Application, Interfolio), maybe you could have the letter writer try the other method as well? I would definitely try to call AMCAS ASAP or just wait and hope that they reply to your email.

For by IB/AP credit, the credit attempted column is different than the earned hours column for a few classes. Should I put the amount of credits in the credit attempted or earned hours into the credit section on AMCAS?

For example, IB physics gave me PHY 2053 Physics 1, credit attempted 4, earned hours 0, hours carried 0. Do we enter credit attempted, earned hours, or hours carried?

Last edited:
I know this is probably really simple and I am overthinking it, but I took a community college class the summer between freshman and sophomore year of college and I received credit for the course from my university and the course shows up on my undergrad transcript. BUT I would still have to list the community college under colleges on AMCAS and get a transcript form there?

I know this is probably really simple and I am overthinking it, but I took a community college class the summer between freshman and sophomore year of college and I received credit for the course from my university and the course shows up on my undergrad transcript. BUT I would still have to list the community college under colleges on AMCAS and get a transcript form there?
Yes.

for community college classes, if you received credit from your university for the class and it shows up on your university transcript, do you also need to put that course on your university coursework?

for community college classes, if you received credit from your university for the class and it shows up on your university transcript, do you also need to put that course on your university coursework?
No.

From the AMCAS Applicant Guide:
"Coursework Details

Under your respective postsecondary institutions, you must enter courses in chronological order exactly as they appear on the official transcript of the school where you originally attempted them. This is especially important to remember if the credit for a course was transferred from one U.S. or Canadian school to another.

For example, suppose you primarily attended the University of Maryland and took Intro to Photography at your local community college over the summer. You would list the community college in the Schools Attended section of the application (and request an official transcript for it) and add Intro to Photography as a course you took at the community college. You would not list the course under the University of Maryland, even if the credits were transferred there."

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question about the medical school TMDSAS application. I earned a "Z" grade in my science lab course and it is interpreted as "no grade reported" on my transcript. How should I put it in the app? I made A in science class (4.00 credit hour). This is what appears on my transcript:
CHEM 1111 LAB GENERAL CHEM LAB 1 0.00 (CREDIT HOUR) Z (GRADE) ( I don't need to list any course where 0 credit hours were earned.)
CHEM 1411 LEC GENERAL CHEM 1 4.00 (CREDIT HOURS) A (GRADE)

Am I supposed to put in General Chem Lecture or General Chem Lecture and Lab? I just want to make sure that TMDSAS don't misinterpret that I did not take lab section.

Last edited:
I have a question about the medical school TMDSAS application. I earned a "Z" grade in my science lab course and it is interpreted as "no grade reported" on my transcript. How should I put it in the app? I made A in science class (4.00 credit hour). This is what appears on my transcript:
CHEM 1111 LAB GENERAL CHEM LAB 1 0.00 (CREDIT HOUR) Z (GRADE) ( I don't need to list any course where 0 credit hours were earned.)
CHEM 1411 LEC GENERAL CHEM 1 4.00 (CREDIT HOURS) A (GRADE)

Am I supposed to put in General Chem Lecture or General Chem Lecture and Lab? I just want to make sure that TMDSAS don't misinterpret that I did not take lab section.
SDN has a dedicated TMDSAS Questions thread where I suggest you repost your question, here: *~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2021-2022*~*~*~* . This thread is for AMCAS application questions.

Hi everyone! I graduated with a dual degree, so how do I list this? In the 'Degrees' section of schools attended, should I add Bachelors of Science twice? Should I add Bachelors of Science and then when it gives me the opportunity to correct the name change it to "Bachelors of Science in [Major 1]" and add another Bachelors of Science and change the name to "Bachelors of Science in [Major 2]? Or should I just keep one bachelors of science degree but list both majors. For my school, a dual degree requires more credits than a double major, so I wanted to differentiate this.

Couple questions about course work classification.

I did a senior research thesis, year long worth 9 units. It was in a lab. Is this considered lecture, lab or both?

Did several internships during my undergraduate degree (shows on my transcript). Some were purely in labs (research) others were not. How should I classify them?

