*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2018-2019*~*~*~*

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. i don't have enough space to write all of "[organization name]] General Associate (2015-2016) and Coordinator (2016-2017)". Can I write "Coordinator and former associate of research program" as the experience name and write the full name of the program in the organization name box?

2. if i grouped my (1) school's full tuition scholarship, (2) school recognition, and an (3) outside scholarship all under one experience, how would i format it?
is this okay?

experience name: scholarships and awards
organization name: school's full tuition scholarship
country, city, state, contact: info about school's full tuition scholarship

experience description:
full tuition scholarship for four years of study

Also:

school recognition - May 2016
contact:
Awarded to student who exemplified...

outside scholarship - Aug 2015
contact:
Awarded to student...
1) Yes. Or, Coordinator and Former Associate of Smith Lab . Or, Smith Lab Coordinator (2016-17) and Former Associate (2015-16). I think you get around 65 characters for a title, so the latter might fit, depending on the length of your PI's name.

2) Mention the criteria for the 4-year scholarship. If it was based solely on HS performance or is need-based, it doesn't belong here. There's another place on the application to state the percent of your college expenses covered by scholarships. If, OTOH, you were required to meet certain college standards to keep the scholarship, you should state the terms.

-Organization name should be your college, if they gave the first-listed award.
-I'd change the space's name to Scholarships and Recognitions.
-Your Contact can be the college registrar for all of them, as they'd have a record of all you mention, and that would save having to repeat a Contact for every listing.
 
I worked as a scribe for about ~100 hours on field training (writing notes under supervision by a trainer for the physician), but I was dismissed due to inefficiency after ~1.5 months. I did learn a lot despite the short length of my job as a scribe, and I would love to include the hours on my application. My other clinical experiences are currently hospital volunteering and shadowing (total of ~200 hours). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Go ahead and list it. You are not obliged to volunteer the reason for dismissal (though in your case I don't think it reflects badly; we aren't all speedy typers). You can use the payroll office as a Contact to verify your hours and dates of involvement, instead of your trainer or the physician.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Go ahead and list it. You are not obliged to volunteer the reason for dismissal (though in your case I don't think it reflects badly; we aren't all speedy typers). You can use the payroll office as a Contact to verify your hours and dates of involvement, instead of your trainer or the physician.

Thank you so much for your help! We are so grateful to have an expert like you on this forum. Truly appreciate it!
 
I'm a member of a sports team (three year starter), but also had leadership roles (VP and President). 1) Should I separate this into two entries, one as member of the team and other as President? There would certainly be enough to talk about. 2) I want to make it one of my most meaningful experiences. Would it make sense to put the leadership role most meaningful and the other as just another activity? 3) I'm in the same boat with tutoring. I started as a normal tutor but then became a head tutor, which has additional leadership roles. Should I separate those as well? I have the space, I just don't want to come across as trying to pad this section.

Thanks 🙂
 
I'm a member of a sports team (three year starter), but also had leadership roles (VP and President).
1) Should I separate this into two entries, one as member of the team and other as President? There would certainly be enough to talk about.
2) I want to make it one of my most meaningful experiences. Would it make sense to put the leadership role most meaningful and the other as just another activity?
3) I'm in the same boat with tutoring. I started as a normal tutor but then became a head tutor, which has additional leadership roles. Should I separate those as well? I have the space, I just don't want to come across as trying to pad this section.
If you divide out the sport team leadership roles (VP+Prez) how many hours would you have for the leadership, without double counting any of them? If sufficiently substantial, then yes, using to spaces is fine, since you aren't "space-impaired."

2) Pick whichever one you most need the extra narrative space for.

3) Same answer as #1. You can keep it together or split them out if you have enough hours and talking points that need extra description space.
 
If you divide out the sport team leadership roles (VP+Prez) how many hours would you have for the leadership, without double counting any of them? If sufficiently substantial, then yes, using to spaces is fine, since you aren't "space-impaired."

