Official: Harvard 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
jamesrd said:
I could bug the financial aid office, but I figure I'll pester you first. Anyone know what (if anything) you have to do to get your undergrad loans deferred while you're at HES? I looked on the SallieMae website (my loans are consolidated with them), and it appeared that it's automatically reported through some service by HES when you register for classes. And if that is the case, any idea when the deferment goes into effect (Sept. Oct. etc) if I register/pay on the 19th or whatever the earliest is?

Hey! Hows the job search?

Members don't see this ad.

I've put it on hiatus until next spring/summer. Nothing came of it, and I'm not about to start a new job right before starting the program, so I'll just do what I can to build up my resume by next spring to try again. How's your going?

biostatistics online--- did anyone take it last fall? i'm trying to load up on credits, and i was curious to see what people thought of this course. difficult/easy? useful/less? lots of scutwork or lots of theory? avg amount of time dedicated?

any insight is mucho appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
jamesrd said:
I've put it on hiatus until next spring/summer. Nothing came of it, and I'm not about to start a new job right before starting the program, so I'll just do what I can to build up my resume by next spring to try again. How's your going?

Things are great, school and work are blending nicely (for now). Most of the people I work with are in some phase of the med school or other professional school process so I'm right at home. At least others can share my pain!

I looked at the HES thread and it is quite informative and encouraging. There are quite a few knowledgeable and helpful people here. I would appreciate if anybody can advise me about following concerns.

I am a working fulltime in kinda mentally draining job(9-5) and want to join HES taking Physics I and Chem I this fall. Is it feasible for me to work till 5 every day and still make time to attend discussion sessions and labs? I am willing to work my but off. Do they schedule labs/discussions on Saturdays or Sundays? Are discussion sessions mandatory?

I also would like to meet personally/talk over phone with anybody already doing courses to find more info on how to succeed in them. Can anyone help me out.

Thanks a lot

Hey Welcome!

I'm also working full time at a local hospital while taking chem/physics in the Fall. However I have a more flexable schedule and the job is not so demanding. A majority of the people I work with are students in some phase of professional school/medical school process using this as a stepping stone.

I must say looking through old threads its not common for someone to work full time, but it has been done with proper time management. I would talk to one of the directors of HES and give them some background info and see what advice they offer. Owen Peterson is a great contact. You can look up his information on the HES website.

Discussion sessions vary I beleive and the syllabus on the physics website outlines what is required and when labs/discussions/help rooms are offered. Most are determined by student demand and accomadate someone like yourself and myself who work during the day.

medseek1 said:
I looked at the HES thread and it is quite informative and encouraging. There are quite a few knowledgeable and helpful people here. I would appreciate if anybody can advise me about following concerns.

I am a working fulltime in kinda mentally draining job(9-5) and want to join HES taking Physics I and Chem I this fall. Is it feasible for me to work till 5 every day and still make time to attend discussion sessions and labs? I am willing to work my but off. Do they schedule labs/discussions on Saturdays or Sundays? Are discussion sessions mandatory?

I also would like to meet personally/talk over phone with anybody already doing courses to find more info on how to succeed in them. Can anyone help me out.

Thanks a lot

Hey, thanks for everyones responses. I have another question regarding the success of the program. For the 90% of people who get into medical school (after receiving the sponsorship), how many of them*just* did the premed classes? What I'm really asking is it realistic for me to get into medical school (lets be optimistic and assume I also got sponsorship) with the HCP classes as my only experience w/the sciences? Or would it be wiser to expect this thing to run out 3 years to accomodate a few upper div science classes on top of the program? Thanks in advance.

That question is really splitting hairs given the amount of people who actually remain in class until the completion of the program and actually get sponsorship. I have no clue and I know thats not published data so your best bet, especially regarding your "chances" would be to contact Owen Peterson. His information is available on the HES website and is really proficient I'm told in helping students with their situation and giving great advice.

dcb154 said:
Hey, thanks for everyones responses. I have another question regarding the success of the program. For the 90% of people who get into medical school (after receiving the sponsorship), how many of them*just* did the premed classes? What I'm really asking is it realistic for me to get into medical school (lets be optimistic and assume I also got sponsorship) with the HCP classes as my only experience w/the sciences? Or would it be wiser to expect this thing to run out 3 years to accomodate a few upper div science classes on top of the program? Thanks in advance.

