******Official Jan 2007 Score Release thread*******

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all of those who took the exam in January:

This is the official score release thread for the January 2006 MCAT. Feel free to post serious information and announcements about the impending score release. You can post your scores in here when the time comes as well. Post any random musings in the Official January 2006 Score Release Countdown Thread so that we can keep this one uncluttered.

Also, I will be starting two threads for you to post "what are my chances" in pre-allo and pre-osteo. Please use this thread as all other threads will be merged into the one thread.

This also serves as a warning to remind you guys fake threads stating "SCORES ARE UP" will give you an automatic post hold for one week.

Best of luck to everyone waiting! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I still haven't looked....I felt so horrible after the mcat..but worst case scenario is retake which i was planning on as a possibilty anyhow...all right..i'm going to try to look now.

i still haven't looked...i think i might ask my mom to look for me. i am such a wimp!!! those of you who did well...did you feel good after the mcat or like you'd just failed miserably?

Members don't see this ad :)
i still haven't looked...i think i might ask my mom to look for me. i am such a wimp!!! those of you who did well...did you feel good after the mcat or like you'd just failed miserably?
well, i didn't do stellar but i felt like i failed miserably. Ok this doesnt help.

Yup, I'm retaking, but just cuz of my what-the-hell-were-you-doing-for-two-years-obviously-studying-wasn't-one-of-them gpa and cuz my score's below all of my practice exams.
PS 11
VR 12
BS 12
35Q overall
Soooo...I'm not quite sure what I'm feelin right now, just wish I had done my best and didn't have to retake. I'd rather be studying for the MCAT than for my classes...unfortunately I'll have to balance 3 science classes and studying next quarter. May 11th exam, here I come...

Yup, I'm retaking, but just cuz of my what-the-hell-were-you-doing-for-two-years-obviously-studying-wasn't-one-of-them gpa and cuz my score's below all of my practice exams.
PS 11
VR 12
BS 12
35Q overall
Soooo...I'm not quite sure what I'm feelin right now, just wish I had done my best and didn't have to retake. I'd rather be studying for the MCAT than for my classes...unfortunately I'll have to balance 3 science classes and studying next quarter. May 11th exam, here I come...

hope thats a joke.

I felt like I nailed physical. I had no guess about my VR because of the glitch, but I generally had a negative feeling about it. The whole BS section is a bit hazy, but I remembered not liking some of the biology questions, which scared me because in pt's I usually got all the bio questions right and missed at least half of the ochem questions. I must have guessed well on ochem to end up with my score. I found that it was harder to predict scores for the real thing than it was for pt's. I was pleasantly surprised with my score. Just check and save yourself the agony!

PS 11
VR 12
BS 12
35Q overall

Dude, what are you talking about?? Your score is quite good; did you not see the percentile of your score? If it is your GPA that has problems, then correct it.

PS 11
VR 12
BS 12
35Q overall

You should definitely focus on your grades this semester instead of studying for a retake. Your MCAT won't keep you out of any school and you can still do something about your grades. At this point it is probably better to focus on your GPA than add a point or two to a 35.

no way, not with such a well balanced score
for me on the other hand

VR 8
PS 13
BS 10

i am lobsided and i still stink at verbal :(

Dont worry, u did great, I got a similar score in august (12ps 12bs 8 vr) have gotten 5 interviews (granted no acceptances yet, but hopefully in the near future) your good to go as long as the rest of your app is n order.

BTW all great job, having had waited 60 days twice (in april and again in august) i truly can sense the anxiety and feelings running through people's minds.

If you didnt do as planned, dont worry, work hard and itll turn out well ( I went from a 25 in april to a 32 in august, just took alot of time and effort, so its definitely possible)

Congrats all, at least you guys now know, although Im a bit jealous you gusy only had to wait a month :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

the 10 was in BS... not quite as good as i was reaching for, but i'm satisfied over all

Members don't see this ad :)
32q!!!!!

