***Official NYU C/O 2012 Acceptance Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wonder if our bodies will be shipped in off the streets of China too:eek:

Interesting question. I wonder if the bodies come with an origin certificate of some kind. I also wonder if NYU gets new plastinations each year or if they bought X number a few years ago and use the same ones over and over for each class.

Members don't see this ad.

honestly I would certainly expect the excessive work load. of course they need all that info to pave the way for 3rd year. I remember my first year of graduate school I felt the same way. Its just the difference between undergrad and real school.
yes I hear lots of people complain that NYU is "weeding them out to make way for the international students." Frankly, I'm ok with that. If you cant do the work to make the grades, then by all means, dental school is not the place. Again, this sounds exactly what all my first year PhD classmates were saying. Unfortunately, brightness and work ethic are not related at all. In fact I find that they tend to work against each other.
Some people go to NYU because they didn't get in anywhere else. Some people go bc they see the comparatively lower GPA averages and figure it'll be a bit easier. some people go to live it up in NYC.
I'm in the DC area and I hear the exact same thing from people going to Howard. Its different expectations and you should absolutely expect to feel overwhelmed at the beginning. I mean they straight out tell you that professional school should be like having one, if not two, full time jobs. You're SUPPOSED to spend well over 40 hrs a week working on it.
I have friends ask me about my graduate program too. Of course I sit here and basically just bitch about the work load and how my thesis is falling to pieces etc. we all do. Its hard work. But at the same time I know I've learned SOO much more than I could have imagined before. And frankly I sit here wondering how much time I wasted in undergrad and how I could have possibly spent 3 yrs and that much money in the same field without learning all the stuff I know now. If it were easy, the whole world would be dentists ya know?
Did you specifically ASK them about certain areas or did you just go "so what do you guys think about NYU?" What makes you think the workload will be any less at another school. or more importanly, what makes you think the workload SHOULD be less at other schools?
Did you ask them if they felt it was easy to get involved in research? or if they had easy access to help and private time with professors if they had questions? or if they felt they were all being pegged as GPs or were they give ample opportunities and pathways to being pursuing specialties? are professors not considerate of their other classes? Is the syllabus changed often (bc otherwise, they knew what the workload would be going into the class)? Are they unable to get into clinics or labs within reasonable hours based on their schedule? Are they unable to get enough patients to satisfy their quota per procedure? Are they restricted from watching higher level procedures just because of their class designation?

I mean, I'd be worried if everybody thought the workload was so easy. Admittedly, I do have a couple of friends there who DO go out and party virtually every weekend and manage to get good grades too.

If youre in NYC, then go sit in at lecture (ask for visitor ID first so the Po Po doesnt throw you out) and talk to a wider array of students that youre small sampling of friends who likely have similar study habits or expectations.

i'm definately gonna visit NYU again and speak with more students, thanks!!
and goodluck!
-dan

He "makes" the bodies? Is he a god ....(this is coming from an Atheist mind you)?

I'm asking, where do the specimens that are plastinated come from?

And on a total side note, anybody been to the body farm in north carolina?

Sorry Pyriots, but my post wasn't meant to answer your question. It was just a general statement. The website claims that, for ethical reasons, they never plastinate a body that was not explicitly donated. There are competing exhibits that have been known to use executed chinese prisoners and unidentified bodies but Gunther von Hagens claims that he will never use a body that hasn't been donated.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm definately gonna visit NYU again and speak with more students, thanks!!
and goodluck!
-dan

Hi Dan,
Just thought I'd give you some feedback on NYU as well. I have two friends that both attended NYUCOD and graduated in 2005. My good friend that I took several undergrad classes with thought that NYU wasn't that hard, yes you had to work at it but it was definitely doable. However my other friend, whom I stayed with while I interviewed (he's a 3rd year ortho guy now), put the fear of God into me about the work load. He stated that several of his friends didn't make it to their second and third years because they failed out. He told me that it was an extremely trying and rough time the first two years and that many people just don't make it.

I'm going to make it through while being a single parent, so if I can make it...anyone can. It just depends on how bad you want it, and what you're willing to sacrifice to make it through. Some people have to sacrifice less, some more. Good luck to you Dan.

Jason

Where are the best places to live. All I want is to be affordable and close....hahah obviously they ARE mutually exclusive lol but I'd really appreciat suggestions. I'd like to know which are the nicer/safer neighborhoods. I really don't care about where the night life is or stuff like that. I'm looking to find a 1 br appt that I will be most likely be sharing with my GF who will be moving to NY with me. A place right in mannhattan would be great but so far I don't know what neighborhoods etc that are close to NYUCD.

I was in NYC in late Feb but only for 1 week and didn't really get to know the place that well, it's way too huge. Some help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My dad and stepmom live in Jersey city and I'm considering renting there, just cause it's a little less $$$ and not that far. Any thoguhts?

