***Official NYU C/O 2012 Acceptance Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They don't offer married/ family/ girlfriend/ boyfriend.. whatever housing. Start searching Craigslist!

Thanks!

Any idea if they provide services to international students and their GF's with immigtation type help?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks!

Any idea if they provide services to international students and their GF's with immigtation type help?

I'm not sure about that. If you join our facebook group you can probably get some good answers from some of the folks on there. I THINK there's even a "Canadians at NYU Dental" group or something like that.

this is kinda a stupid question.
i called nyu to ask them about housing on campus. and the guy told me, 'housing for each term is from sept-may'....but don't we start in august and end like in july? where are we going to live before and after school starts? lol.
also, what are we going to do one entire week after orientation and before class?

Members don't see this ad :)
everyone send in their 2nd deposits yet? anyone hear anything after turning in their fafsa?

Sorry if this is a repost but was wondering if there is facebook group for us!?

Sorry if this is a repost but was wondering if there is facebook group for us!?

there sure is!
time to combine the list and the facebook link?

musl85
MJM565
udonzilla
cymbidium
moralbrain
goonda
phamdh23 (Dennis Huy Pham)
Ewok1984
Hyphae
predental1984
tejloo
keving
porkchop2
714guy (jason cao)
tingteenfone (william ting)
wtf3388
Vapor1122 (Jared Miller)
chuchudentist
Mrsoccerpro (Jordan Martin)
dkroner
andrew0k
Sephisabin
Motormouth (Andrew)
bob81575 (Bob)
curls1104
Lonely Sol

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7450252081

I'm a member of the "New York University College of Dentistry, Class of 2012!
" is this the right group?

I'm a member of the "New York University College of Dentistry, Class of 2012!
" is this the right group?

Yea...I think they are the same!

Anyways..i am thinking about getting an apt in astoria...anyone else stayin there?

I am also accepted to NYU. My best friend is accepted to BU, and we are spending a lot of time together before starting dental school! Actually we were comparing our Admission packet last month, and I noticed BU ask accepted students to submit Dean's Certificate. I did not see it in my NYU Admission Packet. I wonder if NYU request Dean's certificate or basically not every school requires such a thing. It seems BU has lots of paperwork to do before entering dental school...

Any way, good luck to everyone, enjoy your time before starting dental school:)

Yea...I think they are the same!

Anyways..i am thinking about getting an apt in astoria...anyone else stayin there?

Yeah Astoria is a pretty nice place to live. It's safe and affordable. I've been living in Astoria for the past 9 years. If you want to know anything about this place, don't hesitate to ask!

Yeah Astoria is a pretty nice place to live. It's safe and affordable. I've been living in Astoria for the past 9 years. If you want to know anything about this place, don't hesitate to ask!

How far is the campus from where u are?... Also, if you dont mind me asking, how much are you paying for an apt up there. I found a 2 bedroom for $1595, is that a good deal?

And Thanks for your help, really appreciate it!

How far is the campus from where u are?... Also, if you dont mind me asking, how much are you paying for an apt up there. I found a 2 bedroom for $1595, is that a good deal?

And Thanks for your help, really appreciate it!

2 bedroom for about $1600 is a great deal if it also include a living room and dining room. :thumbup: About 5 years ago our family used to live in a 2-bedroom with living and dining room for 1800. The people who lived downstairs converted their living into another bedroom so there were 3 people living in there. So the rent per person would be about 600. However, that doesn't include the utility bills.

About the commute and the distance... Yeah it can be a little hideous traveling everyday. I live at the last stop of N/W train in Astoria, so it would probably take about an hour to commute. Anyhow, if you guys all decide to live close-by, we can totally carpool! lol Anyway, hope this helps...

Members don't see this ad :)
OMG I'm so frustrated! I don't want to take any more tests. Forget Biochem and Toxicology. I don't want to finish my master's thesis (......and I probably won't).

and I REALLLLLY don't want to have to keep finding awesome apartments in Gramercy that are dog friendly and walking distance to school only to turn around and realize I'm not moving til August......and then sit here and worry that but some freak of nature, all of the NYU area will be out of good deal/nearby/pet friendly apartments by the time I'm ready to move.

Is there ANYBODY else out there who wants to buddy up with me on the housing aspect? As in as close to school as possible and pet friendly? I figure I'll be so broke anyway that I may as well spend some money and live half decently ya know? And I've found so many great 3-4 bedrooms.......I'd love to get 2-3 roommates together ASAP so we can all knock this housing thing out of the way, at least as far as finances and such go.