2) Pick whichever one you most need the extra narrative space for.

3) Same answer as #1. You can keep it together or split them out if you have enough hours and talking points that need extra description space.
Thank you for the quick response! You're amazing. For the sports I would probably have ~800 as member and ~100-200 as leadership (takes a ton of work and planning to run a team). Do you think that's significant to split it? For the tutoring it would be a 250 hour/100 hour split.
 
Hi I have a question about an abstract publication and I was hoping someone could help me out with this.

Here is the link to it: https://www.soard.org/article/S1550-7289(16)30428-2/fulltext

It was published in the jounral American Society of Metabolic Surgery (ASMBS). It isn't a major groundbreaking paper or anything. Just a demographics study about the patients that come to our program and we compared how likely patients were to go through with surgery when they were self referred vs. referred by a doctor and some other variables. We found that self referred patients were more likely to go through with it probably since they are more motivated to have surgery. The work that I did was mainly the grunt work like calling patients, collecting surveys and entering all of that in excel. They used information they collected from 10 years of patients they have seen, but I collected it for 2 years in their clinic. Basically we just had a bunch of data lying around that we collect normally for surgery and the fellow was like well might as well do something with it! I am listed as a 1st author, but I don't know how to list it on AMCAS and if I should actually claim 1st author because 6 people are listed as 1st author and 1 person is listed as the 2nd author.
 
I also have a question about listing a specific volunteer experience that I had. I volunteered at my local hospital my freshman year of high school. I didn't continue volunteering sophomore year because I had a job. I started volunteering again junior year of college (mainly to get some volunteer hours). I tried to volunteer beginning my freshman year, but the hospital wasn't taking new volunteers at that time. I have been volutneering in the emergency department for the past year and I am now a mentor to train new volunteers joining my department. In my description, should I list that I did it in highschool, then started again in college and now I am a mentor or only college because it wasn't continuous. What about hours just college or both? The issue is that the volunteer services gave me my high school + college hours combined so I am not sure how many I did in college
 
Hi I have a question about an abstract publication and I was hoping someone could help me out with this.

Here is the link to it: https://www.soard.org/article/S1550-7289(16)30428-2/fulltext

It was published in the jounral American Society of Metabolic Surgery (ASMBS). It isn't a major groundbreaking paper or anything. Just a demographics study about the patients that come to our program and we compared how likely patients were to go through with surgery when they were self referred vs. referred by a doctor and some other variables. We found that self referred patients were more likely to go through with it probably since they are more motivated to have surgery. The work that I did was mainly the grunt work like calling patients, collecting surveys and entering all of that in excel. They used information they collected from 10 years of patients they have seen, but I collected it for 2 years in their clinic. Basically we just had a bunch of data lying around that we collect normally for surgery and the fellow was like well might as well do something with it! I am listed as a 1st author, but I don't know how to list it on AMCAS and if I should actually claim 1st author because 6 people are listed as 1st author and 1 person is listed as the 2nd author.
If you are feeling uncomfortable with the responsibility that generally is assumed about first authorship, you might refer to yourself as co-author, instead.

Authorship criteria are tightening up: The ICMJE recommends that authorship be based on the following 4 criteria:

  • Substantial contributions to the conception or design of the work; or the acquisition, analysis, or interpretation of data for the work; AND
  • Drafting the work or revising it critically for important intellectual content; AND
  • Final approval of the version to be published; AND
  • Agreement to be accountable for all aspects of the work in ensuring that questions related to the accuracy or integrity of any part of the work are appropriately investigated and resolved.
In addition to being accountable for the parts of the work he or she has done, an author should be able to identify which co-authors are responsible for specific other parts of the work. In addition, authors should have confidence in the integrity of the contributions of their co-authors.

