*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2012-2013*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 3 questions. I apologize if someone else has already asked something similar. I'm still working on going through all the posts.

1) Would it be bad if I pick an abroad clinical experience that lasted for 1 week as one of my 3 meaningfuls? I have already described my other clinical experiences in depth in my PS, so I don't want to repeat myself in the 1325 characters.

2) I'm debating whether I should mention my high school lab research as one of my activities. Even though my college research is in a different lab/with different people than was my high school research, my high school research was in the exact same field as is the research/work that I have been doing during college. Would it be okay to list the high school research as one of my activities since it is was led to my interest in that specific field and is in that sense tied to my college experiences? If yes, is it okay to state that the high school research made me interested in that field as long as I do not state that I am planning to specialize in that field?

3) I have a publication from my high school research, and my college papers are still being reviewed unfortunately. Can I mention the high school manuscript as its own entry?
1. If it was most meaningful to you then go for it IMO
2&3. If your high school research resulted in a publication in a national journal, then you can list it as a publication and briefly describe the project in that activity description. You really shouldn't have a "Research" entry dedicated to it though since it was while you were in high school. Catalystik will correct me if I'm wrong as high school publications are a somewhat rare topic :)

This is probably a dumb question, but who should typically be listed as a verification contact for academic Awards/Honors? I'm a few years out of undergrad and pursued post-bac pre-med coursework at a different institution than where I completed my BA, and was assuming that I would potentially use my college academic advisor as a verification contact for certain undergrad awards/honors, but I have recently learned that he is no longer at my undergrad institution and I'm not sure who at my undergrad would even still have access to or knowledge of my records. I've tried contacting some other people from my alma mater's various advising offices, but don't seem to be making much headway.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I am bundling athletic endeavors under one activity, who should be the contact name? I have competed in multiple fitness competitions ranging from true tests of fitness to city-wide beach volleyball tournaments and have placed/won multiple events. There is no factor connecting them all besides the fact that I competed in them, so should I be the contact (that doesn't sound right!)?
You should avoid listing yourself as a contact if possible. Can anyone else verify all of these activities for you? A roommate? Best friend? Trainer? Perhaps even your mom as your last resort

In some situations it may be unavoidable to list yourself as a contact

Should I list an activity that took as a course for credit? It was a Peer Leadership course where you help out freshman with in particular course by supervising/tutoring/encouraging in small and large classes. It is explicitly leadership... but I don't know if I should list it since it was a college course I took for credit.
You may list it

This is probably a dumb question, but who should typically be listed as a verification contact for academic Awards/Honors? I'm a few years out of undergrad and pursued post-bac pre-med coursework at a different institution than where I completed my BA, and was assuming that I would potentially use my college academic advisor as a verification contact for certain undergrad awards/honors, but I have recently learned that he is no longer at my undergrad institution and I'm not sure who at my undergrad would even still have access to or knowledge of my records. I've tried contacting some other people from my alma mater's various advising offices, but don't seem to be making much headway.
Generally the school registrar compiles such records. Another option would be the advisor who replaced your advisor

Hello everyone, I just have one quick question. I have been involved in activities for all of my spring and winter breaks. Currently, I have "Spring Break Experiences" listed as one activity and breaks down what I did on each spring break in the description and then I have another entitled "Medical Volunteer Abroad" which is where I went to work abroad during winter break. This second entry took up the entire 700 characters leaving no room to describe additional winter break activities. I am wondering if I can combine these sections and call it "Spring and Winter Break Experiences" And talk about all of my experiences in one place, and mark it as most meaningful and allow me to open up slots to talk about something else (like my passion for cooking :love:)

Hi everyone,

I work as a freelance makeup artist every summer to earn some extra money. I do things like weddings and sweet sixteens, but I work independently. I don't have a crew, assistant, don't work at a salon, etc. I don't know who I can possibly list as a contact for this besides myself...maybe a family member? I would list a client but I typically only work with my clients once for their big event and never see them again. I don't think a client would be the most reliable contact in the world, but I really do not want to list myself. Any suggestions?

