*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2012-2013*~*~*~*

Started by sector9
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Regarding the number of work/activities, I have come out to a total of 7-8 entries (after grouping a few together and trying to cut aroudn spacefilling/bs). However, the general consensus and polls seem to indicate that most people listed around 13-15 entries. I was wondering if 7-8 entries would look bad or too few?
 
Regarding the number of work/activities, I have come out to a total of 7-8 entries (after grouping a few together and trying to cut aroudn spacefilling/bs). However, the general consensus and polls seem to indicate that most people listed around 13-15 entries. I was wondering if 7-8 entries would look bad or too few?
My experience is that 9-10 entries are about the average. As few as five beefy activities are fine. Three would look too sparse. I think you're fine as you are.
 
My experience is that 9-10 entries are about the average. As few as five beefy activities are fine. Three would look too sparse. I think you're fine as you are.

Catalystik, thanks for the quick response. I feel that I can easily stretch to 9-10, however I feel that grouping together is more approriate, brief, and a pleasant/easier read.

Also, do you reccomend the descriptions to be in bullet form or paragraph form? I feel that I can do a much better/clearer job explaining some of the obvious as bullet points, but one side of me says this is too informal? Would it be strange to do some in bullet form and others in paragraph form (or use some sentances and bullet points within the same entry)?

Thank you in in advance.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering if i got AP credit for Biology and its listed on my transcript as two 4 credit classes - should i enter it twice in my first semester or just once and call it 8 credits?
 
1) Catalystik, thanks for the quick response. I feel that I can easily stretch to 9-10, however I feel that grouping together is more approriate, brief, and a pleasant/easier read.

2) Also, do you reccomend the descriptions to be in bullet form or paragraph form? I feel that I can do a much better/clearer job explaining some of the obvious as bullet points, but one side of me says this is too informal? Would it be strange to do some in bullet form and others in paragraph form (or use some sentances and bullet points within the same entry)?
1) I would much rather read one meaty entry than three weak ones listed on their own. So I think our philosophies match.

2) See item #4 in post 2: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=12260932&postcount=2
Mix or match styles, as seems best suited to the topic.
 
I was wondering if i got AP credit for Biology and its listed on my transcript as two 4 credit classes - should i enter it twice in my first semester or just once and call it 8 credits?
Transcript questions are outside the scope of this thread (which is related to the Experiences section only). You can be helped in this thread if a Search of it doesn't find that your question has already been answered: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=895286
 
Hi Catalystik,

During one semester at college, I was involved in the Academic Internship Program, which allowed us to intern somewhere off campus and had an associated seminar on campus. I worked at a hospital in the office, doing administrative work including filing and pulling charts for clinic, answering telephone calls from patients and other doctors offices, and sometimes scheduling patients for clinic. I also went to grand rounds every week and then shadowed in the clinic and inpatient ward. Should I put this down as "other" and do you think I should describe the associated seminar (which was on professional ethics).

Thank you!
 
I'm currently in the process of creating an LLC/Trademark for a project that I was doing on the side. Since this is a long process and I don't have it completed, is it worth it to put it on?
 
During one semester at college, I was involved in the Academic Internship Program, which allowed us to intern somewhere off campus and had an associated seminar on campus. I worked at a hospital in the office, doing administrative work including filing and pulling charts for clinic, answering telephone calls from patients and other doctors offices, and sometimes scheduling patients for clinic. I also went to grand rounds every week and then shadowed in the clinic and inpatient ward. Should I put this down as "other" and do you think I should describe the associated seminar (which was on professional ethics).
Were you paid?
Did you get class credit?
What percent of the time did you spend talking with patients on the phone?
How many hours did you shahdow?
Yes, you can mention the associated seminar in the description.

Please multiquote both our posts in your response.
 
Should i include the name of the abstract for a poster that was presented at two small school conferences? I am listing the conferences as part of my research activity because they were not too competitive in their selection process and thus do not warrant their own space.

What I have listed now is (among other aspects of the research):
-Developed research project on 'such and such'
-Presented research abstract and poster at 1.blah blah and 2. blah blah conferences

Is the name of the abstract needed?
 
Should i include the name of the abstract for a poster that was presented at two small school conferences? I am listing the conferences as part of my research activity because they were not too competitive in their selection process and thus do not warrant their own space.

What I have listed now is (among other aspects of the research):
-Developed research project on 'such and such'
-Presented research abstract and poster at 1.blah blah and 2. blah blah conferences

Is the name of the abstract needed?
Isn't the title of the abstract and poster title the same or similar? I see no reason to gvie both titles. I assume the abstract was the summary of the poster that you submitted to get approval for inclusion at the conference. Correct me if this is not true. What do you mean when you say you "presented the abstract"? At a podium? Or in front of your poster?