Thanks!

I think NYUCD is in gramercy.

Use this for neighborhoods of NYC: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/neighbor/neighe.shtml

anything around 6 in that map is close to NYUCD (Gramercy, Stuy, and Murray Hill)

your other alternative is to just use google map as a reference of proximity between the address of the place for rent and NYUCD.

My dad and stepmom live in Jersey city and I'm considering renting there, just cause it's a little less $$$ and not that far. Any thoguhts?

Thanks!

a commute from Queens or Brooklyn would probably be easier than to NJ because they are connected to manhatten by mass transit. Just food for thought. I guess you need to decide how much you are comfortable commuting and for how long.

a commute from Queens or Brooklyn would probably be easier than to NJ because they are connected to manhatten by mass transit. Just food for thought. I guess you need to decide how much you are comfortable commuting and for how long.

Thanks! I recall people saying that Astoria is a decent place in Brooklyn, any other suggestions?

A lot of places I see listed on craigs doesn't give the address so google hasn't helped much.

There are a TON of rentals in the Inwood and Wash Hts areas...any ideas why? I recall reading that they are not the best plces...

Inwood and Washington Heights are on the way, way, way, upper west side of manhattan - that commute could end up taking you over an hour. You're better off in Astoria or Brooklyn or NJ etc.

Inwood and Washington Heights are on the way, way, way, upper west side of manhattan - that commute could end up taking you over an hour. You're better off in Astoria or Brooklyn or NJ etc.

Thanks!

Simply by looking on the google map it's a bit decepticve, a commute of comparable distance would be no big deal here in Alberta...

at first, i wanted to live in queens to save money because rent would be approximately 700 for myself with a roommate. If you look at grammercy or murray hill, rent can get as low as 1000 per person with a few roommates. so look into that if you mind commuting.

also, it would be cool if we all choose to live in the same apartment building. then we can live in apartments across the hall way like Friends. =)

"So no one told you life was going to be this way.
Your job's a joke, you're broke, you're love life's DOA..."

at first, i wanted to live in queens to save money because rent would be approximately 700 for myself with a roommate. If you look at grammercy or murray hill, rent can get as low as 1000 per person with a few roommates. so look into that if you mind commuting.

also, it would be cool if we all choose to live in the same apartment building. then we can live in apartments across the hall way like Friends. =)

LOL!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody visiting NY again to search for Apartments before moving over there? If not, how are you guys going about getting and checking out the apartment before hand?

Anybody visiting NY again to search for Apartments before moving over there? If not, how are you guys going about getting and checking out the apartment before hand?

I'll probably make a trip out there in early July to search for an apartment and sign a least for an August 1 move in date.

1. I'm disappointed in you all for letting our thread fall to the bottom of the second page!

2. Did everyone who applied to the research program get the email today stating that we have to write 2 essays in the next 2 weeks!?!

1. I'm disappointed in you all for letting our thread fall to the bottom of the second page!

2. Did everyone who applied to the research program get the email today stating that we have to write 2 essays in the next 2 weeks!?!

2. yeah, I've got the same email.

:eek::eek: thought we didnt have to write it!!

Are you guys setting up housing situations together through SDN? If so, let me get in on this. I would love to live with other D1s my first year, have help looking for places in Manhattan (or any surrounding area), and shave off as much rent as possible.

what are the essays about?

Hey,

If you need a roommate for a place in Gramercy at that kind of price, you should definitely be PMing me.

I'm finding looking for apartments right now kind of depressing. Namely bc I keep finding nice places but I'm not going to be ready to move til August or late July so its kind of a waste.

Are you guys setting up housing situations together through SDN? If so, let me get in on this. I would love to live with other D1s my first year, have help looking for places in Manhattan (or any surrounding area), and shave off as much rent as possible.

I believe there's an NYUCOD 2012 roomate search facebook group. I think there are already a handful of members/ people trying to find roomates and housing together.

what are the essays about?

1) a statement explaining how you plan to integrate research into your future as a dentist.

2) a statement that specifically identifies the kind of research (topic, be it broad or specific) or mentor you’d like to be involved with this summer (check the NYUCD website for more information on current research projects).

After much deliberation I have decided to attend NYU. I am pretty stoked and can't wait till the end of summer. I look forward to meeting all the D1 student and starting this new phase of my life. I'm from the DC area and I visit NYC often. I'm into the whole EDM scene, so NYC fits my lifestyle perfectly.

Its a shame my 9-5 job now is boring....the money is good.....but workign in a cubikle just sux.....my boss told me today she likes to "keep it real" :confused:

Anyways....its seems a bit too early to look for housing but I would love to room with other D1 students and embark on this journey together.

I believe there's an NYUCOD 2012 roomate search facebook group. I think there are already a handful of members/ people trying to find roomates and housing together.

pyriots and rightangle, theres a roomate search on facebook.

rightangle, what is EDM?

pyriots and rightangle, theres a roomate search on facebook.

rightangle, what is EDM?