All those designated as authors should meet all four criteria for authorship, and all who meet the four criteria should be identified as authors. Those who do not meet all four criteria should be acknowledged—
ICMJE | Recommendations | Defining the Role of Authors and Contributors
 
I also have a question about listing a specific volunteer experience that I had. I volunteered at my local hospital my freshman year of high school. I didn't continue volunteering sophomore year because I had a job. I started volunteering again junior year of college (mainly to get some volunteer hours). I tried to volunteer beginning my freshman year, but the hospital wasn't taking new volunteers at that time. I have been volutneering in the emergency department for the past year and I am now a mentor to train new volunteers joining my department. In my description, should I list that I did it in highschool, then started again in college and now I am a mentor or only college because it wasn't continuous. What about hours just college or both? The issue is that the volunteer services gave me my high school + college hours combined so I am not sure how many I did in college
I suggest you go ahead and list the HS hours, but use the Repreated feature to divide the HS and college involvement. Use your best guess-timate as to an honest distribution of the hours for each timeframe. Both will appear in the header of the space and will accord with what your official Contact would confirm.

Include the date when you became a mentor in your narrative or consider adding that designation to the title you give the space (ideally with dates, so it's clear it wasn't for the entire year).
 
under the physician shadowing category, I grouped together (1) shadowing program at a hospital where I shadowed physicians, nurse practitioners, EMT, and different medical providers (2) a doctor who has his own office

1. what should i put as the experience name? "Clinical observation of medical professionals"?

2. if i shadowed the doctor at his office AND helped out at the clinic for some time can I say a little bit about what I did in the description?
 
under the physician shadowing category, I grouped together (1) shadowing program at a hospital where I shadowed physicians, nurse practitioners, EMT, and different medical providers (2) a doctor who has his own office

1. what should i put as the experience name? "Clinical observation of medical professionals"?

2. if i shadowed the doctor at his office AND helped out at the clinic for some time can I say a little bit about what I did in the description?
1) Clinical Observation of Medical Care Providers?

2) Absolutely. How many hours did you "help" vs solely observe?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One of the doctors that I shadowed in the past recently moved to a new hospital/position.
1) How should I fill out his contact info? I have his updated info (i.e. his new email and position) - should I use that, or use his old info from the previous hospital (where he was when I shadowed him)?
2) Should I indicate within the activity description that he has moved hospitals since I shadowed him?
3) He also wrote me a recommendation letter while he was at his old hospital, so I assume he used his old credentials. Do I need to provide clarification for that somewhere in my application?
4) This doctor has a few positions - he is an attending physician within a speciality, director of a specialized center within the hospital, professor in a university affiliated with the hospital, etc. What is the best "contact title" to use?
 
One of the doctors that I shadowed in the past recently moved to a new hospital/position.
1) How should I fill out his contact info? I have his updated info (i.e. his new email and position) - should I use that, or use his old info from the previous hospital (where he was when I shadowed him)?
2) Should I indicate within the activity description that he has moved hospitals since I shadowed him?
3) He also wrote me a recommendation letter while he was at his old hospital, so I assume he used his old credentials. Do I need to provide clarification for that somewhere in my application?
4) This doctor has a few positions - he is an attending physician within a speciality, director of a specialized center within the hospital, professor in a university affiliated with the hospital, etc. What is the best "contact title" to use?
1) Use the new contact information.

2) Yes, mainly due to #3.

3) See #2.

4) You would use the credentials relevant to the fact that you shadowed him, so in the Title space, I'd put "MD, Gastroenterologist". It will print out as First Name, Last Name, MD, Gastroenterologist. If you had taken a class or research with him, his academic title of Professor would be important, but not for your purposes.
 
Publication Title (How to tame a fat cat)
Authors listed (Fat cat mom, Fat cat dad)
Citation line (Fat Cat Journal, 2018, 1, 1, 1-2)
PMID listed (FATCAT1)

Is there a proper format to describe publications or what I have listed above is fine? Additionally, do I have to describe my role or publications is simply publications?
 