ETA: I should also add that I'm an unlicensed makeup artist, so I can't exactly list a beauty school as a reference...

Last edited:
Tried searching for this, but to no avail! I have one main question, and one clarification question.

For my 10-12 activities, 2 of them are used extensively in my Personal statement, as the bulk of my reasoning for wanting to attend med school. How then, should I describe them in the description under the activities section (the 700 character section). I know it shouldn't be anywhere near as extensive, or use any of the same details, but should it just be a one/two sentence tiny summary?

Also, just to clarify, not every activity (half of them for me) needs to have in the description your motivation for doing that activity, right? Otherwise there will be nothing to interview us about (just kidding, but seriously)!

Thank you for your help!

Should graduate school simply be listed as "Other"? It is paid employment, teaching, research, along with some presentations and publications. I assume I should just sum it all up as one experience? As a non-trad with 8+ years of "experiences" after undergrad (and at least 6 different jobs) I'm finding this section really overwhelming. Should I just use a chronological format?

I volunteer with a Hospice organization by performing the piano at nursing homes with hospice patients. I do have some interaction with them (take requests, chat with them for a bit afterwards), but my main purpose while I am with them is to play the piano. Should I list this under clinical or nonclinical?

Hey All,

I'd like to say this thread has been very helpful with the entire application process!

I was planning on listing my volunteer abroad experience in the experiences section, but had a couple of questions (5 weeks, South America, working and living with mentally disabled patients)

1.) Clinical Volunteering? (in my PS I described it as exposure to a clinical experience)

2.) My volunteer abroad program included monthly training sessions, where I commuted about an hour each way to attend, as well as a trip to Tijuana to rebuild a school. Should I include this as part of my description???

3.) I didn't have a lot of money to pay for the trip, so I raised a lot of the money by digging through the dorm garbage cans on weekends and collecting aluminum cans (2 hours each friday/ saturday night) and some independent donation drives/ fundraisers. Would it be helpful/ interesting to list this info or just unnecessary?

Thanks Guys!!!

Hello everyone, I just have one quick question. I have been involved in activities for all of my spring and winter breaks. Currently, I have "Spring Break Experiences" listed as one activity and breaks down what I did on each spring break in the description and then I have another entitled "Medical Volunteer Abroad" which is where I went to work abroad during winter break. This second entry took up the entire 700 characters leaving no room to describe additional winter break activities. I am wondering if I can combine these sections and call it "Spring and Winter Break Experiences" And talk about all of my experiences in one place, and mark it as most meaningful and allow me to open up slots to talk about something else (like my passion for cooking :love:)

I think that's a reasonable solution to the problem of insufficient space.

Members don't see this ad :)
I work as a freelance makeup artist every summer to earn some extra money. I do things like weddings and sweet sixteens, but I work independently. I don't have a crew, assistant, don't work at a salon, etc. I don't know who I can possibly list as a contact for this besides myself...maybe a family member? I would list a client but I typically only work with my clients once for their big event and never see them again. I don't think a client would be the most reliable contact in the world, but I really do not want to list myself. Any suggestions?

ETA: I should also add that I'm an unlicensed makeup artist, so I can't exactly list a beauty school as a reference...
I think that listing a family member or a close friend aware of the activity would be acceptable. Sounds interesting.

Tried searching for this, but to no avail! I have one main question, and one clarification question.

For my 10-12 activities, 2 of them are used extensively in my Personal statement, as the bulk of my reasoning for wanting to attend med school. How then, should I describe them in the description under the activities section (the 700 character section). I know it shouldn't be anywhere near as extensive, or use any of the same details,
1) but should it just be a one/two sentence tiny summary?

2) Also, just to clarify, not every activity (half of them for me) needs to have in the description your motivation for doing that activity, right? Otherwise there will be nothing to interview us about (just kidding, but seriously)!
1) Some duplication often can't be avoided to make the story sound right. A "tiny" summary is fine, or whatever is needed to make your story hang together properly.

