*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2012-2013*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, it is rare for premeds to have a unique clinical experience. Your ability to describe the activity's impact is more important than its novelty to the adcomm

Er...I'm guessing I should leave mine out, then?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

If you did a medical mission for 1 week, what do you put for the "hours/week" section in the activities on AMCAS? Can you put 168 hours? [24 hours/day x 7 days = 168 hours]

Hey everyone,

If you did a medical mission for 1 week, what do you put for the "hours/week" section in the activities on AMCAS? Can you put 168 hours? [24 hours/day x 7 days = 168 hours]

If you put that I think they'd laugh and move on to the next applicant. Probably want to consider the actual number of hours worked, outside of sleeping, eating, travel and off time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

No. You list the number of hours you were actively engaged in the named volunteer activity, not the time you traveled, ate, slept, and recreated after the day's work was complete.

Question regarding publications: I have 2 pubs that will get their own spots, but what about a published abstract only? I presented at a professional conference, and the Society of --- (responsible for the conference) then published the abstract I presented in their peer-reviewed journal.

Question regarding publications: I have 2 pubs that will get their own spots, but what about a published abstract only? I presented at a professional conference, and the Society of --- (responsible for the conference) then published the abstract I presented in their peer-reviewed journal.
Considering it's been peer-reviewed, and ideally PubMed Searchable, an abstract in a national journal is a publication worth listing on its own. But if you cite it in its own Publications space, you would not also list it as a Poster/Presentation. Instead, you, mention that presentation of the data in the same space as the Pub, giving date, location, and conference name.

If it is not PubMed Searchable, you could either mention the on-line database where it can be found in your narrative, or you can list it under Posters/Presentations and mention the accepted abstract in that space.

Question about whether or not to list an activity:
I was a nanny for my niece from the age of 3 months until 9 months. I watched her for 9 hours a day, two days a week. This was during my second semester of graduate school, so I feel like it is a substantial work experience; however, she is family so I don't know if I should list it. My contact person would have to be my sister-in-law, and I know that gets tricky. Thoughts?

Thanks! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Question about whether or not to list an activity:
I was a nanny for my niece from the age of 3 months until 9 months. I watched her for 9 hours a day, two days a week. This was during my second semester of graduate school, so I feel like it is a substantial work experience; however, she is family so I don't know if I should list it. My contact person would have to be my sister-in-law, and I know that gets tricky.
Were you paid? It was Employment. Did you volunteer or get reimbursed with food and a place to live? Then list it under Other. It's fine to use your sister-in-law as a contact, but not for a LOR.

Is the average hours/week space required?

For example, what would I put in it for a research publication? The dates/hours that I worked on that publication?

Thanks!

Is the average hours/week space required?

For example, what would I put in it for a research publication? The dates/hours that I worked on that publication?

Thanks!
Hours per week is not required. The date for the Publication is either the day you got the letter that it was accepted for publication, or (more ideally) the day it was published (on paper or e-published ahead of print).

If you are grouping 2 activities to one slot, who do you put for the time started/ended, and contact?

For instance, I want to group 2 spring break volunteer experiences together, but they were done in 2 different years, with 2 different contacts...what/who would I list? Do I just list one experience's time (March 2012) with the contact and mention the other in the description? Which one should I pick?

Thanks!

If you are grouping 2 activities to one slot, who do you put for the time started/ended, and contact?

For instance, I want to group 2 spring break volunteer experiences together, but they were done in 2 different years, with 2 different contacts...what/who would I list? Do I just list one experience's time (March 2012) with the contact and mention the other in the description? Which one should I pick?

Thanks!
In this case I would pick the most recent experience, and fill in all the header information for that activity alone, Then in the narrative state that you also engaged in another Spring Break Activity. Put all the same information the header requests for the second activity in the narrative, along with the description of what you did.

Were you paid? It was Employment. Did you volunteer or get reimbursed with food and a place to live? Then list it under Other. It's fine to use your sister-in-law as a contact, but not for a LOR.

I was paid...I know that I should list it as employment, that's not the issue. I just didn't know if it would be a conflict of interest or not good experience to list since it is working for family. Would they see that as a cop-out, or a wasted experience? I want to make sure the items I list are going to be looked highly upon.

Also, if I worked at different restaurants in undergrad should I group them all together? I have enough slots to list them separately, but do they care to see a separate entry for 3 different restaurant jobs? Would it be better to have a separate entry for 3 jobs at restaurants and 15 activities, or 13 activities and them all grouped together?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question of where I should list something.

