*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2018-2019*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Replicated:
Throughout college ive done a handful of different sports through clubs, intramural and semi pro. Should I add intramural sports that ive participated in throughout college on my application or will it just look like a bunch of clutter?
Activities that demonstrate teamwork add value to your application. But sometimes you include activities because they interest you greatly, to show dedication over a long period of time, or so adcomms know what you do with your leisure-time. Since you don't need a separate space for each sport, group them, if you wish.
And LizzyM said:
Sports will humanize you and if you are fortunate to get a reviewer or interviewer who has been engaged in the same sport, it may spark a conversation. Go for it.

Members don't see this ad.

Replicated on non-campus leadership
May I ask what are some leadership roles besides starting a club on campus or being the president of one. Leading clubs isn't my type of thing. Can owning your own business count as leadership experience?
Yes, as long as you're coordinating other people and not doing all the work yourself. You might also rise to a training role at a lab, with a volunteer position, or take on a chair position for a Habitat for Humanity build. You might organize others to meet a need at a site where you volunteer, eg, for a food drive, personal items donation, school supplies for kids in a poor district, or even a vacant lot cleanup effort.

Replicated on leadership:
would being a teacher at a local Sunday school count towards a leadership role?
No. Adcomms are looking for peer leadership. Examples from a faith-based environment: If you were in charge of the Sunday School program, recruiting and training teachers, scheduling and monitoring them, and responsible for outcomes, then that would be Leadership, for med school application purposes. So would it be were you the chair of a committee, like for planning a summer gala, recruiting and organizing other members for elder property cleanup and painting, or somesuch.

Members don't see this ad :)
My summer research internship recently concluded, and I gave a short presentation on the project that I worked on, along with the other interns. I mentioned briefly in my AMCAS (submitted in June) that I'd be doing a presentation in August (but I didn't specify the topic of my presentation, which I hadn't determined yet), so would it be of any benefit to include this presentation in any secondaries or update letters in the future? I have no other research productivity. Also, if I should include it, would a couple sentences be a sufficient description? Thanks.

My summer research internship recently concluded, and I gave a short presentation on the project that I worked on, along with the other interns. I mentioned briefly in my AMCAS (submitted in June) that I'd be doing a presentation in August (but I didn't specify the topic of my presentation, which I hadn't determined yet), so would it be of any benefit to include this presentation in any secondaries or update letters in the future? I have no other research productivity. Also, if I should include it, would a couple sentences be a sufficient description? Thanks.
Where did you present, who was the audience, and was it required as part of the internship?

Where did you present, who was the audience, and was it required as part of the internship?

I presented in the same location as the internship, on the campus of my university. The audience wasn't that big; it consisted of other interns and their families, the physicians who were our supervisors, and also other employees of the department I interned in. It was required as part of the internship.

I presented in the same location as the internship, on the campus of my university. The audience wasn't that big; it consisted of other interns and their families, the physicians who were our supervisors, and also other employees of the department I interned in. It was required as part of the internship.
Yes, it would be fine to include in Secondary responses or future update letters. I suggest something along the lines of, "I gave a campus podium presentation on [topic] 8/2/18 at the end of my summer research internship, at [city and state]." Add one sentence of elaboration on research findings, if any.

Reactions: 1 user
Replicated:
1) I just had a few questions regarding the AMCAS Work and Activities Section. So, I'm going to apply to Med School during the next cycle and, at the moment, I think I am lacking slightly on Section 5 as I don't have 15 activities, or even close to 15 to be honest.
2) I recently got an email accepting me as a Tutor for Varsity Tutors and I was wondering if this would be a substantial activity to include on my AMCAS EC's as a "Paid Experience - non Medical/Clinical". Of course, getting paid on the side as a tutor for this company is great but I was wondering if it would bolster my application if I don't have any other employment activities - or around 15 activities in general. Oh, and if I take the job, I am planning to stay employed for over 6 months and would be tutoring in the Sciences so that's good too lol.

3) Another question I had is that I know of this Court near me that has volunteers look over young kids when their parents are in a court hearing. What volunteering category would this fall under? I would love to take part in this volunteer experience anyhow, but I'm just wondering if it's something that I could also include on my application (especially if I continue it from now until I around when I apply!).
1) The average applicant lists 9-10 activities, so don't feel there's an obligation to put something into every available slot.

