***Official MSUCOM Class of 2010***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Man, seeing all you girly-girls deal with cadavers in anatomy lab is going to be pretty entertaining. Although maybe I shouldn't talk, I guess I have no idea how I'm going to react to all that stuff either.

Out of curiosity, how old are you people? I'm 22.

--Sudheer

Members don't see this ad.

Suds- i said i was a girly girl, not a wimp, lol :)
-just try not to throw up on my shoes, okay? :p 'cause that just wouldnt be cool :laugh: --- and u would mess up my sunshine and clouds theory :)

suds945 said:
Man, seeing all you girly-girls deal with cadavers in anatomy lab is going to be pretty entertaining. Although maybe I shouldn't talk, I guess I have no idea how I'm going to react to all that stuff either.

Out of curiosity, how old are you people? I'm 22.

--Sudheer

well we don't have to wait too long to see how you will react because it is mad soon!

did you already buy your lab coat?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr.BBasket said:
Suds- i said i was a girly girl, not a wimp, lol :)
-just try not to throw up on my shoes, okay? :p 'cause that just wouldnt be cool :laugh: --- and u would mess up my sunshine and clouds theory :)

second that 100% ...

I am 22 too... :luck:

hey guys,

any of the incoming first-years or current first-years know what the situation is with access to the IM buildings on campus for working out? i was a little confused when looking at the website and it almost seemed like students had to pay monthly fees for use of the facilities (kind of like a gold's gym). this seemed a little out-of-the-ordinary so i thought i'd ask. thanks for the help! :D

i think there is a monthly fee for the campus gym. i dont know the actual price though.

bluefanatic said:
hey guys,

any of the incoming first-years or current first-years know what the situation is with access to the IM buildings on campus for working out? i was a little confused when looking at the website and it almost seemed like students had to pay monthly fees for use of the facilities (kind of like a gold's gym). this seemed a little out-of-the-ordinary so i thought i'd ask. thanks for the help! :D

You pay for IM access by semester. I think (not exact on the number) I paid $160ish for Winter/Summer. That should give you access to IM West and East.

Therese

raDiOnut said:
You pay for IM access by semester. I think (not exact on the number) I paid $160ish for Winter/Summer. That should give you access to IM West and East.

Therese

Um, I think you only have to pay for access to the fitness room, not to enter the building. that may have changed from the last time I was here though.

Jon

OMG... It's here!

My life of sleeping until 10 in the morning is now over...

judgehopkins said:
OMG... It's here!

only 10? sometimes i pushed noon! :p

judgehopkins said:
OMG... It's here!

it's not over yet..but it will be on 7/5...hehe
enjoy your last weekend.. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Congradulations everyone on finishing our first official med school exam!!!!

Have fun tonight, doing whatever it is you do!

~Brandi B.

Gross Anat is over..Congradulations everyone...on to the Fall semester now...

Hey how you doing i'm a first year at msucom, i'm wondering where you did your undergrad at? The stats for this years class were 3.5 and around a 25MCAT. I think you'll be fine in the MCAT department, but to be on the safe side you may want to retake it. It seems like your science grades are good, and its definitely a good idea to take some science such as genetics which is not required for acceptance. If you applied early...and your instate, I would say that you have a good chance here at MSUCOM. Just my two cents

Best of luck,

Dave

Hey all,

Hope you don't mind if I ask you guys a question. I was recently accepted to MSU and couldn't be more psyched about it. But now reality sets in and I'm freaked out by how much tuition costs. I'm an out-of-state student and would have to pay $50,000, not counting the living expenses and everything else. Is this figure pretty much correct?

If I could just ask you guys, how are you paying for tuition? Scholarships, loans, military, etc.?

defer your acceptance for a year...move here, get a job, establish a MI residency...pay instate tuition next year...that's most economical way to do it...unless you want to go the military route...

defer your acceptance for a year...move here, get a job, establish a MI residency...pay instate tuition next year...that's most economical way to do it...unless you want to go the military route...

Is this doable at most schools? How do you approach them with it?

Is this doable at most schools? How do you approach them with it?

I can't speak for most schools...on my interview day last year a guy in my group was an out-of-stater and expressed concern about the tuition he'd pay...our director of admissions (kathy schafer) advised him to do this and said others had done the same before...i am no expert on this but i've heard MSU has a bit stricter guidelines on what an "in state resident" is, so if you're thinking about going to schools in other states you really need to check what you need to do to be considered an "in-stater" for them...as for how to address this with admissions--probably just be honest and let them know that their school is your number one choice but you're concerned about the tuition and would like to have the time to become an in state resident...

Hey - I hear your question loud and clear.. The cost for an out of state person is crazy at MSUCOM especially when you consider how much more it is than an in state person. My suggestion would be to put off your admission for a year to establish residency. You can almost pay for two years as an instate vs 1 year for out of state. Every school, and I know for a fact, MSUCOM offers deffered admission. Simply call and say that you wish to defer your admission. During this time, get an address in michigan (probably where you will live during school) and submit an address change to MSUCOM. This way you're in state. Even if you pay $500 a month for an apt you dont use, you're saving yourself like $40k which amounts to about two years of in state $$.. Just a thought, but for a year of freedom, to save yourself like $25k seems like a good idea in the end.

Good luck!

How long does it take to become an in-state resident? Is it usually a year?

Somebody suggested this with regards to WVSOM (which also has a very high out-of-state tuition):

Is it possible to, after one year of paying for the out-of-state tuition, to then change your status as an in-state student? 'Cause technically you've been living in MI for a year then ... Would it then be possible to pay the rest of your three years in MSUCOM as an in-state student?

I don't think this is possible simply because if you use that theory, wouldn't every student be in state after one year? Therefore, it would totally eliminate the out of state tuition thing... I did research since i went to MSU for undergrad.. bascially they are really anal about in state tuition there.. http://www.reg.msu.edu/ROinfo/notices/residency.asp this website tells all about it..

cliffsnotes :

If you're under 24, your residency is where your parents live unless you are full time employed (40hrs/week) during school. OR you have to OWN property in Michigan.

Pretty intense. I would say stick with the take a year off thing.. because if you try to slide past and get caught... they might stick you with back tuition which isn't very fun..

hope this helps.