I agree with your plan for listing the two campus conferences.
 
I am a manager at my place of employment where I have to train and manage employees would that be considered leadership or just paid employment? Leadership is the one thing I'm lacking in my activities but I don't want to just put something there that doesn't belong...

Edit: this is also my most meaningful experience due to all the other duties that the job had so I want to classify it correctly.
 
Last edited:
I am a manager at my place of employment where I have to train and manage employees would that be considered leadership or just paid employment? Leadership is the one thing I'm lacking in my activities but I don't want to just put something there that doesn't belong...

Edit: this is also my most meaningful experience due to all the other duties that the job had so I want to classify it correctly.
It is certainly Leadership, but you probably weren't in a managment role for the full span of your dates of employment. If you want to use Leadership, and title the activity Manager of XXX, which is fine, you'd put the date span for leadershiip only in the header, and then give the back story with dates as a regular employee in the narrative. Alternatively, you could title the activity Employee and Manager for XXXXX. Then you could use the full date span of employment, but specify in the description when the leadership began.

Last Alternative: you could split out the leadership and use two spaces, with the other listed as Employment.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for all the advice in this thread. I have a question about how to break down entries for my various work with one student organization.

I was part of the leadership for an engineering student organization that worked on development projects in Haiti. The leadership aspect was co-chairman and involved helping to recruit new members, organize meetings, organize trips, develop new projects, and eventually spun the organization off into an Engineers Without Borders chapter for the nationally recognized name etc (i was not part of EWB group leadership however, ratcheted back to just student member by that point).

As a member of the group though I did extensive research and development on one specific water project with a few other people. I spent ~24 hours a week one summer researching other systems and doing design work on ours, travelled a couple times for topographic and social surveys and eventually put together a detailed plan for the system. I went on to work full time in Haiti (separate entry) partially doing some work with this project and its now in the ground and operational. We also ended up presenting this project to a few different organizations and conferences (Haitian govt, EPA, other engineering professional groups) and wound up getting about $25,000 in grants for the development and initial construction costs.

My main question is how, if at all, I should separate these. I was thinking 3 spaces:
1 - Leadership: detailing role as cochair on the organizational operations of student org
2 - Research(?): detailing scope of work on the project (along with this entry or the fulltime job there or both as most meaningful experience)
3 - Presentations: detailing the various groups we presented to and the grants we received from each. (its about 4 or 5 different ones).

Is that too separated? Should i try to lump #3 in with #2, or have all 3 as simply one big entry. Character counts would be limiting in that case. Thanks.
I agree with 1) and 2)-except I'm not sure that "Research" is the appropriate designation. The whole project is so multifaceted, I'd think "Other" might be better. For 3), I'd list it under Honors/Awards (starting with the grant total), and then giving the back story about the presentations. If you are forced to do some grouping, I'd add 3) to 2) where you'd have more space, since it will be "Most Meaningful".
 
Hey guys I have 18 experiences to put in the 15 slots. I originally combined 2 leadership experiences and had a co-authored publication in it's own slot. Based on some feedback I think it may be best to split up the two leadership experiences into their own slots, which means that I'd have to put the publication with the associated research experience.

I've read on this thread that one should really have a publication in it's own slot to emphasize it. If I devote a slot to the publication, I'd have two pretty different activities (Manager of a business and organizer for the American Red Cross) in one activity slot (combined solely because I listed both as leadership experiences). Can someone please give some feedback?
That soluntion could work OK. Or, if you have an Awards/Honors slot, can you move each entry to the associated activty and ditch the deans list stuff?
 
It is certainly Leadership, but you probably weren't in a managment role for the full span of your dates of employment. If you want to use Leadership, and title the activity Manager of XXX, which is fine, you'd put the date span for leadershiip only in the header, and then give the back story with dates as a regular employee in the narrative. Alternatively, you could title the activity Employee and Manager for XXXXX. Then you could use the full date span of employment, but specify in the description when the leadership began.

Last Alternative: you could split out the leadership and use two spaces, with the other listed as Employment.

Well first off, thanks for being so quick with the replies, you're a lifesaver! I like the options you listed above. I think I will split up my non managerial and managerial time between a paid work and a leadership only because I've had this job since 2003 so there is substantial time in both. Do you think I should make the leadership entry my most meaningful and leave the work entry alone? They both fall under my most meaningful because experiences from both positions were very meaningful to me, but I think I'd be better off just using the managerial leadership slot for it...
 
