***Official MSUCOM Class of 2010***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The Deposit is still 500, Secondary application until interview invite was about 3 weeks, yes you need a bach degree, no you dont need to bring anything to the interview but yourself and a smile and... a suit, for charismatic and legal reasons...

Just recieved an acceptance invite, Im so happy I almost forgot im spending the winter in New York State with a bunch of steel workers.

Goodluck to all of you! and Hello to those of you that are well... classmates.

Members don't see this ad.

congratulations...see you in July

Members don't see this ad :)
judgehopkins said:
Eight months left until the end of our real lives.

i want to understand this. the first two years we are at msu taking classes on campus. the next two years we do our clerkship at a hospital that we choose in the statewide campus system .while in our last two years doing the clerkship where are we going to live. on campus at msu? at our house if it is close by? and also the same hospitals we do our clerkship are those the same hospitals we do our residencies?

shawmahmed said:
i want to understand this. the first two years we are at msu taking classes on campus. the next two years we do our clerkship at a hospital that we choose in the statewide campus system .while in our last two years doing the clerkship where are we going to live. on campus at msu? at our house if it is close by? and also the same hospitals we do our clerkship are those the same hospitals we do our residencies?

during the first two years you will live in the Lansing area. I don't recommend living on campus though, It sucks. Living in Owen Hall is aweful, the rooms are small and you barely live in a closet. For the clerkship phase you will move to where the hospital is and live there. You may be able to do your residency at the hospital you are at but there is obviously no guarantee.

I am sure it doing your clerkship there probably will help you in getting a residency there.

judgehopkins said:
during the first two years you will live in the Lansing area. I don't recommend living on campus though, It sucks. Living in Owen Hall is aweful, the rooms are small and you barely live in a closet. For the clerkship phase you will move to where the hospital is and live there. You may be able to do your residency at the hospital you are at but there is obviously no guarantee.

I am sure it doing your clerkship there probably will help you in getting a residency there.

i had my interview last monday (11-14), will they call me and let me know if i have been admitted or not this thursday, or friday even though its thanksgiving weekend or do i have to wait till next week.

shawmahmed said:
i had my interview last monday (11-14), will they call me and let me know if i have been admitted or not this thursday, or friday even though its thanksgiving weekend or do i have to wait till next week.

can some of you guys tell me what time (specific) the admissions office called you in the morning or afternoon or whatever to let you know if you have been accepted or not and also does the admissions office mainly call notifying of acceptances and declines on wednesday, and thursday of the week?

They called me (the first time) on Wednesday afternoon, around 3:30pm. Tamara must have called me right after they finished meeting. She called again on Thursday morning. I interviewed on Sept 19th and found out Sept 28 (ok Sept 29th). I was nervous waiting because I didnt know if I had went in the batch for the Wednesday after my interview or what. Be patient. You'll probably get a call today-- Good luck!!!

Dr.BBasket said:
They called me (the first time) on Wednesday afternoon, around 3:30pm. Tamara must have called me right after they finished meeting. She called again on Thursday morning. I interviewed on Sept 19th and found out Sept 28 (ok Sept 29th). I was nervous waiting because I didnt know if I had went in the batch for the Wednesday after my interview or what. Be patient. You'll probably get a call today-- Good luck!!!

why did they call you twice and what did they say each time?

shawmahmed said:
why did they call you twice and what did they say each time?
Tamara called me and I missed the call on Wednesday. I called her back the next morning, and she wasnt there, and she called me back. She asked how my interview went and told me my interviewer recommended for entrance and the admissions committee agreed.

Dr.BBasket said:
Tamara called me and I missed the call on Wednesday. I called her back the next morning, and she wasnt there, and she called me back. She asked how my interview went and told me my interviewer recommended for entrance and the admissions committee agreed.

i just got waitlisted. what does that mean and what do i do next? what are the chances i will get accepted?

I just got in. I guess there is a possibility I might meet you guys.

shawmahmed said:
i just got waitlisted. what does that mean and what do i do next? what are the chances i will get accepted?
Shawmahmed, you really need to chill out. I am reading your posts and have the image that you're some insanely jittery and overstressed pre-med. I live in East Lansing and have talked with several COM students who were accepted from the waitlist throughout the spring semester and into the summer. Being waitlisted simply means that they are keeping you around and will review your file each wednesday meeting and decide whether or not to grant you a seat in the next class. Ultimately, they just want to review some of the upcoming applicants first before giving you an offer. I think they take rougly half of the ppl from the waitlist. Its much better than being rejected, I can tell you that. I honestly wouldnt get yourself worked up over this. You are through the hard part and now all you have to do is sit back and wait. Its out of your hands, and worrying or constantly checking this board isnt goning to do anything but make you more excited than you already are. Go have a beer or something, its not the end of the world. Since your questions are very brief and peripherally related to MSUCOM 2010, would you mind just PMing me your questions to save board space? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they call regardless, even if you are rejected? FrogE, what day did you interview?