11 11 10

Hey, don't be copying my score now!

In all seriousness though: wow to those have posted their scores so far. I guess it shows that those of us obsessed enough to camp places like SDN are really hard-core about getting into med school...? :smuggrin:

If the med schools made serious attempts to find SDN members, I'm sure they can come up with a great applicant pool and people who are technologically literate.:)

Great job everyone!!

Well...34R (11/11/12) for me. Which is better than I had any right to expect!! I still can't get my hands to completely stop shaking! :D

Now, hopefully when I factor in my grades from paramedic school it'll get my GPA up to 3.0 and with that MCAT I SHOULD be able to get in to some of the schools I want!

Hey, don't be copying my score now!

In all seriousness though: wow to those have posted their scores so far. I guess it shows that those of us obsessed enough to camp places like SDN are really hard-core about getting into med school...? :smuggrin:

I was noticing that. AAMC says that my score puts me in the 90.6-93rd percentile. Now from the scores that everyone is posting, that seems far to high. I offer up three possible hypotheses:

1) We have some SERIOUS selection bias. SNDers are just too damn smart! :cool:
2) The people with poorer scores arn't nearly as excited about posting as the rest of us (and are possibly dealing with suicidal ideations :eek: )
3) The AAMC is full of...hot air :D

Personally I'm placing my money on number one, but number three does have some appeal after all the trouble they've been putting us through!

Guess this means I need to start working on essays...anyone wanna help?

Nate.

PS 11
VR 12
BS 12
35Q overall

Because we got the same exact score on every section I feel this qualifies me to give you some advice - What are you thinking with the retake?? Even with a few points higher on the MCAT it won't make up for your grades. Unless you think you can pull at 40+, retaking won't make any difference, plus if you let your classes slip in order to retake the test then you are worse off even if you increase your score. I know what you mean about not feeling like you did your best. I was happy with the 12 in PS, but felt like I am capable of a 14 in BS and at least a 12 in VR (I had the bad verbal passage so I'm sure that's part of why I only got an 11) but like you I have a tough semester (4 grad science classes even though I'm still an undergrad) and studying for the MCAT again would adversly affect my classes. Just remeber, a 35 is 95th percentile and that is nothing to be upset about. Focus on your classes because that, and not your MCAT score is you weak area. That being said, good luck with your application!

7 VS, 10 PS, 10 BS, R
27R in Aug 2006

9 VS, 9 PS, 12 BS, Q
30Q this time

i heard that some med schools look at your best scores. is this true? could that make my score a 31R, although I'm not too proud of that either?

Congrats to everyone! SDNners are definitely much brighter than the average med-school applicant as is shown by these scores... anyways, I am excited because here is the breakdown:

P - 13
V - 11
B - 13
Writing - Q

Overall: 37Q!

It is basically exactly what I was shooting for, as I am strong in both sciences and a bit weaker in verbal... it was a huge improvement (especially in verbal) over my first time taking it, which was back in august... the first time I took it I got a 31O (12 p, 8 v, 11 b)...

So word of advice for all you people who are thinking about retaking, if you feel you did significantly worse than what you should have (my first time I got a 31 when my practice tests were in mid-30s) and if you are serious about putting in the time and effort into studying a second time, taking it again even when you already have a good score (31 in my case) may not be a bad idea because it is possible to improve greatly!

I thought that I did terribly and had the mind-set that I would be retaking the exam. Do not worry!!! Try one number at a time left to right. Everything will be okay in the end. :luck:

7 VS, 10 PS, 10 BS, R
27R in Aug 2006

9 VS, 9 PS, 12 BS, Q
30Q this time

i heard that some med schools look at your best scores. is this true? could that make my score a 31R, although I'm not too proud of that either?

most look at your last score... so 30Q... it's rare that schools pull seperate scores out of different tests, but a couple do. They are exceptions, though

34R:
12 PS
9 V
13 BS

okay with the score...scored higher on practice tests, but I'm definitely not retaking...it's over!!!!:laugh:

13PS 9VR 12BS T - 34T

I'm pretty in different...wanted at least a 10 in VR...whatever...its good enough for U of Toronto.