2) Correct. Not all activities lend themselves well to deep reflection and transformative experiences. It would be silly to say "I was a waitperson because I needed the money." Some things are assumed.

Should graduate school simply be listed as "Other"? It is paid employment, teaching, research, along with some presentations and publications. I assume I should just sum it all up as one experience? As a non-trad with 8+ years of "experiences" after undergrad (and at least 6 different jobs) I'm finding this section really overwhelming. Should I just use a chronological format?
Did you mean to say undergraduate school? If so, then your mentioned approach using reverse chronology would be appropriate. If you meant to say grad school, I'd be curious to know what you'd be filling the other spaces with.

I volunteer with a Hospice organization by performing the piano at nursing homes with hospice patients. I do have some interaction with them (take requests, chat with them for a bit afterwards), but my main purpose while I am with them is to play the piano. Should I list this under clinical or nonclinical?
I think you could spin it either way, depending on what your application needed more of, but my inclination would be to choose nonmedical community service, making the range of interactive patient experiences apparent through your description.

What happens if I coached a community basketball team about two years ago and have not kept in touch with my supervisor? I tried calling her yesterday and she switched phone numbers, so an old man picked up.... OMG I'm so stressed I don't have that many EC's to begin with, my whole application is mostly contingent on my academic record, and I may have possible lost an extracurricular activity that is important to me?
Check at the office again and see if they have a record of your involvement in their files. A contact is meant to attest that you were engaged in the activity during a certain timeframe, and not to give a reference. So the person doesn't need to know you well. If that fails, then use a parent, or friend who knows of your involvement.

I was planning on listing my volunteer abroad experience in the experiences section, but had a couple of questions (5 weeks, South America, working and living with mentally disabled patients)

1.) Clinical Volunteering? (in my PS I described it as exposure to a clinical experience)

2.) My volunteer abroad program included monthly training sessions, where I commuted about an hour each way to attend, as well as a trip to Tijuana to rebuild a school. Should I include this as part of my description???

3.) I didn't have a lot of money to pay for the trip, so I raised a lot of the money by digging through the dorm garbage cans on weekends and collecting aluminum cans (2 hours each friday/ saturday night) and some independent donation drives/ fundraisers. Would it be helpful/ interesting to list this info or just unnecessary?

Thanks Guys!!!
1) It depends on your role and type of interaction. Did you engage in therapeutic activities that a doctor would suggest: give meds, cath care, wound checks/dressings, physical or occupational therapy, etc. Did you assist a nurse? Or did you mainly play with the kids?

2) I think you can work in attendance at training sessions, but the time it took to get there isn't relevant. The Tiajuana trip doen't sound related to the main experience, certainly isn't clinical, but if you change the title of the activity to something broader, you might mention it in an addendum.

3) I love it. Shows flexible problem solving.

Hey research buffs, how are you guys listing your multiple abstracts? Is creating an activity "Posters and Presentations" and citing it for example like this acceptable? Obviously it would be unreasonable to create an activity for each poster/presentation

Doe J, Doe J, Doe J. "Title". SDN Annual Meeting. Electronic Poster Presentation. Los
Angeles, CA. February 5‐8, 2011.

Also what are you guys putting for your date and hours if you have multiple abstracts?

I would also like to add I have 5 abstracts (2 at the same conference, 3 at different ones respectively).....should these get their own slot?

Last edited:
I think that listing a family member or a close friend aware of the activity would be acceptable. Sounds interesting.

Yeah, I was thinking about listing a family friend who's seen some of my work and also gave me most of my informal cosmetic training. I hope the AdCom thinks it's ok. Thank you so much for your input, Catalystik!

