***Official NYU C/O 2012 Acceptance Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok so there was this page in there that says the following...

To secure your admission in the dental program, you need to meet all of the following conditions:

-Obtain a BA/BS degree by Aug 1 08 if not already obtained. This includes the successful completion of all prereq courses by NYUCD
An official degree-noted transcript must be submitted
-Maintain a satisfactory academic record that is expected to be of the same high standard as those upon which we based your acceptance.
-Meet all applicable deadlines

and then ig goes on about the fees etc...

so my Q is this,

I have completed my BS degree last year, and was taking a couple courses in the fall for personal interest (I didn't want to have to get a job in the real world :D) and a few more in the winter term. None of these had anything to do with any prereqs, those were all met in the degree...

In the fall I decided to withdraw from a statistics class becasue it really wasn't anything that I thought it was supposed to be an wasn't enjoying it.

Then in the begining of Jan of this year I decided that staying in school and shelling out more $$$ just to put off growing up:D was a bad idea and I dropped all classes and have been working.

The thing is that as far as I know the aadsas and NYU have all my info from early september when plans were that I was still taking Statistics and enrolled for winter semester....but none of these courses were of any significance to my application...

So is this page they included a conditional or unconditional acceptance?

Forgot to add that I had my interview on Feb 25 and just got my acceptance letter today, so it's not like I ditched all my courses cause I knew that I was in....

the SAFEST thing is to do and call them and explain your situation... I doubt you'd want to take some anonymous person's word on SDN for it... call them and find out! My personal feeling is that it should be OK...but call to make sure!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you are fine. Just send in the deposit, and send in your degree paper. As long as you have all pre reqs taken care of, and you have a degree, you'll be fine. People drop courses all the time. If you contact them now, you might draw unwanted attention to your file. Just let it be. If they ask you in the future, you can explain your situation.

hey guys, do they only send out acceptances on friday's and monday's? I was wondering if they send out acceptance letters during the week also?

Members don't see this ad :)
eek. thats creepy. it sounds like shes going to eat my brain when im sleeping. :scared:

I love how you can only have 1 guest at a time and your guest has to wear bells too!

I can't wait to move back to crazy NYC.

Hey everyone! I'm bringing the list back...

musl85
MJM565
udonzilla
cymbidium
moralbrain
goonda
phamdh23 (Dennis Huy Pham)
Ewok1984
Hyphae
predental1984
tejloo
keving
porkchop2
714guy (jason cao)
tingteenfone (william ting)
wtf3388
Vapor1122 (Jared Miller)
chuchudentist
Mrsoccerpro (Jordan Martin)
dkroner
andrew0k
Sephisabin

Anyone looked at places to live? I was looking up some places in Gramercy (4 to 5 blocks from school) and was considering some of the 2 or 3 bedrooms they have for under 1500 a person...

Hey everyone! I'm bringing the list back...

Anyone looked at places to live? I was looking up some places in Gramercy (4 to 5 blocks from school) and was considering some of the 2 or 3 bedrooms they have for under 1500 a person...

That sounds like a good deal, let me know if you end up doing that.

I love how you can only have 1 guest at a time and your guest has to wear bells too!

I can't wait to move back to crazy NYC.

where are you living right now cymbidium?

where are you living right now cymbidium?

West side of LA (Culver City).

Are we facebook friends? I think we are. Im the girl with the red hat under a "rubbish" sign.

Are we facebook friends? I think we are. Im the girl with the red hat under a "rubbish" sign.

wow! I am in Culver City as well, what a small world! I work in santa monica and VA hospital on wilshire. Still have to take another english class next quarter for nyu's pre-req >.<

Members don't see this ad :)
That sounds like a good deal, let me know if you end up doing that.

I'll be living in Gramercy park and looking for a female roommate. I'll have my daughter with me, so it could be a good deal for someone looking to pay a little bit less than normal. If anyone's interested, pm me.

wow! I am in Culver City as well, what a small world! I work in santa monica and VA hospital on wilshire. Still have to take another english class next quarter for nyu's pre-req >.<

I used to live in Culver City as well off the 405 freeway =) West LA is awesome:D

okay, now we are facebook friends.

