*~*~*~* Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2020-2021 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: the lack of LOR, in the activity description I say "I assisted in the late Dr. X’s lab to...." Is this adequate? Or should I make it more clear?
It's more elegant than is usually expressed. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

1) Where do MD/DO designations belong for contacts and shadowing experiences? Is "Dr. , DO" the correct format in "Contact Title"?

2) If I had a paid TA position do I input it under the experience type "Teaching/Tutoring/Teaching Assistant" or do I input it as "Paid Employment - Not Medical/Clinical"?
1) You won't use both Dr and DO. I suggest picking DO, as nurses, optometrists, vets, podiatrists, PhDs, theologians, etc can all called Dr, too.

2) It's your choice, since both labels apply. If you have something else under Teaching, then pick Employment.

Reactions: 1 user
Me again. For contact title, do I list their current title/occupation, or their title at the time I did that activity?

Members don't see this ad :)
For contact title, do I list their current title/occupation, or their title at the time I did that activity?
Opinion may vary on this. I think you would want to use the title relevant to the activity for which you listed them. If you shadowed them or were their office MA, you'd use "MD, Pulmonologist." If you did research with them, then "MD, PhD, Director of Pulmonology." If you were their TA at the med school, then "MD, Professor of Pulmonology." If you will be using an LOR from this person, their letter would explain the context in which they know you, which would match the info you provided for a Contact (even though they might sign the LOR with different credentials, like a grad student TA who now has a PhD). JMO.

I have a clinical experience where I spent around ~20 hours training before actually going in the hospital and getting patient contact. Would these 20 hours count towards the total hours in the works/activities section?

Same question for a health screening fair. I worked before the actual fair to create flyers, post on social media, and advertise the event. Would the hours spent go towards the total hours?

Also, I commuted to research (commute would be like 2 hours back and forth). Can I count those hours?

1) I have a clinical experience where I spent around ~20 hours training before actually going in the hospital and getting patient contact. Would these 20 hours count towards the total hours in the works/activities section?

2) Same question for a health screening fair. I worked before the actual fair to create flyers, post on social media, and advertise the event. Would the hours spent go towards the total hours?

3) Also, I commuted to research (commute would be like 2 hours back and forth). Can I count those hours?
1) If it's Employment, you can count it if you got paid for it (so validated hours will match what the Contact says). If Volunteer, then you don't. Getting trained is not a community service.

2) If this is Community Service/Volunteer-Not Medical/Clinical, you can count the prep hours. If you're calling it Clinical, then you don't, as patient interaction was not involved during the prep time.

3) No.

Opinion may vary on this. I think you would want to use the title relevant to the activity for which you listed them. If you shadowed them or were their office MA, you'd use "MD, Pulmonologist." If you did research with them, then "MD, PhD, Director of Pulmonology." If you were their TA at the med school, then "MD, Professor of Pulmonology." If you will be using an LOR from this person, their letter would explain the context in which they know you, which would match the info you provided for a Contact (even though they might sign the LOR with different credentials, like a grad student TA who now has a PhD). JMO.
Okay, thank you!
Degrees go in Title, not in Name? I've been doing "Firstname Lastname, MD" "Professor of Pulmonology" for Name and Title respectively.

Degrees go in Title, not in Name? I've been doing "Firstname Lastname, MD" "Professor of Pulmonology" for Name and Title respectively.
Either way works, if you want to include two components in the title. If you want to say Dr in front of the name, you have to include it before the first name in the same blank.

If listing several different activities (e.g. short term volunteering) under one amcas activities section, should I put the organization state/city etc. information as "varies", or as what it would be for the main contact I'm listing?

I have an tutoring activity that has no email or phone number. We contacted through an messaging app. How do I list the phone number or email?

I apologize if this question has been asked but is it a requirement that projected hours be incorporated into the work and activities section. My hospital volunteer positions are canceled for the foreseeable future and it is difficult to estimate how many hours I would complete (or if I will continue some of them at all due to life events) due to the unpredictability of the pandemic. Would an explanation of "continuing the activity once restrictions have been lifted" be enough?

If listing several different activities (e.g. short term volunteering) under one amcas activities section, should I put the organization state/city etc. information as "varies", or as what it would be for the main contact I'm listing?
List the contact for the first activity in the space in the header and put the others (name and email) with each description in the narrative.