Hi, for a class in the clinical lab program, I wrote a paper on acute myelogenous leukemia describing the disorder (like a webmd article but much more in depth). I was also given a case study of an actual patient and had to create a poster that explained and correlated the case study with the disorder. Then we presented our poster at a university research day in front of many researchers, doctors, and students. Is this worth listing? The class also taught me to critically evaluate literature and write sound scientific papers.
Edit: our abstract was also published in the university research day booklet. Our instructors said this counts as a publication but you can't access the abstract online like a journal's. Any ideas?

Does anyone know how to properly cite a published abstract and a poster presentation?

Links/examples would be nice. Thank you

First of all, thank you guys for answering us all in such a timely manner! :) <3

Question: I took part of a minority High School outreach event 2-years in a row with 2 differnt chair positions. For about a 2 months we met 2hr/week, and then the program itself is a 2-day thing from 8am Fri to 12pm Sat. How do I do this?
In my resume I have it as volunteer but I realized this is good leadership too. So I started this Feb 2011 until it ended April 2011, and then again in 2012, and I'll most likely do it again next year. Do I say till present or April 2012 as end date, and then explain in the box?
And then as the position name can I just write Chair Member and then explain each position (Secretary in 2011, Publicity in 2012) in the box? And then again explain the outcome in the box? Can the box fit all this?! lol

This might end up being one of my most meaningful too because it involves mentoring "kids", so I may have more room. Anyways, help please :)

How is everyone naming their experience? For example, should I just put my position name or also include the company/location? But then there is a spot for the company name too so I don't want to be repetitive..

Ex:

Experience Name: Volunteer EMT
OR
Experience Name: Volunteer EMT at Blah Blah Ambulance Corps

I just recently started a research project that will be implemented this upcoming summer. I won't be able to conduct the data analysis until Fall. Should I bother to list this experience as an activity on the AMCAS?

Last edited:
Do some people not list physician shadowing, since its such a standard activity?

Hey research buffs, how are you guys listing your multiple abstracts? Is creating an activity "Posters and Presentations" and citing it for example like this acceptable? Obviously it would be unreasonable to create an activity for each poster/presentation

Doe J, Doe J, Doe J. “Title”. SDN Annual Meeting. Electronic Poster Presentation. Los
Angeles, CA. February 5&#8208;8, 2011.

Also what are you guys putting for your date and hours if you have multiple abstracts?

I would also like to add I have 5 abstracts (2 at the same conference, 3 at different ones respectively).....should these get their own slot?

if you are running tight on space, group them all.

I shadowed a physician for three weeks (30-40 hours total) two years ago. Is it acceptable to list myself as the contact?

I just recently started a health research project that will be implemented this upcoming summer. I won't be able to conduct the data analysis until August. Should I bother to list this experience as an activity on the AMCAS? So far all I have accomplished is the finishing the research design and gaining IRB approval. Thanks
I would include it. By the time you interview, you should have a lot more to talk about, so I wouldn't worry about having sparse experience while filling out your application. You can always send an update letter to school that haven't invited you for interviews yet later as well.

Yes, include it. Congrats on getting IRB approval. Even PI's with 30 years experience are excited when their study is approved. This is definitely valid and as described above, its fodder for your interviews.

Did you mean to say undergraduate school? If so, then your mentioned approach using reverse chronology would be appropriate. If you meant to say grad school, I'd be curious to know what you'd be filling the other spaces with.

Nope- meant grad school- graduated undergrad in 2004. Worked for 6 mos for student conservation association. Worked 2 years in an Alzheimer's research lab. In the midst of those 2 years, volunteered for 4 months studying primate behavior in Madagascar. Returned to Madagascar as a National Geographic Young Explorer and ran a project there. Returned to states, worked at a biotech on a dengue diagnostic for 10 mos until I started graduate school. Spent 2 yrs in grad school, taught 3 semesters, developed and ran research project (in press). Now working in a lab again as I apply to med school. Have been volunteering in adult ED for a year and am shadowing in peds ED as well as a bone marrow transplant unit. So, there are some things to put in the other spaces. I guess my strategy will be to figure out what I really want to emphasize and give those items their own space, and condense everything else. Need to show I haven't been bumming around for 8 yrs, but also can't look like I've been running around in aimless circles.

