OFFICIAL I sent out ZERO thank you letters and I still got in at...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mateodaspy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
several schools! where all did you fellow ungrateful (read: non-asskissing) applicants get accepted?

(note: the only one i'm really worried about not having written a letter for is columbia; i think they're really bitchy about that sort of thing...)

Members don't see this ad.

Forget thank-you letters, how about responding to my damn private messages!

bump.... are there seriously no other ungrateful ****s like myself trolling the board?

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't send any...
My interviewer at UTSW told me not to send him one. I thought that was pretty funny. After I got accepted he emailed me to congratulate me and invited me out to lunch.

Mateodaspy said:
bump.... are there seriously no other ungrateful ****s like myself trolling the board?

Yo, Mr. I-interviewed-at-every-top-10-school, you've got a PM from me.

Well I only wrote thank-yous to my interviewers at UT-Southwestern, but will probably write some to WashU. I don't think it makes much difference tho...cuz I got into UT-Houston with a terrible interview and no thank-yous. But yea, I'm less ungrateful than lazy. Southwestern actually gave the addresses of the interviewers. Like I'm going to look people up on my own?

MadameLULU said:
I didn't send any...
My interviewer at UTSW told me not to send him one. I thought that was pretty funny. After I got accepted he emailed me to congratulate me and invited me out to lunch.

I sent Thank-you cards only to people I really liked and the admissions secretaries.

ucsd no thank you and a november acceptance for me

Mateodaspy said:
several schools! where all did you fellow ungrateful (read: non-asskissing) applicants get accepted?

Thank you letters are nothing more than a form of respect in formal situations. Writing one doesn't mean that you kiss ass, rather, it just means that you posess a certain degree of class. But honestly, a good gpa and mcat score are far more important than a clever note. It is the rare case when a thank you letter is going to make or break you. Congrats on all your acceptances.

twicetenturns said:
Thank you letters are nothing more than a form of respect in formal situations. Writing one doesn't mean that you kiss ass, rather, it just means that you posess a certain degree of class. But honestly, a good gpa and mcat score are far more important than a clever note. It is the rare case when a thank you letter is going to make or break you. Congrats on all your acceptances.

I agree. There are posters on this board who constantly miss the point of thank you notes. It is NOT part of the application process and will generally have NO bearing on whether you get in. But you are going into a profession, and in profession interview settings (in terms of schools, jobs etc), people write thank you notes. It is common courtesy/etiquette/manners, not ass kissing. Live it -- learn it.

MadameLULU said:
I guess i dont have much class :rolleyes:

People who spend a significant amount of time in Houston generally don't. It's part of their charm. ;) :thumbup:

twicetenturns said:

Try getting a job with that additude.

Members don't see this ad :)
twicetenturns said:
People who spend a significant amount of time in Houston generally don't. It's part of their charm. ;) :thumbup:

Hey now! :oops:

twicetenturns said:
Writing one doesn't mean that you kiss ass, rather, it just means that you posess a certain degree of class.

yeah well i wore a "no fat chicks" t-shirt to most of my interviews so perhaps the classiness train has already left the station....

Hopkins asked for a thank you letter/card, as they gave the interviewees the contact info for that specific purpose.

GuyLaroche said:
Yo, Mr. I-interviewed-at-every-top-10-school, you've got a PM from me.

He obviously doesn't like writing notes! :rolleyes:

never sent a thank you card; never will

it should be them sending me the thank you's for spending a $hit load of time and money interviewing at these joints.

fu'ck that :thumbdown:

yeah no thank you email to WashU, but got in anyway. i'd sent thank you emails to interviewers at schools prior to WashU, but grew jaded of it. =P my washU interviewer sent me a handwritten card to congratulate me on my acceptance though, so i was guilt tripped into writing one back to him then. :)

four acceptances and no thank yous.

Thank you.

Slippery Pete said:

it should be them sending me the thank you's for spending a $hit load of time and money interviewing at these joints.

afu.ckingmen

Law2Doc said:
I agree. There are posters on this board who constantly miss the point of thank you notes. It is NOT part of the application process and will generally have NO bearing on whether you get in. But you are going into a profession, and in profession interview settings (in terms of schools, jobs etc), people write thank you notes. It is common courtesy/etiquette/manners, not ass kissing. Live it -- learn it.

We're dealing with pre-meds, not professionals. I assure you that most of the people that write these letters aren't doing it for the sake of professionalism -- whether it works or not, most of the pre-meds that write these letters are simply sycophantic pricks.

