***Official MSUCOM Class of 2010***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone received any communication from MSU since they paid the deposit for their spot? When do we start getting more information?

Members don't see this ad.

Madhanit said:
Hey I was wondering if anybody knew where to find a copy of the match list for msucom. I tried all the obvious stuff and couldn't find anything. I got a lot of free time now that i got in and this is going to bug me untill i find a copy of it.
thanks

They gave everyone matchlists when they went for their interview. If you do not have that copy, I would call the office and ask them to mail you a copy.

iamme said:
Has anyone received any communication from MSU since they paid the deposit for their spot? When do we start getting more information?

yes, I just received an email about apartment info and start/orientation dates. I received the email on feb 10.

Members don't see this ad :)
michigandoc2be said:
They gave everyone matchlists when they went for their interview. If you do not have that copy, I would call the office and ask them to mail you a copy.

For whatever reason that wasnt in my folder the day i did my interview ... I am out of the country right now so i dont know if its really worth it to call them then wait 2 weeks for it to get to me ... but thanks anyways i'll just stop by fee when I get back and ask for a copy of it.

michigandoc2be said:
yes, I just received an email about apartment info and start/orientation dates. I received the email on feb 10.

I am really excited now that we are receiving more correspondence from MSUCOM. It makes me feel like I am really starting there soon :)

Anybody doing a myspace page for the class of 2010?

Dr.BBasket said:
I just finished my last final :D ..and wont be looking at another book until June :D . What is everyone planning to do next semester? Work :) ? School :( ? Relax :D ? Travel :D :D ?

Working construction in upstate New York :eek: until April, then putting my brain back in and dusting off the old bookshelf... Oh, and for the record everthing is cheaper in Lansing, taxes, rent etc. I pay 500 a month for an exquisite house in Lansing (5 bedroom) for the mortgage! as opposed to the 420 I was paying for a basement apartment-o-death in East Lansing. And im starting to get light headed thinking about going back to school while so many others of you speak of research projects and lab works, Im concerned with booming 4 tons of steel into a valence so I can automate some conveyor. When I get done in MArch I intend to take a week or two to tour Michigan from border to border one last time... :love:

dhp98 said:
Anybody doing a myspace page for the class of 2010?

i just joined myspace today . . . i tried to make a group, but it said that i have to be a member for at least 7 days. i think we should do it though. if no one else does it, i'll try again next week!
krista

since MSUCOM is adding 50 people for next years class, do u guys think for those people who have been waitlisted for this year's entering class that if they are not taken off the waitlist and accepted for this year's entering class that they will be taken off the waitlist and be given a spot for next year's entering class for those 50 spots?

I recieved my PIN/PAN numbers yesterday! For some reason, I was really excited :)

Dr.BBasket said:
I recieved my PIN/PAN numbers yesterday! For some reason, I was really excited :)

I had to call to get my pin and pan numbers, but it all worked out. I know its early, but I think I heard something about a meet and greet in April? I'm still trying to decide if I want a single or a roommate. If anyone has heard of any good deals on housing I would definitely appreciate a heads up...I will do the same! See you in July

Quick question guys... do you need a DO recommendation to apply to MSU-COM ? Can any of you point me in the direction of a match list, I'm wondering if DO residencies have the same cut-throat competition as MD ones do in Rads, and surgery, etc...

With how many DO's MSU is graduating lately it looks like the state might be 50% DO physicians pretty soon :D

i don't know where to find the match list either. but . . . you DON'T need a d.o. recommendation to apply. actually, msucom was the only school i applied to where i didn't use a d.o. recommendation. hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't know how many people have it, but i made a myspace page for us. just go under groups, and it's "msucom 2010." i don't know how to do anything fancy with it, but if a lot of us are on we can at least keep in touch that way too. see you at the open house in april!

I am driving up for the meet and greet as well. I hope to see you guys then, too. I signed a lease for Berrytree in early Feb, so that's done. I really cant believe it's getting so close to Orientation. Exciting, right?

kj204 said:
i don't know where to find the match list either. but . . . you DON'T need a d.o. recommendation to apply. actually, msucom was the only school i applied to where i didn't use a d.o. recommendation. hope this helps!

