*~*~*~* Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2021-2024 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How would you list research that was done for credit during the school year but was paid over the summer? All research was done in the same lab for the same PI. Altogether it amounts to more than 1000 hours, 400 were paid.
List it all under a Research tab. Comment in the description about the transition to a paid position, but if you don’t have enough characters, it’s not essential to distinguish.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do projected hours matter for shadowing? I have some more hours planned during the application year on top of what I've already done.

How many hours are completed? Are the projected hours definitively scheduled? Do you lack primary care shadowing and plan to fill the vacuum?
40. None are primary care, and I was not able to schedule any. The projected hours are scheduled.

40. None are primary care, and I was not able to schedule any. The projected hours are scheduled.
Your projected hours are unlikely to be taken into account. You already have a reasonable amount of shadowing regardless. Some schools with a primary care focus might like to hear of added primary care shadowing, after it's completed, via update letters, Secondaries, or interview conversations.

For my senior practicum, I was an intern at a community partnership organization. I'm not totally sure how to classify this experience - it wasn't paid and it wasn't volunteer (I got course credit for it). I could potentially classify it as leadership because my main project was to design a community needs assessment survey, however I didn't oversee anyone and worked mostly independently on this project other than receiving feedback from the director. I'm thinking I should classify this as "other", but I'd like to put it into some type of category. Thoughts?

For my senior practicum, I was an intern at a community partnership organization. I'm not totally sure how to classify this experience - it wasn't paid and it wasn't volunteer (I got course credit for it). I could potentially classify it as leadership because my main project was to design a community needs assessment survey, however I didn't oversee anyone and worked mostly independently on this project other than receiving feedback from the director. I'm thinking I should classify this as "other", but I'd like to put it into some type of category. Thoughts?
From what you describe, "Other" would be the most suitable tag. Use the title of the space to make the most noteworthy component(s) stand out.

Reactions: 1 user
Which title would you suggest? While one highlights my productivity, it does take slightly more effort to decipher
  1. Research Assistant in Cognitive Neuroscience Research Lab
  2. Cognitive Neuroscience Research Asst - Abstract, Oral Presen

Which title would you suggest? While one highlights my productivity, it does take slightly more effort to decipher
  1. Research Assistant in Cognitive Neuroscience Research Lab
  2. Cognitive Neuroscience Research Asst - Abstract, Oral Presen
Research Asst in Neuroscience, Abstract, Oral Presentation

Members don't see this ad :)
I have 900 hours paid clinical employment that I will continue as full time throughout the application cycle. The only clinical volunteering I have is 25 hours over the span of my freshman year (2017-2018). I can speak meaningfully about my experience, but I do not want the activity entry to be viewed as me just trying to fill slots. Should I include it?

I have 900 hours paid clinical employment that I will continue as full time throughout the application cycle. The only clinical volunteering I have is 25 hours over the span of my freshman year (2017-2018). I can speak meaningfully about my experience, but I do not want the activity entry to be viewed as me just trying to fill slots. Should I include it?
Do the 25 hours fill an experience niche that the 900 hours lack? Is there a similarity in roles where you might say that one inspired the other? Why only 25 hours over the span of a year? How many hours of nonclinical volunteering do you have? Were the 25 hours sponsored/overseen by a similar organization/club with the other volunteering?

Do the 25 hours fill an experience niche that the 900 hours lack? Is there a similarity in roles where you might say that one inspired the other? Why only 25 hours over the span of a year? How many hours of nonclinical volunteering do you have? Were the 25 hours sponsored/overseen by a similar organization/club with the other volunteering?
I was in a club that went to a nursing home for a few hours each month, but decided not to remain in the club after the first year due to scheduling conflicts. My paid clinical is medical assistant with primary care/addiction medicine. I have 250 nonclinical volunteering with my local Ronald McDonald House - not affiliated with the club, just on my own. I won a service award for RMH and have a letter of recommendation from the manager.