2) Teaching experience adds appeal to your application and is a better category to use if you have nothing else for that, like mentoring, coaching, TA. You can make it clear it was employment with the name you give the space.

3) This would be Community Service-Not Medical/Clinical.
If I have one (or two) other activities for Tutoring/Teaching though, would it be beneficial to put the Varsity Tutoring as Employment? Or would it still be better to list it as Teaching/Tutoring and then just describing it as employment in the description?
If you have other activities under the Teaching tag, then it would be better to use the Employment-Not Medical/Clinical tag for this one, to better balance your application.

@Catalystik I am in a scribe job which I will leave at the end of September. However, I am writing about this experience in my secondaries, which I will submit this month. Would you recommend talking about the scribe job in present tense for these secondaries even though I know I'm leaving soon? I have not formally indicated to medical schools that I will be quitting, other than for schools that ask for future plans.

@Catalystik I am in a scribe job which I will leave at the end of September. However, I am writing about this experience in my secondaries, which I will submit this month. Would you recommend talking about the scribe job in present tense for these secondaries even though I know I'm leaving soon? I have not formally indicated to medical schools that I will be quitting, other than for schools that ask for future plans.
I think that using present tense is fine.

I think that using present tense is fine.

Thanks! Also, I did a unique community service activity abroad the summer before college started and once during the summer after freshman year. I did not include this on AMCAS because a) felt it might be considered too old since it was 5 years ago and not continuous b) did not have room in the place of more recent activities c) knew it would be difficult to get a verifiable contact

However, now as I write secondaries, I'm finding some prompts where this activity would fit in really well. Can I still include it in secondaries? Or would it look fishy to schools since I didn't include on AMCAS?

I did a unique community service activity abroad the summer before college started and once during the summer after freshman year. I did not include this on AMCAS because a) felt it might be considered too old since it was 5 years ago and not continuous b) did not have room in the place of more recent activities c) knew it would be difficult to get a verifiable contact

However, now as I write secondaries, I'm finding some prompts where this activity would fit in really well. Can I still include it in secondaries? Or would it look fishy to schools since I didn't include on AMCAS?
Sure, you can write about it. It won't look "fishy;" it will be something fresh. The beauty of having waited is that you needn't provide an official Contact.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure, you can write about it. It won't look "fishy;" it will be something fresh. The beauty of having waited is that you needn't provide an official Contact.

Should I specify the time range when writing the activity, like "The summer before college, I worked in..." or can I leave this out too? Also, the prompt is basically, "Describe your most meaningful/most important community service." Does this mean they want us to elaborate on one of our most meaningful activities on AMCAS?

1) Should I specify the time range when writing the activity, like "The summer before college, I worked in..." or can I leave this out too?
2) Also, the prompt is basically, "Describe your most meaningful/most important community service." Does this mean they want us to elaborate on one of our most meaningful activities on AMCAS?
1) You can leave it out, or be vague, like, "During my college years . . . ," or be specific, as you wish.

2) "Most Important" and "Most Meaningful" aren't necessarily the same, but if you did list a Community Service as MM on the Primary, it is a candidate for further discussion.

1) You can leave it out, or be vague, like, "During my college years . . . ," or be specific, as you wish.

2) "Most Important" and "Most Meaningful" aren't necessarily the same, but if you did list a Community Service as MM on the Primary, it is a candidate for further discussion.

Sorry, I didn't understand what you meant by this part... If it says "most meaningful" in the prompt, then we would be better of elaborating on a MM from our AMCAS?

The exact prompt is actually, "Briefly describe your most satisfying experience related to community service." So, would it be fine to write about something before college/during early first year of college that's not on my AMCAS?

1) If it says "most meaningful" in the prompt, then we would be better of elaborating on a MM from our AMCAS?

2) The exact prompt is actually, "Briefly describe your most satisfying experience related to community service." So, would it be fine to write about something before college/during early first year of college that's not on my AMCAS?
1) If they capitalize Most Meaningful in the sentence, I'd take it to mean they want you to elaborate on a designated MM activity from the primary application. Otherwise, not.

2) Yes.