I have an tutoring activity that has no email or phone number. We contacted through an messaging app. How do I list the phone number or email?
Ask for an email. Or list a tutee or yourself. Can you download all the messages so you have some documentation to provide if asked? Or did you have some other plan for validation?

Members don't see this ad :)
I apologize if this question has been asked but is it a requirement that projected hours be incorporated into the work and activities section. My hospital volunteer positions are canceled for the foreseeable future and it is difficult to estimate how many hours I would complete (or if I will continue some of them at all due to life events) due to the unpredictability of the pandemic. Would an explanation of "continuing the activity once restrictions have been lifted" be enough?
You should not list unknown future dates and projected hours. Instead enter what dates and hours you've completed. At the end of the narrative state, "Plan to return when COVID restrictions are lifted for x hrs/wk through [probable end date]." Or somesuch.

Hi, was wondering whether to classify an activity as "Other" or as clinical volunteering. My senior year I had to complete a 6-credit practicum (240 hours) which I completed working with patients in cardiac rehab. It was unpaid, but I'm not sure whether it would be a stretch to classify it as volunteering since it was for school credit. Thoughts?

wondering whether to classify an activity as "Other" or as clinical volunteering. My senior year I had to complete a 6-credit practicum (240 hours) which I completed working with patients in cardiac rehab. It was unpaid, but I'm not sure whether it would be a stretch to classify it as volunteering since it was for school credit. Thoughts?
How much other active clinical experience do you have to list?

Are phone numbers or emails preferred? Phone numbers are shorter so it’s easier to fit into the description box?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much other active clinical experience do you have to list?
Well, I have plenty of clinical experience to list, i have ~60 hours ED volunteering, I've worked in an ED for the last 2 years (~2000hrs), and I'm starting a new job as a medical assistant in a couple weeks. Most of my volunteering is on the non-clinical side, so I feel if possible, listing this practicum as clinical volunteering could help to beef that up.

Well, I have plenty of clinical experience to list, i have ~60 hours ED volunteering, I've worked in an ED for the last 2 years (~2000hrs), and I'm starting a new job as a medical assistant in a couple weeks. Most of my volunteering is on the non-clinical side, so I feel if possible, listing this practicum as clinical volunteering could help to beef that up.
You are right that "Other" is the best way to go when listing clinical experience gained via classroom requirement. And you definitely don't need to "beef up" your clinical volunteering when you are so heavy with clinical employment. If you want to highlight the nonpaid aspect of the Practicum, you can (delicately) mention it in the title you give the Other space and also in the narrative maybe mention how your presence assisted overworked staffers at that time (or whatever) assuming you were actually helpful and didn't need constant oversight.

I apologize if this was already answered, but for activities that were interrupted by COVID-19, do I use the repeated function to indicated the period where my volunteering stopped and when I plan on continuing it? Or is there no need to indicate this break?

I apologize if this was already answered, but for activities that were interrupted by COVID-19, do I use the repeated function to indicated the period where my volunteering stopped and when I plan on continuing it? Or is there no need to indicate this break?

Instead of entering a future date range in the header, I suggest a comment at the end of the entry that you plan to resume XXX after COVID restrictions are lifted for x hrs/week until y/yyyy. Do not include an hourly total, as you have no way of predicting what it will be. As things open up, you can use Secondary essays and update letters & portals to let schools know about start date and accumulated new hours.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you think the abbreviations of "PTSD" and "IRB" okay to use?

If I was in an EMS club but only spent around 40 hours over 3 years, would it be best to leave it out? I wasn't super interested in it, but i took an EMT course during freshman year which is why I felt like I had to include the club involvement since otherwise, there would be no connection to the EMT course.
Leave it out.

I have seen a couple people mention they added being a parent to their applications. I just dont know if I should or not because in the section to add it, theres an end date and Idk what I would put for that haha.
It seems to be the predominant opinion on SDN that one should not include it. I don't agree with that, personally, and some enter it anyway and do fine.

The farthest out you can enter any end date is Aug 2021.

I have 14 experiences listed. Not to make it reach 15, but in general would it be helpful to include my merit scholarship given by my college (which is given yearly as long as my gpa doesn't fall below a threshold). I did on my DO app since there's a separate section for awards but I was not sure for amcas.

I have 14 experiences listed. Not to make it reach 15, but in general would it be helpful to include my merit scholarship given by my college (which is given yearly as long as my gpa doesn't fall below a threshold). I did on my DO app since there's a separate section for awards but I was not sure for amcas.
How much is the scholarship worth each year? Do you have other recognitions listed?

