Official: Goucher 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pemulis

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd float it out there and see if anybody else on this board is heading there...

Members don't see this ad.

I've been waiting impatiently for days to see if I'd be able to post here. Just got the acceptance letter today! I guess I will be seeing you this June in Towson! :D

Congrats!!! :clap:

Psyched to meet a fellow classmate. And just as good, it saves me the embarrassment of having to bump my own thread.

I'm a little busy right now, but I'll PM you sometime soon so we can chat. Anybody else ready to join our little club?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying. Hope to see you in June. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

CutiePieMD said:
I'm trying. Hope to see you in June. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Good luck!! :)

AmyGW said:
Good luck!! :)
So Amy, how long was it from the time that you turned in your application until you got your letter???

CutiePieMD said:
So Amy, how long was it from the time that you turned in your application until you got your letter???

Umm... I turned in my application right around the time of Goucher's winter break... December 15-20th or so (don't remember the exact date). I got invited to interview in the middle of January. Interviewed Monday, Feb 7th and got my letter Thursday, Feb 17th - so all in all, I guess about 2 months, but I have a feeling it would have been shorter had I not turned in my app right before winter break.

Have you interviewed yet?

Hello All:

Scheduled to have an interview at the two above postbacs. I know some of you have been accepted already at Goucher, could you please all give me some advice on the EXACT interview quesitons they asked you.

Please also tell me who exactly interviewed you (name, rank and serial :), and if you remember their exact questions.

Can you remember much about the interview itself, and the day of. Anything memorable, such as visiting campus or did you sit in with classes? Were admissions particularly friendly or not really? Or were they out to get you/maim you?!

I'm presuming they asked med school type questions like:

why do you want to go to med school.
why goucher?
why have you now decided to go to med school ...
etc ...

but did they also ask you questions which are similar to job interview questions?, like:

Tell me about your weaknesses, strengths?
Tell me about how you've managed your time in a tough project deadline?
Tell me when you have had problem and have had to find a solution which involved others?
Tell me something you are particularly proud of?
Tell me of non academic achievements
If you could talk to a dead person only once, who would it be.
Tell me about someone you admire/your hero
If you had only 1 week to live what would you do (asides spending time with family/friends).

(And other non seemingly non-sensical questions?, or were these questions mainly of the med school type, i.e. why you want to go to med school etc).

Thanks for ALL the responses! REALLY appreciate it. Please no flaming, I am really worried/excited/nervous!

snorkelingdoc2b:

check your private messages.

I was planning to defer for a year just to make absoutely sure that this is what I wanted to do with my life. I figured it out in less time than I expected - why wait if you are sure? My interview was amazing - the administration, and the teachers were dedicated. The students were stressed, but I guess that is to be expected. Towson seemed utterly boring, and that is not such a bad thing - fewer distractions.

It is starting to hit me that I just committed the rest of my life to medicine, but the reverberations are waves of excitement. Maybe you can sympathize. See you in June!

Thank you everyone for your thankless perspectives and information. Because of you (and others on SDN), I feel like my decision has been made with full information. I don't know what I would have done without this forum.

:thumbup:

Awesome! Our little club grows to three!

Nice to meet you, Jason_O. Now, go check your PM box.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pemulis - This kid is totally going to think we are a couple of crazy attention-starved freaks. I definitely already PM'ed him, too.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Well Amy, maybe YOU'RE a crazy attention-starved freak.

Me, I'm simply a no-life loser who sits by my computer 24/7 waiting for people to respond to my thread.

Pemulis said:
Well Amy, maybe YOU'RE a crazy attention-starved freak.

Me, I'm simply a no-life loser who sits by my computer 24/7 waiting for people to respond to my thread.

Precisely ;)

I realize this is a bit of a cliché on this board, but I am trying to decide between going to Bryn Mawr and Goucher. I apologize if you are sick of seeing this comparison.

I don’t think there is a wrong answer, but I am trying to figure out which is the best fit. The programs are incredibly similar, though I think there are a couple of small differences:

Bryn Mawr:
1. Slight edge on reputation?
2. Better college amenities (the Gym, for example)
3. Nicer neighborhood

Goucher
1. More manageable class size (I prefer smaller classes)
2. Possibility for better teacher Recs?
3. Less expensive cost of living.

