***Official MSUCOM Class of 2010***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

judgehopkins

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just found out that I have been accepted to the 2010 class at MSUCOM on my 25th birthday of alldays!

I look forward to meeting all of you and hope that this forum serves us well in our preparation for next July.

Sincerely,

J Wm Decker

Members don't see this ad.

I got my acceptance call this morning. I am sooo excited and, I think, in disbelief. My dream came true!!!!! I cant believe it!!!! Woohhhooooo.

Judge & Dr.BB,

Congratulations on your respective acceptances!

MSUCOM is an excellent school. Welcome to the program; I hope to see you around next fall, or during the summer if anatomy is again offered in July. By the way, if you value your leisure time, I would highly suggest the summer anatomy course. The end of your summer will be very intense, but the fall semester, sans anatomy, is freaking awesome!

Admittedly, I don't check SDN as often as I did during the application process, but feel free to post or PM me with any questions about MSUCOM; I will, albeit delayed, reply.

All the best,
-ky

Members don't see this ad :)
kyriacos01 said:
Judge & Dr.BB,

Congratulations on your respective acceptances!

MSUCOM is an excellent school. Welcome to the program; I hope to see you around next fall, or during the summer if anatomy is again offered in July. By the way, if you value your leisure time, I would highly suggest the summer anatomy course. The end of your summer will be very intense, but the fall semester, sans anatomy, is freaking awesome!

Admittedly, I don't check SDN as often as I did during the application process, but feel free to PM me with any questions about MSUCOM; I will, albeit delayed, reply.

All the best,
-ky

Hi. I would like to know how long after the secondary application is received does msucom let you know if you will receive an interview or not. days? weeks? thank you.

shawmahmed said:
Hi. I would like to know how long after the secondary application is received does msucom let you know if you will receive an interview or not. days? weeks? thank you.

I applied really early and was complete 7/21. I was notified of an interivew 9/7. Interviewed 9/19. Accepted 9/28 (officially).
I think it depends because I read on their website that you are scored and they interview based on that. I think I was in the second interview batch, but I am sure it helped that I am a MI resident. How long has it been since you were complete?

Dr.BBasket said:
I applied really early and was complete 7/21. I was notified of an interivew 9/7. Interviewed 9/19. Accepted 9/28 (officially).
I think it depends because I read on their website that you are scored and they interview based on that. I think I was in the second interview batch, but I am sure it helped that I am a MI resident. How long has it been since you were complete?

I finished aacomas 7/14, received secondary 8/15 they received secondary from me 9/27

Dr.BBasket said:

My timeline was very similar to Dr. BB's; i.e., I finished the secondary application in late July, interviewed in mid-late September, and received my letter of acceptance two weeks later, the first week of October.

Although in state residency is important to MSUCOM (typical class = < 10% non-residents) it seemed to have no influence on either my date of interview or acceptance; as I am a non-resident from that Red & White school over the lake and a short drive West.

All the best,
-ky

kyriacos01 said:
My timeline was very similar to Dr. BB's; i.e., I finished the secondary application in late July, interviewed in mid-late September, and received my letter of acceptance two weeks later, the first week of October.

Although in state residency is important to MSUCOM (typical class = < 10% non-residents) it seemed to have no influence on either my date of interview or acceptance; as I am a non-resident from that Red & White school over the lake and a short drive West.

All the best,
-ky

for the interview does msucom tell you when the interview is or are you allowed to set the date and time for the interview.

kyriacos01 said:

All the best,
-ky

for the interview does msucom tell you when the interview is or can you set the date and time for the interview.

kyriacos01 said:

All the best,
-ky

for the interview does msucom tell you when the interview is or can you set the date and time for the interview.

kyriacos01 said:

All the best,
-ky

for the interview does msucom tell you when the interview is or can you set the date and time for the interview and also were your evaluators ever called and asked anything?

kyriacos01 said:

All the best,
-ky

for the interview does msucom tell you when the interview is or can you set the date and time for the interview and also were your evaluators ever called and asked anything?

shawmahmed said:

When I was invited to interview, I was notified by email and I was able to select the date but not the time for my interview. I do not know whether my evaluators were ever called about anything.

-Decker

Members don't see this ad :)
judgehopkins said:
When I was invited to interview, I was notified by email and I was able to select the date but not the time for my interview. I do not know whether my evaluators were ever called about anything.

-Decker

Same here.

All the best,
-ky

kyriacos01 said:
Same here.

All the best,
-ky

can you guys tell me your gpas mcat scores and whether you guys had osteopathic doctors or allopathic doctors write your recommendation letters.