Do you have a link for that facebook group? When I run a search there are SOO many hits and most of them look like a waste of time or has been otherwise hijacked by the thousands of little high school punks on facebook (not such a big fan of facebook these days myself).

Do you know which group most of the grad/dental etc ppl seem to be posting on?

Thanks

NYU people! I have one more day to decide if I want to switch my allegiance to your school, and drop BU. In your opinion, what can NYU offer over BU, in all honesty. I'd really appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

hey tamkhan, check out pyriots posts over the last two pages answering dantheman's question, she does a good job summerizing all the pros of NYU.

I cancelled my interview at BU once i got into NYU. While BU seems to be going in the wrong direction, NYU is headed in the right direction. New facilities, faculty, new dean ( the consensus on these forums is that he is wonderful), no shortage of patients, best technology. The school is going to be among the top dental school in a few years, if it keeps doing what it has been doing. The price tag of both schools is similar, so why spend more money on a school with more problems. Plus you will have the opportunity to network due to larger class size, alumni network, and all the dentists in the city.

I know the whole UAE thing influences your decision heavily, but with NYU opening a campus in the same country as well, getting a job should not be a problem. Any american degree, especially one from a university known worldwide will help you to get a job.

just my 2 cents, im sure there are more reasons to attend.

hey tamkhan, check out pyriots posts over the last two pages answering dantheman's question, she does a good job summerizing all the pros of NYU.

I cancelled my interview at BU once i got into NYU. While BU seems to be going in the wrong direction, NYU is headed in the right direction. New facilities, faculty, new dean ( the consensus on these forums is that he is wonderful), no shortage of patients, best technology. The school is going to be among the top dental school in a few years, if it keeps doing what it has been doing. The price tag of both schools is similar, so why spend more money on a school with more problems. Plus you will have the opportunity to network due to larger class size, alumni network, and all the dentists in the city.

I know the whole UAE thing influences your decision heavily, but with NYU opening a campus in the same country as well, getting a job should not be a problem. Any american degree, especially one from a university known worldwide will help you to get a job.

to add on to the pros, you get to meet us. any school that can't reach page 10 on sdn fails. :)

i also believe bu is slighty more exp to live around, although commuting from a nearby suburb might not be bad at all

this is exactly why i cancelled my intervews at other schools :thumbup:

Thanks a lot for the info guys. Really appreciate it.:)

Look under the group pic and click the request to join link.

Just got a phone call today!...I will be attenfing NYU!!.:D:D

ANyone else from GA going to NYU?

just came back from break to an acceptance letter!!! see you in nyu next year

ok ladies and gents, time to bring back the mega list in light of all the new sdners attending NYUCD:

congrats to all those recently accepted and hopefully we will get more before August. :thumbup:

attn: curls and lonely sol, i took the liberty of adding your names since you have indicated you are attending, if this is incorrect or you change your minds, just remove your names. Anyone i missed, please add your name to the list.

musl85
MJM565
udonzilla
cymbidium
moralbrain
goonda
phamdh23 (Dennis Huy Pham)
Ewok1984
Hyphae
predental1984
tejloo
keving
porkchop2
714guy (jason cao)
tingteenfone (william ting)
wtf3388
Vapor1122 (Jared Miller)
chuchudentist
Mrsoccerpro (Jordan Martin)
dkroner
andrew0k
Sephisabin
Motormouth (Andrew)
bob81575 (Bob)
curls1104
Lonely Sol

Hey, good luck to you guys applying for summer research -- we're going to have a blast this summer.

And as added incentive, a little birdy told me that Mets tickets are available through NYU for 2 bucks a pop! I plan on spending as much of my stipend as possible on summer baseball -- New York's where old Sox go to die (although I still love me some Pedro).

Did anyone hear from NYU housing??? Is anyone planning on doing the res thing???

congrats on the acceptances!

Anyone know if they do any family housing on campus? My gf is going to come with me to NY. I just want to see what my options are. Also what sort of info do they send in the packages? Thanks.

congrats on the acceptances!

Anyone know if they do any family housing on campus? My gf is going to come with me to NY. I just want to see what my options are. Also what sort of info do they send in the packages? Thanks.

They don't offer married/ family/ girlfriend/ boyfriend.. whatever housing. Start searching Craigslist!

ok ladies and gents, time to bring back the mega list in light of all the new sdners attending NYUCD:

congrats to all those recently accepted and hopefully we will get more before August. :thumbup:

attn: curls and lonely sol, i took the liberty of adding your names since you have indicated you are attending, if this is incorrect or you change your minds, just remove your names. Anyone i missed, please add your name to the list.

Thanks for the add...Appreciate it!

So..Does anyone have more info on loan?!..