I love Culver City- has everything you need: movie theater, restaurants, gym, grocery stores, entrance to 405 and the 10 beach a few miles away....

I'll be living in Gramercy park and looking for a female roommate. I'll have my daughter with me, so it could be a good deal for someone looking to pay a little bit less than normal. If anyone's interested, pm me.

Wow! I'm very impressed that you'll be able to go to school full time while trying to take care of a child! How old is she?

musl85
MJM565
udonzilla
cymbidium
moralbrain
goonda
Ewok1984
Hyphae
predental1984
tejloo
keving
porkchop2
714guy (jason cao)
wtf3388
Vapor1122 (Jared Miller)
chuchudentist
dkroner
andrew0k
Sephisabin
Motormouth (Andrew)

nice to see the list growing once again. Congrats on all who recently got accepted. Please also join the NYUCD 2012 facebook group if you have not already done so :thumbup:

nice to see the list growing once again. Congrats on all who recently got accepted. Please also join the NYUCD 2012 facebook group if you have not already done so :thumbup:

I'll join once Internet Exploreer stops freezing every time I visit the facebook page:rolleyes:

hi guys ,I was accepted recently in nyucd class of 2011 ,I am a foreign dentist and I have a green card.I filled out a fafsa in early january .do u guys know when they give u the first check ,how much they give u and how often ?that would be a great help because I need to move out but I dont have the money yet.Thanks guys.

I'll join once Internet Exploreer stops freezing every time I visit the facebook page:rolleyes:

yeah see, thats your problem right there. go to mozilla.com and download firefox. i honestly don't know a single person that uses Internet Explorer anymore (except for my mother perhaps).

unfortunately, if you uninstall IE entirely, it tends to screw up your computer pretty badly. but you can delete all the icons so its really hard for you to use it accidently

So I'm surfing Craigslist for apartment ideas.

anybody want to apt hunt with me?

I am
Female. Non smoker. No drama. Outdoorsy.....but we'll be in NYC so what does that matter right? Very clean. Have med/large dog (see previous posts).

I prefer to live with.
Females (males ok but generally have had an easier time living with females in the past). Must be non smoker. Again, no drama. I do not want to turn into someone's Dr. Phil (has happened in the past) or let your problems affect my grades.
Other pets are perfectly fine.
any and all religions, sexual preferences, etc are fine.
of course we're students. so I'd rather not have drunken parties every weekend. but sometimes is totally cool =)

Looking for as close to NYU as possible. have a pretty open range as far as rent is concerned. I figure I'll be so broke anyway, whats a few hundred more if the place is really convenient to campus?

Here's some places that have come up so far. Haven't really pursued any of them bc I'm not looking to move in until August 1st.
oh and I don't care about whether or not an apartment has a gym, pool, dog run, all those extra etc. its nice but no big deal if we find a places that isn't like that.

it looks like this complex has a lot of places available. if its actually as close as they claim, I think its a pretty good deal.
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/nfb/606956353.html
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/nfb/606416266.html

Oh. and since I'm sure there are lots of us apartment hunting, is there anywhere else we should go to do this? do you think it warrants us starting out own thread or is there a better site to look for sane roommates on? Been to roomster and all that....ended up with some nut cases. My current school has their own "roommate set up" web site but of course we dont have out NYU ID numbers or anything like that to access NYUs site (I think they do have one). Ideas?

You can use the NYU Housing, you have to setup your NetID first though. I have mine setup and am looking to move in Aug 1st as well. I'll shoot ya a pm. Nice leg work so far Pyriots!

just becareful, NYU has its main campus around W4 street, close to lafayette. NYUCD is on 24th or 25th street. It is uptown from those apartments. It is still close, but not a few blocks away type distance.

yeah see, thats your problem right there. go to mozilla.com and download firefox. i honestly don't know a single person that uses Internet Explorer anymore (except for my mother perhaps).

unfortunately, if you uninstall IE entirely, it tends to screw up your computer pretty badly. but you can delete all the icons so its really hard for you to use it accidently

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your mom!:mad: :D

I'm not big into the computers thing, I just use what it came with:oops: I might end up switching if I get really annoyed... I just hate having to set everythign up again, I have a zillion favorites linked etc...