How should I fill out shadowing? I shadowed around 10 physicians and I managed to fit them all in one section. Right now I just have everything listed in the format below. Unfortunately I do not have space to list contacts. I only have one contact listed that is required by AMCAS. Good thing is my primary school I am applying to is the same as the hospital I did most of my shadowing in so if adcoms really care they just have to type [email protected] to contact anyone in that hospital that I shadowed. Should I keep it in this format and not list every contact or should I split it and add contacts for everyone?

Hospital A, City, State
Cardiology: First Last, MD, and First Last, MD (50 hours clinic)
Surgery: First Last, MD and First Last, MD (40 hours OR)

Hospital B, City, State
etc...
 
Publication Title (How to tame a fat cat)
Authors listed (Fat cat mom, Fat cat dad)
Citation line (Fat Cat Journal, 2018, 1, 1, 1-2)
PMID listed (FATCAT1)

1) Is there a proper format to describe publications or what I have listed above is fine?
2) Additionally, do I have to describe my role or publications is simply publications?
Any of multiple different formats is fine, so long as adcomms can find the article. Yours is fine, too.

2) Theoretically, you have an affiliated research space that discusses your contributions. So the citation alone is fine.
 
How should I fill out shadowing? I shadowed around 10 physicians and I managed to fit them all in one section. Right now I just have everything listed in the format below. Unfortunately I do not have space to list contacts. I only have one contact listed that is required by AMCAS. Good thing is my primary school I am applying to is the same as the hospital I did most of my shadowing in so if adcoms really care they just have to type [email protected] to contact anyone in that hospital that I shadowed. Should I keep it in this format and not list every contact or should I split it and add contacts for everyone?

Hospital A, City, State
Cardiology: First Last, MD, and First Last, MD (50 hours clinic)
Surgery: First Last, MD and First Last, MD (40 hours OR)

Hospital B, City, State
etc...
You don't need contacts for everyone. If hospital A is where most of your shadowees are on staff, for the Contact space in the header you might enter
First name: Hospital,
Last name: Staff,
Title: [St Elsewhere Medical Center].
-It will print out on the application as Hospital Staff, St Elsewhere Medical Center. You can enter the main hospital number as the contact phone number.

For Hospital B, if they want to contact those docs, they have the hospital name and can go from there.
 
1) Use the new contact information.

2) Yes, mainly due to #3.

3) See #2.

4) You would use the credentials relevant to the fact that you shadowed him, so in the Title space, I'd put "MD, Gastroenterologist". It will print out as First Name, Last Name, MD, Gastroenterologist. If you had taken a class or research with him, his academic title of Professor would be important, but not for your purposes.

Thanks so much!

Follow-up question: Should I be using the "Degree, Speciality/Position" in all contact title spaces? For example, for my research PI, would I label him "PhD, Professor"? What if my PI is Director of an institute at my university - would it be preferable to label him as a "PhD, Director of Institute"?
 
Follow-up question: Should I be using the "Degree, Speciality/Position" in all contact title spaces? For example, for my research PI, would I label him "PhD, Professor"? What if my PI is Director of an institute at my university - would it be preferable to label him as a "PhD, Director of Institute"?
In the context of your relationship with him as I understand it, I'd title him PhD, Principal Investigator or PhD, Lab Director, but then I don't understand his title of Director of Institute like you do. If he's in charge of a lot of labs and you are in one of them, perhaps that title is more relevant than I intuit.

For other Contacts, the academic degree may not be relevant at all, like a staffer who coordinates hospital volunteers, or the HS teacher who led the boy scouts.
 
Would EMR or EHR be an acceptable abbreviation to include in the work/activities description field without ever providing the full term? For some context, I am currently working for an EMR company and am tight on characters. I would prefer not to have to type out electronic medical record if it will be known readily by adcomms. Thanks in advance for the assistance!!
 