And I'm also really annoyed at how useless the facebook groups are. One of them is OK but the other ones are either really weird (no "join" button etc), only have 5 members, or are overrun with undergrads looking for dorms.

Seriously.....I'm ready to just go straight into residency. Or hell, even private practice.

Oh yeah. And I"m getting audited by the IRS. So my FAFSA is getting held up. ...which is not OK when going horribly in debt at NYU.

OMG I'm so frustrated! I don't want to take any more tests. Forget Biochem and Toxicology. I don't want to finish my master's thesis (......and I probably won't).

and I REALLLLLY don't want to have to keep finding awesome apartments in Gramercy that are dog friendly and walking distance to school only to turn around and realize I'm not moving til August......and then sit here and worry that but some freak of nature, all of the NYU area will be out of good deal/nearby/pet friendly apartments by the time I'm ready to move.

Is there ANYBODY else out there who wants to buddy up with me on the housing aspect? As in as close to school as possible and pet friendly? I figure I'll be so broke anyway that I may as well spend some money and live half decently ya know? And I've found so many great 3-4 bedrooms.......I'd love to get 2-3 roommates together ASAP so we can all knock this housing thing out of the way, at least as far as finances and such go.

And I'm also really annoyed at how useless the facebook groups are. One of them is OK but the other ones are either really weird (no "join" button etc), only have 5 members, or are overrun with undergrads looking for dorms.

Seriously.....I'm ready to just go straight into residency. Or hell, even private practice.

Oh yeah. And I"m getting audited by the IRS. So my FAFSA is getting held up. ...which is not OK when going horribly in debt at NYU.

Yea..I feel you on that...I just got accepted and have to deposit 2500 in two days!...Then look for apt and loan..etc

But I guess thats the price we have to pay to be a dentist!..haha

Well..good luck with everything..shoot me a PM of apt you are looking into..I would rather live close to school. Also, I heard the first year is not as bad as 2nd and 3rd so it will give us enough time to get situated.

hey guys, does anyone know if astoria queens is close to NYU? I was talking to someone yesterday and they said to look into housing in Astoria Queens, but I have no idea how far that is.

hey guys, does anyone know if astoria queens is close to NYU? I was talking to someone yesterday and they said to look into housing in Astoria Queens, but I have no idea how far that is.

I had the same question. I found out that its about 30-40 min commute from astoria to dental campus. It depend on how close ur place is to the train station. But, thats where I am thinking about getting a place too...I heard its a nice and cheap place to live close to school.

i heard its a nice place too! what do you think the average price there for a 1 bedroom would be? I am looking for a place that is more than 500 sqft

I had the same question. I found out that its about 30-40 min commute from astoria to dental campus. It depend on how close ur place is to the train station. But, thats where I am thinking about getting a place too...I heard its a nice and cheap place to live close to school.

Hmm 30-40 min is a little underestimating. For me it takes about an hour :eek: to get to the NYUCD campus, going from the last stop of N/W train and transfer to 6 train and all that. Of course, like you said if you live nearby the train station and depend on which station you're closest to, it might take less time. :)

hey guys, i have been shopping for winter clothes and i was wondering what kind of coat should i buy? can i get away with a knee length coat or do i need a long one that goes down to my shin. thanks.

i called nyu to ask them about housing on campus. and the guy told me, 'housing for each term is from sept-may'....but don't we start in august and end like in july? where are we going to live before in august and after may??

i called nyu to ask them about housing on campus. and the guy told me, 'housing for each term is from sept-may'....but don't we start in august and end like in july? where are we going to live before in august and after may??

I think somewhere in the housing info it states that dental students are allowed to move in on the 17th of august... when our orientation starts. As for the end of the year, I think they assume most people will find accomodation off campus for the following year, so it will just carry over from the time res finishes.
What did the guy say about applying for res??? Isn't there suppose to be some sort of application an lottery system?

hey guys, i have been shopping for winter clothes and i was wondering what kind of coat should i buy? can i get away with a knee length coat or do i need a long one that goes down to my shin. thanks.

I'm pretty sure anything that covers your butt would be enough. Just make sure the material is waterproof and warm

I think somewhere in the housing info it states that dental students are allowed to move in on the 17th of august... when our orientation starts. As for the end of the year, I think they assume most people will find accomodation off campus for the following year, so it will just carry over from the time res finishes.
What did the guy say about applying for res??? Isn't there suppose to be some sort of application an lottery system?

the guy told me we'd get more info on on-campus housing end of march..which is about to pass now. the lottery thing is for after the registration deadlines right??

u mean, we have to find off-campus accomodation that starts on may, even though we're not done D1 yet??