Replicated:
I volunteer in the physical therapy clinic of a psychiatric hospital, and I want to make sure I'm right to count those hours as clinical experience. I've heard that physical therapy isn't considered "real" clinical experience, but I figured the fact that it's in a psych hospital makes it more relevant and credible. I interact directly with patients of all ages (12-80) and mental capacities, assisting them with their exercise routines and administering therapeutic treatments including ultrasound, cold laser, and electrostimulation. I love doing it and I love the patients, but I would like some assurance that I can count it as clinical exposure on a med school application, because otherwise I'm going to have to find a new place to volunteer really soon.
Sounds like an excellent active clinical experience to me, of the sort adcomms are looking for, and it's great that you're enthusiastic about it. Be sure to keep your own record of your hours, even if you sign in when you come to volunteer. And keep Contact information for someone who can attest to your timeframe, with name, title, and either phone or email, as this is required on the AMCAS application.

Replicated:
There is this program at my school where students can be trained to listen/be counselors to other students who are having a hard time or depressed. I wanted to do this because it seems like a great skill to have (to be able to help and calm down those in a crisis), but it's also a huge time commitment so
1) I wanted to know if medical schools would see this as a worthwhile extracurricular?
2) For example, would it be considered similar to something like tutoring/volunteering?
1) Yes.

2) Mentoring is a form of teaching. If you don't get paid, it is volunteering.

Replicated:
Will have:
-250 hrs of research in analytical chemistry lab - no publication as of right now but I'm doing some wildly complex stuff with multimillion dollar instrumentation. Still, if I can't juice anything out of this I will likely do research in a gap year, which would add several hundred more hours and hopefully a pub.
-300 hrs of clinical volunteering in various hospital departments - ER, trauma burn ICU, and transplant surgery, plus ronald mcdonald house
-200 hrs of nonclincal volunteering - homeless shelter, summer camps with disabled kids, pre-med advising in student org. (ironic I know haha)
-150 hrs of shadowing 7 different doctors in clinical and surgery settings

Extra background:
-3+ solid leadership positions - position in a student org for 3 yrs, teaching assistant for 3 yrs, tour guide for 2 yrs
-4.0 gpa, 520 MCAT

Shooting for top med schools. Would these vol/research hours stand out as a little lacking (ignoring essays/recs/interviews)?
I'd consider the research involvement to be on the light side for top schools (keeping in mind that a full-time summer of research would yield 400-500 hours). Future hours (predicted for your gap year) of research listed on an AMCAS application don't carry much weight. The rest looks very good. Leadership roles that are particularly strong have the potential to override sparser research involvement at Top Schools. But, as a generalization, chances would be better with that extra year of completed research and evidence of research productivity, aka posters, presentations, and a pub in the bag.

@Catalystik, I am writing secondaries atm and had a quick question about one of my activities. I am naming a physician I met at School X in my essay, and how that physician inspired me to want to attend. Can I just state this physician's name without further clarification on who he/she is? I'm basically assuming the school knows this person, since he/she is a director and professor of one of their med school depts. I don't want to waste more character space if I can help it, but do you think this would be okay to do?

@Catalystik, I am writing secondaries atm and had a quick question about one of my activities. I am naming a physician I met at School X in my essay, and how that physician inspired me to want to attend. Can I just state this physician's name without further clarification on who he/she is? I'm basically assuming the school knows this person, since he/she is a director and professor of one of their med school depts. I don't want to waste more character space if I can help it, but do you think this would be okay to do?
I assume you want the school to make the connection of the doc's relationship to them? Is the name unusual enough that it will be assumed to be that person? Then you're fine. If not, you would do best to add an identifying title, department, or location to clue them in.

I assume you want the school to make the connection of the doc's relationship to them? Is the name unusual enough that it will be assumed to be that person? Then you're fine. If not, you would do best to add an identifying title, department, or location to clue them in.

Thanks! I think the name is unusual enough, but I'll still try to include an identifier if I can.

Replicated: International Poster
I was a research assistant at a neuroscience lab during my senior year. This culminated to about 400 hours of in-lab time. My work involved MatLab programming (for data exploration), running operant chambers/general experiment management, literature review and building small voltmeters. One of my LORs is from the PI.

Over the year, I wrote two progress reports to get credits. The results of study have not been published. The work, however, was presented on a poster in a neuroscience conference in another country. I was listed as a middle author on the poster itself. I was not present at the conference.