I graduated with a dual degree, so how do I list this? In the 'Degrees' section of schools attended, should I 1) add Bachelors of Science twice? Should I add Bachelors of Science and then when it gives me the opportunity to correct the name change it to "Bachelors of Science in [Major 1]" and add another Bachelors of Science and change the name to "Bachelors of Science in [Major 2]? Or 2) should I just keep one bachelors of science degree but list both majors. For my school, a dual degree requires more credits than a double major, so I wanted to differentiate this.
If you earned two separate undergrad degrees, then option #1 of the above is the more correct. You'd list the two majors just below that as well.

Couple questions about course work classification.

1) I did a senior research thesis, year long worth 9 units. It was in a lab. Is this considered a) lecture, b) lab or c) both?

2) Did several internships during my undergraduate degree (shows on my transcript). Some were purely in labs (research) others were not. How should I classify them?
1) What was the split between lecture and lab for this class?

2) Internships are generally listed under Other, since they tend to include components from multiple categories. But if one of them was "pure research" then list it under Research and include Internship in the name of the space.

1) What was the split between lecture and lab for this class?

2) Internships are generally listed under Other, since they tend to include components from multiple categories. But if one of them was "pure research" then list it under Research and include Internship in the name of the space.
Thanks Catalystik,

1) There was no classes for this course, I was working in my PIs lab the whole time. Closest thing to a lecture would be lab meetings and when he initially explained the project to me. So I assumed I'd classify this as "lab only".

2) Yeah I put it under "Other" in terms of course classification, but I'm confused if I should select lecture only, lab only, or combined lab and lecture since some of the jobs for my co-op were technically neither:
a) 4 months spent in a lab researching b) 8 months working at an analytical chemistry company analyzing random chemicals c)4 months working at a science camp for high school kids

Thanks Catalystik,

1) There was no classes for this course, I was working in my PIs lab the whole time. Closest thing to a lecture would be lab meetings and when he initially explained the project to me. So I assumed I'd classify this as "lab only".

2) Yeah I put it under "Other" in terms of course classification, but I'm confused if I should select lecture only, lab only, or combined lab and lecture since some of the jobs for my co-op were technically neither:
a) 4 months spent in a lab researching b) 8 months working at an analytical chemistry company analyzing random chemicals c)4 months working at a science camp for high school kids
1) Yes.

2) Lab only for all, unless c) put you under someone else's direction, in which case c) might be both.

Hi everyone! I submitted my transcript on 5/3 and it has yet to be received by AMCAS. The deadline on their site is tomorrow as to when they should have it "received" by. I'm thinking of re-sending and reaching out to my school and AMCAS. Is anyone else going through this? I used Student Clearing House.

Hi everyone! I submitted my transcript on 5/3 and it has yet to be received by AMCAS. The deadline on their site is tomorrow as to when they should have it "received" by. I'm thinking of re-sending and reaching out to my school and AMCAS. Is anyone else going through this? I used Student Clearing House.
I submitted one through Parchment on 5/3 that was only received today, I would reach out to AMCAS just to make sure there's not an issue but it seems like they've been having issue with Parchment transcripts, its possible SCH is also having issues.

If you earned two separate undergrad degrees, then option #1 of the above is the more correct. You'd list the two majors just below that as well.
Should I still edit the name of the Degree to "Bachelor of Science in [Major]" because the transcript does not list it like that, it just says "Bachelor of Science" for both.

Should I still edit the name of the Degree to "Bachelor of Science in [Major]" because the transcript does not list it like that, it just says "Bachelor of Science" for both.
Yes. You need to distinguish them so it's clear you didn't accidently enter the degree twice. If you leave in the brackets, it shows that you are explaining the difference. You could also use Bachelor of Science [#1] and Bachelor of Science [#2] if you prefer not to be repetitive.

For AP Credit, on my official transcript, the grade shows up as 'EM'. Is this how I should enter it on transcript grade for the courses section of the AMCAS? Furthermore, it does not look like the courses section allows me to add Advanced Placement courses when I was a high schooler taking courses at the University, even though that is when I earned the transfer credit. Should I just add the AP courses into my freshmen, even though thats not when I received the credit? There is a way I can make it show up as Advancement Placement, but that seems to be a glitch in the system (it does not check the box in the add section, but still shows up in the list and with a checkmark in the edit window, and only works when you add it after another course and click "Save & Add Another" at the bottom. I can use the glitch to make the section more accurate, but I dont know what else that will mess up.