That is a sufficiently substantial amount to mention it. Be sure to include the criteria and some indication of how selective it us. Enter it under Awards/Honors/ Recognitions.
Okay thank you. Should I clump it with Dean's List or just leave that out?

Okay thank you. Should I clump it with Dean's List or just leave that out?
I'm not a big fan of Dean's List, since GPAs speak for themselves, unless you had a steep upward trend after a poor showing and want an excuse to highlight that accomplishment.

Regardless, it's perfectly fine to add that to the space if you like.

I'm not a big fan of Dean's List, since GPAs speak for themselves, unless you had a steep upward trend after a poor showing and want an excuse to highlight that accomplishment.

Regardless, it's perfectly fine to add that to the space if you like.
Got it, thanks so much for answering my questions!

Hello! First, thank you for all of the insightful comments thus far on the thread.

1. I'm struggling with how / if to include a Fellowship Program I participated in throughout undergrad. I was admitted as an incoming freshman (based on essay application), but there were GPA and service requirements that were reviewed every semester to stay in the program. As Fellows, we had all costs of attendance paid for (about $100,000 in total over four years), and were given a $3,000 enrichment stipend. For the first two years, we had weekly seminars on various topics and service engagements.
1A. Should I list this as its own Honor/Award or lump into my more general category which also includes a) selection into a prestigious university-wide honorary (24 students, based on service) and b) selection as a Homecoming Court member (20 seniors, based on engagement with university community).
1B. Do those latter "honors" deserve a place in the application?

2. I co-founded a non-profit organization in 2016, and have served as President since April of 2019. If listed completely as a nonclinical volunteer category, the hours will be upwards of 700. Ought I break it up into two slots - one being nonclinical volunteering (the non-profit) and the other being Leadership (will include this leadership role and a leadership role in a different extracurricular)?

3. The non-profit received an award from my University for exemplary community service programming (only one given per year). Should I list this under the entry for the non-profit, or separately in the Honors / Awards (which already has 2, possibly 3 other items)?

4. For work done with the non-profit, I (and two other founders) were invited to give a presentation at an international conference. Should I include this in my Presentations entry or under the entry for the non-profit? (See #5 for what else is in the Presentations entry).

5. Though I did not give the presentations, an abstract from my research was accepted at 3 meetings and a different author gave them (2 poster, 1 oral). I personally presented the research poster at a university-wide research competition. Should the former three go in a Presentation entry and the latter go under the research experience?

Thank you so much! Let me know if the post is too long and I'll separate it.
1A) List it on its own or group with a)
1B) Skip Homecoming Court.

2) If this is your strongest leadership role, then split them up so the volunteerism is in its own space.

3) Either is fine, depending on where you have the space. Could group it with 1Aa) above.

4) I'd rather see it under Awards and Honors. If you had space with the affiliated non-profit entry, that's another possibility, though doesn't highlight it as much. Presentations is a possibility (not with those in #5 though), but not my first choice.

5) Yes. Give credit to the actual presenters, though.

I completed the COVID-19 Contact Tracing Certification from Johns Hopkins and am currently applying for positions. Unless I am formally accepted for one prior to submission, should I just leave this off entirely?
Yes. It will make for a nice addition for suitable Secondaries and future update letters/portals after you find work that utilizes the certification.

I need advice on an activity that overlaps categories.

I founded and later became the president of a non-profit that donates medical supplies to an impoverished country. I did a bunch of leadership things as president obviously, but now we are doing public health research that I am heavily involved with (I both went to the country to collect the data and am currently doing the data analysis/visualization as well as writing the actual paper)

My question is, can/should I list these as two separate experiences? The leadership experience is going to be one of my most meaningful. I also mention the research aspect in my personal statement, but don't go into much detail about it.

Thoughts?

I need advice on an activity that overlaps categories.

I founded and later became the president of a non-profit that donates medical supplies to an impoverished country. I did a bunch of leadership things as president obviously, but now we are doing public health research that I am heavily involved with (I both went to the country to collect the data and am currently doing the data analysis/visualization as well as writing the actual paper)

My question is, can/should I list these as two separate experiences? The leadership experience is going to be one of my most meaningful. I also mention the research aspect in my personal statement, but don't go into much detail about it.
Yes, you can split your participation with this organization into Leadership and Research, as long as you don't double count the hours.

