***Official NYU C/O 2012 Acceptance Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
they have a queens blvd train line that runs through them. It has 2 express trains so that will get you to manhatten in a heartbeat. Keep in mind in the subway system ther are express and local lines.

Thanks musl. But does express run 24/7 too? are you a New Yorker? I am doing all this research on-line, but I think it's the best to actually physically check out the place myself.

I found this website that give you lots of good info about each major spots in Queens. It also tell you how much you should expect on rent for 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom, 3 bedroom apartment. http://www.nrvlowdown.com/nyc/queens/elmhurst

According to the website, for a 3 bedroom apartment in Elmurhust, it costs $1,850 per month, which is ~$600 per month for a person :eek:. Not bad for a place 30 min. away from the school. Now, I just need find 2 other dental students who wanna to live in Elmurhust. :p

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks musl. But does express run 24/7 too? are you a New Yorker?

I found this website that given you lots of good info about each major spots in Queens. It also tell you how much you should expect on rent for 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom, 3 bedroom apartment. http://www.nrvlowdown.com/nyc/queens/elmhurst

According to the website, for a 3 bedroom apartment, it costs $1,850 per month, which is ~$600 per month for a person :eek:. Not bad for a place 30 min. away from the school.

yea the trains run 24/7. although there will be a lot fewer running after midnight. Yea im a new yorker also. I used to live in rego park until a few yrs ago. Commuting to manhatten honestly is not so bad. everyone does it, as you will see during rush hour :D.

i think it is a good find ewok, i would move in with you, but ill be at home with the parents.

yea the trains run 24/7. although there will be a lot fewer running after midnight. Yea im a new yorker also. I used to live in rego park until a few yrs ago. Commuting to manhatten honestly is not so bad. everyone does it, as you will see during rush hour :D.

i think it is a good find ewok, i would move in with you, but ill be at home with the parents.

How long does it take you to travel from Rego Park to the dental school during the rush hour? Do you think the subway train will be so packed at stations in Elmhurst during the rush hour in the morning? I don't mind the 30 min. subway ride, but it would suck to stand up in a huge crowd in the morning for 30 min. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
How long does it take you to travel from Rego Park to the dental school during the rush hour? Do you think the subway train will be so packed at stations in Elmhurst during the rush hour in the morning? I don't mind the 30 min. subway ride, but it would suck to stand up in a huge crowd in the morning for 30 min. Thanks for your help!

well i live in howard beach now, by JFK so it is even further away than rego park. It took me 40-45 min from where i live now to get to my interview. From rego park i know it used to take me 20-25 min to get to midtown manhatten, so add 10 min to get to downtown. The bad news is that during rush hour you will most likely be standing up. The trains are packed most of the time. But thats not so bad a trade off when you are saving thousands.

According to the website, for a 3 bedroom apartment in Elmurhust, it costs $1,850 per month, which is ~$600 per month for a person :eek:. Not bad for a place 30 min. away from the school. Now, I just need find 2 other dental students who wanna to live in Elmurhust. :p

600 dollars and 30 minute commute sounds like the best deal so far to me.

Add me add me! NYU became my #1 right when I interviewed there... turned down pittsburgh and BU for it. I'm interested in finding off campus housing preferably in the manhattan area too, and i would like some fellow dental students as roommates, too! i'm clean, unintimidating and i speak english and chinese! hahaha i don't mind commuting as well... midtown manhattan looks nice... especially around the lincoln centre!

musl85
MJM565
udonzilla
cymbidium
moralbrain
goonda
phamdh23
Ewok1984
Hyphae
predental1984
tejloo
keving

i want to live on shaolin island. anyone with me? =)

i want to live on shaolin island. anyone with me? =)

hahaha. i have lived in NYC for 20 yrs and i have only been there maybe twice. i also never heard anyone refer to it by that name :). honestly it is so disconnected from NYC in terms of mass transit a lot of people barely consider it part of the city hehehe. If you like the ferry, that is a splendid idea :D

I'm in! Will I be the tallest (I'm 6'5").....we will see!