Last edited:
I submitted one through Parchment on 5/3 that was only received today, I would reach out to AMCAS just to make sure there's not an issue but it seems like they've been having issue with Parchment transcripts, its possible SCH is also having issues.
Thank you!

For entering a publication in the activities section, would you guys recommend including the full citation in the experience section? I am dedicating another activity slot to describing the work I did in the lab where I earned the publication so I didn't want it to be repetitive in the experience section for the publication.

For entering a publication in the activities section, would you guys recommend including the full citation in the experience section? I am dedicating another activity slot to describing the work I did in the lab where I earned the publication so I didn't want it to be repetitive in the experience section for the publication.
There is another thread for questions about the Activities section of AMCAS at *~*~*~* Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2021-2022 *~*~*~*

I will respond to you there.

Has anyone had problems with their courses being out of order? I entered all of my courses in chronological order, but when I print my application PDF, there are 3 classes that are out of order. Any ideas on how to fix or is this something AMCAS would correct? Thanks!!
Capture.PNG

How should I classify a Russian literature class (course number Russian ####)? It is a literature class in English with English readings. I planned on classifying it as English and literature, but am not sure if it should be classified under Foreign languages, linguistics, and literature.

Hi I have a question about the coursework section, for the 'year in school' label the guide says you should use their credit hour ranges to determine the appropriate status for each "TERM" then lists the credit ranges.

Does 'TERM' refer to each semester, or entire academic year? For example, if I check how many credits I have at the end of each semester, my second semester in my third year of college should be listed as senior year, as I had 100 credits starting the second semester. However if TERM refers to academic year I would only count how many credits I have at the start of the year.

I searched but couldn't find an answer to this question, apologies if it has been asked before. Thank you!!

Should you include projected hours in total hours for an activity that you are doing until the start of med school (ie. a gap year position)?

Should you include projected hours in total hours for an activity that you are doing until the start of med school (ie. a gap year position)?
You may include them, but you are not obliged to do so. Just make sure to differentiate between completed and future hours. All too often, "life happens," and future hours are never completed.

I just reread the "Repeat" section of the applicant guide and it says that if you are retaking a course you received AP/IB credit for, you mark the course you took at university as repeat. My university transcript only marks the AP/IB course as repeat but not the university course. Should I mark both as repeat?

I just reread the "Repeat" section of the applicant guide and it says that if you are retaking a course you received AP/IB credit for, you mark the course you took at university as repeat. My university transcript only marks the AP/IB course as repeat but not the university course. Should I mark both as repeat?
Definitely not, since one of them is not!!!! It honestly doesn't matter, since the credits (and, more importantly, the grade you received) will be counted either way. The safer course is to track to your transcript. If AMCAS doesn't like it, they will change it.

Hi! I am losing my mind trying to figure this out and would love some help. I took a semester abroad through IFSA Butler and got the credits transferred back to my home institution. My school said I needed to still have Butler University send a transcript over. So, when listing course work, do I list it under my abroad institution? And do I list the grades as they appear on my college's transcript where the credits were transferred or on Butler's? Thank you!!

I just wanted to throw this information down as a PSA because I have seen conflicting reports across the internet. I just spoke with the AMCAS team and if you take a similar course at two institutions (i.e. Gen Chem 1 at School X and Gen Chem 1 at School Y), they should not be listed as repeats, because they are not technically the same course. A repeat should be reserved for a course that is taken twice at the same institution where the content and structure is nearly identical. Hopefully this will save some people some trouble in the future.

So... I retook the MCAT on April 30th but it's not listed here. Do I just put May 1st or should I just wait for the score release on June 1st?

1621979070641.png

So... I retook the MCAT on April 30th but it's not listed here. Do I just put May 1st or should I just wait for the score release on June 1st?

View attachment 337670
I don't think you need to worry about it because your score will be available before anything is transmitted to schools on 6/25 at the earliest.