WELCOME 2010 people:) I look forward to seeing you on campus next year ;)

vegangirl said:
WELCOME 2010 people:) I look forward to seeing you on campus next year ;)

vegangirl do you know if they will increase the incoming class size for the class of 2010 and also what was gpa and mcat score when you goit in and if an allopathic or osteopathic doctor wrote a recommendation letter for u.

Just wanted to say that I got the acceptance call today! I look forward to see yall in the fall!

dhp98 said:
Just wanted to say that I got the acceptance call today! I look forward to see yall in the fall!

i am going to interview can you tell me what kind of questions they ask and how i can prepare for it.

shawmahmed said:
i am going to interview can you tell me what kind of questions they ask and how i can prepare for it.

I looked at my secodnary and primary essays, i read all of the interview questions supplied on SDN in the interview feedback section. Especially you should know the osteopathic philosophy, what it means to you, how you came to want to pursue osteopathic medicine, why you would like to be a physician. Also they might throw something out about a current healthcare problem so I would know something about the state of healthcare today (i.e. shortages, premium indigent, uninsurable, unemployed). Just be confident that you know why you want this and everything should be cool. You made it through the hard part now all you have to do is sell yourself to the school and show them that your both mature and confident you can make through four years of med school. I would also know how you plan to pay for school, what you like about MSUCOM, some history about osteopathy and MSUCOM history, finally I would make sure to ask questions when they ask if you have any. This shows a genuine interest in the school and in your education.

dhp98 said:
I looked at my secodnary and primary essays, i read all of the interview questions supplied on SDN in the interview feedback section. Especially you should know the osteopathic philosophy, what it means to you, how you came to want to pursue osteopathic medicine, why you would like to be a physician. Also they might throw something out about a current healthcare problem so I would know something about the state of healthcare today (i.e. shortages, premium indigent, uninsurable, unemployed). Just be confident that you know why you want this and everything should be cool. You made it through the hard part now all you have to do is sell yourself to the school and show them that your both mature and confident you can make through four years of med school. I would also know how you plan to pay for school, what you like about MSUCOM, some history about osteopathy and MSUCOM history, finally I would make sure to ask questions when they ask if you have any. This shows a genuine interest in the school and in your education.

thanx a lot you really helped, can anyone tell me anywebsites or magazines i can go to read up on current healthcare/medicalcare issues.

First and foremost,
CONGRATULATIONS on your acceptances. It is an extreme honor to have been accepted to any medical school in the US, and MSUCOM is an excellent school that has produced outstanding physicians.

I've heard a few questions in reading the posts and if you have anything to ask, please don't hesitate to PM me and ask anything from curriculum to housing.

From what I've heard, the summer anatomy course will be offered for the incoming class in 2006. I've heard rumblings from the Anatomy Profs and the Administration. Whether it is mandatory I have not heard, but stay tuned for information. Call the Admissions Office with any questions and you'll likely get more information than from me.
Also, from what I understand the incoming class will remain at 200 for a year or so. The next scheduled increase cannot occur until CHM relocates, which may happen at any time between tomorrow and next century (seriously, it's in the works and considering the difficulty and complexity it will be impressive).
If you are an out-of-state student, please hold your acceptance for a bit, if you can. The Non-Resident Scholarship is an excellent way to lower your costs, I speak from experience, and it will be offered around November (most likely). You likely won't have to commit to the school until you know your financial situation.

If you have any other questions, I check my PM Inbox every couple days. Best of luck to everyone and I hope to see you next year!
-s1e

subtle1epiphany said:
From what I've heard, the summer anatomy course will be offered for the incoming class in 2006. I've heard rumblings from the Anatomy Profs and the Administration. Whether it is mandatory I have not heard, but stay tuned for information.

I'm not exactly "in the know", but when we met with the administrators last month Dr. Falls said they would be making summer anatomy mandatory. But, they also said that they hoped to allow a longer break before fall than we received (essentially two days with homework to do :(). But, don't hold me to this as it seems things are in a modification phase. To future students, do not be turned off by the number of changes being made. Everything is going great for us (2009) and we're the guinea pigs. The changes are excellent and they really seem to be listening to what we have to say about it.

marie337 said:
I'm not exactly "in the know", but when we met with the administrators last month Dr. Falls said they would be making summer anatomy mandatory. But, they also said that they hoped to allow a longer break before fall than we received (essentially two days with homework to do :(). But, don't hold me to this as it seems things are in a modification phase. To future students, do not be turned off by the number of changes being made. Everything is going great for us (2009) and we're the guinea pigs. The changes are excellent and they really seem to be listening to what we have to say about it.
Cool!
Sounds like marie337 has it down. Dr. Falls seems like a reliable guy.
I'll echo everything that marie337 has said, even though less has been different for me, as I am taking anatomy now, the administration is amazing here at MSUCOM.