Both seem solid on volunteer opportunities and glide year possibilities. Both sets of advisors seem to be good.

The fact that Bryn Mawr has a curve while Goucher does not is a wildcard. Not sure what to make of it.

Again, I realize this comparison has been done a number of times, but I feel like most threads end in people choosing based on geography or saying it’s a push. I am still struggling with it….

If anyone wants to share their though process with me, I would appreciate it greatly. Pemulis - I know you have posted elsewhere about choosing Goucher over Bryn Mawr. Any chance I could pick your brain a bit on your choice?

Thanks very much! :)

Eurozo,

Check your private messages; I just sent you a long, rambling, stream of conciousness on the topic. While I'm at it though, I would actually rebut two of your points:

1. Bryn Mawr has a better reputation OVERALL as compared to Goucher, but for post-bac programs they are in the same league. Both programs are rated tops by the med schools, and that's what's important here. I'd really say they're dead even.

2. It's true that the Bryn Mawr campus is prettier, but I wasn't impressed with the gym there; the facilities at Goucher seemed better to me for that kind of thing. As a future Goucher student, I just really couldn't let that slander pass. :D

By the way, in case your a "cliffs notes" kind of person, I can sum up the message I sent you in one sentence: go where your gut tells you to go.

Thanks very much for the PMs. On the two points:

1. I have derived my impressions of school reputation almost entirely from a couple of students who are involved in medicine (but not postbac). Both of them know a lot more about Bryn Mawr than Goucher. Also, the fact that BM (hmm.. better not abbreviate that ...) links to Dartmouth (though I'm not really planning to head to Dartmouth...) gave me the impression that it had a slight edge. That said, I can safely say I have no idea how med schools view either program, and the school reputation statement is 70% hearsay and 30% conjecture.

2. I think I am down on Goucher's gym as a result of the strange hours for the weightroom. I got to Goucher early and checked it out, and it seemed that to be only open a few hours a day, with some of that reserved for undergrad varsity players. I didn't check the exact hours for the weight room at Bryn Mawr, but the guide there suggested that it was open over a large portion of the day. Maybe I'm missin' somethin' but that’s just my impression. But I agree that the cheap livin' around Baltimore would finance a gym membership without problems.

Thanks again for taking the time to PM me Pemulis and AmyGW. I really appreciate it.

Pemulis said:
Eurozo,

Check your private messages; I just sent you a long, rambling, stream of conciousness on the topic. While I'm at it though, I would actually rebut two of your points:

1. Bryn Mawr has a better reputation OVERALL as compared to Goucher, but for post-bac programs they are in the same league. Both programs are rated tops by the med schools, and that's what's important here. I'd really say they're dead even.

2. It's true that the Bryn Mawr campus is prettier, but I wasn't impressed with the gym there; the facilities at Goucher seemed better to me for that kind of thing. As a future Goucher student, I just really couldn't let that slander pass. :D

By the way, in case your a "cliffs notes" kind of person, I can sum up the message I sent you in one sentence: go where your gut tells you to go.

Good Lord, this program is expensive...EXPENSIVE!

Jason O said:
Good Lord, this program is expensive...EXPENSIVE!

LOL! :laugh: Noooooo kidding! I got my financial aid package today. Best I got was a paltry stafford loan. Looks like I'll be borrowing 38k. Oh well!

Maybe med schools will look at my indebtedness and say "Look at all those loans! Damn, this girl is poor - let's give her money!" Can't blame me for hoping, right? :oops:

Yep, got my aid package too. Well...better debt than regret.

Besides, someday we'll be doctors...probably just in time for them to socialize medicine, sticking us with 6-figure loans and sub-6 figure salaries.