7 acceptances, 7 no-thank yous. Didn't even consider writing thank yous, because honestly, do i really want to go to a school that will reject me because i value my free time during the application process and dont write out a bunch of generic a$s kissing letters? Hmm ok sorry, had to get that out.

Brian

warrenb733 said:
7 acceptances, 7 no-thank yous. Didn't even consider writing thank yous, because honestly, do i really want to go to a school that will reject me because i value my free time during the application process and dont write out a bunch of generic a$s kissing letters? Hmm ok sorry, had to get that out.

Brian

Just let it out, Brian.

:love: ,
your fellow thank-you-letter-non-writer

your interviewer almost always send his/her comments into the adcom before receiving a thank you letter anyway, so it's not going to help your application.

as for me, i sent a few. as someone else on here, i only sent notes to interviewers i really liked who i kind of clicked with, people who i was actually thankful to for taking time out of their day to interview me and answer my questions. i had a few interviewers that pissed me off, seemed rushed through the whole thing and talked on the phone half the time. they definitely DID NOT get a thank you letter.

of my 3 acceptances so far, only one is a school where i sent a thank you to my interviewer.

5 acceptances, 0 thank you notes.

who's got time to write all these thank you notes?

who am i kidding? i'm just too lazy.

Slippery Pete said:

That's not how I would've said it, but I agree with your point.

interview mid july.....no official thank you note...acceptance mid aug. :thumbup:

I sent thank you notes to my interviewers at 4 of the 6 schools where I was accepted. I don't think that it has any major bearing on admission, but it's the polite thing to do.

i only sent thank-you's to my interviewers at pitt, and i got waitlisted. now i kind of regret writing them. :laugh:

I sent ZERO thank yous, got several acceptances, including one at Columbia.

Mateodaspy said:
I sent ZERO thank yous, got several acceptances, including one at Columbia.
my number also would have been zero had i never found SDN. unfortunately, for about a week, i was trapped in the "oh my god, everyone else is doing this?!? sh.t, i'd better get on it!" mania until i came to my senses. :D

if you are sending a thank you note because you believe it will help you get admitted, then is it really a thank you note?!

send one if you WANT to. if you are thankful for something.

i got accepted to stanford before sending in my thank you letters; but the reason for my sending them in was b.c i really enjoyed my interviews; they took time to really learn my app. At other places where i didnt get this feeling I didnt write a letter

The point of thank you notes is not to increase your chances of getting in. Your interview eval is probably long gone by the time they get your thank you note and they have more important things to worry about.

The reason you send them is out of PROFESSIONAL COURTESY. If you all don't understand that concept, you probably should rethink your career choice or grow up first. These interviewers take a lot of time from their schedules to meet with you, so the least you can do is to thank them for their time. There is no @$$ kissing about it!

SteelEyes said:
The point of thank you notes is not to increase your chances of getting in. Your interview eval is probably long gone by the time they get your thank you note and they have more important things to worry about.

The reason you send them is out of PROFESSIONAL COURTESY. If you all don't understand that concept, you probably should rethink your career choice or grow up first. These interviewers take a lot of time from their schedules to meet with you, so the least you can do is to thank them for their time. There is no @$$ kissing about it!

While I do agree that sending thank you letters does show a type of professional courtesy, at this crossroad in our educational "careers" it doesn't really matter. Most of the interviewers are REQUIRED to serve on some sort of committee as part of their faulty responsibilities. Don't at as if it all volunteer work... I'm sure many choose to serve on the admissions committee for the benefit of meeting other bright students and the future physicians (as cheesy as that may sound). Come on, serving on the admissions committee is probably better than serving on a committe for a new building or something.

SteelEyes said:

Hmm....I just did it because I really did appreciate the fact that these busy people took time out to participate in the admissions process and devote that time to examining me. I respect the dedication in performing this unrewarded work and appreciate it.

MadameLULU said:
While I do agree that sending thank you letters does show a type of professional courtesy, at this crossroad in our educational "careers" it doesn't really matter. Most of the interviewers are REQUIRED to serve on some sort of committee as part of their faulty responsibilities. Don't at as if it all volunteer work... I'm sure many choose to serve on the admissions committee for the benefit of meeting other bright students and the future physicians (as cheesy as that may sound). Come on, serving on the admissions committee is probably better than serving on a committe for a new building or something.

I have served on the adcom at my medical school and the interviewers ARE on a volunteer basis. I can't speak for other institutions but it seems fruitless to have people interviewing that dont' really want to do it.

SteelEyes said:
I have served on the adcom at my medical school and the interviewers ARE on a volunteer basis. I can't speak for other institutions but it seems fruitless to have people interviewing that dont' really want to do it.