I helped out at my church's summer camp for kids, helping with tutoring, supervising and such. I did get paid a small amount (Probably like $8/hr if you average out how much I worked ....). However, it wasn't a true paid job (in other words, more of "under the table"). I'm thinking I should post it under Volunteering and not Paid Employment, correct?

1) I was paid...I know that I should list it as employment, that's not the issue. I just didn't know if it would be a conflict of interest or not good experience to list since it is working for family. Would they see that as a cop-out, or a wasted experience? I want to make sure the items I list are going to be looked highly upon.

2) Also, if I worked at different restaurants in undergrad should I group them all together? I have enough slots to list them separately, but do they care to see a separate entry for 3 different restaurant jobs? Would it be better to have a separate entry for 3 jobs at restaurants and 15 activities, or 13 activities and them all grouped together?

Thanks!
1) I would view it the same as working in a family business. And you want adcoms to know what you did with your time. The space used would not wasted.

2) I think it would be good to group them.

I have a question of where I should list something.

I helped out at my church's summer camp for kids, helping with tutoring, supervising and such. I did get paid a small amount (Probably like $8/hr if you average out how much I worked ....). However, it wasn't a true paid job (in other words, more of "under the table"). I'm thinking I should post it under Volunteering and not Paid Employment, correct?
List it as Employment. No one is going to ask how the pay was delivered.

This may have already been addressed, but is better to put a phone number or email address on the Work/Activities pages? Which are they more likely to use and actually contact?

This may have already been addressed, but is better to put a phone number or email address on the Work/Activities pages? Which are they more likely to use and actually contact?
Give both or either, as you wish. Individuals will vary in their preferred method of making contact, so a generalization can't be made.

Hey everyone, I have a couple questions

1) My name is on a published abstract and was presented by my research partner at a regional conference. The abstract is not searchable on pubmed. Should I list this as a publication or poster/presentation? It is technically published and I would make it clear that it was an abstract only.

2) I have worked at two research labs. Would it be okay to dedicate one activity slot for each?

3) for the leadership slot, I have two unrelated activities. Is it okay to group them even if they are unrelated? Then I would describe one activity on the page and another in the narrative?

1) My name is on a published abstract and was presented by my research partner at a regional conference. The abstract is not searchable on pubmed. Should I list this as a publication or poster/presentation? It is technically published and I would make it clear that it was an abstract only.

2) I have worked at two research labs. Would it be okay to dedicate one activity slot for each?

3) for the leadership slot, I have two unrelated activities. Is it okay to group them even if they are unrelated? Then I would describe one activity on the page and another in the narrative?
1) Where was it published, locally, regionally, or national journal? Was it peer-reviewed? Can it be searched out through any other database? See if post #407 answers your question.

2) It would be most appropriate to use two spaces.

3) If they are substantive, either use two spaces, or mention one of the leadership positions in the same space with an associated activity, or use grouping as a last choice. If one is substantive, but one is not and can't be linked to another listed activity, then group them.

Couple of quick questions:

1. For a summer I traveled with a very popular band (have a platinum record) as a guitar technician. I was not paid (I was doing it for fun because my brother is a member). Is this worth listing? I was debating it as it seems like I would've just partied my brains out for 3 months (which is nearing accuracy). But on the other hand, it's quite unique.
  2. I'm currently at a major university that holds a fitness competition between all faculty/staff/students in which I placed 5th in, is this something worth mentioning under hobbies/avocation? I train every week for 8-10 hrs regardless of the competition as well….. worth mentioning?
  3. I have a ton of hobbies and stuff but it all just seems like fluff/filler to me, but I'm new to this process and would love some feedback. Things like I home-brew my own beer, I roast my own coffee, guitar/uke/mandolin/banjo/bass player, was a competitive beach volleyball player….. do any of these things matter in the app?

