***Official MSUCOM Class of 2010***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not sure if youguys know this information. But I was wondering if MSU is still doing acceptances. I have a student waiting and wondering and has not heard a thing from MSU. Can anyone give me the heads up?

Members don't see this ad.

Coach2009 said:
Hi Family.

Congrats and welcome to MSUCOM. I am a proud member of the class of 2009 and wanted to offer all of you my opinions, knowledge, assistance, etc. for any questions or concerns that you may have as you begin your transition into medical school. Need help with housing? Have questions about orientation? Want to know about classes? Nothing is taboo. I will answer any and all to the best of my abilities. I look forward to meeting all of you at orientation. Oh, and my advice to ALL of you is simple..... enjoy the rest of your summer as much as possible. Have fun. Travel. Visit relatives. The last thing you want to do is spend your time worrying about Gross Anatomy. You've made it this far, so you'll be fine.

Hi Coach,

thank you very much for the offer and your warm welcome :)
I just recieved an email from fin aid regarding my 06-07 aid and I am a little confused. On efinaid for 06-07 it showes fall and spring as 2 separate amounts and I guess I don't have any aid/loans for summer. But when you look at finaid spread sheet with costs for tuition, housing etc, fall/sping are combined and summer is a separate semester. I guess my question is whether my summer finaid will show later or may be the fall/spring aid that I have on my account is all I get for 06-07 year? :confused:

Thanks again,

nanya

check to see your status for the 05-06 academic year on stuinfo. The summer portion of our year is considered to be part of the previous academic year.

Members don't see this ad :)
judgehopkins said:
check to see your status for the 05-06 academic year on stuinfo. The summer portion of our year is considered to be part of the previous academic year.

but we are going to have classes next summer 07, which is still 06-07 aid year. my question is do we get aid for next summer or it's included in fall/spring 06-07 package?

nanya

nanya said:
but we are going to have classes next summer 07, which is still 06-07 aid year. my question is do we get aid for next summer or it's included in fall/spring 06-07 package?

nanya

just called fin aid, turns out we have to apply for summer 06-07 aid separately some time in january.
I feel like I am talking to myself :p

nanya

Nanya- u arent talking to yourself. I saw ur post and was going to reply before u answered :) How are u? Ready for school yet?

Dr.BBasket said:
Nanya- u arent talking to yourself. I saw ur post and was going to reply before u answered :) How are u? Ready for school yet?

Hi Dr.BBasket,

I was joking about talking to myslef but still thanks for replying. To be honest I am not at all ready for school yet, I am a little ( A LOT) scared/worried, so I try not to think about it yet, there is still over a month left :). What about you? are you ready? :)

nanya

LOL! I didnt know Nanya. Its really quiet on our thread a lot, so I was just letting you know I was here :) I think I am more excited about moving from Indianapolis than actually taking classes, you know? I am so ready to come back to Michigan :D

I am assuming everyone got an email on waiver exams for biochem and genetics. I guess my question is to 2nd year students: is it worth taking one/both exams if you think you can pass it or would you be better off taking those classes since they might prepare you better for step 1? :confused: I am really tempted to take an exam but I would rather take the class if it means that I will better remember/know my stuff for step 1...please help. :)

thanks in advance,

nanya

nanya said:
I am assuming everyone got an email on waiver exams for biochem and genetics. I guess my question is to 2nd year students: is it worth taking one/both exams if you think you can pass it or would you be better off taking those classes since they might prepare you better for step 1? :confused: I am really tempted to take an exam but I would rather take the class if it means that I will better remember/know my stuff for step 1...please help. :)

thanks in advance,

nanya

I think it's pretty hard to pass the waiver exams... I wasn't strong in either Genetics (did take in ugrad) or Biochem (never took), so I didn't take them. Hopefully someone who did try them can give you more info, but I wouldn't take them unless you're very experienced in those classes.

lata,
raDiOnut
MSUCOM OMS-1

I was just poking around the pre-DO forum and all I can do is thank God that I don't have to reapply through AACOMAS again. I just remember what a horrific nightmare that entire exercise was. especially considering that I did it two years in a row. And then thinking about all of the money that I threw at applying over the last two years makes me sick. I think I probably spent 3,000 dollars in total applying to medschool over two admission cycles.

have good hollidays!