Would EMR or EHR be an acceptable abbreviation to include in the work/activities description field without ever providing the full term? For some context, I am currently working for an EMR company and am tight on characters. I would prefer not to have to type out electronic medical record if it will be known readily by adcomms. Thanks in advance for the assistance!!
I'd sure hope that abbreviation would be common enough in a medical admissions office that you don't have to define it. But initial screeners may be regular office staffers, so while I'll say go ahead and use it, hopefully your description will provide enough context for anyone to figure it out.
 
I'm blanking out here but what would I put for title description under Publication? More than one publication?

Experience Title: Publication
Title: First author (2015), second author (2017)
 
Hi! Sorry for all the questions, but a quick follow-up and an additional question:

1) For the title of the contact person, is it in our best interest to emphasize the prestige of our contact? E.g. If a physician whom I shadowed is chief of a division at a well-known hospital, should I use that title (e.g. "Chief of Division of Gastroenterology")? Or should he simply remain "MD, Gastroenterologist"?

2) How important is it to fill out future classes that I plan to take? Do med schools care that I list out prereqs that I plan to take?
 
Hey Catalystik, I'm quoting this from a post I made quite some time ago that you helped me with and had a question in regards to naming the experience.

"If I did volunteer work at UCLA such as a Care Extender but adcomms wouldn't know what that is, should I simply list it as "Hospital Volunteer" or is that too broad? I would rotate between different departments every 3-4 months and I would help patients with nonclinical needs, clerical needs for the nursing staff, and would also transport patients vs wheelchairs, gurneys (with the help of staff). I'm thinking Hospital volunteer would suffice and then I can just go on to describe what I did in the narrative space. What are your thoughts on that?"

1. You said that it's fine to put Hospital Volunteer, but with if I list it as "Hospital Volunteer-Care Extender"?

2. Also, the same question for 2 other experiences in which I was a "Care Ambassador", and a "Care Partner". Do you think I should also list these as "Hospital Volunteer-Care Ambassador", or just Care Ambassador? And should I list the other one similarly as "Hospital Volunteer-Care Partner", or "Care Partner"? You mentioned before that adcoms don't know what that it is and you said "(assuming a Care Partner assists the nursing staff in hands-on patient care) Patient Comfort Care Volunteer in Post-Operative Unit". You think that would be a better name?
 
what would I put for title description under Publication? More than one publication?

Experience Title: Publication
Title: First author (2015), second author (2017)
Examples for one pub might be: Accepted Second-Author Manuscript on [XXX Topic]or Co-Authored Paper on Biochemistry of DNA in Peer-Reviewed Journal. Or Scholarly Journal Article on [XXX Topic] or Peer-Reviewed Paper Available On-Line Ahead of Print, or somesuch. You can adapt them for two pubs, which would be easier if they are in the same discipline.
 
1) For the title of the contact person, is it in our best interest to emphasize the prestige of our contact? E.g. If a physician whom I shadowed is chief of a division at a well-known hospital, should I use that title (e.g. "Chief of Division of Gastroenterology")? Or should he simply remain "MD, Gastroenterologist"?

2) How important is it to fill out future classes that I plan to take? Do med schools care that I list out prereqs that I plan to take?
1) Use the credentials that are pertinent to the activity, namely MD, Gastroenterologist. If you list the prestigious appointment, one might think you watched someone do paperwork or attend meetings all day.

2) You are not obliged to fill out future coursework, nor are you held to taking them as if it's a promise. But some schools like to know that the coursework is in the plan, since they won't matriculate you without them.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Catalystik, I'm quoting this from a post I made quite some time ago that you helped me with and had a question in regards to naming the experience.

"If I did volunteer work at UCLA such as a Care Extender but adcomms wouldn't know what that is, should I simply list it as "Hospital Volunteer" or is that too broad? I would rotate between different departments every 3-4 months and I would help patients with nonclinical needs, clerical needs for the nursing staff, and would also transport patients vs wheelchairs, gurneys (with the help of staff). I'm thinking Hospital volunteer would suffice and then I can just go on to describe what I did in the narrative space. What are your thoughts on that?"

