Official: Drexel MSP 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jusawannabdoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
for accepted students.... feel free to find roommates ask questions etc

Members don't see this ad.

It would be nice to talk to some other upcoming drexel IMS students before orientation. Where is everyone living? I started a facebook group for the new class to help get us all talking. Hope to hear from some of you!

can u post a link for the group i cant find it..... im living in stiles

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey ashley and wannab, I'll be attending the IMS program coming this fall too! Still looking for a place to live...

Here's the facebook group for Drexel IMS (I'm already part of it):
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=81741188179

I also made a group for anyone who's doing a post-bac program at Drexel, not just IMS, so anyone you know who's in any of the IMS, MPS, DPMS, etc programs, invite them:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/edit.php?customize&gid=87983856159#/group.php?gid=87983856159

Hi, I'm just wondering for those who got into the MSP program for 09, what are your stats as I am about to send my application in? Thanks

Hey ashley and wannab, I'll be attending the IMS program coming this fall too! Still looking for a place to live...

Here's the facebook group for Drexel IMS (I'm already part of it):
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=81741188179

I also made a group for anyone who's doing a post-bac program at Drexel, not just IMS, so anyone you know who's in any of the IMS, MPS, DPMS, etc programs, invite them:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/edit.php?customize&gid=87983856159#/group.php?gid=87983856159

When did was your file completed and how did it take for the adcom to get back to you? My file has been complete for over a month now and still no word. :confused: This is to the IMS and DPMS programs.

hey i just got in...how do we go about finding a place. i'm like 70 percent sure i'll be going to this.

Stats: 22Q MCAT, 3.51 overall GPA, 3.23 Science GPA

Hi. I have my interview for the MSP program coming up. Any heads up on the interview? Are the questions intense? Do I need to prepare for it? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

This is gonna be a long one...sorry...

Drexel took a while to get back to me, but that was also because for some reason they had a lot of confusion over whether they had received all my materials. Once that happened, I think it was about a week or two before I had my phone interview, and then they sent me an acceptance about 2 1/2 weeks later. So I'm not sure what to tell you on that, although they might just be really busy now that they're at the end of their application cycle. Best of luck on that though.

In terms of the interview, I don't know if the MSP interview will be different than the IMS, but I would imagine they're probably similar. The important thing is that unlike a med school interview where they really are trying to trick you and make you think on your toes, throw you off, etc, all these programs are looking for is that you know what you're getting yourself into. So they're going to ask questions about your experiences in medicine, your thoughts about the current medical system, all that kind of stuff. They're not necessarily looking for a right or wrong answer, just that you've thought about being a doctor realistically and you're not just doing it because mom and dad want you to be a doctor.

Lastly, in terms of living: there are a bunch of options of course. I'm not sure where the MSP program is held, but if it's held at the center city campus, there is a grad dorm (stiles) a block away that's pretty convenient and comparable in price or a bit cheaper than anything else you're gonna find in center city. If you go out a little further, I've heard the Fairmount Art Museum area is decent. I also talked to a few people in the (IMS) program who live out by the queen city campus and take the shuttle from that campus to downtown. From what I've been told, a large percentage, at least of the IMS people, live in the dorm next to center city campus, with another 30% or so living away from campus usually in the Art Museum or Queen City areas. Disclaimer: I don't actually live in philly, never really been there, so this is all just from my research.

I'm surprised there aren't more posts considering this is the "official" drexel ims forum. Anyway, I am 95% sure I'll be attending come August. I was accepted at Tufts MBS and waitlisted at Georgetown SMP, but both of these programs of study require graduate courses on top of medical school courses. I'm about to graduate with a masters in anatomy from the USF College of Medicine, so I'm ready to tackle medical school courses, and only medical school courses. I'm excited to get started.

it began as the official msp thread dont know what happened.... its all good tho congrats to everyone accepted everywhere

Drexel MSP versus IMS programs?

I would appreciate if someone would please explain the difference between Drexel's IMS program and MSP program.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Drexel MSP versus IMS programs?

I would appreciate if someone would please explain the difference between Drexel's IMS program and MSP program.

Thanks.

Have you read their website yet? I assume anyone remotely interested in these programs would have.

Here, have a read. http://www.drexelmed.edu/Home/AcademicPrograms/ProfessionalStudiesintheHealthSciences/Programs.aspx

Sorry if you were looking for something more specific and did not mention it. All I know about the two programs can be found in the link above.