musl85
MJM565
udonzilla
cymbidium
moralbrain
goonda
phamdh23
Ewok1984
Hyphae
predental1984
tejloo
keving
stdmufin27

hehe we seriously need to sleep..:sleep: but while we're here, don't forget to join the facebook group!
NYUCD C/O 2012

hahaha. i have lived in NYC for 20 yrs and i have only been there maybe twice. i also never heard anyone refer to it by that name :). honestly it is so disconnected from NYC in terms of mass transit a lot of people barely consider it part of the city hehehe. If you like the ferry, that is a splendid idea :D

I wasn't really considering living there. I was just throwing it out there randomly but I have always been interested in the "rugged slums of Shaolin..."

I'm in! Will I be the tallest (I'm 6'5").....we will see!

When did you interview stdmufin27? I'm 6'2" and when I interviewed (12/10)there were two guys there taller than me, one from Cali.

musl85
MJM565
udonzilla
cymbidium
moralbrain
goonda
phamdh23
Ewok1984
Hyphae
predental1984
tejloo
keving
stdmufin27
porkchop2008

When did you interview stdmufin27? I'm 6'2" and when I interviewed (12/10)there were two guys there taller than me, one from Cali.

I did interview on the 10th of December and I am from Cali. Were you the guy from North Cali?

Members don't see this ad :)
NYU was my first out of state choice.. Still waiting for LLU though.. otherwise I'll see all you guys in August..

musl85
MJM565
udonzilla
cymbidium
moralbrain
goonda
phamdh23
Ewok1984
Hyphae
predental1984
tejloo
keving
stdmufin27
porkchop2
714guy

Hi everyone! Congrats on your acceptance! :thumbup:
I have an interview with NYU on Feb 29th. I was wondering if you guys can give me any advice? I'm really nervous about it:( Also, what hotel should I stay at that's relatively cheap?

I have an interview with NYU on Feb 29th. I was wondering if you guys can give me any advice? I'm really nervous about it:( Also, what hotel should I stay at that's relatively cheap?

hi there, the NYU interview was one of the most laid back ones i had. They ask the usual questions, why dentistry, why nyu etc, everything on interview feedback. In fact, those were the only questions i was aksed, and the rest of the time he was answering my questions and selling the school. You should not stress it at all. Like you will hear on sdn, the cafeteria food was the best i had at any interview. It is a very nice school, you will ike it and the location.

For hotels, i live in NYC so i couldnt recommend anything, someone else might.

I did interview on the 10th of December and I am from Cali. Were you the guy from North Cali?

Glad to hear you got in man! I was the guy who you thought was 45 years old. Thanks again for that. :D See you in August.

You could check out the mayfair hotel. 125/night. It's about a 10 minute cab ride to NYU.

thanks you guys!:) hopefully I'll get to meet you guys next year.....wish me luck:oops:

Hey. I was staying at Clarion Hotel on Park Avenue and 29th. It was a 10 minute walk and I paid like $140. Interview was very laid back for me as well.

I strongly recommend Hotel 17. You can get a single for $99-110/night. The rooms are very small and the bathrooms are shared. I found the room pretty quaint and cozy for its purpose and the bathrooms are spotless and you won't have to wait for them. You will feel like you are in your own home. The hotel also has some history with a Woody Allen movie being filmed there and some celebs staying there. Best part about it. . .it's a 5-10 minute walk to NYU (1 block over 7 short blocks up) and there is a Starbucks on the way if you are into your mourney coffee or mocha. Do a search on Hotel 17 NYC and it will show up.

Good luck,

Bob

thank you for your responses, everyone! :p

anyone know exactly how much is the rent PER MONTH to live in NYU dorm? I checked the housing website and I am not sure whether the price is shown per semester or per year.

does anyone know how long after deposit was paid, access to the intranet was granted?still says im not a member of the community even though i got confirmation of my deposit.

does anyone know how long after deposit was paid, access to the intranet was granted?still says im not a member of the community even though i got confirmation of my deposit.

hmm, i tried signing in right after i got the confirmation e-mail of the first deposit and it worked... maybe try calling and see what's up?

is anyone thinking of buying a pda or smartphone? i was looking at Treos today.

