*Official* "IM Interviews Offered" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AJM

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The purpose of this thread is to keep people in the loop as to which programs have started offering interviews for this year's application cycle.

Feel free to post any programs offering interviews that you know of!

*Edit*: this is not the time to stress about interviews. Any interview offers posted here between now and November 1st are considered very early. Most programs don't even review the applications until after November 1st. At this point, this thread is purely for folks' curiosity.

Members don't see this ad.

This is a "Don't Panic" message. The residency coordinator at my program isn't even planning on downloading applications for catagoricals until Oct 1st. (She is going to start downloading applications for transitionals in mid-September.) So, just because there is a thread already doesn't mean that it is already "too late!" for you to get an interview!

Okay, so I was shocked to check my email today and receive an interview invitation...esp since my LORs aren't even scanned in yet (my school is SUPER slow)...but I also applied to around 40 programs because I'm couples matching (spouse is doing EM).

1st one!! Carolinas Medical Center

Best of luck to everyone this season, hope to see you on the trail. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
hi -
rec'd email invite on 9/8 to interview at utsouthwestern...happens to be my medical school so i'm sure that was the reason for the early invite. fyi - interviews start 11/4; there are 9 interview dates and 50 interviewees per date.

Dartmouth started offering interviews.

generalIM said:
Dartmouth started offering interviews.

Which parts of your app have you submitted? I won't have most of my letters or my transcript until the end of the month,

Did they contact you by email or U.S. mail?

Fermi said:
Which parts of your app have you submitted? I won't have most of my letters or my transcript until the end of the month,

My application is complete except for the Dean's letter/MSPE.

The contacted me via Email.

VCU is offering interviews
They contacted me by Email

Larry Renal said:
ditto on VCU, add Drexel both via email.

Just curious - do they let you have your interview whenever you want during the interview season or do they only just offer you certain dates? I would imagine that the earlier you get asked, the more freedom you have to schedule it when you want it.

Fermi said:

Notified by Dartmouth via email. No transcripts or Dean's letter submitted yet.

got an interview invite (via email) from Drexel today....even before I've submitted ERAS! but then again, it is my school after all

Received an email invitation from UIC (Chicago) today.

No news from Dartmouth, although I only have my CAF and USMLE transcript in. Hopefully they will check again when more material comes in and invite me...

Members don't see this ad :)
pintsized said:
Just curious - do they let you have your interview whenever you want during the interview season or do they only just offer you certain dates? I would imagine that the earlier you get asked, the more freedom you have to schedule it when you want it.

So far in my very limited experience they have had dates available in every month (starting in November), but they warn the "fill up fast," right, like any program will say, "take your time, we never fill" (sorry, having a very cynical day today). So I do not think they restrict anything, but hey that is just my opinion, besides would you really want to go to a program that is so restrictive with interviewing, just imagine what working there must be like...

Heard from Strong Memorial saying that they do not start offering interviews until mid-october, but hey they may just not like me...

Hello,

I also got VCU today and I got Winthrop (Long Island). There are a variety of dates to choose from, you email your choices and they schedule you. I have gotten all three via email.

My school has not scanned my transcipts or LORs yet, so I just have CAF, PS, USMLE, and COMLEX scores.

:D

Yes, Michigan offered today: has 13 dates available for categorical medicine program.

Georgetown also offered via email yesterday (18 interview dates).

Interview offered yesterday from WVU

killabee said:
Interview offered yesterday from WVU

For those of you who got offers already, what info do you guys have available and uploaded? e.g. transcript, lors, etc

bunnieDoc said:
For those of you who got offers already, what info do you guys have available and uploaded? e.g. transcript, lors, etc

CAF and transcripts have been loaded so far, and 2/3 of LORs. Think it is up to the discretion of the programs whether or not to offer interviews based on a complete or incomplete application (i.e. LORs, MSPE/Dean's letter, etc.).

When did you mail your documents? My LORs are not showing yet! I'm hoping that is why nobody has called!! :(

Submitted my CAF on September 1, and already had 2 LORs scanned in (my school does it as soon as the Dean's ERAS office receives them). I wouldn't worry right now. It is still VERY EARLY - it just seems that some of the schools are on the ball right now and sending out invites on a rolling process. Probably beats having to sift through a couple thousand at once later in October, although I know that some schools operate like this.

Got an Emory invite today. Many available interview dates. I am at Emory so that may have been a factor.

Cincinnati's givin out med-peds interview slots

KU Med for IM categorical.

To all of you with interviews...
Could you guys also post your step 1 and 2 scores too!

Venom said:
To all of you with interviews...
Could you guys also post your step 1 and 2 scores too!

Last year there was an Interview Stats thread that had this kind of info and was pretty helpful. I'll bump it so you can take a look. Perhaps this year's group can add to it as well.

