*~*~*~* Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2021-2024 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As a non-trad, I have to combine multiple activities together into one on AMCAS. Would you recommend leaving out contact information for some of the activities in order to give a meaningful activity description? After writing the contact info for every activity in the combined activity, I only have room to write maybe 1-3 sentences for the combined description. Would adcoms care if only one contact is listed for the combined activities?
It depends on how important the activity is to your candidacy. And if it’s not that important, consider whether you can leave it off entirely, or just use yourself as Contact for the entire space.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I have been involved in a volunteer experience from September 2018 – present, but did not participate from March 2020 – February 2021 due to COVID. Would you suggest using the repeat function for before pandemic, after pandemic, and future expected, or would it be better to just include all involvement from September 2018 – June 2021 (+ repeated for expected) and mention in the description that the activity was disrupted for a period of time due to COVID?

Hi! I have been involved in a volunteer experience from September 2018 – present, but did not participate from March 2020 – February 2021 due to COVID. Would you suggest a) using the repeat function for before pandemic, after pandemic, and future expected, or b) would it be better to just include all involvement from September 2018 – June 2021 (+ repeated for expected) and mention in the description that the activity was disrupted for a period of time due to COVID?
a) of the above choices would be my preference.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m working on work and activities section for AMCAS 2022. I’m a firefighter/EMT on my local fire department and trying to figure out how it would be best to classify experience type. The majority of calls are medical, but others are strictly fire or public service.

Would you....
a) Mark as clinical since most calls are medical
OR
b) Break up into two activities... one being for clinical and the other non clinical

Would either of these work, or is there a better way to do it? Thanks!

I’m working on work and activities section for AMCAS 2022. I’m a firefighter/EMT on my local fire department and trying to figure out how it would be best to classify experience type. The majority of calls are medical, but others are strictly fire or public service.

Would you....
a) Mark as clinical since most calls are medical
OR
b) Break up into two activities... one being for clinical and the other non clinical

Would either of these work, or is there a better way to do it? Thanks!
If the majority of the hours you'll claim are related to the care of people who'd be viewed as "patients," you can tag the space with the Clinical label. For complete transparency, I'd hope you'll comment in your narrative about the percent split with other duties. But honestly, I can't imagine that you don't have a lot to say about both aspects of your job, and you'd have far more space for discussion if you use two slots and call one of them Nonclinical.

Hello! Another question about research activities. I currently have both a published manuscript and abstract. Should I list both together under the 'publications' activity? Additionally, they were presented at a conference, but I was not the one to present them (wasn't at the conference), is that information important to list at all? Thanks!

I'd like to write about 2 different hobbies but only if I have 2 extra unused spaces for it. Is that too many? Otherwise I'll just write about 1.

And separate question - one of my hobbies is TikTok. I'd list it as an artistic endeavor. I'm not an influencer by any means, but I have around 10k followers and a few hundred thousand likes. My total reached audience is likely over a million. It's just been a really fun side project to make entertaining videos during covid. Is it inappropriate to talk about? I thought it'd be a little unique but I feel that people hear TikTok and cringe. I don't think it's much different from someone creating a popular YouTube channel, though, so I want to think that it deserves to be fair game.

Hello! Another question about research activities. I currently have both a published manuscript and abstract. Should I list both together under the 'publications' activity?
Are they related, ie did they come from the same dataset or project? Where did the abstract appear: conference booklet or in the supplement of a national/regional journal and having a PMID#? Are you referring to a poster and/or podium presentation?
Additionally, they were presented at a conference, but I was not the one to present them (wasn't at the conference), is that information important to list at all? Thanks!
It's important to give credit where it is due (research being a team sport, and all), so acknowledge the author who is the presenter.

1) I'd like to write about 2 different hobbies but only if I have 2 extra unused spaces for it. Is that too many? Otherwise I'll just write about 1.

2) And separate question - one of my hobbies is TikTok. I'd list it as an artistic endeavor. I'm not an influencer by any means, but I have around 10k followers and a few hundred thousand likes. My total reached audience is likely over a million. It's just been a really fun side project to make entertaining videos during covid. Is it inappropriate to talk about? I thought it'd be a little unique but I feel that people hear TikTok and cringe. I don't think it's much different from someone creating a popular YouTube channel, though, so I want to think that it deserves to be fair game.
1) Most group all Hobbies into one space, but if you have a lot to say, using two spaces is acceptable.