Look at us and our 4 pages. We're gaining on that Louisville pack!

boy im such a loser, haha, up at 3 am contributing to the good 'ole NYU thread. :D

i was thinking of getting one, they say it is optional though on their website. Do you guys think we really need one? In anycase i would go with some HTC model. they have nice ones.

boy im such a loser, haha, up at 3 am contributing to the good 'ole NYU thread. :D

i was thinking of getting one, they say it is optional though on their website. Do you guys think we really need one? In anycase i would go with some HTC model. they have nice ones.

you are up late man. It's only midnight here on the west coast.

It took me about a month before i could get through.

i still can't get through! perhaps its the fact that i'm canadian and i don't have a so called "social security number"... i wanna get started and claim the flashiest email IDs around.. do you know when NYU will send us some housing info, or financial info... or any info at all!?!

Thanks musl. But does express run 24/7 too? are you a New Yorker? I am doing all this research on-line, but I think it's the best to actually physically check out the place myself.

I found this website that give you lots of good info about each major spots in Queens. It also tell you how much you should expect on rent for 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom, 3 bedroom apartment. http://www.nrvlowdown.com/nyc/queens/elmhurst

Sounds like a good deal! Commuting really isn't bad at all. I've been commuting for the past 4 years, traveling for at least 45-50 minutes every day.
You should save up as much as you can on rent. Rent is one huge pain in the *** when it comes to paying it. Save money there, and you won't have to worry about spending any cash on entertainment, clothes, outings etc.

Sorry to bother you guys again. I have a question about the airport. Should I fly into JFK or LGA? Also, once i arrive to the airport, is there a subway station right outside?
Thanks a a bunch!:oops:

i still can't get through! perhaps its the fact that i'm canadian and i don't have a so called "social security number"... i wanna get started and claim the flashiest email IDs around.. do you know when NYU will send us some housing info, or financial info... or any info at all!?!

hey kev,

I am a Canadian too. I don't think being a Canadian was a problem. I was able to to sign on http://www.nyu.edu/dental/intranet/ after I paid my deposit. You should call them to see what's up if it still doesn't work for you.

I've been looking at smart phones for the past couple of days. I narrowed it down to the HTC mogul or the Treo 755p. Leaning more towards the Mogul for the Windows Mobile. But now I found out that they are coming out with the Treo 800 which will have Windows Mobile :scared: supposedly Q1 of 2008. I usually impatient when it comes to toys.. I want it now! And the best plan to get is the Sprint SERO plan. $30/mo for 500min, free nights and weekends start at 7pm, unlimited data and text.

Sorry to bother you guys again. I have a question about the airport. Should I fly into JFK or LGA? Also, once i arrive to the airport, is there a subway station right outside?
Thanks a a bunch!:oops:

I have been to JFK and Newark. and I would def recommend JFK. For the subway, you have to take the airtrain first, then take the subway.

I was going to wait until school started. I'm pretty sure that read somewhere - maybe on the IT requirements site - that we don't need one right away. And I THINK it said we don't need one until we're a D2. I was gonna get to school and see what some of the upperclassmen have/ recommend.

Anyone thinking of buying a Mac? I'm sorta a Mac fan and would prefer to get a PC.

Sounds like a good deal! Commuting really isn't bad at all. I've been commuting for the past 4 years, traveling for at least 45-50 minutes every day. You should save up as much as you can on rent. Rent is one huge pain in the *** when it comes to paying it. Save money there, and you won't have to worry about spending any cash on entertainment, clothes, outings etc.

Ha! I know. It takes me 45 minutes to go 10 miles to my job out here in LA. Good times.

Hold up, we really need to get one of these in the near distant future? I was just planning on getting an iPhone! Where does it tell us that we need one of those suckers?

Hold up, we really need to get one of these in the near distant future? I was just planning on getting an iPhone! Where does it tell us that we need one of those suckers?

on the requirements page http://www.nyu.edu/dental/compreq.html . it says:

Do I need to purchase a PDA or will this be supplied when I get my instruments?