A few final questions before I submit:

I took a summer course at a different school in between Freshman and Sophomore Year.
I thought I entered it in chronological order, but it's now showing up at the bottom of courses after all my Senior Year courses. Is this an issue? I received credit for the class on my actual school's transcript so it does appear in chronological order on the official transcript. I just don't want to delay processing/verification because of a discrepancy.

My Work/Activities section also does not seem to be in chronological order even though I tried to entire it that way. Does AMCAS automatically sort it somehow? Should I be trying to order my Activities in a certain way (ex: all most meaningful experiences first or chronological order or order of significance, etc.)?

I'm entering the fact that I earned the Dean's List for a few semesters. Should I try to write a description/reflection for this? It feels weird to just leave it as a list of the semesters I was on the Dean's List but I'm not sure what else to say.

Transcript request question
I'm currently in a Master's program in which one final grade will be released mid June. My goal is to submit AMCAS June 1st and I plan to enter the course as in progress. However, I plan to wait and send the actual transcript when the grade is finalized in mid June. What will happen if theres a discrepancy between my AMCAS app (course wont have a final grade) and the transcript (which has a final grade). Will AMCAS just update it or would that be a big verification problem for me? I'm not trying to hide my final grade, I want just want to get my app out June 1 and not think about it it. Thoughts are appreciated!

How closely do adcoms look at course classifications? If a class that is borderline BCPM is listed as BCPM and remains unchanged after verification, would this be a red flag or seen as an attempt to inflate the BCPM GPA?

How closely do adcoms look at course classifications? If a class that is borderline BCPM is listed as BCPM and remains unchanged after verification, would this be a red flag or seen as an attempt to inflate the BCPM GPA?
The whole point of the verification is to provide uniformity across all applicants to the schools. You are expected to make a good faith effort to accurately classify your coursework. AMCAS is expected to verify what you enter. If a classification is actually verified by AMCAS, what basis would an adcom have to consider it a red flag, even if they don't agree with the classification?

In any event, one class +/- in BCPM is not going to make or break an application. I think you are worrying about nothing.

1) My Work/Activities section also does not seem to be in chronological order even though I tried to entire it that way. Does AMCAS automatically sort it somehow? Should I be trying to order my Activities in a certain way (ex: all most meaningful experiences first or chronological order or order of significance, etc.)?

2) I'm entering the fact that I earned the Dean's List for a few semesters. Should I try to write a description/reflection for this? It feels weird to just leave it as a list of the semesters I was on the Dean's List but I'm not sure what else to say.
1) Don't worry about the order that you see them in as each school will reorder the Activities according to their own preferences. You have no control over the order in which they will appear.

2) You might add the criteria for being on the Dean's List, as it differs with each school. You don't need to add a lot of description otherwise.

Transcript request question
I'm currently in a Master's program in which one final grade will be released mid June. My goal is to submit AMCAS June 1st and I plan to enter the course as in progress. However, I plan to wait and send the actual transcript when the grade is finalized in mid June. What will happen if theres a discrepancy between my AMCAS app (course wont have a final grade) and the transcript (which has a final grade). Will AMCAS just update it or would that be a big verification problem for me? I'm not trying to hide my final grade, I want just want to get my app out June 1 and not think about it it. Thoughts are appreciated!
If the bolded part is really true, what are you trying to accomplish by waiting until your grade is released to send the transcript, while not waiting to submit your application until you have the grade?

It sounds like you want to have your cake and eat it too, but you should realize there is truly no free lunch with AMCAS. It will not be a big verification problem, but they also will NOT update your current/future coursework to reflect a grade that appears on your transcript that was not included in your primary because it was unavailable. It will remain current/future, without a grade, just like you entered it. So, there is no reason not to either wait for the grade before submitting, or just send the transcript now.

Sorry if this has been answered already, but my friend submitted her transcript too early (it has been marked as received) and now she wants to resend a transcript with her spring semester grades. Can she just use the same transcript ID?

Sorry if this has been answered already, but my friend submitted her transcript too early (it has been marked as received) and now she wants to resend a transcript with her spring semester grades. Can she just use the same transcript ID?
yup, she can use same transcript ID. Both will be linked to her application, and AMCAS will look at both when verifying her application

• Love