Couple of quick questions:

1. For a summer I traveled with a very popular band (have a platinum record) as a guitar technician. I was not paid (I was doing it for fun because my brother is a member). Is this worth listing? I was debating it as it seems like I would've just partied my brains out for 3 months (which is nearing accuracy). But on the other hand, it's quite unique.
  2. I'm currently at a major university that holds a fitness competition between all faculty/staff/students in which I placed 5th in, is this something worth mentioning under hobbies/avocation? I train every week for 8-10 hrs regardless of the competition as well….. worth mentioning?
  3. I have a ton of hobbies and stuff but it all just seems like fluff/filler to me, but I'm new to this process and would love some feedback. Things like I home-brew my own beer, I roast my own coffee, guitar/uke/mandolin/banjo/bass player, was a competitive beach volleyball player….. do any of these things matter in the app?
1) What was your role? Are you a tuner and repairer of guitars? Then why not emphasize that component the the experience, which is more unique than backup guitar in a band.
2) Yes. Make placing in the contest an addendum to the description of fitness involvement. It's a good story, full of WIN in more ways than one.
3) Yes. Adcomms like to know that you have leisuretime activities that help control stress. But use your judgement: don't list microbrewing for three years if you are 21. Roasting one's own coffee is something I haven't seen, that's a good one to give details about. Anything where your Art is shared publically would be an Artistic Endeavor rather than a Hobby.

1) What was your role? Are you a tuner and repairer of guitars? Then why not emphasize that component the the experience, which is more unique than backup guitar in a band.
2) Yes. Make placing in the contest an addendum to the description of fitness involvement. It's a good story, full of WIN in more ways than one.
3) Yes. Adcomms like to know that you have leisuretime activities that help control stress. But use your judgement: don't list microbrewing for three years if you are 21. Roasting one's own coffee is something I haven't seen, that's a good one to give details about. Anything where your Art is shared publically would be an Artistic Endeavor rather than a Hobby.

I essentially tuned guitars, maintained them, restrung them, did sound checks, and handed off guitars between songs. I was not the backup guitarist at all! I wish I were that good.

Awesome advice, sincere thanks.

In this case I would pick the most recent experience, and fill in all the header information for that activity alone, Then in the narrative state that you also engaged in another Spring Break Activity. Put all the same information the header requests for the second activity in the narrative, along with the description of what you did.
Thanks!

What do you write for the award date for "Dean's list" if you are on the dean's list multiple times?

(1) if I want to group all my paid emplyments during my undergraduate all together, any clue in how to write the contact information, organization name or the start and end date of each?

(2) I adopted a child in Chad (Africa) for a year through World Vision organization, I was paying a small amount of money monthly, sending him school stuff and communicating with him via letters. Any idea what the experience type and name should be?

Thanks!

(1) if I want to group all my paid emplyments during my undergraduate all together, any clue in how to write the contact information, organization name or the start and end date of each?

(2) I adopted a child in Chad (Africa) for a year through World Vision organization, I was paying a small amount of money monthly, sending him school stuff and communicating with him via letters. Any idea what the experience type and name should be?

Thanks!
1) Unless all the employers were your university, the information you put in the header should apply only to one of the jobs, usually the most recent. Then in the narrative, put the same info for each other job, preceded by the dates. For example:
5/2011-8/2011 Cook for McDonalds, 38 hours per week, Tinytown, Ca: contact Ronald McDonald at [email protected]
9/2010-4/2011 Chemistry Tutor through Minority Affairs Office 5 hours per week, UCLA: contact Ann Jones [email protected]
5/2010-9/2010 Waitperson at Chili's, 50 hours per week, Tinytown, Ca: contact Restaurant Manager at 555-555-5555.

2) If you are convinced this will enhance your application in some way, use Other and maybe "International Pen Pal."

Hey Catalystik, another question here. I would like to include my sport as one of my most meaningful activities, since it's something I spend a lot of time on and has shaped who I am. I was thinking I could fit this in by listing my state records as an Award, and then going into more detail about how the sport has impacted me under the meaningful essay. Does this sound like a good idea or would you list it as its own thing - my only concern is that I don't know who I would put as my contact.

Should I send in my transcripts before I submit my application, or after?

You should send them as soon as you have all of the grades on them that you want on your application. If your transcripts haven't arrived by the time you submit your application, AMCAS will not even put your application in the queue for verification until they receive all of your transcripts.

I would like to include my sport as one of my most meaningful activities, since it's something I spend a lot of time on and has shaped who I am. I was thinking I could fit this in by listing my state records as an Award, and then going into more detail about how the sport has impacted me under the meaningful essay. Does this sound like a good idea or would you list it as its own thing - my only concern is that I don't know who I would put as my contact.
You could do that, or alternatively, you might use Intercollegiate Sports or Hobbies/Avocations, and then mention all the awards in the description for that space.

For a contact, you could use an old coach or mentor, or a team captain or teammate.