Last edited:
That soluntion could work OK. Or, if you have an Awards/Honors slot, can you move each entry to the associated activty and ditch the deans list stuff?

Thank you for the response Catalyst. I actually don't have any Awards/Honors slot. The only significant award I got I put in with the associated research space.

edit...thank you Catalyst.
 
Last edited:
I had a few questions....

1. Is it worth mentioning in my academic recognition work/activity slot that I was a nominee for a important scholarship?

2. I am going to be a teaching assistant in the summer and was wondering how to list that.

3. If I was part of executive board of a volunteer student organization, would that be considered leadership or volunteer? What about for a mentor?

Please if anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated! 🙂
 
I actually don't have any Awards/Honors slot. The only significant award I got I put in with the associated research space.

I'd rather not combine the publication with the associated research but if combining Manager and Organizer for the American Red Cross is inappropriate then I may have to.
It's for you to decide on the most appropriate arrangement.
 
Last edited:
1. Is it worth mentioning in my academic recognition work/activity slot that I was a nominee for a important scholarship?

2. I am going to be a teaching assistant in the summer and was wondering how to list that.

3. a) If I was part of executive board of a volunteer student organization, would that be considered leadership or volunteer? b) What about for a mentor?
1) No. Unless you get the grant before submission day. Or else you can consider including it in a future update letter if you get it.

2) If it doesn't start before you submit, you can't list it. If you wait until that day, you can list it, but you won't have much of substance to say about it. Some Secondary essays give you an opportunity to mention future and ongoing activities, though.

3a) If you have no other nonmedical community service, I'd choose that. If you do, then pick Leadership. Sometimes, you get a choice.

3b) I would choose Teaching.
 
Isn't the title of the abstract and poster title the same or similar? I see no reason to gvie both titles. I assume the abstract was the summary of the poster that you submitted to get approval for inclusion at the conference. Correct me if this is not true. What do you mean when you say you "presented the abstract"? At a podium? Or in front of your poster?

I agree with your plan for listing the two campus conferences.

Yep you are correct. No i meant i presented my poster by standing in front of it and talking about it. Is the word presented misleading there?

I did not give the exact title of my poster in the description of the activity either. I just gave a quick, easy to understand summary of my research project. Im sorry if i wasnt clear enough, but should the scientific title of the poster be put in the description as well?
 
You can describe the project, but not an uncompleted process of application. Intentions don't count for much.

It's currently being filled tho, I guess I could always send an update to schools when it gets complete. It's a nutrition oriented product.
 
1) Yep you are correct. No i meant i presented my poster by standing in front of it and talking about it. Is the word presented misleading there?

2) I did not give the exact title of my poster in the description of the activity either. I just gave a quick, easy to understand summary of my research project. Im sorry if i wasnt clear enough, but should the scientific title of the poster be put in the description as well?
I think of "Presentation" as meaning a podium presentation in front of an seated audience. Maybe it's just me.

2) Usually, the title of the poster is cited, along with the author list, or by saying which authorship belongs to you, eg "I was second author on a poster titled, . . ., presented at XX University Research Symposium Day, 2/7/2011" (after the description of the research). Or you can shorten it if you don't have the space: "2/7/11, presented a poster, title, as first author at a campus event.
 
1) I like the options you listed above. I think I will split up my non managerial and managerial time between a paid work and a leadership only because I've had this job since 2003 so there is substantial time in both.
2) Do you think I should make the leadership entry my most meaningful and leave the work entry alone? They both fall under my most meaningful because experiences from both positions were very meaningful to me, but I think I'd be better off just using the managerial leadership slot for it...
1) It's even better if both enties are substantial.

2) If you create two entries, you'll have to decide where to place the emphasis. Leadership makes more sense to me, but i don't know the whole story.
 
thank you for the advice. I should have enough slots for 3 entries so I'll go with leadership, other & honors/awards. If i dont have any other research, is it too much of a stretch to label #2 as such?
Yes. At least that's my impression from what you've said. It seems more like background or project or thesis research using other sources rather than hypothesis-driven research for which the AMCAS designation is intended.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Cat,

I was elected for 2012-2013 academic year president for my pre-med club (have inductions and everything back in begining of April) and my co-presidents and I have already begun some work, planning speakers and events for the Fall. Would it still be a big No No to list this "future" event? Or is it Ok since I have already started contacting speakers, planning activities, etc.

Thanks!
 