Ever optimistically yours,
Pemulis

hi everyone,
congrats to pemulis, amy, and jason o! woo hoo!!! :)

sorry to sounds like a broken record...but i am having some difficulty deciding between Bryn Mawr and Goucher. I am leaning toward Goucher based on the uniquely small class size. Though the website and the campus visit helped to clarify a lot of questions, I still wish that Goucher had provided a program overview the same way that Bryn Mawr did. Luckily, I know someone who is currently a student at Goucher so I was able to get a lot of advice that way.

here are the pros and cons I came up with:

Goucher:
:D PROS: :D
1) smaller class size
2) great profs (and little change in faculty)
3) awesome TA next year
4) post-bac classes are exclusive to post-bacs

:eek: CONS: :eek:
1) one TA for all the courses
2) gym facilities are not that impressive; hours are not flexible
3) terrible library hours
4) Dulaney Valley Apts are not that safe
5) hard to get to Baltimore without a car
6) no calc in the program (there is biochem but non-credit and not free)
7) road of death to contend with (Dulaney Valley Road) ;p

-----------------------------------------------------

Bryn Mawr
:D PROS: :D
1) awesome director (organizes study breaks & seems genuinely warm)
2) can take calc and biochem at BM for FREE over the summer if enough students are interested
3) different TAs for different subjects and Peer led instructors
4) focus groups on diff. topics in medicine
5) more reasonable library hours
6) nice and safe town
7) easy access to public transportation
8) self-scheduled exams

:eek: CONS: :eek:
1) mixed in with undergrads
2) professors don't seem consistent
3) expensive town to live in
4) curve grading system (not really sure if this is a blessing or a boon, but it think it is the latter)

Did anyone get to check out the student apartments at Bryn Mawr?

Pemulis, Amy, and Jason O, what made you guys decide Goucher? I would appreciate your thoughts. :)

Also, are there are future, current or past BM post-bacs who decided BM over Goucher?

take care,
aspiringMD

Rachel,

Well first off, congrats on getting in to both programs. I think you've basically hit on a lot of the same things that I thought about when comparing the two programs. I was impressed with Goucher for it being smaller, more cohesive, and having a somewhat better cost of living. But the main reason I chose Goucher was just that my gut told me to. I visited both programs and certainly didn't see anything not to like about Bryn Mawr. But I just really liked the people I met at Goucher, and somehow pictured myself there more easily.

I know other people have said the same thing, but it can't be stressed enough: go where YOU feel more at home. Both programs are tops as far as achieving your goal of getting to med school in the shortest amount of time. You're not going to have any opportunities at one school that you wouldn't have at the other. But before getting to the goal-line, you are going to have to spend a very, very, intense year in one of these two places. So, which place do you think you will enjoy living and learning in for one year? Which one will you get more out of, and be happiest at? That's the place you should go.

Good luck, feel free to PM me with any questions, and let us know what you end up deciding.

P.S. If it's any help, I have found Liza Thompson to be absolutely, incredibly, friendly and helpful since I accepted my admission. I say this because you mentioned the program director at Bryn Mawr in your list of pros. I'd agree that Jodi Domsky did see like a terrific person, but from what I've seen so far, I would rank Liza right up there, too.

First of all, thanks for all the PMs. Everyone on this thread has been very helpful.

Couple of quick questions:

First, I am trying to compare cost and while Bryn Mawr sent me information on their insurance policy, I do not have corresponding info from Goucher. I assume Goucher offers their own policy and it is not included in the cost of attending. Anyone know the costs for this?

Second, Bryn Mawr provides some stats on where students have matriculated. Is there any info like that for Goucher?

Left out one question: Whats the best way to try and check apt prices in Towson. Craigslist didn't have much in the area. Any thoughts on this?

This is kind of the nitty gritty side of the comparison but I am just trying to compare on as many levels as possible. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

zo

First, I am trying to compare cost and while Bryn Mawr sent me information on their insurance policy, I do not have corresponding info from Goucher. I assume Goucher offers their own policy and it is not included in the cost of attending. Anyone know the costs for this?

Don't remember offhand, but I seem to remember it being reasonable. This is where I would suggest contacting Liza Thompson. She is really helpful about this sort of thing, and can give you a definitive answer, which I can't.

Second, Bryn Mawr provides some stats on where students have matriculated. Is there any info like that for Goucher?