1. You said that it's fine to put Hospital Volunteer, but with if I list it as "Hospital Volunteer-Care Extender"?

2. Also, the same question for 2 other experiences in which I was a "Care Ambassador", and a "Care Partner". Do you think I should also list these as "Hospital Volunteer-Care Ambassador", or just Care Ambassador? And should I list the other one similarly as "Hospital Volunteer-Care Partner", or "Care Partner"? You mentioned before that adcoms don't know what that it is and you said "(assuming a Care Partner assists the nursing staff in hands-on patient care) Patient Comfort Care Volunteer in Post-Operative Unit". You think that would be a better name?
1) I'm OK with that. And presumably you'll be explaining the expanded role of a care extender compared to a typical hospital volunteer.

2) "Care Ambassador" and "Care Partner" don't give much clue to what you did. I think a more expanded, better descriptive name for the space is a better idea. You can give your official title in the narrative if you like (as perhaps other CA programs know what they are).
 
1) I'm OK with that. And presumably you'll be explaining the expanded role of a care extender compared to a typical hospital volunteer.

2) "Care Ambassador" and "Care Partner" don't give much clue to what you did. I think a more expanded, better descriptive name for the space is a better idea. You can give your official title in the narrative if you like (as perhaps other CA programs know what they are).

How about "Hospital Greeter and Transporter" for the title, instead of Care Ambassador, and then as you said I can give the official name in the narrative?
 
Same question in regards to a experience I have titled "Novel Companion", where I interviewed patients about their life and then typed up a summary of it for them, decorated it a bit and give it to them to keep.

You said perhaps I can use the name "Patient Interviewer & Life-Story Transcriber" to make it more descriptive since adcoms won't know what it entailed based off of the name. Do you think naming it "Life-Story Transcriber" would suffice, or should I just leave it as is the way you previously recommended?
 
Same question in regards to a experience I have titled "Novel Companion", where I interviewed patients about their life and then typed up a summary of it for them, decorated it a bit and give it to them to keep.

You said perhaps I can use the name "Patient Interviewer & Life-Story Transcriber" to make it more descriptive since adcoms won't know what it entailed based off of the name. Do you think naming it "Life-Story Transcriber" would suffice, or should I just leave it as is the way you previously recommended?
The shorter version would suffice except it might imply transcribing from a recording, and thus no face-to-face patient interaction. Do you care? I would.
 
When citing publications/posters, I'm not sure if I should list it with my job or if it should have its own section. I have one paper, presented one poster, and am on several other posters. I think it would be easy to include the paper and presented poster, but even if I use another section I think it would be difficult to include the titles of all posters I'm on. Thank you for any advice!
 
When citing publications/posters, I'm not sure if I should list it with my job or if it should have its own section. I have one paper, presented one poster, and am on several other posters. I think it would be easy to include the paper and presented poster, but even if I use another section I think it would be difficult to include the titles of all posters I'm on.
Are any of the posters related to each other or the publication? Were any posters presented on your campus? How many total posters? Is the pub in a paper journal?
 
There are probably four "core" posters, but eight total, none of which are related to the publication. I presented one poster at a conference, the rest were presented by coworkers at various conferences. None were related to school.
 
I recently got feedback on one of my descriptions and wanted to get a quick second opinion from you while telling you where they suggested perhaps taking out.


Experience Name-Physical Therapist Observation, Total Hours-32, Classification-Physician Shadowing/Clinical Observation

I observed physical therapists working with post-surgical liver patients who needed help regaining their strength and mobility. I talked with and comforted patients during their rehabilitation to help motivate them and take their minds off of their conditions. I shadowed physical therapists in neurology, intensive care unit, and pediatrics, as they aided patients with activities of daily living. I was inspired by these patients because I was able to see the positive progression of their conditions on a weekly basis, as well as the resilience of the human spirit. Furthermore, the experience truly humbled me and made me thankful for my health.