Sundarban1 said:
That question is really splitting hairs given the amount of people who actually remain in class until the completion of the program and actually get sponsorship. I have no clue and I know thats not published data so your best bet, especially regarding your "chances" would be to contact Owen Peterson. His information is available on the HES website and is really proficient I'm told in helping students with their situation and giving great advice.

Thanks for the reply, I will contact Owen Peterson on monday. But my question may be even more for post-bac programs in general...is it enough to have just taken the pre-med classes if you have no other science background? I'm not sure of your educational situation, but I was just curious if the pre-med list is just the starter and we should have a few upper-division science classes too, or does that really matter?

dcb154 said:
Thanks for the reply, I will contact Owen Peterson on monday. But my question may be even more for post-bac programs in general...is it enough to have just taken the pre-med classes if you have no other science background? I'm not sure of your educational situation, but I was just curious if the pre-med list is just the starter and we should have a few upper-division science classes too, or does that really matter?

Just taking the prereqs works fine for most. Just get all A's (or as close to a 4.0 as possible) and that will demonstrate your adequate ability in the sciences. Med schools will teach you all the upper level stuff they think you need (and a lot more).

Hi everyone

I just joined SDN. I'm sorry I'm asking dumb questions. Does anyone know how late you can apply for the HCP program (for Fall 2005)?

Thanks!

I believe they accept students year round so I don't think there is a deadline. There is no set limit of people that they accept into the program. The program is open enrollment so you don't need to apply to take classes. If you are interested in the HCP the only advantage is sponsorhip (providing you meet the requirements), which you don't receive if you just take classes on your own.

The best thing to do is call admissions and ask to speak with Owen Peterson.

Just A Nobody said:
Hi everyone

I just joined SDN. I'm sorry I'm asking dumb questions. Does anyone know how late you can apply for the HCP program (for Fall 2005)? Do they keep accepting applications until they are full? Does anyone know if they are full? I won't graduate till August 19th, and I wanted to wait until my official transcript was complete before applying. Will it be too late by then? Also, is taking classes through HES different from being in the HCP program? If they are different, does anyone know the deadline for applying to HES for Fall 2005?

Thank you all very much.
I really appreciate your help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which classes, you scared me for a second. All the pre-med classes are fine.

I'm assuming these are considered upper division. Has anyone taken these classes and does anyone have feedback?

Also, I may be gone for 2 weeks in early October and sporadically throughout the semester if interviews come my way. Does anyone know if that'll be manageable? Thanks.

Human Pathophysiology
Immunology I
Biology of Cancer
Human Physiology I
Intro to Clinical Research
Intro to Epidemiology

For anyone that has taken Physics last fall and spring--

Are the discussion and lab sections in the spring comparable to the fall? I am trying to plan my schedule for the fall and only the spring schedules are available......

Thanks

Has anyone tried to register for classes yet? I am trying to figure out how to do this- are you registering online or through the mail? And if online, how do you know your registration pin or ID number? Maybe I'll just send it through the mail...

Chem discussions sections are right before labs and listed on the syllabus. Physics discussion sessions are determined on the first day of lecture and yes they are flexable. Last year they were offered almost every day of the week.

FYI dont buy the chem lab manuel or Logans notes from the COOP for $50, they can be downloaded from the webiste (when its up and running) for FREE.

Alibi said:
Has anyone tried to register for classes yet? I am trying to figure out how to do this- are you registering online or through the mail? And if online, how do you know your registration pin or ID number? Maybe I'll just send it through the mail...

The earliest you can register is the 22nd if your not a degree or diploma candidate. Call if you're confused but there are instructions on the website.

bstone said:
I am curious as to what is suggested for preparing for HES orgo chem?

A shot of Yeger :confused:

Alibi said:

your id #- ssn number

your pin- a secret # then send you via e-mail.

After filling out the pre-registration page, they will ask if you forgot your pin #, click there...and in seconds one will be sent via e-mail..

Exigente
i

Anyone know about biochem? I am thinking about taking the class in the fall?

Thanks in advance.

With registration underway and less than a month before classes begin and oh too soon before our hair starts to turn grey and fall out, should we try to organize a formal get-together for incoming HES students?