I agree, but hey, it happens--at least that is what one of my interviewers told me

Was there ever any doubt that you would? I mean, come on. I can only speak for myself, but I only sent thank you letters to the schools at which I truly enjoyed interviewing. I never really believed it to be a factor in any final decisions.

NubianPrincess said:
Was there ever any doubt that you would? I mean, come on. I can only speak for myself, but I only sent thank you letters to the schools at which I truly enjoyed interviewing. I never really believed it to be a factor in any final decisions.

i think you'd be surprised at what some people think gives them a better shot at getting in....

Law2Doc said:
what part of professionalism involves sending thank you cards?

:confused:
TheProwler said:
what part of professionalism involves sending thank you cards?

Do you really have to ask? It's professional courtesy. It's respecting someone else's time and effort. It's just like if you consult another doc and you thank them and on the other side if you are consulting on someone you send the referral doc a letter stating what you did and most include something like, "Thank you for referring (pt) to me . . ."

If you really have to ask, you're not ready to know.

SteelEyes said:
If you really have to ask, you're not ready to know.
Not really, but that's a great condescending cop-out. My dad's customers don't send him a thank you card if he gives a free estimate for a job. Like it was said - you're PAYING for them to review your application. If someone goes out of their way to do you a favor, that's one thing, but this is all part of their job. When a doctor comes to my school as a guest speaker for our student org, we send thank you cards, but most people don't send their job interviewer a thank you, and I don't think med school is any different.

TheProwler said:
Not really, but that's a great condescending cop-out. My dad's customers don't send him a thank you card if he gives a free estimate for a job. Like it was said - you're PAYING for them to review your application. If someone goes out of their way to do you a favor, that's one thing, but this is all part of their job. When a doctor comes to my school as a guest speaker for our student org, we send thank you cards, but most people don't send their job interviewer a thank you, and I don't think med school is any different.

Interviewing docs don't see a dime! At least at my institution anyway. Where do you get your delusions? Your application money does not trickle down to the interviewing docs. They are not compensated at all for their time, with the exception of a possible free lunch.

And who says most people interviewing for a job don't send thank you's? Maybe not at macdonalds, but at real jobs I know they do.

What bothers me is this sense of entitlement you all seem to have. You are not the center of the universe and in this society people have a need to interact with each other and rely on one another. If you don't see that, then I fear for the future state of medicine and the world in general. Fortunately I know that at least right now you are in the minority and perhaps you may one day learn the values of courtesy, professionalism, and living in a society. If you want to be respected, you must show respect. That is what I meant by the "if you have to ask, you're not ready to know" statment.

SteelEyes said:
Fortunately I know that at least right now you are in the minority and perhaps you may one day learn the values of courtesy, professionalism, and living in a society. If you want to be respected, you must show respect. That is what I meant by the "if you have to ask, you're not ready to know" statment.
:rolleyes: Cry me a river. Showing respect would be showing up to your interview on time with a professional appearance and acting like a mature applicant. If I conducted a dozen interviews, I'd be getting annoyed if I got that many cutesy cards.

TheProwler said:
...most people don't send their job interviewer a thank you, and I don't think med school is any different.
I can assure you from experience interviewing people for jobs in another business setting that people seeking professional jobs do, in fact, send thank you notes to their interviewers. You don't have to like it or agree with it, but that is the accepted etiquette for profession-related interviews.

SteelEyes said:
Interviewing docs don't see a dime! At least at my institution anyway. Where do you get your delusions? Your application money does not trickle down to the interviewing docs. They are not compensated at all for their time, with the exception of a possible free lunch.

And who says most people interviewing for a job don't send thank you's? Maybe not at macdonalds, but at real jobs I know they do.

What bothers me is this sense of entitlement you all seem to have. You are not the center of the universe and in this society people have a need to interact with each other and rely on one another. If you don't see that, then I fear for the future state of medicine and the world in general. Fortunately I know that at least right now you are in the minority and perhaps you may one day learn the values of courtesy, professionalism, and living in a society. If you want to be respected, you must show respect. That is what I meant by the "if you have to ask, you're not ready to know" statment.

:thumbup: As said before your evaluation is sent in long before an interviewer recieves their note. Alongside showing up on time and wearing a suit thank you notes are simply part of the ritual. Anyone with experience in a professional setting knows the protocol.

Don't think that just because you are head honcho physician everyone will simply tow the line. A fairly prominent physician at my institution finally had to circulate a questionaire about his most offensive habbits to figure out how to make his staff happy. If your staff/nurses resent you, they will find little ways to make your professional life very unmanageable. Professional courtesy is about more than ass-kissing. It is about giving those around you the respect they are due.