Thanks for the suggestion anyways:thumbup:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your mom!:mad: :D

I'm not big into the computers thing, I just use what it came with:oops: I might end up switching if I get really annoyed... I just hate having to set everythign up again, I have a zillion favorites linked etc...

Thanks for the suggestion anyways:thumbup:

FYI, your favorites, bookmarks etc automatically transfer into firefox.

its not THAT techy at all. its like the difference between people who use AOL and those who don't. I mean really, who pays for AOL unless they simply dont know better right?

just becareful, NYU has its main campus around W4 street, close to lafayette. NYUCD is on 24th or 25th street. It is uptown from those apartments. It is still close, but not a few blocks away type distance.

THanks,

I actually was aware of that bc I just google maps all the places I come across for actual distances. But I figure at least I'll be near their gym and library access even if its the wrong campus.

ANybody have tips on how to set up my NYU netID? I just sent in my deposit last week so I'm fairly sure its simply too early otherwise I'd be able to figure it out on my own. How long do you guys figure until I'm in their system and can set up the ID?

THanks,

I actually was aware of that bc I just google maps all the places I come across for actual distances. But I figure at least I'll be near their gym and library access even if its the wrong campus.

ANybody have tips on how to set up my NYU netID? I just sent in my deposit last week so I'm fairly sure its simply too early otherwise I'd be able to figure it out on my own. How long do you guys figure until I'm in their system and can set up the ID?

haha, i used google maps too. I had no clue that they show subway stations on the maps, real useful for NYC commuting :thumbup:.

as for netid took me 1-2 weeks after i sent my initial deposit to get access. Just keep trying.

just got my acceptance letter today!

so stoked!!!!!!!

now I need to start looking for places to live.........

musl85
MJM565
udonzilla
cymbidium
moralbrain
goonda
Ewok1984
Hyphae
predental1984
tejloo
keving
porkchop2
714guy (jason cao)
wtf3388
Vapor1122 (Jared Miller)
chuchudentist
dkroner
andrew0k
Sephisabin
Motormouth (Andrew)
bob81575 (Bob)

Adding myself to the list :) I was accepted December 1st but have just finalized my decision and will be sending my second deposit later this week.

Congratulations to everyone else attending NYU. I am stoked about living in NYC for the next four years and look forward to meeting everyone. Apartment hunting to begin shortly:)

Cheers,

Bob

hi all,

i'd like to know if NYU is anyone's first choice.
Could u please share your reasons for choosing NYU besides for the location. (i'm from NY, so NY doesnt excite me as it does for a californian)
I got accepted elsewhere and just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything important from NYU's list of pros.
thanks,
dan

If you don't mind the cost and class size, I think NYU is the place to be =)

Oh I forgot to list some of my reasons..

-State of the art facility
-Awesome program
-Strong in both academic and clinic
Etc...

Oh I forgot to list some of my reasons..

-State of the art facility
-Awesome program
-Strong in both academic and clinic
Etc...

a lot of schools have state of the art facilities, and most schools are great academically and clinically. i never thought of NYU as having a great academic program. clinically, they are awesome.
what do u mean by awesome program?
thanks for ur input
cost and class size are two really big cons. i need a big pro to outweigh these two.

a lot of schools have state of the art facilities, and most schools are great academically and clinically. i never thought of NYU as having a great academic program. clinically, they are awesome.
what do u mean by awesome program?
thanks for ur input
cost and class size are two really big cons. i need a big pro to outweigh these two.

Class size frankly doesnt matter. you get split into two groups so you never have more than a 100 ppl in a lecture anyway. and thats basically how many you have in other schools 80-100.
cost. well whatever. you're going to be broke anyway. what 100k more on top of that. long term, its absolutely negligible.
this is about your education. if youre worried about costs, then no, you shouldnt go to NYU. its expensive bc they can offer you lots of crazy stuff.
only about 8-9 schools that I'm aware of truly have "State of the art facilities". as in computer integrated (bc you will be legally required to submit insurance and other data by computer within several years), employ technology to vastly improve sanitation, and ergonomically designed. many other schools are currently under renovation to get such things but no, lots of places dont have state of the art facilities. they might be pretty, but thats not functionally state of the art.
if you look at NYUs curriculum, they have several procedures and components that are required to be taught that you wouldnt learn at all in many other schools and in fact would prob have to take CE courses for in the future.
You won't find an aesthetics program like they have anywhere else.
you won't find an oral HIV research program on the caliber of their anywhere else (they were the founding institution for this to begin with)
they will emphasize oral cancer and head and neck squamous cell carcinoma screening and treatment more than most other schools by far.