Please respond if you're interested and lets make it happen!

:cool:

Word, I'm interested! :hardy:

Sundarban1 said:
With registration underway and less than a month before classes begin and oh too soon before our hair starts to turn grey and fall out, should we try to organize a formal get-together for incoming HES students?

Please respond if you're interested and lets make it happen!

:cool:

I'm interested!! When and Where? :)

I beleive the last class went to John Harvards in Harvard square. To keep with tradition, maybe we could meet there Friday the 16th, which is right before classes and gives people enough time. Hows that sound?

Sundarban1 said:
I beleive the last class went to John Harvards in Harvard square. To keep with tradition, maybe we could meet there Friday the 16th, which is right before classes and gives people enough time. Hows that sound?

Aww, shucks, I can't - gotta pick up my mom from the airport. She's visiting.

Can you guys do Thursday, the day before?

Hi,

I am considering applying for Harvard Med School; Harvard is my dream school due to the opportunities it offers its med students. But I notice that Harvard's preferences for its applicants don't match my background: Harvard seems to prefer applicants from private colleges and or elite public universities; I am going to a state college because even with scholarships and loans I still cannot afford an elite school. Harvard seems to prefer younger applicants; I'll be 45 or 46 when I apply, and maybe 47, if I do an MPH beforehand. My current GPA is about 3.5, but I'm just starting out. If I keep getting As, I should have a 3.8 by the time I apply. Another reason that I am here at this school is that I work with an international volunteer health agency, which is based in this area.

Hi everyone. This is an awesome discussion thread. I have learned so much and more importantly it has given me hope. Thank you to all who have contributed.

I am hoping someone could give me some advice on this issue: I understand that Neurobiology, Biostatistics, and Medical Detectives are offered by distance learning in the Fall. I am seriously thinking of taking those three online classes. This means I could stay here where I am in Philly and try my hand at this post-bacc approach without going full-bore financially and breaking the bank to relocate. I have all the desire in the world to be a physician, but right now I do not have the full confidence to know I would kick some ass in the program and not be part of the attrition statistic. (Afterall, my undergrad GPA in 2.86) This way, depending on how I do with these classes in the Fall, I could make a more wise decision to relocate in the Spring semester ('06). If I get three A's or B's, then hell yeah, I'm coming to Cambridge. But if I get three C's or lower, then I'll know not to go. What do you guys think? I am not worried about taking distance learning courses since I actually finished my bachelors at Iowa via distance learning.

prav said:
Aww, shucks, I can't - gotta pick up my mom from the airport. She's visiting.

Can you guys do Thursday, the day before?

Sure, no problem for me..speak up! Thursday September 15h good?

Sundarban1 said:
Sure, no problem for me..speak up! Thursday September 15h good?

works for me- count me in! and hey, has anyone gotten their books yet?

Alibi said:
works for me- count me in! and hey, has anyone gotten their books yet?

Great!

I have my physics book. I'm waiting to download the lab manual and logans notes from the chemistry website when its up and running ranther than pay $50 from the COOP. I'll see how much we actually use the book before I buy it.

Sundarban1 said:
Great!

I have my physics book. I'm waiting to download the lab manual and logans notes from the chemistry website when its up and running ranther than pay $50 from the COOP. I'll see how much we actually use the book before I buy it.

Haven't gotten my books yet, just waiting for loans and stuff to come in. However, did just select a huuuuuge 1 bedroom - with separate study room, so I can be a chem/physics studying power machine. Soon I'm about to pick up a cat.

Can't wait to meet y'all Thursday!

Where should I get books from (Chem I and Phys I)? Are they cheaper online?

aykna said:
Where should I get books from (Chem I and Phys I)? Are they cheaper online?

I got the physics book from ebay for like $60, which is half the price. I'm waiting to buy the chem book because I heard its not used as much. Otherwise you can get them from the Coop.

Sundarban1 said:
I got the physics book from ebay for like $60, which is half the price. I'm waiting to buy the chem book because I heard its not used as much. Otherwise you can get them from the Coop.

Thank you! I always forget about ebay.

Has anyone taken Neurobiology with Dr. Murphy-- what did you think? Any recommendations?

aykna said:
Thank you! I always forget about ebay.