2) I know little about TikTok so I am not your best resource for this question. I didn't automatically cringe on hearing the name. At the least, I think it's fine to talk about your video production, as long as your videos are acceptable to a conservative grandma. You can decide based on others' opinions whether to mention the platform.

How many characters are available to write the Organization name (Title of experience is 60 characters max)? Thanks!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Are they related, ie did they come from the same dataset or project? Where did the abstract appear: conference booklet or in the supplement of a national/regional journal and having a PMID#? Are you referring to a poster and/or podium presentation?

It's important to give credit where it is due (research being a team sport, and all), so acknowledge the author who is the presenter.

1. They are not related - they come from different datasets and deal with different topics. 2. The manuscript has a PMID#, the abstract does not but was published in Critical Care Medicine and presented at the Society of Critical Care Medicine Congress + another research colloquium. Does that help?

1. They are not related - they come from different datasets and deal with different topics. 2. The manuscript has a PMID#, the abstract does not but was published in Critical Care Medicine and presented at the Society of Critical Care Medicine Congress + another research colloquium. Does that help?
Yes, you can put them both (article with PMID# + CritCare abstract) in a Publications space. Both presentations can be cited in the same space since they are related to the published abstract.

Yes, you can put them both (article with PMID# + CritCare abstract) in a Publications space. Both presentations can be cited in the same space since they are related to the published abstract.
Amazing thanks!

I need to do virtual shadowing because nothing is available in-person around me. Are schools going to request some kind of verification for this?

I need to do virtual shadowing because nothing is available in-person around me. Are schools going to request some kind of verification for this?
Ideally, yes. Perhaps you could use the organizer? If all else fails, use yourself as the Contact. Regardless, keeping a log would create an artifact that would help verify your involvement.

Hello everyone!

I have a very specific question about entering shadowing in the application.

I have around 40 hours of combined shadowing in different specialties not including primary care. I was recently looking to shadow primary care with no luck because of problems with COVID. I got an opportunity through a family friend to shadow at a DNP's pediatric office. I would go in each day and shadow the DNP some and then she would pass me off to various physicians in the pediatric office whenever there was a chance/they were free. This cumulated to about 10 hours of total shadowing.

Is it worth it to include this in my application and if so how would I word it/enter it?
Thanks for any help.
I think it's worth including on your list. You might estimate the percent of the ten hours that you shadowed the DNP and include that in your description (vs the time spent with pediatricians, referred to as "various physician staff" rather than by name). The DNP could be your Contact.

What is the procedure for listing hours spent on hobbies? I have a few hobbies that I am planning on condensing into one entry. 0 idea on the amount of time spent on them because they've been hobbies for most of my life.

What is the procedure for listing hours spent on hobbies? I have a few hobbies that I am planning on condensing into one entry. 0 idea on the amount of time spent on them because they've been hobbies for most of my life.
You might enter a 0 or a 999 or 9999 (meaning, hours unknowable).

What would be an appropriate title for an entry about the research poster I presented at a regional conference. I was first author on the research and presenter. The regional conference is not affiliated with my university. Thanks!

What would be an appropriate title for an entry about the research poster I presented at a regional conference. I was first author on the research and presenter. The regional conference is not affiliated with my university. Thanks!
First-Authored Poster on [Topic]
First-Authored Poster at Regional Conference
Presented First-Authored Poster on [Topic]

Or a blend with whatever you were already thinking.

Hi

I am applying this cycle and have a full time research technician position for my gap year at a well known and very respected hospital (and what I believe to be a very interesting project) that I would really like to mention in my application: however, I will not start the experience until June 1st. Am I allowed to mention this in my application as an activity? If so, I am planning on applying day 1, so I would have to put that start date as May 2021 even though I don't start until June 1st.

Should I wait to apply until I technically log my first day of hours in June?

If this is not okay to do is there some other way I can mention the position in my application or should I save it for update/letters of intent?

Thank you so much for your help.
Another option would be to tack mention of the upcoming job onto the end of another Research entry. You could then give updates to schools as the project matures, for those that allow them.

