Yeah that's why it's confusing to me as to figuring out what they are lol. They seem like private, physician owned practices or groups. They have a CEO, COO, CFO, etc., so they maybe some investors or group owns them??? lol
The ones I was interested in look like any medium PCP group with multiple location, but they also have optometry, dentistry, and even do aesthetic medicine like botox, lip filler, weight loss etc. Which doesn't seem very "FQHC is for the underserved population" to me lol.
From what I gathered from the FM/IM world, these places are for people that truly went into healthcare to help people. They left or turned down jobs offering significantly more income, to help the underserved. I like that idea and would very much be interested in this at some point, but I think as a new grad, I need to use this time to learn coding, billing, surgery without the backup of an attending, etc. All the normal stuff.
It does seem like a good gig for when you're older (aka loans paid off and ABFAS certified) and wanting to slow down and help people in the community that would otherwise get left behind.