Yeah, that one night transition they gave you from summer anatomy to fall orientation was ridiculous. Especially after the loss of your summer. At least things are easier now during the semester. :D

subtle1epiphany said:
Cool!
Sounds like marie337 has it down. Dr. Falls seems like a reliable guy.
I'll echo everything that marie337 has said, even though less has been different for me, as I am taking anatomy now, the administration is amazing here at MSUCOM.

Yeah, that one night transition they gave you from summer anatomy to fall orientation was ridiculous. Especially after the loss of your summer. At least things are easier now during the semester. :D

Dr.Falls is reliable and just plain awesome!

futuredo32 said:

can someone tell me how many students they toured with and had lunch before the msucom interview?

futuredo32 said:

can someone tell me how many students you toured and had lunch with before the msucom interview.?

Just wait until you guys have him for anatomy. :thumbup:

Dr. Paganini showed a video of Dr. Falls from the summer, so much of the brachial plexus made more sense with Dr. Falls explaining it simply and functionally.
Drs. Paganini and Rechtien are very good, but sometimes I wish we had Dr. Falls for parts of the fall. :D

subtle1epiphany said:
Just wait until you guys have him for anatomy. :thumbup:

Dr. Paganini showed a video of Dr. Falls from the summer, so much of the brachial plexus made more sense with Dr. Falls explaining it simply and functionally.
Drs. Paganini and Rechtien are very good, but sometimes I wish we had Dr. Falls for parts of the fall. :D

I actually preferred Dr. Rechtein (AKA Dr. Speedy) because his test questions were much better than those of Dr. Falls. Dr. Rechtein is very straightforward and clinic based because of his background. Dr. Falls is an anatomist so his questions focused much more on detailed anatomy. Plus, it's hard to fall asleep when Dr. Rechtein is speaking faster than you can process.

marie337 said:
I actually preferred Dr. Rechtein (AKA Dr. Speedy) because his test questions were much better than those of Dr. Falls. Dr. Rechtein is very straightforward and clinic based because of his background. Dr. Falls is an anatomist so his questions focused much more on detailed anatomy. Plus, it's hard to fall asleep when Dr. Rechtein is speaking faster than you can process.
Very true about Rechtien, I have definitely enjoyed his style as a contrast to Paganini, who is an anatomist, and I imagine similar to Falls.
Also, Rechtien knows his stuff so cold that he just rattles it off, it's amazing. Like you said, "JR" is a fast talker and his little jokes are priceless.

shawmahmed said:
can someone tell me how many students you toured and had lunch with before the msucom interview.?

at both of my interviews, one in february and one in september, I interviewed/toured with three other prospective students.

judgehopkins said:
at both of my interviews, one in february and one in september, I interviewed/toured with three other prospective students.

my question is how many students are already in msucom toured and lunched with (how many showed you the tour) you not how many prospective students you toured/lunched with and also did you take any folder or anything lor's or transcripts with you to the interview?

shawmahmed said:
my question is how many students are already in msucom toured and lunched with (how many showed you the tour) you not how many prospective students you toured/lunched with and also did you take any folder or anything lor's or transcripts with you to the interview?

did anyone recieve in the mail before their interview at msucom, a letter giving the schedule of interview day, a medical student financial aid page and also a technical standards for msucom admissions to sign and mail or turn in at interview.?

shawmahmed said:
did anyone recieve in the mail before their interview at msucom, a letter giving the schedule of interview day, a medical student financial aid page and also a technical standards for msucom admissions to sign and mail or turn in at interview.?

Shaw,

you have to relax. I know you have a lot of questions, but don't stress yourself out. Trust me it will only make matters worse. You have gotten the hard part over with, now all you have to do is do well in your interview. The latter shouldn't be hard if your confident and have answered the questions I pinpointed for you. To answer your questions I believe everybody receives those pages to sign. Take one step at a time and you'll be cool. Good luck, like I said you can pm me anytime

dhp98 said:
Shaw,

you have to relax. I know you have a lot of questions, but don't stress yourself out. Trust me it will only make matters worse. You have gotten the hard part over with, now all you have to do is do well in your interview. The latter shouldn't be hard if your confident and have answered the questions I pinpointed for you. To answer your questions I believe everybody receives those pages to sign. Take one step at a time and you'll be cool. Good luck, like I said you can pm me anytime

im not stressing my self out, i'm asking these questions out of excitement because i didn't expect to get this far, i wasn't even going to apply but then my friend convinced me to do it, im just so shocked

Hi everyone,
It has gotten a little quiet on our message board, so I thought I'd say something. Has anyone turned in their deposit and signed those papers? Anyone actually official yet? I did it....

~B.