I just found the MSUCOM match results website last night. Here it it: http://www.do-online.osteotech.org/index.cfm?PageID=sir_match06main

You can get exact MSUCOM numbers here: http://www.natmatch.com/aoairp/ . Click "Results" on the left. Then look at "Statistics: Summary by college".

Dr.BBasket said:
I just found the MSUCOM match results website last night. Here it it: http://www.do-online.osteotech.org/index.cfm?PageID=sir_match06main

You can get exact MSUCOM numbers here: http://www.natmatch.com/aoairp/ . Click "Results" on the left. Then look at "Statistics: Summary by college".

I was looking for specific residencies more... anyways you in Indy for the Big Ten Tournament? Are you already a full Sparty or are you still cheering on the Maize and Blue ?

UMP said:
I was looking for specific residencies more... anyways you in Indy for the Big Ten Tournament? Are you already a full Sparty or are you still cheering on the Maize and Blue ?

I live in Indy currently so...Hmmm where do my loyalties lie? For now, let's say the place where I have the greatest amount of loans :) So Wolverine it is!

Hey-- Dont forget to register for Summer Anatomy on Friday :) And did you guys see the new Learning Accessment Lab that opens tomorrow? Impressive :)

Dr.BBasket said:
Hey-- Dont forget to register for Summer Anatomy on Friday :) And did you guys see the new Learning Accessment Lab that opens tomorrow? Impressive :)

I tried to register, but it said although my angel information was valid I was unable to do so at this time. I'm not sure if I was at the correct place or not. Any help would be appreciated!

dhp98 said:
I tried to register, but it said although my angel information was valid I was unable to do so at this time. I'm not sure if I was at the correct place or not. Any help would be appreciated!

To register:
1. Go to this website http://www.reg.msu.edu/roinfo/enrollment.asp and connect to Webenroll.
2. Log-in and everything.
3. Enroll for Summer 2006, for ANTR 511 Section 301.
4. Done

Your official registration wont show up in STUINfo for 24-48 hrs.

~Brandi

Dr.BBasket said:
To register:
1. Go to this website http://www.reg.msu.edu/roinfo/enrollment.asp and connect to Webenroll.
2. Log-in and everything.
3. Enroll for Summer 2006, for ANTR 511 Section 301.
4. Done

Your official registration wont show up in STUINfo for 24-48 hrs.

~Brandi

Thak you it all worked out, and I'm registered now! See you guys in the summer

Thought I'd take the time to welcome you all to MSU.
I hope you'll all enjoy it here as much as I do. The opportunities are limitless at this College, just grab and hold on for the ride. :D

I don't really visit these parts of the forums that often, but I check SDN every so often. Shoot me a PM if you like for a question.

BTW - When you get here in the summer start looking up the Friendship Clinic (http://studentdoctor.com.msu.edu/Friendship/) to get some amazing patient contact. It looks like we'll be expanding the days of operation to every weekend, or at least I'll be pushing for that. The prior Coordinator said that the few students last summer did really well. :thumbup:
Hopefully the site will be updated soon! ;)

Hello again,

This is a general question for everyone involved that could possibly help. Many of you speak of match lists, others of friend clinicals, a few already of internships, or work study what not.... Should this be a great concern for us now? If so, I wass unaware first years get patient contact at all! anyway more information on the subject would be helpful.

Sincerely,

Dreamless

Hey,
I was just wondering if anybody had any idea of when we are going to hear anything from the financial aid people. I am getting this feeling like I should be doing something now after getting all that FAFSA stuff turned in two months ago. If somebody could let me know if I’m missing something I’d really appreciate it.
peace

Madhanit said:
Hey,
I was just wondering if anybody had any idea of when we are going to hear anything from the financial aid people. I am getting this feeling like I should be doing something now after getting all that FAFSA stuff turned in two months ago. If somebody could let me know if I’m missing something I’d really appreciate it.
peace

youll be fine they will submit fianancial aid packages in April, being that they got on me about being slow with my FAFSA... Anyway youll get something soon, otherwise email those mice ladies in the aid office they will always answer your questions promptly...