I was in a club that went to a nursing home for a few hours each month, but decided not to remain in the club after the first year due to scheduling conflicts. My paid clinical is medical assistant with primary care/addiction medicine. I have 250 nonclinical volunteering with my local Ronald McDonald House - not affiliated with the club, just on my own. I won a service award for RMH and have a letter of recommendation from the manager.
With all that, it won't hurt you to leave off the 25 hours. And I agree that 25 hours would look sparse on their own. Alternatively, you could group it in a short-term nonclinical volunteering space, mention it in an Extracurricular space for the sponsoring club-including all the hours of club involvement (maybe including it in the space's name), or save it for an "Is there anything else you want us to know" Secondary prompt.

When can a hobby turn into an Artistic Endeavor? I'm an artist that paints and does graphic art for an instagram page with over 16k followers. Does that count as an artistic endeavor?

When can a hobby turn into an Artistic Endeavor? I'm an artist that paints and does graphic art for an instagram page with over 16k followers. Does that count as an artistic endeavor?
An artistic endeavor reaches a wider audience than a hobby. You’ve definitely met that mark!

Reactions: 1 users
I also have 20 hours of nonclinical volunteering/teaching (I was trained on a neuroscience topic and then taught a few lessons for middle schoolers). Would it be inappropriate to group this activity with that clinical volunteering? Not sure how that would work with them being different categories

I also have 20 hours of nonclinical volunteering/teaching (I was trained on a neuroscience topic and then taught a few lessons for middle schoolers). Would it be inappropriate to group this activity with that clinical volunteering? Not sure how that would work with them being different categories
What was your role in the nursing home?

I guess it could be classified as activities assistant? They were all in memory care, so we played games like family feud. I also led through them low impact exercises and sat with them during lunch.

I guess it could be classified as activities assistant? They were all in memory care, so we played games like family feud. I also led through them low impact exercises and sat with them during lunch.
So you might consider that these activities were largely “teaching” also. You could certainly spin it that way.

I think you could make it work if you group these two activities together in a non medical community service slot and include the word Teaching in the title of the space.

I volunteered for ~30 hours + training, but I was on call for the shifts. The nature of the tasks required only being able to actually "work" when called in. During these hours, I never once was called in. I have since moved on to another organization since I want to actually help, but I haven't gotten many hours there yet due to COVID and other issues.

Should I even list this? I feel like I have a gap in my ECs if I don't list it, but I won't be able to say much besides giving me motivation to volunteer elsewhere. My only other volunteer experience was several years ago. I have lots of clinical experience as my job and as a non-trad.

For AMCAS, I'd encourage you to spread out the research activities into Research, Paid Employment-Not Medical/Clinical, and Leadership (at least one of each) as well as Publications.

For the Baylor/Alabama clinical trial, did you personally interact with current patients, and if so, how?
OK, potentially I could put my biotech work experience as Paid Employment (Non Medical/Clinical), break off a couple of responsibilities into separate leadership experience entries, and put my unpaid internships in undergrad under research.

I did not interact with patients, nor did anyone at my company. OBGYNs at Baylor/Alabama collected blood samples from pregnant women and sent them to us with anonymized information. I helped process the samples (extracting DNA and running our NGS test), I also setup the system for recording all relevant information and data and eventually transferring it to the clinical lab and managing data.

Hello. is it acceptable for applicants to use acronyms for research conferences without writing the full name first? The names are extremely long, and I am unsure how I can fit in my conferences/publications into 700 characters.

Would it be considered lying if I listed shadowing on my application without the word "virtual" when it was virtual even if I talked about patient interaction and what I learned, just like with a regular shadowing opportunity?

I volunteered for ~30 hours + training, but I was on call for the shifts. The nature of the tasks required only being able to actually "work" when called in. During these hours, I never once was called in. I have since moved on to another organization since I want to actually help, but I haven't gotten many hours there yet due to COVID and other issues.

Should I even list this? I feel like I have a gap in my ECs if I don't list it, but I won't be able to say much besides giving me motivation to volunteer elsewhere. My only other volunteer experience was several years ago. I have lots of clinical experience as my job and as a non-trad.
Was this a clinically-related activity? How many hours was the training and was it applicable to another position? Is the new organization where you have few hours similar (clinical or nonclinical)?

1) OK, potentially I could put my biotech work experience as Paid Employment (Non Medical/Clinical), break off a couple of responsibilities into separate leadership experience entries, and put my unpaid internships in undergrad under research.