If this option isn’t appealing due to space limitations, wait to submit until after your first day on the job.

Hi @Catalystik! I did Clinical Programming and Community Development work at two different sites: one in a major hospital and another in a small local free clinic, I do not have enough slots to add each in separately, but the work I did for both was along the same lines. Is there a way I can include both under one header?

Hi @Catalystik! I did Clinical Programming and Community Development work at two different sites: one in a major hospital and another in a small local free clinic, I do not have enough slots to add each in separately, but the work I did for both was along the same lines. Is there a way I can include both under one header?
Are both Paid Employment or both Volunteer?

One was a paid Internship the other a paid Fellowship!
If you want to group them, the tag you pick needs to apply to both activities. "While Paid Employment-Not Medical/Clinical" could be used, but The "Other" designation is better. Give the space a name that applies to both, like, Clinical Programs & Community Development Intern & Fellow. Header Datespan can be all encompassing. (You get up to 60 characters). In the description mention the Paid aspect.

Enter the Contact info for the more recent activity in the header and the other in the description. The Total Hours space can be the total of the two; subtotals go in the description with datespans.

Hello. I have a long organization name (approximately 40 characters) that is spread across multiple activities and sections and combined so I can't put it under the organization name. Will an acronym for this organization have to be redefined every activity or can an acronym be defined only once and used throughout the activities section?

I have a long organization name (approximately 40 characters) that is spread across multiple activities and sections and combined so I can't put it under the organization name. Will an acronym for this organization have to be redefined every activity or can an acronym be defined only once and used throughout the activities section?
As you can't assume one reader will have access to all the Activities entries or in what order they'll appear for each school, the acronym can't be defined in only one space.

You have 60 characters for organization Name. Could you fit your acronym in the same space in parentheses, after the full name (perhaps with some abbreviations if you're adding more than the 40 spaces you allude to)? If so, then you can use the acronym only within the description.

Last edited:
I'm debating on whether to add this or not. I'm not sure if an adcom would consider it ethical. I used to help trap neuter-release cats in my neighborhood to help with the overpopulation problem, but I'm not sure if that would rub someone who reads it the wrong way. I mean, on top of that, I would also feed the feral colonies and such. So I'm wondering whether to just focus on feeding local cats as a hobby or add the TNR or just avoid it altogether.

I'm debating on whether to add this or not. I'm not sure if an adcom would consider it ethical. I used to help trap neuter-release cats in my neighborhood to help with the overpopulation problem, but I'm not sure if that would rub someone who reads it the wrong way. I mean, on top of that, I would also feed the feral colonies and such. So I'm wondering whether to just focus on feeding local cats as a hobby or add the TNR or just avoid it altogether.
I think the entire activity described is laudable. If there are parts of the US that would consider this unethical, I have not heard of them. Are there groups that tout feline reproductive freedom?

Do I need both the email and phone number of the person I mark as a contact in this section? AMCAS marks them both as required, but some of my contacts don't necessarily have a reliable email or an email at all.

I am using one activity slot to list a number of awards I have received pertaining to one of my extracurricular activities. One of these awards is especially meaningful, and I would like to articulate upon it more in the description of the most meaningful slot devoted to the actual activity. Would this be okay, or would it be considered "double-dipping?"

Only one was required when I applied last year. If you enter one in, it should allow you to skip entering the other unless they changed it this year.

Thanks for your help! In the PS, if the language isn't precise on "Why medicine?", critics will often say, "Why not pursue other X career where you can do somthing similar?" Does this carry over to the activities section? Will it be dangerous for me to discuss the positive impact that non-clinical activities had on me because it may leave adcoms thinking, "Oh he/she liked X non-clinical activity so much, why don't they pursue it further rather than going into medicine?"

I am using one activity slot to list a number of awards I have received pertaining to one of my extracurricular activities. One of these awards is especially meaningful, and I would like to articulate upon it more in the description of the most meaningful slot devoted to the actual activity. Would this be okay, or would it be considered "double-dipping?"
Yes, you don't want to mention the same award in two different slots. It would be confusing. Might all of them fit in the same MM activity space? It would help keep the recognitions in context if they stay with the affiliated experience. Alternatively, mention the particularly meaningful award only in the affiliated activity space, but keep the rest elsewhere.