When I got the acceptance package. There were only two papers. One for acceptance and the other for deposit checklist. I was wondering when do u recieve the housing/financial aid/etc. packets?

When I got the acceptance package. There were only two papers. One for acceptance and the other for deposit checklist. I was wondering when do u recieve the housing/financial aid/etc. packets?

i received it after i sent in my first deposit, a few weeks after i sent it (1st depo) in. after you send your check you can probably ask them to send you the packet just to make sure you get it quickly, but they'll probably send it out already once they're sure you're attending )or at least paid the deposit).

Anyone finished their physical yet? If so, how much did it cost? Thanks.

i received it after i sent in my first deposit, a few weeks after i sent it (1st depo) in. after you send your check you can probably ask them to send you the packet just to make sure you get it quickly, but they'll probably send it out already once they're sure you're attending )or at least paid the deposit).

Thanks for the info...Yea I just got the email saying they recieved my first and second deposit. I am assuming they will send something now!...

BTW, does ppl know where they are staying at?...It'd be cool if most of us stayed close together. Also, ppl who are from NYC, do u guys recommend any places?

Thanks for the info...Yea I just got the email saying they recieved my first and second deposit. I am assuming they will send something now!...

BTW, does ppl know where they are staying at?...It'd be cool if most of us stayed close together. Also, ppl who are from NYC, do u guys recommend any places?

i recommend kew gardens hills, fresh meadows; i live close by and a coach bus ($5) from my house to NYU is 25 minutes in the mornings. it's a nice place to live with students n families, reasonable prices

without insurance i am paying about 300 for physical, blood test, tetnus shot, and chest x-ray.

I'm assuming all the info about this stuff comes with the package?

I've paid both deposits but not received the package yet...:rolleyes:

without insurance i am paying about 300 for physical, blood test, tetnus shot, and chest x-ray.

Where did you go to do that? Do we just go to a random hospital?
I am familiar w/ OC area so if you name the place, it would be a help :)

i recommend kew gardens hills, fresh meadows; i live close by and a coach bus ($5) from my house to NYU is 25 minutes in the mornings. it's a nice place to live with students n families, reasonable prices

Thanks..I will def check them out!

Also..I am not familiar with this..but was wondering do we get our own laptop or school provides it?...
Also..does anyone know if the online textbook that you buy on a CD in PDF?

Also..I am not familiar with this..but was wondering do we get our own laptop or school provides it?...
Also..does anyone know if the online textbook that you buy on a CD in PDF?

we have to buy our own laptops. The good thing is that it gives us awider selection than the schools that require you to choose from three :thumbup:

Let's talk finaid. I've filled out my FAFSA, so... what now? Just wait to hear from the school, or do I have to do something else?

Let's talk finaid. I've filled out my FAFSA, so... what now? Just wait to hear from the school, or do I have to do something else?

We wait. I called them today and they said they haven't even downloaded our FAFSAs from the government site yet. The woman said we can expect to get an aid package in the next 6 weeks.

We wait. I called them today and they said they haven't even downloaded our FAFSAs from the government site yet. The woman said we can expect to get an aid package in the next 6 weeks.

I guess I am behind with this stuff.. I havent even recieved any packets yet!...Hopefully I get the finaid packet soon.

I guess I am behind with this stuff.. I havent even recieved any packets yet!...Hopefully I get the finaid packet soon.

I would go ahead and start filling out your FAFSA right away, don't wait for a piece of paper from NYU that says "fill out your FAFSA".

I would go ahead and start filling out your FAFSA right away, don't wait for a piece of paper from NYU that says "fill out your FAFSA".

Where would I get information for FAFSA..doesn't NYu send that stuff to you?

slipped to the 4th page....is this a new record low?:D

How's everyone doing? Getting everything lined up?

I need to buy my ticket for july to NYC to look for apartments. Anybody have tips on going about to look for apartments. I am looking for a studio near the school. Broker? Craigslist? anything else?

I am so excited to live to NYC!!!!!! oh yeah and D school too...

Hey you guys,
does anyone know when the tuition is due? Have to start gathering up the $$$! :rolleyes:

YOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
where's everybody? lol :laugh: papers/ finals looming? what are you guys doing this summer? let's keep this thread alive :D

YOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
where's everybody? lol :laugh: papers/ finals looming? what are you guys doing this summer? let's keep this thread alive :D

Yea...I am swamped with presentation before I graduate...Um..I am going to Cali for memorial weekend. I want to enjoiy the 2 month break as much as I can cuz the rest 4 years will be intense...

This is for the people who is already attending NYU:

Do you guys recommend any books to glance over before school starts. And do they sell vital books now so we can look at it before the first day?