I have to agree, having been waitlisted for the 2009 class and then accepted into the 2010 class, just relax and have some fun.

by the time you get into medical school you will have all of the stress that you want.

did you apply to any of the other osteopathic schools?

I just got accepted yesterday. It was everything I hoped it would be, and a little bit more since MSU beat GT last night. I interviewed on the 21st, and the ADCOM will review your file the following wednesday. (They were one week late for me due to the holidays) And I am pretty sure that they will call you regardless of the decision.

FOR HOUSING. What is everyone planning on doing next year?

shawmahmed said:
IT's still really early in the interviewing season. A lot of students get off of the waitlist at MSUCOM. Getting into medical school was one of the most stressful events of my life. I am now an MSII at MSUCOM and I was waitlisted, and it wasn't until after May 15th that they called and offered me a spot.
Good Luck! :luck:

futuredo32 said:
IT's still really early in the interviewing season. A lot of students get off of the waitlist at MSUCOM. Getting into medical school was one of the most stressful events of my life. I am now an MSII at MSUCOM and I was waitlisted, and it wasn't until after May 15th that they called and offered me a spot.

i come from a poor family and being a doctor is my ticket out of the ghetto plus i only applied to one school. lol.

Hello New Admits!!
I've been waiting on the new wave of people and I am excited that we will be classmates this summer! It is really nice to not have to worry night and day about whether I am going to go to med school.
About housing--I am slowly looking into housing for this summer. If anyone comes across nice aprtment close to campus. please post on the board.

Shawnmed--I feel you. I am poor as well, and from Detroit, so I understand your comment. Just hold in there and stay positive and in a few weeks, submit a letter explaning your continued interest. They want to see how much you want this, but stay cool in the meantime. Stressing wont help.

Congratulations to all who were recently accepted. I looked on MSUCOM website and saw that they have dorms, off campus housing, and co-op housing. Although that co-op housing seemed a little weird (I just haven't heard of it before). I will probably start looking for housing around January or February just to see if any vacancies will be available for the summer. Take care

dhp98 said:
Congratulations to all who were recently accepted. I looked on MSUCOM website and saw that they have dorms, off campus housing, and co-op housing. Although that co-op housing seemed a little weird (I just haven't heard of it before). I will probably start looking for housing around January or February just to see if any vacancies will be available for the summer. Take care

hey guys jessie from farmington hills, i am new to this forum, i just got on the f***** alternate list at msucom, anybody know the f***** stats of how many getting in out of how many are alternate listed.

can someone confirm this for me. msucom will take approximately 205 students this year. i found out that 66 interviews will take place between now and may. it says on their website that the class is 90% filled by mid-december so 90% times 205 equals around 184 so around 184 seats will be filled up by mid-december. this leaves 21 seats for alternates so whoever is alternate listed from those 66 interviews from now until may will compete for approximately 21 seats. lets say 50 of these people are alternate listed and 16 are declined. so at least 50 people are going to compete for the last 20 seats. does this sound right? and also is there a waitlist rank?

ppormansdoormd said:
can someone confirm this for me. msucom will take approximately 205 students this year. i found out that 66 interviews will take place between now and may. it says on their website that the class is 90% filled by mid-december so 90% times 205 equals around 184 so around 184 seats will be filled up by mid-december. this leaves 21 seats for alternates so whoever is alternate listed from those 66 interviews from now until may will compete for approximately 21 seats. lets say 50 of these people are alternate listed and 16 are declined. so at least 50 people are going to compete for the last 20 seats. does this sound right? and also is there a waitlist rank?
Keep in mind that some of the people MSUCOM has accepted are being waitlisted at other schools that they would prefer to attend. When I applied, there was some deadline in May when allopathic schools did not allow students to hold acceptances at multiple schools. After this date, the waitlist starts to move pretty fast.

Good Luck!

Having already received one degree from state, I think that I can comment on the housing situation in East Lansing

I am currently living in kzoo and will be looking for a place to live in march or april.

I personally hesitating about living near campus and the reason is the trains.

there are train tracks that run right through campus and a train runs through about once every twenty minutes, and if you want to wake up in the middle of the night to a train whistle, then yes I definitely endorse getting an apartment adjacent to campus over on Hagadorn. Most of these apartments are in great proximity to campus, as in across the street, but the price you pay is insomnia.