if you want to go be a general dentist and seal teeth all day and basically do what your oral hygienist does, well then no, this stuff doesnt matter. and in that case, you WOULD have a hard time paying off your loans.

your question isn't an easy one and its one YOU need to answer for yourself. if you're not interested in the things that NYU is known for, then dont go there. its changed a LOT in the past 20 yrs. my mother went there too and she was surprised. so i certainly wouldnt take the word of any older dentists for it.

and yeah, if you dont think you can cut in in NYC, then NYU isnt for you either.

Frankly, have you interviewed? did you like it? why didn't you ask the other D2-D4s at the interview these questions? If you dont want to go, then dont. plenty of other people do and you're taking their seat.

Class size frankly doesnt matter. you get split into two groups so you never have more than a 100 ppl in a lecture anyway. and thats basically how many you have in other schools 80-100.
cost. well whatever. you're going to be broke anyway. what 100k more on top of that. long term, its absolutely negligible.
this is about your education. if youre worried about costs, then no, you shouldnt go to NYU. its expensive bc they can offer you lots of crazy stuff.
only about 8-9 schools that I'm aware of truly have "State of the art facilities". as in computer integrated (bc you will be legally required to submit insurance and other data by computer within several years), employ technology to vastly improve sanitation, and ergonomically designed. many other schools are currently under renovation to get such things but no, lots of places dont have state of the art facilities. they might be pretty, but thats not functionally state of the art.
if you look at NYUs curriculum, they have several procedures and components that are required to be taught that you wouldnt learn at all in many other schools and in fact would prob have to take CE courses for in the future.
You won't find an aesthetics program like they have anywhere else.
you won't find an oral HIV research program on the caliber of their anywhere else (they were the founding institution for this to begin with)
they will emphasize oral cancer and head and neck squamous cell carcinoma screening and treatment more than most other schools by far.

if you want to go be a general dentist and seal teeth all day and basically do what your oral hygienist does, well then no, this stuff doesnt matter. and in that case, you WOULD have a hard time paying off your loans.

your question isn't an easy one and its one YOU need to answer for yourself. if you're not interested in the things that NYU is known for, then dont go there. its changed a LOT in the past 20 yrs. my mother went there too and she was surprised. so i certainly wouldnt take the word of any older dentists for it.

and yeah, if you dont think you can cut in in NYC, then NYU isnt for you either.

Frankly, have you interviewed? did you like it? why didn't you ask the other D2-D4s at the interview these questions? If you dont want to go, then dont. plenty of other people do and you're taking their seat.

thanks for the time to write all this.
i have 3 friends in NYU now, two are 2nd years and one is a first year and all they do is complain about the school. They do give reasons as to why they are unhappy; one major one is the load of work they throw at you in the first two years to pave the way for the 3rd year in clinics.
they are bright students and are having a hard time coping. they feel like NYU is trying to weed them out.
I havent gotten any positive feedback from them so thats why i am turning to this forum for advice

i have 3 friends in NYU now, two are 2nd years and one is a first year and all they do is complain about the school. They do give reasons as to why they are unhappy; one major one is the load of work they throw at you in the first two years to pave the way for the 3rd year in clinics.
they are bright students and are having a hard time coping. they feel like NYU is trying to weed them out.
I havent gotten any positive feedback from them so thats why i am turning to this forum for advice

I'm not sure how helpful this will be, but here is an email I received from someone who graduated last year:

So what can I say about NYU. I had a great time there, and I feel
that I got a great education. It's a very big school. Our freshman year
class was about 220. In the beginning of our 2nd year, we had about 110 foreign dentists join our
class. It's called the Advanced Placement program, AP for short. It's a
program offered by only a few dental schools in the country where foreign
dentists who want to get licensed in the US take a 3 year program, our years
2-4. I don't think the work was that hard. I never was a great student in
college, you can ask Josh about that, but in dental school, I felt it was
just a matter of putting in the time. Don't get me wrong, there were times
in my first two years that I was absolutely miserable with all the studying
I had to do. Studying late nights, having to get to an 8:00am lecture, then
putting in anywhere from 5-8 hours on a Saturday or Sunday. I felt like I
was never around to see my wife or daughter my first 2 years. But like
anything else, when you're done with it, you look back and think, "wow, that
wasn't that bad". The faculty as a whole are great. Very approachable,
they truly love teaching, and I think that we were taught by some of the
great minds in their fields. The tests are fair, the faculty will always
make sure you know what they're going to test you on. They don't typically
throw curveballs at you. As far as the administration, you have to
understand that it is a huge school. Over 1200 undergraduate students, a
hygiene program, and post graduate specialty programs in every specialty.
So sometimes you feel like just a number, but if you make an effort, you can
have individual relationships with almost anyone at the school. The
facility is great, they're in the process of updating all of the clinics
now. The clinical experience you get in years 3 and 4 is great. The
clinical faculty are excellent. You get the chance to do a little bit of
alot of procedures. You have to understand that it's dental school, and
when you come out, you are not going to be very efficient clinically, and
that's just b/c you only see 2 or 3 patients a day, b/c you still have
classes, and other commitments.

So overall, I was very happy with my time at NYU, it's a big school, very
diverse student body, great education, and you can still have fun and enjoy
being a newlywed in NYC.

I hope that was helpful.

Also - here's an email from an adjunct professor at UCLA:

PS I am very familiar with NYU and out of the schools you mentioned, that would be my number one choice. No question about it. Even over Penn.

I never got an answer WHY, so take this for what it's worth.

honestly I would certainly expect the excessive work load. of course they need all that info to pave the way for 3rd year. I remember my first year of graduate school I felt the same way. Its just the difference between undergrad and real school.
yes I hear lots of people complain that NYU is "weeding them out to make way for the international students." Frankly, I'm ok with that. If you cant do the work to make the grades, then by all means, dental school is not the place. Again, this sounds exactly what all my first year PhD classmates were saying. Unfortunately, brightness and work ethic are not related at all. In fact I find that they tend to work against each other.
Some people go to NYU because they didn't get in anywhere else. Some people go bc they see the comparatively lower GPA averages and figure it'll be a bit easier. some people go to live it up in NYC.
I'm in the DC area and I hear the exact same thing from people going to Howard. Its different expectations and you should absolutely expect to feel overwhelmed at the beginning. I mean they straight out tell you that professional school should be like having one, if not two, full time jobs. You're SUPPOSED to spend well over 40 hrs a week working on it.
I have friends ask me about my graduate program too. Of course I sit here and basically just bitch about the work load and how my thesis is falling to pieces etc. we all do. Its hard work. But at the same time I know I've learned SOO much more than I could have imagined before. And frankly I sit here wondering how much time I wasted in undergrad and how I could have possibly spent 3 yrs and that much money in the same field without learning all the stuff I know now. If it were easy, the whole world would be dentists ya know?
Did you specifically ASK them about certain areas or did you just go "so what do you guys think about NYU?" What makes you think the workload will be any less at another school. or more importanly, what makes you think the workload SHOULD be less at other schools?
Did you ask them if they felt it was easy to get involved in research? or if they had easy access to help and private time with professors if they had questions? or if they felt they were all being pegged as GPs or were they give ample opportunities and pathways to being pursuing specialties? are professors not considerate of their other classes? Is the syllabus changed often (bc otherwise, they knew what the workload would be going into the class)? Are they unable to get into clinics or labs within reasonable hours based on their schedule? Are they unable to get enough patients to satisfy their quota per procedure? Are they restricted from watching higher level procedures just because of their class designation?

I mean, I'd be worried if everybody thought the workload was so easy. Admittedly, I do have a couple of friends there who DO go out and party virtually every weekend and manage to get good grades too.

If youre in NYC, then go sit in at lecture (ask for visitor ID first so the Po Po doesnt throw you out) and talk to a wider array of students that youre small sampling of friends who likely have similar study habits or expectations.