The decker

For current MSUCOM students...
Question: Are all the lectures recorded? Are they videotaped or just audio?

Dr.BBasket said:
For current MSUCOM students...
Question: Are all the lectures recorded? Are they videotaped or just audio?

good question...anyone? :idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
nanya said:
good question...anyone? :idea:

Nearly all first year lectures are recorded using Camtasia -- the instructor uses a tablet pc to project to the overhead (usually using powerpoint), and the audio and the overhead projections with notes are recorded into a file -- so essentially you have audio and video. The only thing you don't get is to actually see the instructor.

OMM lectures aren't recorded, but that's one of the very few exceptions for first yr classes. Camtasia is awesome and I use it almost daily to review lectures or to listen to ones I skipped.

lata, raDiOnut

raDiOnut said:
Nearly all first year lectures are recorded using Camtasia -- the instructor uses a tablet pc to project to the overhead (usually using powerpoint), and the audio and the overhead projections with notes are recorded into a file -- so essentially you have audio and video. The only thing you don't get is to actually see the instructor.

OMM lectures aren't recorded, but that's one of the very few exceptions for first yr classes. Camtasia is awesome and I use it almost daily to review lectures or to listen to ones I skipped.

lata, raDiOnut
thanks for the reply :D

does anyone know msucom 2006 match results? or how to find that info?

thanks,

nanya

nanya said:
does anyone know msucom 2006 match results? or how to find that info?

thanks,

nanya

I actually have seen that match list, but now I can't remember where. I think it was actually emailed to me at one point, but maybe I deleted the message by mistake. I remember seeing lots and lots of family practice and internal med, but there was also some other stuff. Actually, if anyone has a link to this list, I woulldnt mid looking at it again either.

If anyone is interested, DrBBasket and I will be attending this weeks presentation from the summer circle theater presented by the MSU department of theater. The summer circle theater is a three week series of plays put on by the department. we will be attending the saturday showing (June 10). the shows are put on outside of the Auditorium, across from ernst bessey hall on Farm Lane. the plays begin at 8:00 p.m.

the website for the summer circle theater is www.summercircle.org

hope to see you there

Jon

judgehopkins said:
If anyone is interested, DrBBasket and I will be attending this weeks presentation from the summer circle theater presented by the MSU department of theater. The summer circle theater is a three week series of plays put on by the department. we will be attending the saturday showing (June 10). the shows are put on outside of the Auditorium, across from ernst bessey hall on Farm Lane. the plays begin at 8:00 p.m.

the website for the summer circle theater is www.summercircle.org

hope to see you there

Jon
:D :D :D

Id love to go! Its a great excuse for me to stop work early, and from what I hear the weather will be great! Oh, this is completly off topic but one of the 2nd year (heading into 3rd) Human medicine people told me something odd. She said we were all going to get an email about cafeine and how long it will take for it to kill us... She seemed pretty confident that Id quit immeadiatly... Anyway cafeine has been my most loyal of study partners is there something I'm missing? I do not recall hearing anything that bad about it in biochem...

Greetings from the CHM forum. I noticed this thread from the SDN Forums main page and I thought I would link some useful info to you guys and gals. I'm from Cali, but I spent last weekend pretty much assessing all my options in East Lansing (e.g. housing, banks, etc...). I provided this info to the CHMers in our Official Class of 2010 Thread on the Allo side.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=3766127&postcount=13

I hope this may be of use to some of you. I was also hoping you all could add to this if you have any info that I may not be aware. I did not look through your entire thread, so I really don't know whether or not you all had a in-depth discussion of the housing options. There is my contribution to these forums. See you around MSU's hallways! Also, don't hesitate with questions or comments. If I have some misconceptions about certain properties or banks, holla at me because these were my opinions.

Alvin

PM me if you are interested in going to the play saturday so that we can arrange a place to meet at for food.