You should send them as soon as you have all of the grades on them that you want on your application. If your transcripts haven't arrived by the time you submit your application, AMCAS will not even put your application in the queue for verification until they receive all of your transcripts.
AMCAS is accepting transcripts now. If all your grades are posted, you can send them in well in advance of submitting the primary, and they will be held until you pay your fee upon submission.

AAMC ID: XXXXXXX

Golaso

AMCAS has received a transcript in support of your application to the 2013 entering class.

Transcript: X University, Received, on 05/11/2012

Should AMCAS determine during verification that we require official transcripts other than those listed above or that any received transcript listed above is unofficial, illegible, or incomplete, you will be notified and your application will not be processed until we receive all required transcripts.

***Checking the Status of Your Application***

You may check the status of your application throughout the admissions process by returning to your application. The Details link on the Main Menu of your application provides information specific to your application, including processing and transcript statuses.

Thank you for using AMCAS.

Last Summer, I helped out with disaster relief efforts with the Jopin tornados that tore through joplin, MO. We cleaned the sites where houses used to be and separated the remains into different piles (wood, metal, appliances, etc.) should I classify this as "community service/Volunteer- Not Medical/Clinical" since I didnt actually interact with any injured people? (instead of Medical/Clinical) I just helped clean their house/yard/etc.

thanks

GO CANES!

Last Summer, I helped out with disaster relief efforts with the Jopin tornados that tore through joplin, MO. We cleaned the sites where houses used to be and separated the remains into different piles (wood, metal, appliances, etc.) should I classify this as "community service/Volunteer- Not Medical/Clinical" since I didnt actually interact with any injured people? (instead of Medical/Clinical) I just helped clean their house/yard/etc.

thanks

GO CANES!
Yes, that's non-medical community service. How long was your involvement?

Yes, that's non-medical community service. How long was your involvement?

I went for 2 days and worked the entire day. Each day would go like this get to the hospital at 7am. drive from St. Louis to Joplin (a 5 hour drive) and get there by noon, eat lunch on the bus, work from 12-5 and then drive back to St. Louis and get back home by 10pm.

Should I even include this in the app? it was only 10 hours of actual community service, but 30 hours of volunteering my time. If to be included, how many hours can I write down for my app?
(if it makes a difference, the intro to my personal statement was about this experience)

Another Q:

I have already been offered a job during my gap year as a scribe via the company physassist scribe...where in the application do I mention this? I know you're not supposed to list future actitivies in this section.

**************/scribe/faq

"Scribe Job Description

What do scribes do?

Scribes provide real-time charting for physicians by shadowing them throughout their shifts and performing a variety of tasks, including recording patients' history and chief complaints, transcribing physical exams, ordering x-rays, recording diagnostic test results, and preparing plans for follow-up care. Each shift, you will be assigned to a doctor or physician assistant and work side-by-side with them as they see patients. This means you will be in the room during each evaluation, documenting directly from the conversation between the doctor and patient. "

That typing thing can't be legit.. I can type more than 120wpm.

What if I don't have a name for the contact person? I worked at a bookstore several years ago but don't remember my boss's name.

1. I am planning to use bullet points for my activities, with a few sentences explaining how it helped me 'grow' underneath the bullet points for several of the activities.

For example:
Store Employee
-stocked supplies
-helped customers

This experience taught me to prioritize my time and balance classes and work.

Any comments on how good or how bad of an idea this is? I figure it offers a quick explanation for anyone who happens to be skimming and allows for deeper insight at the same time.

2. This is a silly opinion question but does the tense matter when discussing activities. Should I say 'stocked supplies' for an activity that i used to do and 'stock supplies' for something that i presently do? I know it probably doesnt matter but I tend to overthink grammer things haha.

3. I did a very minimal amount of hospital volunteering (30hrs) and I also worked with several clubs at events where I would take peoples blood pressures and blood glucose readings. Would it be okay to group these things together under clinical volunteering? It seems like they both belong under that category and I feel silly listing the volunteering by itself because its so minimal.

4. Where would bone marrow drive coordinator fall under? Im leaning towards non-clinical volunteering since I just registered people to become potential bone marrow donors in the future and there was no actual donation at the site.

5. Would it be okay to not list hourly committment and just list total hours worked in the description if the time was randomly spread out over several years?

6. If I did several research poster presentations at my own school should I list them under the research itself instead of listing them in a seperate category? I had to apply for these presentations but most people who applied were accepted so I dont particularly consider it to be a great honor. Im just not sure if maybe listing it seperately will make the research look more impressive.