Does this count as a “poster presentation”?
Yes, as you were listed as an author, you can list this poster on a med school application with its citation under a Presentations/Posters tag. Be sure to mention that the Xth author was the presenter. Research is a team sport and you want to give credit where it is due.
Great. I originally thought I had to be the one who made the literal poster or did the literal presentation for this to count. I will be sure to explicitly clarify who the presenter was and that I was not present at the conference.

Is "Mental Health Counselor" a good Clinical Experience job?

It's that or scribing for me right now and I'm wondering how mental health clinical work experience would be seen?

Is "Mental Health Counselor" a good Clinical Experience job?

It's that or scribing for me right now and I'm wondering how mental health clinical work experience would be seen?
With what conditions would you get experience? What is your training? At what sort of facility would you work?

Do you already have experience with physically ill or injured patients?

Replicated: nonmedical community service expectations by service-oriented schools
just wanted your opinion on whether or not the hours I will have completed below are competitive enough for the service-oriented medical schools that are out there.

550hrs total clinical volunteering (I have more clinical experience, but they are paid)
350hrs total non-clinical volunteering with under-served communities
Over how long a period did you accumulate the 350 hours of nonclinical volunteering? What was your role?
By the time I apply, it will be approximately 1.5 years, and my role was serving food to the homeless. I started my clinical volunteering earier on in my college career, before the non-clinical volunteering began
Your accumulated volunteer hours are terrific, and if looked at in aggregate should reflect well on you with service-oriented med schools (though I'd have liked to see some type of nonmedical community service started before 6 months ago).

Should I send an update now or in a few months after a paper is accepted?

Iv gotten a few rejections already and I am worried I may get rejected by more schools before I can send my update.

The update would include:
1) Updated clinical volunteering hours (100 more hours. Before only had 150)
2) Starting clinical job next week
3) Paper- submitted final revisions in a solid journal. My mentor is confident it should be accepted by december.

Should I send an update now or in a few months after a paper is accepted?

Iv gotten a few rejections already and I am worried I may get rejected by more schools before I can send my update.

The update would include:
1) Updated clinical volunteering hours (100 more hours. Before only had 150)
2) Starting clinical job next week
3) Paper- submitted final revisions in a solid journal. My mentor is confident it should be accepted by december.
The only substantive item you have listed is the extra 100 clinical hours, and you already had enough when you submitted. Updating about a new job, where you haven't even gotten past the probation period, and a submitted paper that was already mentioned on your Primary application, before you can provide a citation and PMID#, will not add to your appeal. Please be patient. Wait.

Replicated: Child Life Volunteer as clinical experience:
I put an application in to be a childlife volunteer in my local hospital a week ago. While I know you interact with patients, I wasn't sure if its considered clinical as you need to have physician interaction and I have no idea how much interaction with physicians in this position.
Yes, this is the type of active clinical experience that med school adcomms are looking for. And it isn't just patient interaction, but it also takes place in a clinical environment where you'll be required to learn hospital policies and procedures. Physician shadowing is a completely different activity and is reported on the application under it's own tag.

The only substantive item you have listed is the extra 100 clinical hours, and you already had enough when you submitted. Updating about a new job, where you haven't even gotten past the probation period, and a submitted paper that was already mentioned on your Primary application, before you can provide a citation and PMID#, will not add to your appeal. Please be patient. Wait.
Okay thank you so much for answering all these questions. Ill wait a bit and see.

I didnt mention this paper in my primaries but Im guessing that wouldnt change things? Still better to wait? I hope i dont get rejected by too many more schools before then. xD

Okay thank you so much for answering all these questions. Ill wait a bit and see.

I didnt mention this paper in my primaries but Im guessing that wouldnt change things? Still better to wait? I hope i dont get rejected by too many more schools before then. xD
Sorry, I thought you planned to mention it, but no, it would make no difference. Better to wait.

@Catalystik Hi! I have a question that has been unanswered in other threads so maybe you can help? I'm filling out my secondary app and realized I only have one semester of an English course that has the ENG prefix. I do however have another literature class that has a different prefix because it's offered by a different department. Should I a) Use the lit class and explain the box below or b) enroll in a community college English course to meet the requirement?

Also have a follow up question.

In my primary, I accidently put my start date as 2005 instead of 2015. So it says i started in high school or years ago. Do school automatically filter earlier activities before college? It was a major activity for me and one of my letter writers is from it too.