Because we got the same exact score on every section I feel this qualifies me to give you some advice - What are you thinking with the retake?? Even with a few points higher on the MCAT it won't make up for your grades. Unless you think you can pull at 40+, retaking won't make any difference, plus if you let your classes slip in order to retake the test then you are worse off even if you increase your score. I know what you mean about not feeling like you did your best. I was happy with the 12 in PS, but felt like I am capable of a 14 in BS and at least a 12 in VR (I had the bad verbal passage so I'm sure that's part of why I only got an 11) but like you I have a tough semester (4 grad science classes even though I'm still an undergrad) and studying for the MCAT again would adversly affect my classes. Just remeber, a 35 is 95th percentile and that is nothing to be upset about. Focus on your classes because that, and not your MCAT score is you weak area. That being said, good luck with your application!
Speaking as someone who scored 40+ on the MCAT and went through the app process already, this advice is dead on with the exception of the bolded part. Contrary to popular SDN myth, a 40+ MCAT score will NOT make up for a poor GPA. neggie, don't retake the MCAT. Take some upper level classes, ace them, and bring up your GPA. Best of luck to you. :)

The first 2 hypotheses are proven fact. Most people who post their scores on SDN traditionally have been people who were higher scorers. I guess you can say its where the geeks and nerds like to come out and play. hahaha j/k. ;)

But in all seriousness, the first two hypotheses are facts. If you take a look at the actual statistical curves from the past and present of MCAT takers, there is a lot smaller percentage of the overall sample size of test takers that get those 33+ scores. But there is a higher probability of those people posting on this site. Everyone wants to share here because its more anonymous and they want to converse with people who are in the same boat of anxiety over the process as they are in and who can advise them better on their individual situations. Those who have lower scores are more likely to be discouraged from posting their scores on a public site such as this.

Secondly, even among top scorers or people getting at least the minimum to get in schools 27-28ish, there are several people who simply don't post on SDN. Many of the cases of past applicants that I use to support my advice are people who've never posted a days worth in their life on SDN even if they've read it on occasion. They will get addicted to sites like facebook and myspace or friendster but they have stayed away from posting on this site much less reading it in some cases. So the sample size at SDN forums is definitely a lot more skewed then the overall sample size of test takers and applicants.

You see...this is what I love about SDN. I can post something ridiculously geeky like that and get a response that's just as geeky and only partialy joking! I'm just waiting for someone to go through and start calculating satistics for SND MCATers! :p

Nate.

You see...this is what I love about SDN. I can post something ridiculously geeky like that and get a response that's just as geeky and only partialy joking! I'm just waiting for someone to go through and start calculating satistics for SND MCATers! :p

Nate.

What, you guys haven't already started calculating our stats? I thought I was behind!

31Q for me by the way, PS 11, BS 10, VR 10, WS Q. Completely satisfied.

Nate.
That's a good idea. We can make a poll and let people vote for their score. It's not scientific, but it will be easier.

I predict we will get a bell-shaped curve, but the mean will be about 35. ;)

Edit: Ok, here ya go: http://donors.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=375287 Vote away, folks. :)

PS 11 (89th percentile)
V 11 (94th percentile)
BS 10 (78th percentile) :(

Total: 32R

I'm a little dissapointed since I was counting on this to make my GPA at UC Davis (3.20) seem less weak. I only have two quarters of grades left to contribute to it (24 units). I also wanted to give letter writers something to be pleased by when they flipped through my record.

Should I retake the MCAT? The score is more or less consistent with my practice scores of 30-35 but verbal is lower (usually 12-13) and BS is lower too (usually 11-12). With such a balanced score, I'm afraid that one section may improve next time but another section will decrease.

Thoughts? How much have other 32 ppl improved? By how much? And which schools average scores?