Hi! I just joined today and am really enjoying the site so far. Thanks for all the continued help! I have a few questions-
1. I have been a competitive gymnast for almost 15 years now, practicing 20+ hours/week. I did it all throughout my childhood and early adulthood and currently compete at the varsity level in college. I have included my NCAA gymnastics as one of my most meaningful experiences and included in that how long I have been dedicated to the sport. Would it be worth it to include elsewhere in the application that I have been doing it for so long prior to college, or should I assume that they know that in order to be recruited you must have been doing it for a very long time prior to college?

2. I completed a summer program in high school where I did a lot of shadowing. I know it isn't typical to include high school experiences in your application, so I was wondering if it would be worth it to include the shadowing, or just stick to things I've done in college. I have around 150 shadowing hours in college.

3. (this forum might not be the right place for this question so I apologize!) I believe many DO schools require/strongly suggest a letter of recommendation from a DO you have shadowed. Due to COVID-19, I was unable to have a specific shadowing experience with just a singular DO. However, last summer, when I completed the majority of my shadowing, I shadowed many DOs. The only problem is, I was part of a pre-med program and was with many different doctors daily, so I was not assigned to just one. For example, I saw countless surgeries with DOs and did many hours in the ER, but with many different doctors. It was an 8-week program and often times, I was with different doctors each day. I wouldn't be sure that any of those DOs would remember me or be able to write a letter. Would it be worth it to include this in my application, explaining how COVID-19 impacted my plans for shadowing? I could provide a contact that can confirm my shadowing/hours with various different doctors at the hospital. I do not want the committee to think that because I do not have a letter of rec, this means I have never seen any DOs in practice.

Thanks in advance!

For 3 years now, I've been involved with my school's orientation program for new students, where I advise during orientation week and mentor the freshman throughout a year, with weekly check-ins and meetings. It's been a significant time commitment for me, and one of my most meaningful activities, and I wanted to list it as community service because it was unpaid and helped the new students directly. But recently, I saw somewhere that community service is more service towards the underserved. would adcoms look at it poorly if I listed this under community service? I have plenty of ECs and Leadership in my app already. Thank you so much!

I scribed in a surgical subspecialty for awhile. We only scribed for the clinic while they did their own thing on their surgery days. If I went and watched them do surgery one day can I count that as shadowing? I'm thinking it might be weird to put four hours of shadowing for the doctor I scribed for, but maybe not?

I'm trying to decide between two experiences for my last entry - any advice would be helpful!

1) Overseas community volunteer experience in 2012 (summer before college)
-About 100 hours in 3 weeks
-In rural village in France, rebuilding a cobblestone road as part of heritage preservation

-Pros: unique experience in my list so far, I'm slightly lacking in community volunteering overall, still memorable to this day
-Cons: a long time ago, tricky contact details, not relevant to medicine

2) Part-time employment at a local restaurant
-About 1000 hours in high school, about 1600 hours after college graduation
-Helped me pay student loans back, gain independence earlier in life

-Pros: a lot of hours, only non-medicine related employment, lasted a while
-Cons: not relevant to medicine, first dates were back in high school

Last edited:
Hi! I just joined today and am really enjoying the site so far. Thanks for all the continued help! I have a few questions-
1. I have been a competitive gymnast for almost 15 years now, practicing 20+ hours/week. I did it all throughout my childhood and early adulthood and currently compete at the varsity level in college. I have included my NCAA gymnastics as one of my most meaningful experiences and included in that how long I have been dedicated to the sport. Would it be worth it to include elsewhere in the application that I have been doing it for so long prior to college, or should I assume that they know that in order to be recruited you must have been doing it for a very long time prior to college?

2. I completed a summer program in high school where I did a lot of shadowing. I know it isn't typical to include high school experiences in your application, so I was wondering if it would be worth it to include the shadowing, or just stick to things I've done in college. I have around 150 shadowing hours in college.

3. (this forum might not be the right place for this question so I apologize!) I believe many DO schools require/strongly suggest a letter of recommendation from a DO you have shadowed. Due to COVID-19, I was unable to have a specific shadowing experience with just a singular DO. However, last summer, when I completed the majority of my shadowing, I shadowed many DOs. The only problem is, I was part of a pre-med program and was with many different doctors daily, so I was not assigned to just one. For example, I saw countless surgeries with DOs and did many hours in the ER, but with many different doctors. It was an 8-week program and often times, I was with different doctors each day. I wouldn't be sure that any of those DOs would remember me or be able to write a letter. Would it be worth it to include this in my application, explaining how COVID-19 impacted my plans for shadowing? I could provide a contact that can confirm my shadowing/hours with various different doctors at the hospital. I do not want the committee to think that because I do not have a letter of rec, this means I have never seen any DOs in practice.
Welcome to SDN.