2) I did not interact with patients, nor did anyone at my company. OBGYNs at Baylor/Alabama collected blood samples from pregnant women and sent them to us with anonymized information. I helped process the samples (extracting DNA and running our NGS test), I also setup the system for recording all relevant information and data and eventually transferring it to the clinical lab and managing data.
1) :thumbup:
2) Then it would not be listed under Paid Employment-Medical/Clinical, even though it was clinical research.

Hello. is it acceptable for applicants to use acronyms for research conferences without writing the full name first? The names are extremely long, and I am unsure how I can fit in my conferences/publications into 700 characters.
No. You need to spell the conference name out somewhere. Abbreviations are OK if generally interpretable. Poster titles and Pub titles can also be truncated/abbreviated.

Would it be considered lying if I listed shadowing on my application without the word "virtual" when it was virtual even if I talked about patient interaction and what I learned, just like with a regular shadowing opportunity?
Adcomms understand the challenges to applicants over this last year. List your shadowing transparently and without obfuscation. You do not want to be challenged on this point at an interview after the time and expense invested (assuming a more normal cycle this year) in getting there, only to have the rest of your application brought into question as a consequence.

For entering a publication in the activities section, would you guys recommend including the full citation in the experience section? I am dedicating another activity slot to describing the work I did in the lab where I earned the publication so I didn't want it to be repetitive in the experience section for the publication.
Yes, a separate space tagged Publications should be used to cite your accepted manuscript. That's where schools will look for it. No additional details are needed.

Was this a clinically-related activity? How many hours was the training and was it applicable to another position? Is the new organization where you have few hours similar (clinical or nonclinical)?

No, this was nonclinical. Training was initially about 8 hours, but then there was upkeep training and a massive transition in software used for the volunteering that required another 12 hours. I then was on call for 30-35 hours. Most of the training was role-specific, though there was about 2-3 hours devoted towards interacting with clients that are experiencing a major loss (house fire/flooding, family member death). The new organization is also nonclinical but I would say they do not have much overlap in task responsibilities.

No, this was nonclinical. Training was initially about 8 hours, but then there was upkeep training and a massive transition in software used for the volunteering that required another 12 hours. I then was on call for 30-35 hours. Most of the training was role-specific, though there was about 2-3 hours devoted towards interacting with clients that are experiencing a major loss (house fire/flooding, family member death). The new organization is also nonclinical but I would say they do not have much overlap in task responsibilities.
I agree with you that listing it on its own is problematic, but that doesn't mean you can't refer to it in the space detailing the subsequent volunteer position, if you wish. Perhaps like, "I began this activity after 20 training hours in [month/year] as an on-call [role] for which I was never tapped through [month/year]." Then add some transition, segue, or impact statement that ties the two activities together, perhaps based on some role commonality or a part of the training you were able to implement. If you can't do this gracefully, just let it go.

I'm not certain whether anyone has asked these questions before but..

1.) I took an EMT course a year ago but it wasn't for college credit. I'm fully licensed. Would it be fine to place it in the work/activities section?

2.) I'm having a difficult time finding phone numbers and updated information for a couple of my work experiences (ie scribeamerica, hospital volunteering). I have resorted to placing 000-000-0000 and/or just giving HRs information. Would this work?

I feel like I'm overthinking this.

I'm not certain whether anyone has asked these questions before but..

1.) I took an EMT course a year ago but it wasn't for college credit. I'm fully licensed. Would it be fine to place it in the work/activities section?

2.) I'm having a difficult time finding phone numbers and updated information for a couple of my work experiences (ie scribeamerica, hospital volunteering). I have resorted to placing 000-000-0000 and/or just giving HRs information. Would this work?

I feel like I'm overthinking this.
1) Yes, but if you've never used it for any position, it won't help you much, unless you can cite some patient contact that wasn't shadowing (and which would be neither volunteer or paid employment, but rather best tagged with the Other category). Observational ride-alongs could be listed under Shadowing.

2) Using HR info is fine (phone or email), since a reference is not required, just a confirmation of your involvement in the timeframe you provided. Do not use a null phone number, rather use yourself as the Contact instead.

Hello,

So for one of my research labs I have 1 publication, 2 abstracts at a national conference for which I am a middle author, and 2 campus poster presentations for which I am the primary author.