Thanks in advance.

PS 11
V 11
BS 10

Total: 32R

I'm a little dissapointed since I was counting on this to make my GPA at UC Davis (3.20) seem less weak. I only have two quarters of grades left to contribute to it (24 units). I also wanted to give letter writers something to be pleased by when they flipped through my record.

Should I retake the MCAT? The score is more or less consistent with my practice scores of 30-35 but verbal is lower (usually 12-13) and BS is lower too (usually 11-12). With such a balanced score, I'm afraid that one section may improve next time but another section will decrease.

Thoughts? How much have other 32 ppl improved? By how much? And which schools average scores?

Thanks in advance.
No, don't retake. That's a solid, well balanced score. Spend your time and energy earning As next semester instead.

A lot of people that took a Kaplan course had the same problem. I think you should still apply to med school and try some DO schools as well. But, retake the MCAT in the spring or summer and this time study on your own with practice questions and practice tests.

11, 10, 10, 31O.
Im a little upset about bio and writing, I thought I could do a little better than that based on my practice scores. I am VERY satisfied, however, and WILL NOT be retaking! Congrats to all who posted such incredible scores!!!

10, 9, 11, 30O. Do you think this is worth retaking? I was averaging around 32-35 on practice tests... and am pretty dissapointed with the ps which was 2-3 points below my average.

Thanks!

it's ok.. i'll one up the downer.. 27R.. retake time i guess; have to do it all over in May.. i still have AAMC

Don't give up. I got into LSUNO this year with the same score. At least give it a try. And you can still retake it later.

Regarding the above quote: you do have a chance at state schools as well as osteo. schools.

I am guessing there are more 30+ with the CBT version than the paper one?

I am feeling really insecure seeing all of these high scores. It makes me want to retake the dang thing. Nice work people, seriously.

was scoring 32 to 34s on practices ... landing a big ole

PS 10 VR 9 BS 10 WS Q 29 Q
GPA 3.53 ... after this semester prob 3.6 ... i partied a lot fresh and soph years...

should i retake or what guys... im so dissapointed... a one point swing would have made me... instead I got the worse score in the book... you donno to retake or settle?

Guys, Im a 3.5 GPA who just got a 31O on the test. I must say that I am satisfied with everything but the WS, and I dont even think matters. I know that it is possible that I could've done better, but I'm not factoring that in.

You get what you get, and I think that's a fair representation. I know I'm not going to any top tier medical schools, but I also know that I will get in somehere. Don't fret about a score that doesn't compare to others on SDN, because frankly, if you care this much you're going to end up a doctor: no matter what youre ratings are.

And remember, once you are in medical school all those high/low GPAs and high/low MCAT scores mean absolutely nothing, zero, nada. It's all about learning medicine, taking the board exams, and making it through with your humanity still intact. Everyone is back on the same level with a fresh record.

Hurray for clean slates! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I also don't know whether or not to re-take, or just apply early:

8 PS, 11 V, 10 BS= 29O

3.63 GPA

1 year of Americorps and 2 years of psychiatry research w/ some publications (I hope!)

To retake or no? The biggest issue is that I'm trying to coordinate med school w/ my SO (who's stats are amazing). I know I can probably get in somewhere- but I don't want him to settle for a lesser school b/c of my bad score.

ugh.

*sighs*

11 PS (WHAT? This was my weak area, topping out at an 8 in practice :thumbup: )
7 VR (What? This was my best area - stupid verbal glitch with it's dumb robo tuna and birds)
9 BS (Meh, it is what it is)

27P overall... shades of gray is all I see. I'm retaking, here's hoping I don't get mismatched passages the second time around. :scared:

10p 11 11, 32M Praise the LORD Prov 3:5

Completely satisfied and relieved that I don't have to scramble to find another testing center in Texas!

Improved from a 7p 10v 6b, 23N in August 2005, although I didn't really study the first time

Don't get down if you didn't do well this time, you can always improve