*The feedback I got on the emboldened part was that perhaps adcoms may not want to hear about me talking with patients during shadowing/when the patients were working with physical therapists, and to maybe mention it somewhere else*. What are your thoughts on that?
 
There are probably four "core" posters, but eight total, none of which are related to the publication. I presented one poster at a conference, the rest were presented by coworkers at various conferences. None were related to school.
Have you experimented with truncating the poster titles and author lists, maybe organizing them by author-place?

It's fine to list a poster you didn't present, but you'd want to make that clear.
 
I recently got feedback on one of my descriptions and wanted to get a quick second opinion from you while telling you where they suggested perhaps taking out.


Experience Name-Physical Therapist Observation, Total Hours-32, Classification-Physician Shadowing/Clinical Observation

I observed physical therapists working with post-surgical liver patients who needed help regaining their strength and mobility. I talked with and comforted patients during their rehabilitation to help motivate them and take their minds off of their conditions. I shadowed physical therapists in neurology, intensive care unit, and pediatrics, as they aided patients with activities of daily living. I was inspired by these patients because I was able to see the positive progression of their conditions on a weekly basis, as well as the resilience of the human spirit. Furthermore, the experience truly humbled me and made me thankful for my health.

*The feedback I got on the emboldened part was that perhaps adcoms may not want to hear about me talking with patients during shadowing/when the patients were working with physical therapists, and to maybe mention it somewhere else*. What are your thoughts on that?
I'd take out what you bolded and also the part at the end that I bolded.

*If you're comforting patients, it's not shadowing.
 
I'd take out what you bolded and also the part at the end that I bolded.

*If you're comforting patients, it's not shadowing.
I talked to them on a few occasions, but it wasn't a thing I would do each time. If I take out the emboldened parts, you don't think it's a very bare bones description? What about the emboldened parts at the end doesn't make it sound appropriate in your opinion? Thank you
 
I talked to them on a few occasions, but it wasn't a thing I would do each time. If I take out the emboldened parts, you don't think it's a very bare bones description? What about the emboldened parts at the end doesn't make it sound appropriate in your opinion?
Shadowing descriptions are usually bare bones. Don't feel obliged to fill the space just because it's there. You kinda fluffed it up. Just my opinion. Feel free to ignore.
 
Shadowing descriptions are usually bare bones. Don't feel obliged to fill the space just because it's there. You kinda fluffed it up. Just my opinion. Feel free to ignore.

Yeah I see what you're saying. What about adding the following line in at the end to show that about 10-15% of what I did involved direct patient interaction, or does it seem unnecessary and insignificant to mention?:

On occasion I would help by pushing the patients wheelchair behind them while they were walking so they could sit down whenever they were feeling tired.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For research activities, what should I put for the organization name? Would it be "Smith Lab" or "State University"?
 
1. If i was the coordinator and associate of a research program at X hospital, do i put
Experience name: Coordinator and Associate of X Research Program
?Organization name: X Research Program
OR
?Organization name: X Hospital

2. Under the extracurricular activities category, i grouped together (1) student ambassador program and (2) earth club
What should the experience name be? “Extracurricular Activities” ?
 
I recently got feedback on one of my descriptions and wanted to get a quick second opinion from you
I did that.
What about adding the following line . . .
I refer you back to your reviewers. They seem to have good opinions. An example if a typical shadowing entry can be seen in Post 2, item 10 if this thread.
 
Last edited:
1. If i was the coordinator and associate of a research program at X hospital, do i put
Experience name: Coordinator and Associate of X Research Program
?Organization name: X Research Program
OR
?Organization name: X Hospital

2. Under the extracurricular activities category, i grouped together (1) student ambassador program and (2) earth club
What should the experience name be? “Extracurricular Activities” ?
1) To avoid repetition, I'd suggest going with the name of the hospital for Organization.

2) ? Other/Miscellaneous University Involvement/Interests
(Giving you some wording choices)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.