There is the upper tier, which opened my last year at state, I am not familiar with the set up of the apartments but you live with three other people and have to drive 10 to 15 minutes to get to Fee Hall.

There is always the student ghetto between grand river and burcham. I am thinking about going in on a house in this area, but be warned, there are plenty of undergraduates and house parties, so once again you will wake up in the middle of the night to rock music down the street.

On campus housing and apartments; DON'T DO IT! especially Owen Graduate Center. unless you are monk and like living in a closet and sleeping standing up, then I fully endorse this option also. Also, the on campus cable SUCKS. You probably won't get much opportunity to enjoy it, but they options are limited.

If you are interested the university will give you free housing to live on one of the research farms between service road and I-96. the price you pay for this is taking care of sheep and mules at three in the morning while they give birth. so unless you are have a degree in animal science I would not endorse this option either.

You can always see what options exist in Okemos, Williamston, mason, and Holt also.

PM me for further questions or post them on here\

Also I am looking for a roommate/roommates next year

JD

futuredo32 said:

Can you tell me your stats when you got in? mcat and gpa

Hi guys! I was accepted to MSU via email last week. I am SO excited!!!! :) I graduated from MSU last spring and do research on campus now. Just wanted to throw my 2 pennies in on housing...I live in an apartment west of lasning (almost in Grand Ledge). Rent is SO much cheaper here and campus is only a 10-15 min drive from campus, plus no street lights on the way. Bottem line--the farther from East Lansing you go, the cheaper (and quieter) housing is.

griffyn81 said:
Hi guys! I was accepted to MSU via email last week. I am SO excited!!!! :) I graduated from MSU last spring and do research on campus now. Just wanted to throw my 2 pennies in on housing...I live in an apartment west of lasning (almost in Grand Ledge). Rent is SO much cheaper here and campus is only a 10-15 min drive from campus, plus no street lights on the way. Bottem line--the farther from East Lansing you go, the cheaper (and quieter) housing is.

How much cheaper?

dhp98 said:
How much cheaper?

I used to live in the Northern Tier in a 1 bed/1 bath for around between 8-850 a month (it included cable and internet but not ConsumersE). To be fair, the Northern Tier is probably one of the most expensive places to live in E. lansing--espeically if you just have a 1 bedroom. I live in a 1bed/1bath now that's just as nice (and larger) for $499 (i pay for all utilities here but it's still at least $250 a month cheaper). There's no issue with guest parking out here like they had in the northern tier when I lived there--this could have changed though since it's been a few years since I lived there.

griffyn81 said:
I used to live in the Northern Tier in a 1 bed/1 bath for around between 8-850 a month (it included cable and internet but not ConsumersE). To be fair, the Northern Tier is probably one of the most expensive places to live in E. lansing--espeically if you just have a 1 bedroom. I live in a 1bed/1bath now that's just as nice (and larger) for $499 (i pay for all utilities here but it's still at least $250 a month cheaper). There's no issue with guest parking out here like they had in the northern tier when I lived there--this could have changed though since it's been a few years since I lived there.

What apartment complex is that? That sounds like a hell of a deal.

dhp98 said:
What apartment complex is that? That sounds like a hell of a deal.

i'll pm you...

I just finished my last final :D ..and wont be looking at another book until June :D . What is everyone planning to do next semester? Work :) ? School :( ? Relax :D ? Travel :D :D ?

I am finishing a graduate degree in exercise physiology at Western where I currently teach several human anatomy lab courses for the physician assistant department.

I KNOW SCHOOL STARTS IN THE SUMMER, BUT WHEN IS A GOOD TIME TO START LOOKING FOR A ROOMMATE AND APARTMENT? jUST WONDERING

dhp98 said:
I KNOW SCHOOL STARTS IN THE SUMMER, BUT WHEN IS A GOOD TIME TO START LOOKING FOR A ROOMMATE AND APARTMENT? jUST WONDERING

I was wondering the exact same thing.

What is the deal with living with other students? Do they expect us to live alone or with a significant other for the first year? I expected most of us to find other ms1 to live with but havent heard anything about how to meet/find a roommate.

ping1050 said:
I was wondering the exact same thing.

What is the deal with living with other students? Do they expect us to live alone or with a significant other for the first year? I expected most of us to find other ms1 to live with but havent heard anything about how to meet/find a roommate.