Another Q:

I have already been offered a job during my gap year as a scribe via the company physassist scribe...where in the application do I mention this? I know you're not supposed to list future actitivies in this section.

**************/scribe/faq

"Scribe Job Description

What do scribes do?

Scribes provide real-time charting for physicians by shadowing them throughout their shifts and performing a variety of tasks, including recording patients' history and chief complaints, transcribing physical exams, ordering x-rays, recording diagnostic test results, and preparing plans for follow-up care. Each shift, you will be assigned to a doctor or physician assistant and work side-by-side with them as they see patients. This means you will be in the room during each evaluation, documenting directly from the conversation between the doctor and patient. "
You might allude to it at the end of your PS or save it in case a Secondary question gives you an opportunity to mention it. Or you could wait until the month the activity will begin before you will submit, so it can be listed. Of course, you'd have nothing very helpful to say about it in the latter case. And what if something happens to keep you from starting the Experience as you have claimed.

1. I am planning to use bullet points for my activities, with a few sentences explaining how it helped me 'grow' underneath the bullet points for several of the activities.

For example:
Store Employee
-stocked supplies
-helped customers

This experience taught me to prioritize my time and balance classes and work.

Any comments on how good or how bad of an idea this is? I figure it offers a quick explanation for anyone who happens to be skimming and allows for deeper insight at the same time.

2. This is a silly opinion question but does the tense matter when discussing activities. Should I say 'stocked supplies' for an activity that i used to do and 'stock supplies' for something that i presently do? I know it probably doesnt matter but I tend to overthink grammer things haha.

3. I did a very minimal amount of hospital volunteering (30hrs) and I also worked with several clubs at events where I would take peoples blood pressures and blood glucose readings. Would it be okay to group these things together under clinical volunteering? It seems like they both belong under that category and I feel silly listing the volunteering by itself because its so minimal.

4. Where would bone marrow drive coordinator fall under? Im leaning towards non-clinical volunteering since I just registered people to become potential bone marrow donors in the future and there was no actual donation at the site.

5. Would it be okay to not list hourly committment and just list total hours worked in the description if the time was randomly spread out over several years?

6. If I did several research poster presentations at my own school should I list them under the research itself instead of listing them in a seperate category? I had to apply for these presentations but most people who applied were accepted so I dont particularly consider it to be a great honor. Im just not sure if maybe listing it seperately will make the research look more impressive.
1) I like it fine.

2) Making the tense appropriate as you describe makes sense.

3) Yes. Total all the hours together at the end.

4) I would use nonmedical community service.

5) Yes. Describe the intermittency of the activity in the narrative.

6) It is most appropriate to list campus posters/presentations with the Research listing. It's better to undersell rather than oversell an activity.

If I'm compiling a list of honors and awards in one slot, should I mention a pretty notable fellowship that I got but had to turn down due to logistical reasons? Or should I just leave it out? Thanks!

Also, does anyone know how to use bullet points in the slot? I thought we can't use formatting...? Thanks1

Also, does anyone know how to use bullet points in the slot? I thought we can't use formatting...? Thanks1
An example:
bullet point formatting:

P*A*C:
- Organization is comprised of twenty undergraduate students elected by active members to serve for one year period.
- Members acted with the student council as representatives for the student body at major school functions (board meetings, fundraising events, commemorative dinners, etcs)
- Minimum 1 hour weekly time commitment (not including attended events)

Inter-Club Council (ICC)
- The ICC helps approved Pepperdine clubs gain access to funding and event planning information.
- The ICC is responsible for the allocation of $40,000 in student-led initiatives each semester.
- I was ICC representative for Waves for Change in 2006 and 2007.
- 1 hour weekly time commitment
Credit to MalibuPreMed for his input. You can use the preview feature for PDF to see how it will look to adcomms.

You might also try using the copy paste function for a real bullet, as it's been reported to work for some. Be sure to preview how it will look.

Last edited:
If I'm compiling a list of honors and awards in one slot, should I mention a pretty notable fellowship that I got but had to turn down due to logistical reasons? Or should I just leave it out? Thanks!
Would the name be recognized nationally? Can you prove it (contact name would do)? It might be worth mentioning, along with a description of the competitive process, and the reason you didn't accept.

So if I carry a job from the summer into the school year, for the Hours/week section should I put my summer or semester hours? Or do I leave it blank and explain I worked 40 hours per week during the summer and 15 during the semester?

Status
Not open for further replies.