I don't know about stats, but I do know that their placement is just as impressive as Bryn Mawr's. This year alone, for example, they got 7 people (out of about 30) into George Washington via their linkage. I know students from last year who got interviews at Duke, Hopkins, Pitt, Rochester, etc. (I'm assuming they got some acceptances there, too. I haven't spoken with these particular students since last fall). In the past, they have sent students to Harvard, Columbia, Yale, Stanford, NYU, UCSF, Dartmouth, Washington, and on and on. Basically, any prestigious medical school in the country has Goucher alumni at it. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'll say this again: as far as getting to medical school goes, THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GOUCHER AND BRYN MAWR. The differences lie in the experience you will have during the one year program on the way to medical school. Don't worry that if you go to one place or the other it's going to hurt your chances of getting into school x, because it's not.

Left out one question: Whats the best way to try and check apt prices in Towson. Craigslist didn't have much in the area. Any thoughts on this?

Most students live at Dulaney Valley Apartments, because they are right across the street from campus. From the students I've spoken with, the apartments there are fine in terms of comfort, safety, etc. I personally got a one bedroom there for $825--but, I'll be sharing this with my wife, so my actual rent is closer to $400 a month. If you are single, you can probably get a better deal by rooming with somebody--the school is going to be putting together an email list soon so people can find roomates.

Also, I think Amy said she found a better deal a bit further from campus; perhaps she can fill you in on the details.

Thanks for all the info Pemulis! Much appreciated. :)

Pemulis said:
Don't remember offhand, but I seem to remember it being reasonable. This is where I would suggest contacting Liza Thompson. She is really helpful about this sort of thing, and can give you a definitive answer, which I can't.

I don't know about stats, but I do know that their placement is just as impressive as Bryn Mawr's. This year alone, for example, they got 7 people (out of about 30) into George Washington via their linkage. I know students from last year who got interviews at Duke, Hopkins, Pitt, Rochester, etc. (I'm assuming they got some acceptances there, too. I haven't spoken with these particular students since last fall). In the past, they have sent students to Harvard, Columbia, Yale, Stanford, NYU, UCSF, Dartmouth, Washington, and on and on. Basically, any prestigious medical school in the country has Goucher alumni at it. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'll say this again: as far as getting to medical school goes, THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GOUCHER AND BRYN MAWR. The differences lie in the experience you will have during the one year program on the way to medical school. Don't worry that if you go to one place or the other it's going to hurt your chances of getting into school x, because it's not.

Most students live at Dulaney Valley Apartments, because they are right across the street from campus. From the students I've spoken with, the apartments there are fine in terms of comfort, safety, etc. I personally got a one bedroom there for $825--but, I'll be sharing this with my wife, so my actual rent is closer to $400 a month. If you are single, you can probably get a better deal by rooming with somebody--the school is going to be putting together an email list soon so people can find roomates.

Also, I think Amy said she found a better deal a bit further from campus; perhaps she can fill you in on the details.

Hi,
I actually stayed with friend (a current post-bac) who lives at the Dulaney Valley apartments. The apartment itself is really nice inside--very airy and spacious. And a lot of post-bacs do live there. I was very impressed until my friend started telling me her thoughts about the Dulaney Valley Apartments. Anyhow, this academic year, someone gotten held at gunpoint at 8pm right outside the apartments(!) Also, the area is not very well-lit at night. If you get an apartment further inside the development, this might be an issue. Unfortunately, if you live right by the main road (of death--a Goucher prof actually got run over on that road), you are subjected to the traffic noise. And there is no lock on the main door to all of the apartment buildings. And the walls are paper-thin. Though this may not hold true for all the apartments, my friend's apartment had a rat problem (luckily, I didn't see any when I was there). This year, they had not notified the residents in the building when they had to make repairs on the water system. And also, the heating had broken down in the winter.The management might be changing next year (not sure if this is a pro or con). However, you should all be aware that the area will be undergoing construction because they will be tearing down some apartments next academic year.