Who going into the msp program this fall....??? Will be looking forward in seeing you all in August

I finished MSP in may 2009 and have all of my books and other materials from the year. all of the books are used this upcoming year and i am willing to sell everything. PM me if anyone is interested.

Hey there.
I was accepted to the IMS program this month. I'm looking for a female roommate , hopefully for Stiles ?? Let me know if you are looking?

Can you post a link to the facebook group i cant find it either.
Congrats to everyone accepted, good luck to those still waiting =)

Hi! I just had a phone interview for the MSP program this morning, and I was wondering if there's anyone else (besides entheosman of course, congrats!) who also had this interview and was actually accepted, and do you have to go to the actual interview also?

And does anyone have any idea on the courses for the MSP program? I was accepted into Mississippi College and the courses look more attractive (physiology, anatomy, neurology, histology, pharmacology, etc), but I know that Drexel is more well-known to medical schools.... any advice?

Thank you!

Hey kieunhi0- I also just had an interview for the program. I found out that these were the courses an MSP student took this past year (I guess they will be the same this coming year):

The only thing that really doesn't appeal to me is having to take Gen Chem, Physics and Organic Chem again since I just took them in Undergrad...to my understanding if we get into the program we have no choice but to retake those classes along with everything else.

1st Semester
Gen Chem
Physics
Concepts in Biochemistry and Cell Biology (Grad level)
Pharmacology (Grad level)
Laboratory Techniques in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Community Dimensions in Medicine
MCAT Prep

2nd Semester
Organic Chem
Physics 2
Anatomy (Grad level)
Physiology (Grad level)
MCAT prep

I heard that MSP students get their books for free and the MCAT test fee is waived. Anyone know if this is true? Also anyone know how many students are in the Fall 2009 MSP class? or an idea.

Hey 1913BabyDoc,

I was wait listed as well for DPMS and I just put my app in for MSP on Friday the 26th. How long did it take for them to call you? Also, do you think if you do the MSP that you can apply to DPMS next year. Good luck with all your apps. :):xf:

MDLovinIT,
My DPMS app was forwarded to MSP on 6/11, and I called to ask some MSP questions and ended up scheduling my interview for 6/24. I was told I would hear a decision by 7/10, so I would give them a call, the people in the MSP/IMS office are very helpful. Good Luck!!!

Is there is a facebook group for 2009 MSP students???

Previous link did not work and my search in facebook didn't return anything.

Hey, Just waiting to have my phone interview for the MSP on 5/10, slightly anxious. Just wanted to ask if anyone could provide me with the kind of questions that will/might asked? Hoping to get in!!! :xf:

Just got accepted into the MSP!!!:D Had my interview 5/10 and got accepted 5/11! Im so happy! gudlck to all!

Hi Sejaa! Congratulations on your acceptance!!! I am currently prepping for my MSP interview coming up in a week...what were your interview questions like? Any advice would be helpful!

Hope to see you in the fall!

BTW: do you know where you are living yet?

Woops...I made a mistake on the interview time. If any of you saw my last post please disregard : )

Last edited:
I'm surprised there aren't more posts considering this is the "official" drexel ims forum. Anyway, I am 95% sure I'll be attending come August. I was accepted at Tufts MBS and waitlisted at Georgetown SMP, but both of these programs of study require graduate courses on top of medical school courses. I'm about to graduate with a masters in anatomy from the USF College of Medicine, so I'm ready to tackle medical school courses, and only medical school courses. I'm excited to get started.
Why not apply directly to medical school then? I am confused as to why you would need this program..

There hasn't been much action on this site but in case others are checking here and not posting, I thought I would list the MSP interview questions I encountered:

1. What other programs did you apply to?
2. Have you visited the east coast before?
3. Why do you want to go into medicine?
4. Describe your volunteer experiences.
5. Describe your extracurricular activities.
6. How would your peers describe you?
7. What makes you stand out as an applicant?
8. What do you find to be the biggest problem facing health care today?
9. Do you have any questions for me? (I asked about research opportunities and resources available for applying to medical school)

That is all I remember, hope it helps. Good luck to all!

p.s. I got in, but rejected their offer so there's one more space out there ;)

Hey guys. I just got accepted to the MSP program and will be attending this fall!. Are there any others looking for a roommate? I'm moving in from California and definitely would like to hook up with a couple or few people soon to get our "wolf pack" started! haha. So...if there is anyone interested in looking for potential roommates - let me know through a PM or request of email!