I can view my financial aid package for Summer in StuInfo. It's been up since a few days ago. Fall/Spring isnt up yet though. Dianne told me it would be up in April, too.

Dreamless said:
Hello again,

This is a general question for everyone involved that could possibly help. Many of you speak of match lists, others of friend clinicals, a few already of internships, or work study what not.... Should this be a great concern for us now? If so, I wass unaware first years get patient contact at all! anyway more information on the subject would be helpful.

Sincerely,

Dreamless

Dreamless,

As a first year you do get some patient contact, but most of it is self-initiated. As part of your Fall semester Doctor-Patient Relationships class, you'll do 3 taped interviews (gather history info, etc) with standardized patients who are hired by MSU. In the Spring of first year, we just did Physicals for the Area 8 Special Olympics, which was good pt contact.

You can also volunteer at the Friendship Clinic starting in the Fall, though I don't know the details. In January, I went to several health screenings put on by MSUCOM and we did blood pressures/glucose/cholesterol checks for ~70 people in the community. Opportunities like that come up every couple months or so.

You can also sign up for electives as a first year to get involved either by shadowing a doc, volunteering at Cristo Rey/Friendship Clinic, etc. Near the end of 1st year, you can also put your name in the hat to work in the free OMM clinic. Anyway, there are some patient encounters for first years if you're interested.

As far as thinking about internships, matches, etc, it's never too early to start thinking about them; I wouldn't be terribly concerned about them yet however. Do keep in mind that by the end of your first year, it's already time to pick your base hospital.

hope some of this was helpful, pm me if I can help w/ other questions or clarify.

raDiOnut, MSUCOM OMS-1

Go MSUCOM!!!! Is anyone going to the Open House? :D

hey, i'll probably be a MSUCHM student in the fall and i just wanted to say that i look forward to hangin with you COM folks (since we'll have some classes together). i've heard the other MD students can be a bunch of stiffs.

The basis of appeal to me is that MSU is one big happy family allopathic and osteos running around in hand in hand in harmony, or something like that. And I lived in Lansing already :D . Radionut, thank you for the info I like getting lists of things to do in order and written down, so thank you for the heads up.

oh yeah, #4 in the nation... why did they let me in again?

j/k go state!

subtle1epiphany said:
BTW - When you get here in the summer start looking up the Friendship Clinic http://studentdoctor.com.msu.edu/Friendship/) to get some amazing patient contact. It looks like we'll be expanding the days of operation to every weekend, or at least I'll be pushing for that. The prior Coordinator said that the few students last summer did really well. :thumbup:
Hopefully the site will be updated soon! ;)
Okay, so I thought that since I'd posted info regarding the clinic, I should take it upon myself to update you guys (still hoping you're interested :D ).
The clinic will remain operating on a two weekends per month schedule, as it has in the past. There will be regular updates letting everyone know when these are. Unfortunately, my e-board has decided to reserve the summer dates for second years as incoming students as a whole don't have clinical skills and won't be able to participate to any great degree. However, once the semester starts, look us up to hone your clinical and doctor-patient skills.
There will be several outreach programs in the community this year, such as health screenings (bp, cholesterol, glucose, ophtho/glaucoma, etc.) so watch for those!
Once again, CONGRATS to all the future physicians of America and welcome to MSU! :D

hi guys,

Unfortunately I was unable to attend the open house… wondering if there is any feedback from those who got to meet our future classmates… :)

Is it worth it to you OOS applicants to attend MSU-COM? Tell me why you feel this way.

nanya said:
hi guys,

Unfortunately I was unable to attend the open house… wondering if there is any feedback from those who got to meet our future classmates… :)

I went to the Open House. The greatest thing I saw was the LAC (Learning Assessment Center). It was so cool, with the computerized maniquins.
Overall, it was ok. It was kind of hard to tell who was an incoming student, and who was an aspiring incoming student. I did get to meet some students though.

It's been kinda quiet on our thread..how's everyone doing? Did you see the orientation schedule for June?

Dr.BBasket said:
It's been kinda quiet on our thread..how's everyone doing? Did you see the orientation schedule for June?

been racing, A LOT, nailed a couple top ten finishes in some bike races, with the latest finish being a 12th place out of 45 in the B spring training series race in A2. I will be racing on the road this weekend in A2 for the cone azalia classic and I may be driving to indianapolis this saturday for a criterium in the early afternoon.