A lot of my classmates matched up w/ roommates using the link that judgehopkins posted. If you want to live alone and are willing to shop around for apts for a bit, you can definitely afford to do so on loan money (I spend 499/mo + util and live alone)

btw, hopefully you'll be getting a list of apartment recommendations from the class of 09 soon, I know the class president is working on it right now.

gl, enjoy your break!

raDiOnut

That is so cool of the class president! That would really be helpful for us incoming students. I was looking at the financial aid website...we get $700/month for rent and utilities right?

hi future classmates! i finally took the time to register so that i could post threads instead of just reading yours.

anyway . . . i just started looking for apartments the last couple of days. from what i hear from other people, living away from east lansing is the best because it's cheaper and more quiet.
i looked on rent.com, and they have a lot of apartments listed in the area. i'm going to visit a few next week.
personally, i'm planning on living by myself. i got pretty much every experience there was during my undergrad (dorms, sorority house, apartments with roommates). who knows . . . i might hate it, but i'm going to try it out while i'm living on loans!

has anyone gotten any info about specific orientation dates or deadlines for tuition due? let me know because i haven't heard anything.

talk to you all soon!

Dr.BBasket said:
That is so cool of the class president! That would really be helpful for us incoming students. I was looking at the financial aid website...we get $700/month for rent and utilities right?

Yeah, it's about 700/mo -- I got lucky this semester and didn't quite spend all my loan money from the Fall (so I went to the mall...)

btw, when planning your expenses I'd 100% recommend high speed Internet -- you'll want it for downloading lectures, etc.

Hello Class 2010! I was hoping someone could tell me who would I contact to shadow a MSU DO or at the OMM Clinic. I'm currently a MSU student hoping to attend MSUCOM Summer 2007. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

A person will sometimes devote all his life to the development of one part of his body - the wishbone~ Robert Frost.

Killgrove said:
Hello Class 2010! I was hoping someone could tell me who would I contact to shadow a MSU DO or at the OMM Clinic. I'm currently a MSU student hoping to attend MSUCOM Summer 2007. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Hey Killgrove,

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=3209399#post3209399

did you see the answer posted in MSUCOM class of 2009? (don't know if the above link works). futuredo32 posted a few suggestions. You should be able to find email addresses/phone numbers for any of the OMM dept faculty on the MSUCOM website (go to "departments" from main page)

hope this helps

raDiOnut, MSUCOM OMS-I

Hey guys! I look forward to meeting all of you this summer! I was just wondering if any of you had an idea on how the anatomy class is going to work this summer. Are we completing the entire anatomy course in the summer, or are we just using july and august to get a head start, and we will continue studying anatomy in the fall? Is the course really going to be intensive over the summer or is it possible to work part-time during july and august? Please let me know! thanks!

Hi guys, i am currently on the waitlist for MSUCOM class of 2010,i won't be finished with my bachelor's until august,if they accept me from the waitlist and they don't take me for the class of 2010 because i won't be able to finish my bachelor's by july, can i defer my acceptance for MSUCOM class of 2011, by that time i will be finished with my bachelor's, is that possible? is there a system like this? i think i will do this if they don't take me because i will not be able to finish my bachelor's by july 5 of this year which is when classes start at MSUCOM. i just want to know if they do accept if i can defer the accpetance for next year's entering class, (MSUCOM class of 2011). thanx for the feedback.

BengaliDocIsl said:
Hi guys, i am currently on the waitlist for MSUCOM class of 2010,i won't be finished with my bachelor's until august,if they accept me from the waitlist and they don't take me for the class of 2010 because i won't be able to finish my bachelor's by july, can i defer my acceptance for MSUCOM class of 2011, by that time i will be finished with my bachelor's, is that possible? is there a system like this? i think i will do this if they don't take me because i will not be able to finish my bachelor's by july 5 of this year which is when classes start at MSUCOM. i just want to know if they do accept if i can defer the accpetance for next year's entering class, (MSUCOM class of 2011). thanx for the feedback.

Yes, you can defer your acceptance for a year.

I was looking for the start date of Gross Anatomy for the class of 2010, but I was unable to find it. I was thinking it started the first week of July. Also for those who took it in the summer last year...I was wondering what the workload was like. Any info will be greatly appreciated

I think Anatomy will start July 5th. Orientation will be June 29-30th (maybe 28th too). White Coat Ceremony is on June 30th.

Hope this helps.

Hey I was wondering if anybody knew where to find a copy of the match list for msucom. I tried all the obvious stuff and couldn't find anything. I got a lot of free time now that i got in and this is going to bug me untill i find a copy of it.
thanks