Thanks for your help! In the PS, if the language isn't precise on "Why medicine?", critics will often say, "Why not pursue other X career where you can do somthing similar?" Does this carry over to the activities section? Will it be dangerous for me to discuss the positive impact that non-clinical activities had on me because it may leave adcoms thinking, "Oh he/she liked X non-clinical activity so much, why don't they pursue it further rather than going into medicine?"
No. Everything in the application need not be connected to medicine. You're allowed to enjoy a variety of unrelated activities. without a negative impact on your candidacy. That's not to say an interview question might not ask the question you allude to (as some interviewers like to frame "challenge" questions to put you on the spot), but you can easily parry it with a confident response that shows you've thought about it.

Reactions: 1 users
Do I need both the email and phone number of the person I mark as a contact in this section? AMCAS marks them both as required, but some of my contacts don't necessarily have a reliable email or an email at all.
Only one is required for the 2022 application year, also.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, you don't want to mention the same award in two different slots. It would be confusing. Might all of them fit in the same MM activity space? It would help keep the recognitions in context if they stay with the affiliated experience. Alternatively, mention the particularly meaningful award only in the affiliated activity space, but keep the rest elsewhere.
Thanks! I'm not sure if they will fit in the MM activity space but I'll try it out. Do you think it would be a good option to describe the award in the activity dedicated to the awards? That would be the only award I add any description to. I would then be able to talk about another aspect of the activity in the MM space.

Thanks! I'm not sure if they will fit in the MM activity space but I'll try it out. Do you think it would be a good option to describe the award in the activity dedicated to the awards? That would be the only award I add any description to. I would then be able to talk about another aspect of the activity in the MM space.
You might try it out both ways to see if they all fit in one or the other, with sufficient description to support the importance of the particularly meaningful award.

I won several outside scholarships at the end of high school that renewed every year during undergrad. These were based primarily on merit and paid for a significant chunk of my UG. Is this the sort of thing I would list in the awards section of AMCAS, or is it not relevant?

I won several outside scholarships at the end of high school that renewed every year during undergrad. These were based primarily on merit and paid for a significant chunk of my UG. Is this the sort of thing I would list in the awards section of AMCAS, or is it not relevant?
If you have the space, list them, focusing on the college-based requirements for annual renewal. If they were highly selective, give some indication of that if you have the statistics.

I have volunteered on campus for about a dozen STEM events ranging from state science fairs to Boyscouts events all totaling around 60 hours or so. Additionally, I was premed club President for 2 years.

I am finding difficulty fitting these items on my application. While I know for a lot of applicants, premed club President is their most significant leadership, or on campus volunteering for as substantial, I believe that they serve what amounts to the least important things on my application.

Would it be OK to leave these off of my application even though they are typically significant for most applicants? And if I left them off, would it be appropriate to use the anything else essays on secondary applications to put “I do not believe my primary application wholly reflects the degree of my on campus participation....” and so on?

I have volunteered on campus for about a dozen STEM events ranging from state science fairs to Boyscouts events all totaling around 60 hours or so. Additionally, I was premed club President for 2 years.

I am finding difficulty fitting these items on my application. While I know for a lot of applicants, premed club President is their most significant leadership, or on campus volunteering for as substantial, I believe that they serve what amounts to the least important things on my application.

Would it be OK to leave these off of my application even though they are typically significant for most applicants? And if I left them off, would it be appropriate to use the anything else essays on secondary applications to put “I do not believe my primary application wholly reflects the degree of my on campus participation....” and so on?
Before I finished reading your post, I was thinking that this experience that you have no space to discuss adequately would be perfect for appropriate Secondary prompts.

Reactions: 1 users
Before I finished reading your post, I was thinking that this experience that you have no space to discuss adequately would be perfect for appropriate Secondary prompts.
For most secondary prompts (challenge, failure, adversity, diversity, community service, leadership, etc.) my other activities offer much more significant anecdotes, both in terms of my narrative and just the objective contribution of the activity. Would the anything else essay be an appropriate place to put this/would that be a beneficial way of wording it?