Hey Cat,

I was elected for 2012-2013 academic year president for my pre-med club (have inductions and everything back in begining of April) and my co-presidents and I have already begun some work, planning speakers and events for the Fall. Would it still be a big No No to list this "future" event? Or is it Ok since I have already started contacting speakers, planning activities, etc.
It isn't a future event if you title the activity as President Elect of XXX Club and discuss the leadership activites you've already undertaken. Use the date of the election for onset.
 
If my manuscript is being prepared for submission (not submitted nor accepted yet), what do I put as the publication date?

Thanks in advance.
 
If my manuscript is being prepared for submission (not submitted nor accepted yet), what do I put as the publication date?
As it has not been accepted or published, you cannot list a publication date. Instead, mention the manuscript preparation at the end of the affiliated Research entry. When it's accepted, you can let schools know via update letter.
 
I had the opportunity to teach over eighty 3rd year dental students at AT Still University how to bend Hawley retainers. I wanted to put this on my application but i'm wondering if this is opening myself up to ridicule from admissions committee wondering why I had work in the dental field.

In addition to this, I addressed in my personal statement that originally I wanted to go to dental school until I had a life changing experience....

Do you think that I should include this as one of my work/activities? I was going to put it under teaching/tutoring, is there something else that would be more appropriate?

Thanks,

TS.
 
I had the opportunity to teach over eighty 3rd year dental students at AT Still University how to bend Hawley retainers. I wanted to put this on my application but i'm wondering if this is opening myself up to ridicule from admissions committee wondering why I had work in the dental field.

In addition to this, I addressed in my personal statement that originally I wanted to go to dental school until I had a life changing experience....

Do you think that I should include this as one of my work/activities? I was going to put it under teaching/tutoring, is there something else that would be more appropriate?
The topic doesn't take away from the fact that you gave a major presentation, which is a skill that translates well to a desirable characteristic in a physician. Of course, you can list it. And certainly you should include background information as to why you had the required expertise. I think it belongs under Teaching, also.

If you shadowed dentists, it's fine to include that with the physician shadowing.
 
Should we indent our paragraphs when writing our PS, and meaningful experiences? It would save me so many characters if we didn't have to.
 
Just curious if anyone else has run into a similar issue. I inputted some information into the Work/Activities section through bullet point (lumped a few work activities together).

But, for two activities now, every time I reach 685 characters, it won't save my work. It will let me continue typing until 700, but when I go back to visit the entry, it's back at 685 and has deleted the words beyond it. Anyone else have this problem?
 
Is it bad I have never joined a club?

Well I joined a chemical engineering club once but didnt really get much out of it so I stopped attending.

Also should I put down that I worked as a scribe for a short period of time? Basically the contract between the scribe company and hospital recently broke so I only was there for a few months. I don't know if I should even include this.
 
Last edited:
Should we try to order our activities on AMCAS at all? Or just throw it all on there in any order?

Sorry if this was asked already, didn't see anything after a quick search.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1) Is it bad I have never joined a club?

Well I joined a chemical engineering club once but didnt really get much out of it so I stopped attending.

2) Also should I put down that I worked as a scribe for a short period of time? Basically the contract between the scribe company and hospital recently broke so I only was there for a few months. I don't know if I should even include this.
1) As long as you demonstrate a variety of interests in other ways, club membership isn't necessary. Joining clubs without getting involved isn't going to help anyway. One advantage of clubs is the provision of a usable contact, but that can be managed as well.

2) If applicants can list one week of alternative spring break, I see no reason why you can't include a few months of scribing.
 
Just curious if anyone else has run into a similar issue. I inputted some information into the Work/Activities section through bullet point (lumped a few work activities together).

But, for two activities now, every time I reach 685 characters, it won't save my work. It will let me continue typing until 700, but when I go back to visit the entry, it's back at 685 and has deleted the words beyond it. Anyone else have this problem?
Bumped so someone who's figured it out will chime in.
 
Just curious if anyone else has run into a similar issue. I inputted some information into the Work/Activities section through bullet point (lumped a few work activities together).

But, for two activities now, every time I reach 685 characters, it won't save my work. It will let me continue typing until 700, but when I go back to visit the entry, it's back at 685 and has deleted the words beyond it. Anyone else have this problem?
This same thing happened to me last year. I ended up just making my descriptions 685 characters (or whatever it would save for me). However, others reported success with different browsers (I think Internet Explorer possibly?)

I remember downgrading my Firefox to an older "supported" version on my Mac but it still wouldn't work for me
 
I lost the last few characters on my entries as well. Very annoying when you spending hours editing it to the last character, only to realize you must edit some more.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.