I also bought the Physics book on half.com for around $60 (softcover, brandnew), theres no way I'm spending $130 on a textbook that will go out of edition in a year.

So I'm all about meeting up -- how many people are in?

BTW, are any of you interested in forming a physics study group -- I read Rueckner's "How to Suceed in This Course" and he mentions that an informal group would be the best way to excel in the class.

Looking forward to this year, and hopefully I'll be done with all those pre-reqs soon!

There are roughly 10 people in..go to the HES pre med meeting thread and add your name to the list if you want to join us after the information session Thursday!!

omniatlas said:
I also bought the Physics book on half.com for around $60 (softcover, brandnew), theres no way I'm spending $130 on a textbook that will go out of edition in a year.

So I'm all about meeting up -- how many people are in?

BTW, are any of you interested in forming a physics study group -- I read Rueckner's "How to Suceed in This Course" and he mentions that an informal group would be the best way to excel in the class.

Looking forward to this year, and hopefully I'll be done with all those pre-reqs soon!

All official pre-meds now that classes have started. How exciting!

Were you in Physics tonight? What'd you think?

prav said:
Were you in Physics tonight? What'd you think?

You have a PM, I'm trying to keep a low profile from all those popped collar pre-meds. If I give away my location I'm doomed :scared:

Rueckner goes on too many tangents that are boring in-between but interesting at the very end. Looks like I'm going to be fighting to stay awake during lecture this semester.

Jays2cool4u :cool:

jays2cool4u said:
Rueckner goes on too many tangents that are boring in-between but interesting at the very end. Looks like I'm going to be fighting to stay awake during lecture this semester.

Now you know why everyone brings in their computers to play around in class... :sleep:

jays2cool4u said:

Right?

I was surprised with the time constraints that he went into full story mode like 3 times!

Anyone else get that email that the handout for the tutor on Sunday charges fees and is not associated with the class?

Bring your Visa!

Biochem- was ok..she was going pretty fast..hope because it was a review..

Stats- best class so far..teacher was really interesting and class was animated..worked thru problems together

Orgo- didn't have yet..but man I printed out lecture handouts and it's like 40 pages:( Getting a little worried.. :scared: The lab manual was long and stars this weekend..

How is everyone else's classes?

Hey everyone. Sorry I've been away for a while (long bad story) and to have missed the get-together last Thursday. Nevertheless, I'm all enrolled n'stuff and in physics and chem.

My thoughts on the Physics lecture: True, he was in story mode, but I thought they were enjoyable generally, if a bit long winded. I did like the microcentury thing; that was a nice way to explain the concept.

I did find that having read some of the chapters first was helpful in bringing some perspective to the lecture. Since my previous undergrad experience, I rarely read anything before class. Here, I think it's crucial to do so.

I did get the e-mail on the tutoring handout. I wonder if that dude got reprimanded or something, but I don't know how they would.

On the popped collar front, there was one who sat behind me during lecture. Annoying little **** too. It's crowded in there and the seats are not comfortable; hopefully the crowd will start thinning.

I'll be around and look forward to study groups, more get togethers, etc.

I wasnt super pleased with the phys lecture. He hardly went over anything until the end and then lost me on those graphs. Not to mention, it wasnt very comforting when he actually did some calculations and several people pointed out he could have used the other formulas, that hed already ruled out, more readily. He seemed to be struggling for the words too. But im sure the exam will be plenty rigorous. Im a little worried because I have about 35hrs studying in this week between the two classes and in both cases I hit major roadblocks in the center of chapter 2. Plus Im lucky if i got through a third of the end chapter problems. Definitely not as well prepared as I shouldve been and now Im feeling behind considering after tonight its on to the next chapters.

I hate to even think it but maybe both at once is more than I can handle. I know I have til oct 3 to drop for full refund or oct 10 for half. Would that eliminate from HCP diploma candidacy if i should drop one?

btw Im not concerned about looking foolish or who I study with. How many of you are going to what turns out to be the tutor for hire sessions sunday? However he slipped that in there it worked flawlessly, Id call it an inside job.

Are you guys in Chem1 using Brown/Lemay 10th ed?

I'm at Umass taking Chem 1, but at Harvard taking Physiology 1 on Saturday mornings. If you're using the same text for Chem and are thinking about study group on Saturdays let me know!

Thanks,

Ock