I just recently started a health research project that will be implemented this upcoming summer. I won't be able to conduct the data analysis until August. Should I bother to list this experience as an activity on the AMCAS? So far all I have accomplished is the finishing the research design and gaining IRB approval. Thanks

CONGRATULATIONS! Having been through the IRB process myself, I know how relieved you are to have that behind you. :laugh:

Does anyone have an example of how a published abstract and poster presentation should be cited? I've found various sources but none are consistent...Thanks.

Doe J, Doe J, Doe J. “Title”. SDN Annual Meeting. Electronic Poster Presentation. Los
Angeles, CA. February 5&#8208;8, 2011.

Is there a natural grouping of the projects?

For each research lab you worked in, you would typically create a main "Research" entry. Then, for each project you worked on that was either published in a national or regional journal or presented at a national or regional conference, you would create a separate entry for only the highest level of achievement (with pubs taking precedence over presentations) and group all of the stuff together. So suppose that you had a publication and 3 posters from one project. You would have the main research entry and then you would have a "Publications" entry where you would talk about the pub and all 3 posters. If you had another project, even if it was in the same lab, you would split it out and have another entry if it had publications or posters

For all the 'sub-entries' created using this method you should refer back to the main research entry on the first line for organization purposes.

You do not enter hours per week for pubs or presentations as it is assumed that the hours are represented in the main "research" entry. You can put the date of the presentation for the time span if you want.

You might need to compress your citations to make everything fit

Hi, for a class in the clinical lab program, I wrote a paper on acute myelogenous leukemia describing the disorder (like a webmd article but much more in depth). I was also given a case study of an actual patient and had to create a poster that explained and correlated the case study with the disorder. Then we presented our poster at a university research day in front of many researchers, doctors, and students. Is this worth listing? The class also taught me to critically evaluate literature and write sound scientific papers.
Edit: our abstract was also published in the university research day booklet. Our instructors said this counts as a publication but you can't access the abstract online like a journal's. Any ideas?
How many hours/week did you spend on this and what was the time span?

Is this your only experience close to research or do you have another?

Does anyone know how to properly cite a published abstract and a poster presentation?

Links/examples would be nice. Thank you
This is the format I used for a poster presentation I had:
Doe J, et al. Poster Title. Poster presented at Meeting or Conference Name, New York, NY, January, 2010.

Any simple format is fine. This is an example for a poster for the first author

Is there a natural grouping of the projects?

For each research lab you worked in, you would typically create a main "Research" entry. Then, for each project you worked on that was either published in a national or regional journal or presented at a national or regional conference, you would create a separate entry for only the highest level of achievement (with pubs taking precedence over presentations) and group all of the stuff together. So suppose that you had a publication and 3 posters from one project. You would have the main research entry and then you would have a "Publications" entry where you would talk about the pub and all 3 posters. If you had another project, even if it was in the same lab, you would split it out and have another entry if it had publications or posters

For all the 'sub-entries' created using this method you should refer back to the main research entry on the first line for organization purposes.

You do not enter hours per week for pubs or presentations as it is assumed that the hours are represented in the main "research" entry. You can put the date of the presentation for the time span if you want.

You might need to compress your citations to make everything fit

I had two abstracts/1 paper in progress with one group
1 abstract/2 papers submitted with another
1 abstract/ 1 paper in progress with another

:laugh: as you can see I'm super confused since there is so much to sift through, i'll figure out hopefully, thanks :thumbup:

I had two abstracts/1 paper in progress with one group
1 abstract/2 papers submitted with another

:laugh: as you can see I'm super confused since there is so much to sift through, i'll figure out hopefully, thanks :thumbup:
Do you have enough room to give each of those a spot? I think I used 5 entries for my research