Hopefully I will be able to figure out where the race is.

Oh, and my assistantship with western ended, so I am unemployed.

Dr.BBasket said:

The orientation seems to be pretty in depth for a 3 day event (If I'm not mistaken). Just looking at the lineup has persuaded me to stop partying completely and memmorize my Anatomy book cover to cover. I was wondering though since the bills are due for the summer already... Even though I posted and agreed and accepted the financial aid it hasnt shown up on my bill as of yet. I have also never had financial aid before anyone know how this is supposed to work?

Dreamless said:
The orientation seems to be pretty in depth for a 3 day event (If I'm not mistaken). Just looking at the lineup has persuaded me to stop partying completely and memmorize my Anatomy book cover to cover. I was wondering though since the bills are due for the summer already... Even though I posted and agreed and accepted the financial aid it hasnt shown up on my bill as of yet. I have also never had financial aid before anyone know how this is supposed to work?

I think that I read somewhere that we have to call and have the university apply our financial aid to the bill that is due.

I agree that it is weird that our financial aid is not being applied to our bill

Hey Dreamless,

go to the msu financial aid site and then go to the med student info link.

there is a link for US06 COM admit page. I found this statement on the page.

You will receive your MSU registration bill via email in April for summer 2006 and your payment is due May 3rd (these dates may vary depending on when you enrolled for class). Any financial aid that is “ready” when the bill is processed will appear on the bill either as actual aid or a temporary credit and reduce the amount you owe. Note: if your aid is awarded after the registration bill is processed you can contact the Office of Financial Aid to have aid applied to the bill online.

For those of you who have received finaid,

I keep checking the stuinfo page and it only shows summer. I applied for fall as well, but i'm unsure of how to find out online . Or even if it will show until after Summer courses. Just wondering kind of had me a little worried. I didn't get a chance to call the finaid office today, but I will try tomorrow for sure. Just wondering if anybody else is a\ having a similar experience?

Dave

dhp98 said:
For those of you who have received finaid,

I keep checking the stuinfo page and it only shows summer. I applied for fall as well, but i'm unsure of how to find out online . Or even if it will show until after Summer courses. Just wondering kind of had me a little worried. I didn't get a chance to call the finaid office today, but I will try tomorrow for sure. Just wondering if anybody else is a\ having a similar experience?

Dave

I am worried too, since I applied for 2006-7 year a while ago and when I check my stuinfo it says that I don't have "no fin aid for this aid year"... that's scary...I need to call fin aid people see what's up.

I called financial aid last week about the Fall aid. The lady told me that the fall/spring packages would be done "sometime this summer." I had been told previously that it would be done earlier, so I am still crossing my fingers for that. Now that we registered for Fall/Spring, maybe they can do our packages :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info, I guess i'm not alone in this matter. Hopefully everything will be fine. When are people moving into there apartments? I'm still trying to decide if I want a roommate or not?

Dave

the reason that the financial aid package for the summer is not listed a 06-07 is because it is considered to be 05-06.

called fin aid today, 06-07 aid will show some time this summer, as for 05-06 amt on refund can be seen in Account detail on stuinfo...feel much better now. :)

I am officially moving into my apt june 10th (the great escape from Indy-woohoo). I will prob leave, go to NJ , then come back.

for those of you who shadowed a D.O. in southeast michigan, can you please give me the name, address, email, phone number, whatever you can of that D.O. thanx

Hi Family.

Congrats and welcome to MSUCOM. I am a proud member of the class of 2009 and wanted to offer all of you my opinions, knowledge, assistance, etc. for any questions or concerns that you may have as you begin your transition into medical school. Need help with housing? Have questions about orientation? Want to know about classes? Nothing is taboo. I will answer any and all to the best of my abilities. I look forward to meeting all of you at orientation. Oh, and my advice to ALL of you is simple..... enjoy the rest of your summer as much as possible. Have fun. Travel. Visit relatives. The last thing you want to do is spend your time worrying about Gross Anatomy. You've made it this far, so you'll be fine.