1) You only need to mention it once.

2) Since the 150 college hours is about three times what you need, there is no reason the mention the HS experience in the Activities section, though you could refer to it in the PS as part of your path to medicine, if you like.

3) I suggest you post this question in the PreMed DO Forum and tag Goro for help.

For 3 years now, I've been involved with my school's orientation program for new students, where I advise during orientation week and mentor the freshman throughout a year, with weekly check-ins and meetings. It's been a significant time commitment for me, and one of my most meaningful activities, and I wanted to list it as community service because it was unpaid and helped the new students directly.

But recently, I saw somewhere that community service is more service towards the underserved. would adcoms look at it poorly if I listed this under community service? I have plenty of ECs and Leadership in my app already.
This is Volunteer/Community Service. I disagree that the label should apply only if in reference to the underserved. I do think that adcomms, in general, would also like to see service off campus and out of one's usual comfort zone. That doesn't mean it will be viewed poorly if you served your immediate campus community.

Has anyone done a summer academic enrichment program ? (edited to remove a detail, moderator)

I did this a few summers ago, and it was extremely meaningful, having attended conferences, led discussion groups, volunteer at various different settings, and took 3 graduate level classes (non-credit, but received a grade). I was wondering how best to classify this.
As it includes a mixed bag of activities which cover several categories, it's best to use the tag Other. If you are otherwise short of community service in your application, you can carve out those separate dates and hours and enter them into their own space (if the hours are sufficient to stand on their own). Just don't double count the hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
I scribed in a surgical subspecialty for awhile. We only scribed for the clinic while they did their own thing on their surgery days. If I went and watched them do surgery one day can I count that as shadowing? I'm thinking it might be weird to put four hours of shadowing for the doctor I scribed for, but maybe not?
That's fine, but I'd hope you have other dedicated shadowing to group it with. Listing four hours all by itself would be "weird."

I'm trying to decide between two experiences for my last entry - any advice would be helpful!

1) Overseas community volunteer experience in 2012 (summer before college)
-About 100 hours in 3 weeks
-In rural village in France, rebuilding a cobblestone road as part of heritage preservation

-Pros: unique experience in my list so far, I'm slightly lacking in community volunteering overall, still memorable to this day
-Cons: a long time ago, tricky contact details, not relevant to medicine

2) Part-time employment at a local restaurant
-About 1000 hours in high school, about 1600 hours after college graduation
-Helped me pay student loans back, gain independence earlier in life

-Pros: a lot of hours, only non-medicine related employment, lasted a while
-Cons: not relevant to medicine, first dates were back in high school
You didn't mention your position at the restaurant. If you were a server, manager, or cashier, I'd list that activity. Many characteristics of those jobs reflect well and translate into one being a good med school candidate. Dishwasher: not so much.

Hi Catalystik,

I was am using up all my activities for the application. the top 15 are ones that I believe shape my application --> lots of teaching involved but then the issue is that there are only 1-2 activities that describe my freshmen + soph 1st semester year. I was a member of the the prehealth club and a women's club, but really didnt do much and just enjoyed their activities. should i include those into my application?

Also, like you mentioned there isn't an ultimate way to do this section of our app. Do you have any good specific examples of how people have written this section? Just watched a few videos on YT and there seems to be 2 different ways: List your ECs in an eloquent but straightfoward way or write a narrative about a specific experience

thank you so much

Hi Catalystik,

I was am using up all my activities for the application. the top 15 are ones that I believe shape my application --> lots of teaching involved but then the issue is that there are only 1-2 activities that describe my freshmen + soph 1st semester year. I was a member of the the prehealth club and a women's club, but really didnt do much and just enjoyed their activities.
1) should i include those into my application?

Also, like you mentioned there isn't an ultimate way to do this section of our app.
2) Do you have any good specific examples of how people have written this section? Just watched a few videos on YT and there seems to be 2 different ways: List your ECs in an eloquent but straightfoward way or write a narrative about a specific experience
1) No, not unless they led to significant volunteering or leadership.

2) Some Activity description examples for you, with thanks to member Nick Naylor:

Scroll down to activities. If necessary, click each activity name to see the expanded narrative.
http://mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=19291

Status
Not open for further replies.