Yes, of course it is vital to bear in mind that any place that you live in will have some problems. But personally for me, all these factors combined has severely detracted from my initial postive impression of the apartments and I have decided to look elsewhere first.

If anyone is going to Goucher and is interested in sharing an apartment that is not in the Dulaney Valley Apartments, please PM (private message). Thanks! :)

take care,
aspiringMD

Pemulis said:

If anyone is going to Goucher and is interested in sharing an apartment that is not in the Dulaney Valley Apartments, please PM (private message).

Wait, does this mean you've decided on Goucher?

BTW, not to dispell what AspiringMD just wrote about Dulaney Valley, but I've spoken with at least five current and former students who live/lived there and are/were generally happy. I don't know if your friend just had bad luck or something, nor am I personally guaranteeing the quality of life there; I'm just offering a second opinion.

For anyone who is interested, there are a ton of apartment buildings in Towson that you can easily find on the internet. Try rent.com, rentnet.com, apartmentguide.com, apartments.com, etc. Just be wary about the locations. There are a lot of cheap places in Towson, but there are some not so nice areas as well. There have been a few rapes and muggings around Towson U., which is not to say that Towson isn't safe as a whole, but just be careful.

Personally, I'll probably end up at Dulaney Valley. I had originally said I wouldn't, but it's just so convenient. Also, you get free parking for however many people are on the lease... you just can't beat that. Most other places will give you one free spot and let you kinda just play it by ear if you have more than one car.

Also, on the issue of safety - yeah, it sucks that someone got mugged, and it's scary to think that it could happen again. But I am probably the smallest, most unintimidating little premed you'll ever see (standing proud at a scant 59 inches), and I'm not too concerned about it. It seems to have been a fairly isolated incident.

I'm sure that the building has its problems (but after what I just went through in my current apartment with a freakin wall caving in, I'm hoping I can handle them!! :) ), but I'm hoping that they won't severely hamper my experience at Goucher.

AspiringMD, if you want the names of some of the other buildings I looked at, let me know!

On a completely unrelated not - is anyone else starting to get nervous about how much money in loans they are going to have to take out for both this program and med school? I'm definitely kind of worried.

I also came across the mugging a few weeks back while searching for safety information online; I still think that I am going to end up at Dulaney Valley; $$ is running low, and I don't think that I can afford to live alone (nor do I want to). I'm open if anyone wants to tripple up. Do you know when they are going to send the class list out?

Do you know where most of the post-bacc students do their studying - in the library? are there any cafes in the vicinity? When are you all going to head out there?

And *yes*, the debt load for this venture is starting to scare me. It will be worth it in the end, we'll get through it together.

AmyGW said:
For anyone who is interested, there are a ton of apartment buildings in Towson that you can easily find on the internet. Try rent.com, rentnet.com, apartmentguide.com, apartments.com, etc. Just be wary about the locations. There are a lot of cheap places in Towson, but there are some not so nice areas as well. There have been a few rapes and muggings around Towson U., which is not to say that Towson isn't safe as a whole, but just be careful.

Personally, I'll probably end up at Dulaney Valley. I had originally said I wouldn't, but it's just so convenient. Also, you get free parking for however many people are on the lease... you just can't beat that. Most other places will give you one free spot and let you kinda just play it by ear if you have more than one car.

Also, on the issue of safety - yeah, it sucks that someone got mugged, and it's scary to think that it could happen again. But I am probably the smallest, most unintimidating little premed you'll ever see (standing proud at a scant 59 inches), and I'm not too concerned about it. It seems to have been a fairly isolated incident.

I'm sure that the building has its problems (but after what I just went through in my current apartment with a freakin wall caving in, I'm hoping I can handle them!! :) ), but I'm hoping that they won't severely hamper my experience at Goucher.

AspiringMD, if you want the names of some of the other buildings I looked at, let me know!

On a completely unrelated not - is anyone else starting to get nervous about how much money in loans they are going to have to take out for both this program and med school? I'm definitely kind of worried.