@Catalystik Hi! I have a question that has been unanswered in other threads so maybe you can help? I'm filling out my secondary app and realized I only have one semester of an English course that has the ENG prefix. I do however have another literature class that has a different prefix because it's offered by a different department. Should I a) Use the lit class and explain the box below or b) enroll in a community college English course to meet the requirement?
You should c) call (or email) each school that requires a year of English and ask if you can substitute the LIT class for the second English class.

If you had a writing intensive class it might be more likely to pass muster. Do you have one of those in another department? Eg Business Writing, Science Writing, etc.

Depending on the response to your question to the admissions offices and whether a school that denies permission is important enough to keep on your list, you'd then have to go with b). If you decide to go with c), please let me know the response.

Also have a follow up question.

In my primary, I accidently put my start date as 2005 instead of 2015. So it says i started in high school or years ago. Do school automatically filter earlier activities before college? It was a major activity for me and one of my letter writers is from it too.
Early activities are not filtered out (too many sport and artistic endeavors started in childhood).

If the end date or the narrative don't make it clear there was a typo on the start date, adcomms can figure it out from the LOR, but if you plan to send in fall update letters, you can set the record straight there. I don't consider this a critical error.

Replicateed: correction of inaccurate hours:
Accidentally put down 480 hrs when I meant to put down 840 for my research under Work/Activities section.

Just got verified Sept 1, and realized I made a mistake with my research hours. I've been in this lab for 2 years, and 480 hours doesn't seem to line up with the duration of which I worked in the lab.

1) Should I say nothing about it though unless somebody brings it up in an interview or something?
2) I shouldn't make a disclaimer of it in any secondaries or anything right?
3) What are your thoughts on proceeding from here?
This typo won't make or break your application, unless perhaps you are primarily targeting top-twenty schools. But I understand that you'd want to set the record straight.
a) With appropriate Secondary prompts, you can make the correction.
b) For those rare schools that encourage frequent updates, you can shoot them a brief email.
c) For all others, include the correction in the fall update letter along with new grades, added hours for relevant activities, and any added endeavors that may impact your candidacy.
d) Where none of the above is possible, let it go unless asked at interviews.

Hello. I've been trying to be quiet until I've finished a little creative writing project I'm working on (almost there), but I have to make some decisions soon, so I would love to hear your thoughts about this, @Catalystik. Sorry for the length of this message. Feel free to skim. If anyone else has any thoughts (@HomeSkool , @OrthoTraumaMD , @DokterMom , @Goro , @gonnif , @Med Ed , @LizzyM , @Toutie , @gyngyn , anybody), I would love to hear them.

Let's say that I had basically gotten onto the board of a small club, but I feel completely out of my depth because board members are supposed to be well-connected members of the community who can both donate generous amounts of money and get other people and organizations to do so as well--but I've been mostly "in the library" the past several years, so I'm not in a position to do either of those things.

I don't want to be one of the 80% of board members who do 20% of the work, you know? What's a good committee to be on for a poor and not well-connected researcher-type who's not an extroverted fundraiser but is empathetic and usually pretty good at reading people, mediating conflicts, and making people feel accepted and understood? What do you think about the possibilities below?

Possibilities: I initially joined the board because I felt helpless watching the way a sexual harassment issue that had gotten swept under the rug eventually blew up, and I wanted to make sure that none of that ever happened again. But by the time I joined, the executive director had already hired a consultant to rewrite the HR policy and scheduled bystander intervention trainings (which an organizational psychologist/former HR person told me was the gold standard for trainings about this). So now I'm trying to figure out what to work on instead.

The chairman said last time that he wanted help selecting our permanent executive director. I've thought about volunteering to help with that so that I can influence the process to have our current temporary director become permanent, as I think she's doing an excellent job, and I've seen in meetings with staff and the day laborers (whom the organization represents) that she's a leader. She sees the truth clearly and says it respectfully yet directly. I don't care that she's young and inexperienced. She's doing the work, and she's doing it well.

However, I'm concerned that she might feel like I'm making a move against her if I offer to help find her replacement, you know? Could I just tell her privately that I'm only doing it because I want to make sure she gets offered the job permanently? Or is that unethical? I understand that it would be my duty to make a good faith effort to select the best candidate for the organization.