I also have a summer research internship at another university for which I have a poster presentation as well.

So, I am not sure how to list all of these. Should I list my publication as my most meaningful activity and then list the 2 abstracts and 2 campus poster presentations in another single entry. And then use a third entry for the summer research internship.

Also, should I title the entry as research and list all the abstracts and presentations, or should I title it as research and then list them in the description.
And for the summer research internship, should I title it as research or poster presentation.

Moreover, I mentioned all three of my most meaningful activities in personal statement. So should I try switching one up or is it fine and describe my most meaningful experiences through a different specific example than the one used in the personal statement. Furthermore, from these specific examples should I talk about how they impacted me and what I learned in similar to what I mentioned in the personal statement.

Sorry for all the questions.
Thank you.

1) So for one of my research labs I have 1 publication, 2 abstracts at a national conference for which I am a middle author, and 2 campus poster presentations for which I am the primary author.

I also have a summer research internship at another university for which I have a poster presentation as well.

So, I am not sure how to list all of these. Should I list my publication as my most meaningful activity and then list the 2 abstracts and 2 campus poster presentations in another single entry. And then use a third entry for the summer research internship.

Also, should I title the entry as research and list all the abstracts and presentations, or should I title it as research and then list them in the description.
And for the summer research internship, should I title it as research or poster presentation.

2) Moreover, I mentioned all three of my most meaningful activities in personal statement. So should I try switching one up or is it fine and describe my most meaningful experiences through a different specific example than the one used in the personal statement. Furthermore, from these specific examples should I talk about how they impacted me and what I learned in similar to what I mentioned in the personal statement.
1) Read FAQ item #20 of post 2 from this thread for research organizational tips.

It looks like you've had experience with two research labs. Ideally, each would have their own Research entry. Campus posters can be mentioned in the Research space, unless they were also presented elsewhere. Besides two Research spaces, you would have a Publications space, too, for the accepted manuscript and any of the posters that came from the same data set. You'd add a dedicated Presentations/Posters space for those that are unrelated.

2) It's fine to mention MM entries in the PS, but as you said, try to make the commentary different in each area, with different vocabulary, organization, and anecdotes. Med School application screeners may or may not have access to both portions of your application.

i understand the redundancy of having the organization name in a title, but if the organization name is fairly descriptive of the club (ex. Neuroscience Club) would it still be frowned upon for a title to be "President of Neuroscience Club" ?

Does hour per week need to match total hours? I totaled 100 hours over 10 weeks but it varied per week (some weekends were 20+ hours). Should I list 10 hrs/week or try to make it more accurate to a normal week (7 hours/week).

Does hour per week need to match total hours? I totaled 100 hours over 10 weeks but it varied per week (some weekends were 20+ hours). Should I list 10 hrs/week or try to make it more accurate to a normal week (7 hours/week).
For AMCAS you don’t need to enter hours/week. If you are applying through another application system, enter the average hours per week. If it is important to clarify, you can explain in the narrative that the range was, eg, 7-20 hours/week.

Hi - I volunteered as an EMT over a number of years, but at different locations in chunks (I've had another career for ten years and moved twice for jobs). I currently have a single W/A entry with the entire timespan accounted for, but there is only the one slot to list a contact and "organization." I don't want to use up additional entries, but in the interest of being as honest and accurate as possible I am not sure the best way to do this. I was originally going to use a contact from one of the firehouses, but now I am wondering if I should just pick a person who is familiar that I did all of the volunteering....I don't want to accidentally imply I volunteered the entire timespan at just one location when it will be apparent from the rest of my application that I have lived in different places. Any suggestions on how to do this?

Hi - I volunteered as an EMT over a number of years, but at different locations in chunks (I've had another career for ten years and moved twice for jobs). I currently have a single W/A entry with the entire timespan accounted for, but there is only the one slot to list a contact and "organization." I don't want to use up additional entries, but in the interest of being as honest and accurate as possible I am not sure the best way to do this. I was originally going to use a contact from one of the firehouses, but now I am wondering if I should just pick a person who is familiar that I did all of the volunteering....I don't want to accidentally imply I volunteered the entire timespan at just one location when it will be apparent from the rest of my application that I have lived in different places. Any suggestions on how to do this?
One entry is fine, using the Contact who can attest to the longevity of your involvement, and the most recent Organization information. In your narrative, rather than list every place you volunteered, each with its own Contact. give more of an overview as you have here, perhaps with a closing comment, like, "Additional specifics & Contacts available on request."