Yes, I am petrified. I already have almost 30k in loans from prior schooling. Add a year at Goucher, four years of med school, and a bare minimum three years on a resident's salary, and it all adds up to me eating Ramen noodles until I'm 60. Since pro and con lists seem to be in vogue on this thread, I'll compile my own:

Pros:
1. We'll get to do what we love in life
2. With the dollar plunging the way it is, it's entirely possible that our nation's currency will become worthless within our lifetimes. Hence, the loans won't be difficult to repay.
3. In the ensuing social chaos created by point 2, slipping over the border to Canada might become an attractive option. What loans, eh?

Cons:
1. As a hopeful future physician, I feel it my duty to inform everybody that a steady diet of Ramen noodles is very, very, unhealthy.
2. Points two and three above might, when viewed in the bigger picture, actually be construed by some as a con.

I suppose that leaves point one in the "pro" list. So I'll leave this off by citing two Churchill quotes. Partly because they're good and relevant, and partly so I can be the pretentious jerk who works Churchill quotes into his posts:

"It is a mistake to look too far ahead. Only one link of the chain of destiny can be handled at a time."

"When I look back on all these worries, I remember the story of the old man who said on his deathbed that he had had a lot of trouble in his life, most of which had never happened."

I just accepted at Goucher. I look forward to meeting you all in a couple of months. Thanks for all the help.

zo

eurozo said:
I just accepted at Goucher. I look forward to meeting you all in a couple of months. Thanks for all the help.

zo

Congrats! I'm glad you've decided to join us. I just sent you a PM by way of more formal introduction; feel free to write me anytime.

And then there were four...

Welcome aboard. welcome!

eurozo said:

zo

Got my physical and PPD for Goucher today... pretty damn exciting, huh? Haha :laugh:

Anyone know if Hep B immunization is generally required for med school? If so, I should probably start the series now while I still have insurance, huh?

Hep B is definitely required of health care workers in general, so you're gonna get it at some point. And frankly, it's just a good idea to have it from what I understand, since Hep B is a BAAAAAAD disease, and contagious enough that, even outside of a healthcare setting, you could conceivably contract it.

:D

Goucher for me too!

hugs,
rachel

Pemulis said:
Congrats! I'm glad you've decided to join us. I just sent you a PM by way of more formal introduction; feel free to write me anytime.

And then there were four...

i am ok with tripling up if you are (at a nicer apartment complex). when i visited, i got all the rental information for the apartments. There is actually a really nice apartment complex close by. It's a short walk away and a bit pricier than the Dulaney Valley Apartments but I have heard that it is worth the cost. There are 3 current post-bacs that live there now in a triple. It's got a gym inside, library where they serve tea and cookies every day, pool on the roof!!!, laundry in each apartment room, door security and it's gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! Eeks, I sound like a broker. Check your PM.

So, Amy and Eurozo, are either of you interested in sharing in a triple?

There is a B & N bookstore right by the Towson Towne Centre. And there is a Starbucks on Dulaney Valley Road, near the SuperFresh supermarket.

As for the debt issue, I am acclimating myself slowly by cutting holes in my pockets and dining on cardboard. :p Gah! It really is scary. But we'll just have to remind ourselves of the bigger picture.

take care,
rachel

Jason O said:
I also came across the mugging a few weeks back while searching for safety information online; I still think that I am going to end up at Dulaney Valley; $$ is running low, and I don't think that I can afford to live alone (nor do I want to). I'm open if anyone wants to tripple up. Do you know when they are going to send the class list out?

Do you know where most of the post-bacc students do their studying - in the library? are there any cafes in the vicinity? When are you all going to head out there?

And *yes*, the debt load for this venture is starting to scare me. It will be worth it in the end, we'll get through it together.

i'm also ok with doubling up. doubling up works out to be around $600 - 850/person depending on the size of the apartment (you can get either a loft or den with the double). Tripling up works out to be around $500 to $545 and $638 (again depending on the size. there are 2 sizes for the triples. I think the triples are the best idea. (By comparison, the Dulaney Valley triples work out to be $433/person but they are not as nice). So, for the extra $75, you get free washer and dryer INSIDE the apt. room itself and a fitness center and pool. It's like an awesome gym membership with laundry service (woo hoo! well, except we run the laundromat)!