The PDA is optional in D1 (first year) but will be needed during the D2 year. You will get more information about this during your first class and you can wait to purchase a PDA until then.

Yeah. I'm happy to hear Treo is coming out with a new model. Hopefully it has built in wi-fi. I read that the 750 or 755p can use a microSD wi-fi card though. I'll look into mogul.

Hey, I think the iphone can't run some of the programs they want us to install and use.

I've been looking at smart phones for the past couple of days. I narrowed it down to the HTC mogul or the Treo 755p. Leaning more towards the Mogul for the Windows Mobile. But now I found out that they are coming out with the Treo 800 which will have Windows Mobile :scared: supposedly Q1 of 2008. I usually impatient when it comes to toys.. I want it now! And the best plan to get is the Sprint SERO plan. $30/mo for 500min, free nights and weekends start at 7pm, unlimited data and text.

I think the Treo 800 is the Treo Centro. and I know what you mean about being impatient.

ive narrowed my choices to the mogul or the p3600. I dont think the iphone has windows mobile, so i think you should hold off on it. Gosh, for what we pay, they should throw a pda in for free.

at least we are not limited to a choice of laptops.

So, it looks like I'll be ending me iPhone dreams immediately. My T-Mobile plan for me and my wife ends this May. I think I'm going to switch providers. If I need to get this phone to meet the school's requirements who do you think would be the best to go with? Also, you guys/girls? are talking about different models of the Treo....is that the only phone that fulfills the requirement? Shoot, more research that I didn't want to do. I'll probably have to wait till orientation.

So, it looks like I'll be ending me iPhone dreams immediately. My T-Mobile plan for me and my wife ends this May. I think I'm going to switch providers. If I need to get this phone to meet the school's requirements who do you think would be the best to go with? Also, you guys/girls? are talking about different models of the Treo....is that the only phone that fulfills the requirement? Shoot, more research that I didn't want to do. I'll probably have to wait till orientation.

im on tmobile now, but will move to sprint this july. For Tmobile, the dash or wing will work. For sprint, the mogul or motorola Q will work.

Try this website: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/devices/default.mspx

you can also use any palm device(including treo's)

ive narrowed my choices to the mogul or the p3600. I dont think the iphone has windows mobile, so i think you should hold off on it. Gosh, for what we pay, they should throw a pda in for free.

at least we are not limited to a choice of laptops.

Im kinda confused. Do we have to get our own laptop for the school and than we download the textbooks? or do they provide the laptop for us with the software on it?

Im kinda confused. Do we have to get our own laptop for the school and than we download the textbooks? or do they provide the laptop for us with the software on it?

i wish they provide us with one. We have to get one and they will provide us with the software. Sucks for me cuz i have a nice desktop at home and now i gotta buy a laptop in addition to the PDA :rolleyes:.

here is the link for the tech requirements: http://www.nyu.edu/dental/compreq.html

i wish they provide us with one. We have to get one and they will provide us with the software. Sucks for me cuz i have a nice desktop at home and now i gotta buy a laptop in addition to the PDA :rolleyes:.

here is the link for the tech requirements: http://www.nyu.edu/dental/compreq.html

Dang it!!! i was hoping they would give us one. Should I get an iMac?? what do you prefer?

Dang it!!! i was hoping they would give us one. Should I get an iMac?? what do you prefer?

i personally hate macs... how the hell do people use them? :thumbdown:.

Im probably going with a sony vaio 12"-13"(they have good battery life). i dont wanna carry a big laptop all day long. PC all the way:D

hey pham, if u already have a laptop, dont shell out for another unless it is below minimum specs posted on the website.

i personally hate macs... how the hell do people use them? :thumbdown:.

Im probably going with a sony vaio 12"-13"(they have good battery life). i dont wanna carry a big laptop all day long. PC all the way:D

hey pham, if u already have a laptop, dont shell out for another unless it is below minimum specs posted on the website.

yeah i know, but i accidentally dropped my laptop the other day and the hinges which connects the screen broke. I have to put my screen against the wall or else it tilts down.