-BBB

I got an interview offer from Medical College of Georgia in Augusta, GA. The first interview date is Oct 31/Nov 1. Every Tues and Fri for about 5 or 6 weeks after that.

got an interview from UMDNJ-RWJ

Drexel's Categorical IM program has begun offering interviews. There are 11 dates available, beginning in November and ending in January.

Carolina's Medical Center, University of Florida, Wake Forest,and Medical College of Georgia

Got Robert Wood Johnson in Jersey, Temple in Philadephia, and SUNY Upstate in Syracuse, NY; all starting as early as the 2nd week of Nov!

Lahey Clinic and SUNY Upstate (my home program) yesterday.

Which Univ of FL program? Jacksonville, Gainesville? What is the first interview date?

All interviews and no rejections? :confused:

APACHE3 said:
All interviews and no rejections? :confused:

wright state, mount sinai miami beach, and hurley in Michigan rejections :(

:oops:

Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center interview via e-mail.

can you guys please post your stats?

InternalWhizzzz said:
can you guys please post your stats?
I am not sure this is the appropriate forum, but here you go...

For what it is worth, even though I do not think this is in anyway helpful, because let's face it on this message board everyone sounds like they are from Lake Wobegon...

Medical School: Bottom of the lot (not actually sure of the number, I just hate the administration so much I assume we have to be, because they have no idea what they are doing).

Step I: 253

Step II: Not taking till February

Clerkships: Honors in medicine, psychiatry, primary care, High Pass neuroscience, pediatrics, Pass OB-GYN

No AI (Sub-I, 4th year elective, what ever you want to call it)

Research in Undergrad, nothing in medical school

Letters from primarily local doctors with honorary faculty appointments (and of course the required chair's letter, which is funny because he has no idea who I am)

So there you have it, I hope it is helpful...

The more I read about other ppl's stats, the dumber I feel! :p

I know what you mean...Well, I'm as average as they come...step 1 217. US med school but most likely ranked bottom of the lot. Top 10 of class..no publications/research experience...nothing extraordinary in terms of extracurricular stuff. Good LORs but from "no-name" faculty. First interview offer at Dartmouth. Not sure if Dartmouth is liberal in giving out interviews...does anyone have experience with this program?

Anastacia23 said:
I know what you mean...Well, I'm as average as they come...step 1 217. US med school but most likely ranked bottom of the lot. Top 10 of class..no publications/research experience...nothing extraordinary in terms of extracurricular stuff. Good LORs but from "no-name" faculty. First interview offer at Dartmouth. Not sure if Dartmouth is liberal in giving out interviews...does anyone have experience with this program?

Top 10 is far from average, even at a "bottom of the lot" school, which I doubt (I know my medical school is ranked lower...ha, ha), I personally think all medical schools are the same, sure Harvard has a name, but really do they get some special issue of NEJM or special version of Harrison's? Sure it may open doors, but you got an interview at Dartmouth, so I would not worry...Ivy League is Ivy League; it is the person training not the location at which you train. As for Step I, it is a test, one day, a measure of your stamina, not your knowledge.

As a Program Director once told me, there are four categories of applicants. Class A which is like 4 people in the country, they already won a Nobel Prize and will get any residency they want (hell the residency is just a Formality) Class B which is 90% of applicants, only difference is some points on an exam, or a grade in a class; Class C: 8% same as class B only complete jackasses who because of their personality will never get in anywhere; Class D: born to be a lawyer.

Interviewing is all about the hook, something that sets you apart from the rest, because lets face it, we are all pretty much the same, despite our mommies and daddies telling us we are special. So find out what you do that is different from every other medical student and talk about that at your interview and you will be fine. Then again, I have no idea what I am talking about since I have not even interviewed, so you may just want to ignore this completely (probably should have put a disclaimer on this, oh well)

I kind-of agree with generalIM, although many programs will certainly use Step 1 heavily since it's the only truly objective uniform measure across all applicants at all schools. Yeah it's a test of stamina as much as knowledge, but it takes both to be a good intern.

My mommy says I'm special, but only 2 interviews in the bag so far - Carolinas Medical Center and Emory.

Edited: got Mayo Scottsdale today also.

Six Interviews so far:

University of South Florida, Tampa
University of Florida, Gainesville
Carolinas Medical Center
Wake Forest
St. Joseph, Ann Arbor, MI
Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, AZ

Mossjoh

Lankenau in Philly

University of AZ-Tucson today
Others: Maimonides in NY and WVU

Lehigh-Vally Hospital Program is offering interviews, contact by both Email and postal mail. No list of interview dates, you have to call to set-up. When I get around to doing that, I will post the available times...

Georgetown (Prelim). I'm not applying categorical so I don't know about that.