c'mon, let's turn this apartment complex into the next popular post-bac neighborhood! :idea:

so, if anyone wants more info on this, private message me. and if you are interested, please private message me ASAP so I can start the application. I am tempted to just get the apartment now and then find roomies so that the apartment availability is guaranteed.

you also get a free parking space (i don't have a car so it's up for grabs). and also, there is a balcony. I just grabbed the brochure and here are the other things:
high speed internet access
huge windows
fitness center has those cardio theatre
outdoor putting green (which we won't have time to use)
courtyard

the only possible downside is that there is a income requirement. we basically have to prove a minimum yearly combined income. the amount depends on the apartment we get. it should't be too much of an issue if you are working a decent job now. Based on my current income,
roomates for a double: each must qualify at 2/3 of the monthly rent.
roomates for a triple: each must qualify at 50% of the monthly rent.
*i think what these means is that for example, if you are rooming in a triple, your salary has to be double that of the portion of the rent that you would be paying. i hope this makes sense
also, all applicants need to have good credit history and there is a $300 security deposit per apartment.

obviously, none of us will be working. at least i sure as heck won't. the apartment has current post-bacs there so i think we should be ok.

i'm going to call and find out more info. tomorrow.

take care,
rachel
:idea:

aspiringMD said:
i am ok with tripling up if you are (at a nicer apartment complex). when i visited, i got all the rental information for the apartments. There is actually a really nice apartment complex close by. It's a short walk away and a bit pricier than the Dulaney Valley Apartments but I have heard that it is worth the cost. There are 3 current post-bacs that live there now in a triple. It's got a gym inside, library where they serve tea and cookies every day, pool on the roof!!!, laundry in each apartment room, door security and it's gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! Eeks, I sound like a broker. Check your PM.

So, Amy and Eurozo, are either of you interested in sharing in a triple?

There is a B & N bookstore right by the Towson Towne Centre. And there is a Starbucks on Dulaney Valley Road, near the SuperFresh supermarket.

As for the debt issue, I am acclimating myself slowly by cutting holes in my pockets and dining on cardboard. :p Gah! It really is scary. But we'll just have to remind ourselves of the bigger picture.

take care,
rachel

Hey, when's everyone arriving in Towson? I'm moving in around May 25th or so. I was thinking that if anyone else is going to be there ahead of classes, we could all meet up for a beer or something; it probably won't be too easy to do stuff like that once classes start.

Anyone game?

ideally, i would like to arrive at around that time as well. as of yet, i have not found anyone interested in rooming with me. Eeks! So, perhaps you will see me camped out on the Goucher lawn. If am sleeping there, tread softly and try not to step on me!

I'm so excited about getting the class list. I wonder what our other classmates will be like.
:rolleyes:
take care,
rachel

Pemulis said:
Hey, when's everyone arriving in Towson? I'm moving in around May 25th or so. I was thinking that if anyone else is going to be there ahead of classes, we could all meet up for a beer or something; it probably won't be too easy to do stuff like that once classes start.

Anyone game?

I'll be there May 28 and I'm game for going out for a drink - as long as my beer can be a gin and tonic. :)

How did our thread get all the way down to page 4??

Anyway, got approved for my apartment today (move-in date - May 28). I'm starting to get pretty damn excited. How is everyone else doing?

Im a Goucher undergrad student living in the Dulaney Valley Apartment complex. If anyone has questions with the schoo, Towson in general, or the apartment complex, feel free to PM me.

I'm a Goucher postbac finishing up in a few weeks. I have a double at Dulaney Valley, and will be going home to California. I need to get rid of all my stuff!

Last year, I contacted a postbac who was leaving and got her apartment, full-size bed, desk, couch, etc. so neither of us really had to move. I have everything from a toaster to clothes hangers. Nothing fancy, this deal is for frugal folks. Anyone want to continue in the Lazy Mover's tradition? You can have my (half of the) apartment fully furnished!

PM me.

Oh, and another part of the deal is you have to pass this on next year (no profit!) to another incoming postbac to help them out in return. Thanks to those who replied.