First of all, thank you guys for answering us all in such a timely manner! :) <3

Question: I took part of a minority High School outreach event 2-years in a row with 2 differnt chair positions. For about a 2 months we met 2hr/week, and then the program itself is a 2-day thing from 8am Fri to 12pm Sat. How do I do this?
In my resume I have it as volunteer but I realized this is good leadership too. So I started this Feb 2011 until it ended April 2011, and then again in 2012, and I'll most likely do it again next year. Do I say till present or April 2012 as end date, and then explain in the box?
And then as the position name can I just write Chair Member and then explain each position (Secretary in 2011, Publicity in 2012) in the box? And then again explain the outcome in the box? Can the box fit all this?! lol

This might end up being one of my most meaningful too because it involves mentoring "kids", so I may have more room. Anyways, help please :)
If I were you, I would put it down as nonmedical community service, using the most recent time span (Feb to April 2012) and hours as the header info (bumping up the hours per week from 2 to properly account for the big commitment at the end). In the title, I would make the leadership component clear (like "Minority Outreach Community Service and Chair Member" for example). In the description, I would have a section describing the activity then another section describing your leadership of the activity. I would then have a section where you do something like
"Also:
I participated in the same activity in 2011 from February to April with a weekly commitment of 3 hours. The same contact information may be used"
and then go on to explain your leadership role in that time span

You may need to use bullet points to fit everything.

Marking it as most meaningful is a fine idea. That would give you more room to talk about the nitty-gritty "here's what I did" in the description box and the "here's what awesome stuff I learned about both leadership and mentoring" in the Most Meaningful box

How is everyone naming their experience? For example, should I just put my position name or also include the company/location? But then there is a spot for the company name too so I don't want to be repetitive..

Ex:

Experience Name: Volunteer EMT
OR
Experience Name: Volunteer EMT at Blah Blah Ambulance Corps
If you have more than one experience being a "Volunteer EMT" then I would use the second approach. Other than that I don't think it matters much. Perhaps Catalystik will stop by when she gets a moment to correct me if she prefers one over the other

Nope- meant grad school- graduated undergrad in 2004. Worked for 6 mos for student conservation association. Worked 2 years in an Alzheimer's research lab. In the midst of those 2 years, volunteered for 4 months studying primate behavior in Madagascar. Returned to Madagascar as a National Geographic Young Explorer and ran a project there. Returned to states, worked at a biotech on a dengue diagnostic for 10 mos until I started graduate school. Spent 2 yrs in grad school, taught 3 semesters, developed and ran research project (in press). Now working in a lab again as I apply to med school. Have been volunteering in adult ED for a year and am shadowing in peds ED as well as a bone marrow transplant unit. So, there are some things to put in the other spaces. I guess my strategy will be to figure out what I really want to emphasize and give those items their own space, and condense everything else. Need to show I haven't been bumming around for 8 yrs, but also can't look like I've been running around in aimless circles.
All of them sound like interesting projects that I would include if you have room. I would start condensing the older activities (like during your undergrad) to save room if you need it. I also agree with the bolded

I would include it. By the time you interview, you should have a lot more to talk about, so I wouldn't worry about having sparse experience while filling out your application. You can always send an update letter to school that haven't invited you for interviews yet later as well.

Yes, include it. Congrats on getting IRB approval. Even PI's with 30 years experience are excited when their study is approved. This is definitely valid and as described above, its fodder for your interviews.

CONGRATULATIONS! Having been through the IRB process myself, I know how relieved you are to have that behind you. :laugh:
Merging

How many hours/week did you spend on this and what was the time span?

Is this your only experience close to research or do you have another?
During freshman through junior year, I did ecology research with a professor and during a summer program, I did immunology research (6 weeks). This poster project was in the senior year for an entire semester where I spent about 4 hours per week. However, this poster experience was for this semester only.

I was wondering what I should put down under "Experience Name" for a research experience. Should I just put down "Summer Research", "Student Research", or something generic like that, or should I put down the name of the project?

Status
Not open for further replies.