After volunteering for an organization for a few years, I was hired to do essentially the same job, but for pay.
  1. I am planning on separating these into two activities — one for Community Service/Volunteer - Non Medical/Clinical and one for Paid Employment - Non Medical/Clinical. Is this a good idea?
  2. Assuming I separate them, I was thinking of using the titles XYZ Program [Volunteer] and XYZ Program [Paid]. Is that a good idea?
  3. Is it okay for the description of the paid position to say something to the effect of, "After X years as a volunteer with the XYZ program (see “XYZ Program [Volunteer]” activity), I applied for an opening on the paid staff," and then expound about some of the additional duties I took on? Or should I repeat the description in case it is viewed before the volunteer position description?

After volunteering for an organization for a few years, I was hired to do essentially the same job, but for pay.
  1. I am planning on separating these into two activities — one for Community Service/Volunteer - Non Medical/Clinical and one for Paid Employment - Non Medical/Clinical. Is this a good idea?
  2. Assuming I separate them, I was thinking of using the titles XYZ Program [Volunteer] and XYZ Program [Paid]. Is that a good idea?
  3. Is it okay for the description of the paid position to say something to the effect of, "After X years as a volunteer with the XYZ program (see “XYZ Program [Volunteer]” activity), I applied for an opening on the paid staff," and then expound about some of the additional duties I took on? Or should I repeat the description in case it is viewed before the volunteer position description?
1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) Include the description of the former volunteer duties that are included in the paid role, though perhaps more succinctly. Don't waste characters referring a reader to another space if you need them for a better description.

1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) Include the description of the former volunteer duties that are included in the paid role, though perhaps more succinctly. Don't waste characters referring a reader to another space if you need them for a better description.
Thanks!

I am applying Md/Phd and I currently have two "research" slots filled using my two lab experiences. However I just graduated with my Master's and my PI has hired me for a full time position to continue my project. Should I include this in Paid employment or another research tab. I mostly want to include it because I can show what my plans are, but I am unsure if it is necessary. Thanks!

I am applying Md/Phd and I currently have two "research" slots filled using my two lab experiences. However I just graduated with my Master's and my PI has hired me for a full time position to continue my project. Should I include this in Paid employment or another research tab. I mostly want to include it because I can show what my plans are, but I am unsure if it is necessary. Thanks!
I suggest mentioning the future plan to be a paid employee at the end of the Research slot for the same lab. But if you have a great deal more to say about the paid position and plan to submit your med school application after you begin the job, then use Paid Employment as the tag.

Last edited:
I probably should have done this the very first day of May but I was exhausted from taking the MCAT on that day and wanted to take at least a whole week off; then my dad had a mini-stroke and things sort of got out of hand to which I figure the primaries didn't need too much other than the personal statement which I had felt comfortable with back in March and so I kind of procrastinated on it.

Got back into the game only to realize how important writing the W/A section is with the 700 character descriptions and the 1325 character meaningful activities short essay.

I have nine activities to put in:
  1. Clinical Volunteering - US
  2. Clinical Volunteering - China
  3. Nonclinical Volunteering - Online Tutor
  4. Shadowing - Ophthalmologist MD only
  5. Research - Biophysics/Ecology Research
  6. Publication - Frontiers
  7. Clinical Paid Work - EMT-B
  8. Awards - Dean's List + Scholarship (Fluff)
  9. Hobbies - Art
Questions:
  • Is there a correct way to write the activity description for the publication? awards?
  • Does anyone have any good examples of how to write a description for the section?
  • I only have one shadowing experience and so is it fine if I go into detail with that one experience? Is there anything that I need to note in the description for that activity?
Some Activity description examples for you, with thanks to member Nick Naylor:

Scroll down slightly to Activities. If necessary, click each activity name to see the expanded narrative.
http://mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=19291

For a shadowing description, see post #2 of this thread, item 10. Yes, it's fine to go into more detail, keeping in mind that adcomms know what shadowing entails.

Feel free to ask more questions.

Reactions: 1 users