Also, unfortunately, DrBBasket will not be able to join us

Jon

ChaldoAl said:
Greetings from the CHM forum. I noticed this thread from the SDN Forums main page and I thought I would link some useful info to you guys and gals. I'm from Cali, but I spent last weekend pretty much assessing all my options in East Lansing (e.g. housing, banks, etc...). I provided this info to the CHMers in our Official Class of 2010 Thread on the Allo side.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=3766127&postcount=13

I hope this may be of use to some of you. I was also hoping you all could add to this if you have any info that I may not be aware. I did not look through your entire thread, so I really don't know whether or not you all had a in-depth discussion of the housing options. There is my contribution to these forums. See you around MSU's hallways! Also, don't hesitate with questions or comments. If I have some misconceptions about certain properties or banks, holla at me because these were my opinions.

Alvin

Thanks for the info! I have an appointment on Sunday. It seems like a very nice place (Club at Chandler Crossing). They have a complex specifically for graduate law, med, etc...students. Unfortunately for the summer I will be most likely staying in Owen graduate housing. See you guys in a couple of weeks

Hey- I am moving to East Lansing tomorrow :) Anyone else there....or on your way early? ~B

Dr.BBasket said:
Hey- I am moving to East Lansing tomorrow :) Anyone else there....or on your way early? ~B

See you in two weeks.

doctorjoy said:
Not sure if youguys know this information. But I was wondering if MSU is still doing acceptances. I have a student waiting and wondering and has not heard a thing from MSU. Can anyone give me the heads up?

Sorry to bring this back, but I noticed no one had answered this post. I know for a fact that they were still spots open last week, as I know someone who got in last Friday off the waitlist.

Oh, and hello to all my future classmates.

I just signed the lease over at the club at chandler's crossing. I move in June 27th, anybody else moving there?

Dave

it's getting close...we are soon to be MS1

just freaking out...that's all. :oops:

nanya

lol! Nanya, I am here in East Lansing in denial. Just chillin and not thinking about the upcoming weeks! But I feel your nervousness and I will join you in it--on July 5th, and hopefully not a moment before :)

does anyone have a good schedule of the dates of importance? I know we start on the 5th.. that's about it though. Dont know when that class ends, fall starts, etc.

There's no schedule for this coming fall lying around, is there? I looked on the COM website and didn't see one, but I was wondering if I had missed it. My family is planning on taking a trip during my winter break, and I need to figure out flight reservations ASAP. Let me know if you guys have seen anything. Thanks.

suds945 said:
There's no schedule for this coming fall lying around, is there? I looked on the COM website and didn't see one, but I was wondering if I had missed it. My family is planning on taking a trip during my winter break, and I need to figure out flight reservations ASAP. Let me know if you guys have seen anything. Thanks.

On the Academic Programs site there is a link to "Key Dates" on the far left corner. Click that and it gives some key dates. Also, you can get an approximation of dates based on last year's schedule. It's always tricky to try to get dates for breaks from MSUCOM - I had problems with that trying to plan a wedding over a year in advance.

hope you guys are enjoying your last weeks off

raDiOnut

seven days until the orientation...

then seven more until the S**t hits the fan!

glad to see some other people are freaking about how close orientation is. where did the time go? i have had three weeks off since i quit my job but it feels like it has been only a week! so, i feel like there are things i should be doing to get ready but.... i am basically enjoying the time at the beach and playing tennis. any one doing anything exciting?

also, where is everyone living?

i live in Berrytree.

please people- DENIAL is clearly the key to happiness! dont focus on the doom coming, just enjoy the sunshine (minus these darn clouds this morn) and play outside...la la la. :laugh: :D

Also living at Berrytree for the summer, and possibly for the next academic year as well (meeting potential CHM roommate tomorrow for lunch). Moving into sublet this Saturday, then home for a day, then back to EL for good on Monday.

As for what I'm doing now...working out and reading...a lot. But don't worry, the reading is completely unrelated to med school ;)

Looking forward to meeting you guys soon...peace.

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Electrical Engineering/Bioengineering, Class of 2006

The Miami Heat can go **** themselves.