Nope, I figured I would wait as long as possible until I had to spend the $500 dollars. I know its due before or on Dec 15th , so I still have some time. It's just hard for me to concentrate on my studies right now, because I have my acceptance. I guess i'm just happy to know i'll be in East Lansing thins summer, but bummed that I still have to take classes in this term and next. ______________________________________________
"This Wolverine is going to become a Spartan."[/QUOTE]

I am taking two classes now (after having dropped one that I knew I wasnt going to concentrate on it). I have decided not to waste money, as an out-of state student, and not take classes this spring. I am just going to work and apartment hunt. I need a car, so I will be saving up for that.
I am really excited about the summer. ~B

Due to the fact that I don't trust the postal system, I am driving to lansing tomorrow to pay my deposit!

I will be official tomorrow

Jon

judgehopkins said:
Due to the fact that I don't trust the postal system, I am driving to lansing tomorrow to pay my deposit!

I will be official tomorrow

Jon

You can pay it online

dhp98 said:
You can pay it online

Yeah I know that I can pay it online but my debit card limits the amount of money I can spend with it in one day.

OH GREAT ST. STILL IN THE SKY, I WOULD LIKE TO FINALLY ANOUNCE THAT 100,000 DOLLARS WILL NOT BE SHED FROM THE BLOOD OF MY FUTURE INCOME!

Oh Great and glorious St. Still, be kind to me in my new avocation, please bless me over the next 4 years and beyond. I hope that my devotion to you will be worthy of the title DO.

Oh St. Still I be and plead that you will show me the path of duty and I will prove myself worthy of the joys I am about to partake.

To you St. Still I pledge obedience and lifelong devotion.

My soul is now yours,

AMEN

judgehopkins said:
Yeah I know that I can pay it online but my debit card limits the amount of money I can spend with it in one day.

OH GREAT ST. STILL IN THE SKY, I WOULD LIKE TO FINALLY ANOUNCE THAT 100,000 DOLLARS WILL NOT BE SHED FROM THE BLOOD OF MY FUTURE INCOME!

Oh Great and glorious St. Still, be kind to me in my new avocation, please bless me over the next 4 years and beyond. I hope that my devotion to you will be worthy of the title DO.

Oh St. Still I be and plead that you will show me the path of duty and I will prove myself worthy of the joys I am about to partake.

To you St. Still I pledge obedience and lifelong devotion.

My soul is now yours,

AMEN

i would like to know if anyone can tell me whether i need to take anything to the interview (except myself) such as folders, briefcases, personal statement, etc.

shawmahmed said:
i would like to know if anyone can tell me whether i need to take anything to the interview (except myself) such as folders, briefcases, personal statement, etc.

I didn't take anything with me to either of my interviews (note; i interviewed once in february and again in sept.) The day is very simple and short so don't worry about anything. Your interviewer will have a copy of your essay and they will give you a folder with all of the information that you will need.

so just relax and enjoy the day. Both of the interviewers I had were very relaxed and interesting people. Just sit back and enjoy the conversation.

Good luck.

Jon

judgehopkins said:
I didn't take anything with me to either of my interviews (note; i interviewed once in february and again in sept.) The day is very simple and short so don't worry about anything. Your interviewer will have a copy of your essay and they will give you a folder with all of the information that you will need.

so just relax and enjoy the day. Both of the interviewers I had were very relaxed and interesting people. Just sit back and enjoy the conversation.

Good luck.

Jon
what are the reasons why someone wouldn't be accpeted after the interview?

How much is the deposit for MSUCOM? I thought it was less than $500, although that is what someone posted here. How long after you are accepted do you have to decide?

you have until december 15th but that may change since it is pretty late in the cycle.

judgehopkins said:
you have until december 15th but that may change since it is pretty late in the cycle.

i just had my interview today 11-14-05, how long do i have to wait to hear from msucom if i have been accepted or not?

shawmahmed said:
i just had my interview today 11-14-05, how long do i have to wait to hear from msucom if i have been accepted or not?

The admissions office says that it may take up to two weeks but it will probably be less than that. maybe a week.

judgehopkins said:
The admissions office says that it may take up to two weeks but it will probably be less than that. maybe a week.

if someone gets into msucom does that person have to finish up his/her bachelor's degree or is it ok to get in with let's say 109 credits done. can they reject you after you have been accepted because you didn't get a bachelor's.

The website says:

"Completion of at least 90 semester or 135 term credits in an accredited college or university. Completion of eight semester or 12 term credits, including lecture and laboratory, with all grades at 2.0 or higher, in each of the following blah, bla, blah."

But, I would call for clarification.

if someone gets into msucom does that person have to finish up his/her bachelor's degree or is it ok to get in with let's say 109 credits done. can they reject you after you have been accepted because you didn't get a bachelor's.