We also need a treasurer and a secretary. However, I'm not an accountant, I have no experience with organizational budgets, and I'm scared about the fiduciary responsibility involved in the treasurer position. I wouldn't mind inviting people to meetings and that sort of thing as secretary but I do not want to take minutes during meetings (it's distracting for me to take notes).

I emailed a proposal to the director about starting a little basic digital marketing to promote the worker's center, since currently our marketing efforts consist of flyering local businesses and repeat customers, yet the main purpose of the group is to connect day laborers with jobs. She told me to follow up with our volunteer coordinator, so that's what I need to do next about that. I'm nervous about asking for money from the budget to do this though.

I'm also still teaching ESL as part of this group and doing other volunteering like helping with cleaning at the annual fundraising event last week, so I'm sort of helping with operations, I guess.

Like I said, out of my depth. Thoughts?

P.S. By the way, @Catalystik , I've been wanting to tell you about an activity we talked about last winter that required an X dollar up front investment and an X hour training. Well, I went through with it. Then the director retired, so my start date was delayed while the department reshuffled until the end of June.

But, I finally started almost three months ago, and it's super fun. Last week, I finally got an agreement in place between a retired gentleman who started playing African drums and his upstairs neighbor, a woman who's been recovering from major surgeries and is relearning to walk and can't stand the noise. Doesn't sound like much, but they've been in conflict for about 6 months about this. I think I might have also gotten her to see him as a decent human being. Some of the most satisfying hours of my week. So, thanks for your help with thinking through that. Definitely worth it.

Edited to improve anonymity.

Last edited:
P.S. By the way, @Catalystik , I've been wanting to tell you about an activity we talked about last winter . . ..

But, I finally started almost three months ago, and it's super fun. Some of the most satisfying hours of my week. So, thanks for your help with thinking through that. Definitely worth it.
I appreciate the positive feedback. I recall the conversation from back in the day.

Last edited:
I have to make some decisions soon, so I would love to hear your thoughts about this, @Catalystik. If anyone else has any thoughts (@HomeSkool , @OrthoTraumaMD , @DokterMom , @Goro , @gonnif , @Med Ed , @LizzyM , @Toutie , @gyngyn , anybody), I would love to hear them.

Let's say that I had basically gotten onto the board of a small club, but I feel completely out of my depth because board members are supposed to be well-connected members of the community who can both donate generous amounts of money and get other people and organizations to do so as well--but I've been mostly "in the library" the past several years, so I'm not in a position to do either of those things.

I don't want to be one of the 80% of board members who do 20% of the work, you know? What's a good committee to be on for a poor and not well-connected researcher-type who's not an extroverted fundraiser but is empathetic and usually pretty good at reading people, mediating conflicts, and making people feel accepted and understood? What do you think about the possibilities below?

Possibilities: I initially joined the board because I felt helpless watching the way a sexual harassment issue that had gotten swept under the rug eventually blew up, and I wanted to make sure that none of that ever happened again. But by the time I joined, the executive director had already hired a consultant to rewrite the HR policy and scheduled bystander intervention trainings (which an organizational psychologist/former HR person told me was the gold standard for trainings about this). So now I'm trying to figure out what to work on instead.

The chairman said last time that he wanted help selecting our permanent executive director. I've thought about volunteering to help with that so that I can influence the process to have our current temporary director become permanent, as I think she's doing an excellent job, and I've seen in meetings with staff and the day laborers (whom the organization represents) that she's a leader. She sees the truth clearly and says it respectfully yet directly. I don't care that she's young and inexperienced. She's doing the work, and she's doing it well.

However, I'm concerned that she might feel like I'm making a move against her if I offer to help find her replacement, you know? Could I just tell her privately that I'm only doing it because I want to make sure she gets offered the job permanently? Or is that unethical? I understand that it would be my duty to make a good faith effort to select the best candidate for the organization.

We also need a treasurer and a secretary. However, I'm not an accountant, I have no experience with organizational budgets, and I'm scared about the fiduciary responsibility involved in the treasurer position. I wouldn't mind inviting people to meetings and that sort of thing as secretary but I do not want to take minutes during meetings (it's distracting for me to take notes).