Dr.BBasket said:
i live in Berrytree.

please people- DENIAL is clearly the key to happiness! dont focus on the doom coming, just enjoy the sunshine (minus these darn clouds this morn) and play outside...la la la. :laugh: :D

I am glad we have people like you in our class... :) to balance out all the freaking out that some of us are/will be doing... :D

nanya said:
I am glad we have people like you in our class... :) to balance out all the freaking out that some of us are/will be doing... :D

i second that. i think we are all freakin' out. i at least have some comfort in knowing that a couple of my friends are also starting at COM this year. yay! however, we don't all get the same emails. we forward every one we get to each other so we don't miss out on anything. i never got the one about biosketch. anyone else having the same problem?

i look forward to meeting everyone, too! it's sooner than we know ;)

doctorjoy said:

I came off the waitlist at MCW just yesterday and today I called MSUCOM to decline my spot. So, there is at least one spot open as of now. Someone is going is to receive some very good news soon :)

nanya said:

I freak out...sometimes, but I strive to keep it to the ultimate min. because seriously, i dont retain info when I am stressing. And I am sure as heck not going to stress before I have my first lecture, LOL.

remember, clouds and sunshine, la la la. my freedon isnt gone yet!

Yeah I told myself that I would start getting ready for orientation a week early ... in reality I have watched soccer all day and gone out every night since last tuesday. Denial is the ****.

Madhanit said:
Yeah I told myself that I would start getting ready for orientation a week early ... in reality I have watched soccer all day and gone out every night since last tuesday. Denial is the ****.

are we supposed to be getting ready for orientation? :(
if so then how...
did people get the email about how we need to dress comfy? and how we are going to be crossing dirt roads...hmm..I don't do that.. :rolleyes:

:p

nanya said:
if so then how...
did people get the email about how we need to dress comfy? and how we are going to be crossing dirt roads...hmm..I don't do that.. :rolleyes:

yeah, how exactly do we get ready? i move on sunday and i told myself two weeks ago that i was going to start packing. has it happened? i think not. haha. oh well. i do everything better at the last minute. but i am going today to get my picture taken and see the place i am livin'.

yeah, i got the email about wearing comfy clothes but i don't remember anything about crossing dirt roads. haha.

hey- i am here on campus already and there is construction going on, that consists of yeah- dirt roads.
nanya- i will co-sign on your comment about not doing dirt roads. but i will just wear some sturdy sandals.

i loving all the conversation going on the thread. it was hella quiet before!
sunshine and clouds people- :D :) :D :)

nanya said:
if so then how...

I don't know how I was thinking I was going to start getting ready for orientation. I just know that I am not in the school mood after all this time off.

Dr.BBasket said:
hey- i am here on campus already and there is construction going on, that consists of yeah- dirt roads.
nanya- i will co-sign on your comment about not doing dirt roads. but i will just wear some sturdy sandals.

i loving all the conversation going on the thread. it was hella quiet before!
sunshine and clouds people- :D :) :D :)

Dr.BBasket, I am guessing (for some reason) you are not a girl..you may actially in fact be a guy...I apologize if I am wrong..so sturdy sandals would probably work for you.. :)
but some of us here are girls...like myself...so to hear that I would have to wear sturdy sandals for orientation is ..well..not be best case scenario...especially for girly girls... :rolleyes:
so I think I will disregard the warning and go for something more feminine.. ;)

:luck:

LOLLOLOLOLO I am a woman, and as girly girl as they come! I cant wait to meet you so we can have a good laugh about this one! I cant wait til I tell my friends!!!
I said sturdy sandals as opposed to sandals with high heels- like low sandals.

wow- i thought the "sunshine and clouds, la la la" would have been a giveaway. ~Brandi

Dr.BBasket said:
LOLLOLOLOLO I am a woman, and as girly girl as they come! I cant wait to meet you so we can have a good laugh about this one! I cant wait til I tell my friends!!!
I said sturdy sandals as opposed to sandals with high heels- like low sandals.

wow- i thought the "sunshine and clouds, la la la" would have been a giveaway. ~Brandi

loooooooooooooll...this is too funny... :laugh:
now that I think about it espcially the "la la la" should have given me a clue..
I am blaming my lack of intuition on the stress of what's coming..MS1 :D
nice to meet you Brandi :)

Anna

oh...what a shame.. :p