*****Official OHSU Class of 1012 Thread*******

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doubledizzle13

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
YEAH BABy! Just got an email from OHSU and I'm in! (proves that they don't tell you by subliminal messages)! This has been a glorious day!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in too. Interviewed Monday, Nov. 26. Got an email Nov. 30.
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:
I too love the banana dancing nut. That's how I feel.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got accepted yesterday!!! I interviewed on Tues. so i feel that it was a pretty quick response. Portland is the bomb!!! Can't wait to start. Slutskya, this ish really is bananas :banana::banana::banana::banana:!

Good for you guys. Would you please share your stats so I can see if I stand a chance?

Thanks,

My GPA was what got me there I believe. Also a ton of community service and extra curricular involvement on campus. The interview was pretty low stress too, and I really liked the faculty I talked to.

Cum GPA: 3.73
DAT AA 18

A page from their OS textbook "Ye Prosedures on Ecstracting ye Dental Apendage" by Phinneus Klaut:

Medieval_dentistry.jpg

Don't you just love medieval dentistry?:scared:

Did anybody else get this e-mail from the school about some supreme court ruling that totally screwed the school over and made them reduce some of there programs b/c/ of a lack of funding and they are going to have to SIGNIFICANTLY raise tuition? Can somebody please enlighten me more on what this is all about?

I did, and it validates my decision to not go there

Did anybody else get this e-mail from the school about some supreme court ruling that totally screwed the school over and made them reduce some of there programs b/c/ of a lack of funding and they are going to have to SIGNIFICANTLY raise tuition? Can somebody please enlighten me more on what this is all about?
By how much are they raising the tuition?!?
Can you send me that link to that article?

By how much are they raising the tuition?!?
Can you send me that link to that article?

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/stories/2008/01/14/daily33.html

Here's a relevant article. What a blow to the school as a whole though - not just the dental program. A lot of their outreach and community work programs are going to take quite a hit from this.

Still, I think folks should wait and see what the projected tuition costs would be before going berserk.

Thanks for the link.
An estimated 30 million a year! That sounds like a lot? But what do I know?

I was recently accepted at OHSU as well. As far as the tuition increase, the rumor coming from an OHSU student I know is to expect about a 10% tuition increase this year. Also chances of seeing a new campus being built are pretty slim.

Make sure you read these things carefully.....while it seems like OHSU is losing some money because of the Tort Cap removal, it is also somewhat of a ploy and an excuse to raise tuition.

To sum this whole thing up, there use to be a cap on damages for lawsuits against the school and other similar bodies....ie people could sue for a maximum of so and so amount of damages.

With the removal of this cap, people can sue for unlimited amounts of damages, ie kajillions of dollars.

To counteract this, OHSU will raise tuition, cut some staff, remove high risk programs (dentistry for the uninsured in the case of the Russel Clinic) and avoid excess costs like remodeling to keep some money for potential lawsuits ie not spread themselves too thin.

Basically, OHSU will cut costs and increase tuition to cover their paranoia...the overall school should remain the same.