I emailed a proposal to the director about starting a little basic digital marketing to promote the worker's center, since currently our marketing efforts consist of flyering local businesses and repeat customers, yet the main purpose of the group is to connect day laborers with jobs. She told me to follow up with our volunteer coordinator, so that's what I need to do next about that. I'm nervous about asking for money from the budget to do this though.

I'm also still teaching ESL as part of this group and doing other volunteering like helping with cleaning at the annual fundraising event last week, so I'm sort of helping with operations, I guess.

Like I said, out of my depth. Thoughts?
Don't feel out of place on the Board of this organization because you're unable to be a big $$ contributor. It's important for a Board of this nature to have representatives from the general community, too. You have other things to offer, like time and talent.

Offering to assist with finding a permanent executive director is fine, but DO NOT share your thoughts with the temporary director (or anyone) about your bias in selecting her. This would be inappropriate.

As a younger community member there is a reasonable chance that you are more familiar with various forms of social media than others on the Board. Volunteering to create a presence for the organization through those outlets (which allow for digital marketing), especially as you enjoy writing, seems like a potential good fit.

I appreciate the positive feedback. I recall the conversation [...].

Haha, oh good.

Don't feel out of place on the Board of this organization because you're unable to be a big $$ contributor. It's important for a Board of this nature to have representatives from the general community, too. You have other things to offer, like time and talent.

Offering to assist with finding a permanent executive director is fine, but DO NOT share your thoughts with the temporary director (or anyone) about your bias in selecting her. This would be inappropriate.

As a younger community member there is a reasonable chance that you are more familiar with various forms of social media than others on the Board. Volunteering to create a presence for the organization through those outlets (which allow for digital marketing), especially as you enjoy writing, seems like a potential good fit.

Ok, thank you. I'll look into our unpaid social media channels this coming week.

If the chairman is serious about looking for the director's replacement, I'll volunteer to help with that and keep my bias to myself from now on. That might create a weird dynamic between the director and me, but oh well. I'll try to manage it. Sometimes to get something done, you have to be willing to just play a role, conceal your personal feelings, and let people worry a little, I guess.

Thank you, @Catalystik!

Last edited:
Hello again, @Catalystik,

[...]To protect my anonymity, would you be willing to delete a couple things?

[....]

This message will self-destruct soon. ;)

Edited for anonymity.

Last edited:
Thank you, @Catalystik!

Ah, you're referring, I assume, to my habit of using avatars with two animals of different ages? I was kind of hoping that wouldn't be an issue since people can't search for that directly. But I guess you're right, that is a bit of a security flaw, isn't it? Oh well. I guess that was due for a change anyway. Thank you!

Last edited:
I recently was given the opportunity to volunteer coach a little league basketball team this upcoming October. It is in a rural area and from what I know is that these children come from a economic disadvantage background.

I’ve always been interested in coaching but was never given the opportunity so I will most likely take this position.

My question is, will I be able to use this as another slot in my activities section for non clinical volunteering? I don’t know how adcom’s view coaching but I figured I’d ask. Thank you.

I recently was given the opportunity to volunteer coach a little league basketball team this upcoming October. It is in a rural area and from what I know is that these children come from a economic disadvantage background.

I’ve always been interested in coaching but was never given the opportunity so I will most likely take this position.

My question is, will I be able to use this as another slot in my activities section for non clinical volunteering? I don’t know how adcom’s view coaching but I figured I’d ask.
Yes, Little League coaching would be a good volunteer activity to list on your application. Coaching is viewed as a form of teaching, which is part of a doc's job description, and so a good skill to have demonstrated.

Hey, everyone! I submitted my AMCAS in June, and was complete with all the secondaries in July. Still, I would like to ask whether the following experience of mine can be used as an "update" of my secondaries. Basically, I am the research coordinator of a conference. We have selected 40 abstracts to present this year and all these abstracts will be published. And because I have edited the abstracts, I will be listed as the author of the abstract booklet. Is it worthwhile to submit that to the medical schools?

I would like to ask whether the following experience of mine can be used as an "update" of my secondaries. Basically, I am the research coordinator of a conference. We have selected 40 abstracts to present this year and all these abstracts will be published. And because I have edited the abstracts, I will be listed as the author of the abstract booklet. Is it worthwhile to submit that to the medical schools?
It's different and interesting. Even if it's a campus event, I think it's a reasonable inclusion. Make it succinct.

Status
Not open for further replies.