Official, Pre-Allo NOT ACCEPTED YET 2017 applicant thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thats some flawless logic! I'll start prewriting secondaries (much easier than PS).

Side note: your waitlist tales from last cycle are truly inspiring. Congrats on getting in!

Last year several of the (now M1) peeps on this thread re-wrote PS, retook MCAT and in on case spent $900 on primaries before being accepted in late May/early June. I'm with Bananafish - if I go on a trip and bring my tire chains, shovel, blanket, food etc., I'll not end up stuck in the snow. If I forget, I'll get stuck.

Members don't see this ad.

Officially joining this league. No interviews by now, and rejected from almost all my applied schools (both MD&DO).
Mental support, advice, wisdoms are appreciated. I do plan to re-take the MCAT & re-apply in the future (not the upcoming cycle).
Thank you all for this year's application advice and comment (funny or not), really made my application journey enjoyable!
Feel free to PM me too.

Reactions: 2 users
Just realized this is the "not accepted YET" league...can anyone direct me to the "rejected from all" league page? LOL

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my 5th late interview invite today, feeling happy but also like this cycle is stringing me along at this point.

MY POOR HEART CANT TAKE MUCH MORE OF THIS

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 11 users
Just got my 5th late interview invite today, feeling happy but also like this cycle is stringing me along at this point.

Haha i felt the same way when i got my 5th one in march too. Hopefully the 5th is the charm for the both of us! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user

April showers bring May flowers. Or so I'm told.

Reactions: 5 users
I applied to 23 schools, with two II, both resulting in waitlists. Would I be totally crazy if I applied to 40 schools next round? The larger the net, the more fish I'll catch (assuming I choose wisely which 40 schools to weave my net out of).

I applied to 23 schools, with two II, both resulting in waitlists. Would I be totally crazy if I applied to 40 schools next round? The larger the net, the more fish I'll catch (assuming I choose wisely which 40 schools to weave my net out of).

I feel like that's not necessarily the case, there are so many schools that aren't receptive to OOS applicants which narrows down which schools you would have the best chances at. Realistically you have the best chance at your IS schools plus most private schools. If that adds up to 40, fine. That's not to say that you have no chance at other OOS public schools, but it's just lower. So i say the schools you choose matter more than how many you choose. Also, good luck this cycle!!

As someone who submitted 33 primaries, I'll tell you that 40 is probably too much to handle. I ran out of time, creativity, will, AND MONEY about half way through

Reactions: 8 users
Joining this thread, 2 interviews, 2 waitlists. Sooooooooooo, all the people with multiple acceptances are really going to wait till April 30th to make a decision?

My emoji didn't show up. That question was meant to be comical.

Reactions: 3 users
Joining this thread, 2 interviews, 2 waitlists. Sooooooooooo, all the people with multiple acceptances are really going to wait till April 30th to make a decision?

My emoji didn't show up. That question was meant to be comical.

I also have a feeling that some schools may be waiting till the 30th so they can just release a massive wave of acceptances. At least we have a date to look forward to?

Reactions: 7 users
I also have a feeling that some schools may be waiting till the 30th so they can just release a massive wave of acceptances. At least we have a date to look forward to?

Yea I guess. This process gives me a new found respect for reapplicants. I did not understand how mentally draining this whole process is. I know these are first world problems, but it's still draining.

Reactions: 6 users
As someone who submitted 33 primaries, I'll tell you that 40 is probably too much to handle. I ran out of time, creativity, will, AND MONEY about half way through

For some of my less preferred school apps, it was almost like I had a little blurb bank of paragraphs about different stuff. So it'd be like hmm this school talks about the community a lot on its website...why don't I do the clinicals + volunteering + diversity, skip the research this time.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For some of my less preferred school apps, it was almost like I had a little blurb bank of paragraphs about different stuff. So it'd be like hmm this school talks about the community a lot on its website...why don't I do the clinicals + volunteering + diversity, skip the research this time.
That was my exact strategy as well.

Unfortunately, the 30th is a Sunday so they'll probably wait until 5/1 to release the *hopeful* wave of acceptances. The anticipation is brutal lol.

Unfortunately, the 30th is a Sunday so they'll probably wait until 5/1 to release the *hopeful* wave of acceptances. The anticipation is brutal lol.

My b-day is the first week of May so that would be an awesome present if it goes that way!

I'm at the overanalyzing previous years' school-specific threads stage. In the next few weeks I'm going to have to figure out what to do while I wait, but nothing like some back-of-the-envelope stats calculations to keep things in focus!

2 II, 1 WL, 1 waiting to hear, 1 start of a new draft of my PS.

If I'm reapplying, I'm going to do it up right this time! There is so much that I wish I'd known this cycle. If I do get in this cycle, I'mma need a 'thank you, jesus' emoticon.

For allo-WLs, for now... April showers bring May flowers?

Hopping on this train. 5 MD IIs 1 DO II and nothing so far. Got two waitlists which are pretty much rejections at these two schools. Silence from my DO and my other two MD IIs, and one priority waitlist which I've heard has a high chance of acceptance so I'm crossing my fingers. This app process is no joke.

Reactions: 4 users
Joining this thread! 2MD II , 1 WL, 1 decision pending. Keep hope alive guys.

Update: 2 Waitlists. :(

Last edited:
3 MD II. Results: 2 rejection, 1 decision pending (alternate list consideration only)

Most schools will have admitted enough to fill the class and an additional amount necessary to (at least) accommodate the withdrawals associated with traffic day.
An unexpectedly large number of withdrawals could result in a review of the waitlist, though.

2 II (MD & DO), both still pending. I'm going to die of anxiety at this rate.

Just wanted to add to the list! 9 secondaries, 3 interviews, 2 waitlists, and waiting back to hear from the last school. They'll get back to me in one week, so if that's a waitlist then I'm officially going to reapply. It sucks, but it's made me realize how much I want to be a doctor if I'm willing to go through this soul-sucking process again! There's a lot I would do differently, so at least we learn from this journey. Best of luck to you all post-April 30th! :)

Just went 3 for 3 on waitlists... at least I'm consistent y'all

Today is just one of those days where I can't take the waiting anymore, and am feeling the suckage even more than usual. If any of you are feeling that today, too, you're not alone. #solidarity

Reactions: 13 users
I'm not even a 2K17 applicant, but this thread is making me sad. And hopeful for all you guys!

Today is just one of those days where I can't take the waiting anymore, and am feeling the suckage even more than usual. If any of you are feeling that today, too, you're not alone. #solidarity
Beer

I feel for you. Thankfully work managed to keep my mind of things for a while.
May 1st might be the day I take on a drinking as a hobby.

Reactions: 6 users
I feel for you. Thankfully work managed to keep my mind of things for a while.

May 1st might be the day I take on a drinking as a hobby.
Saturday night. If you're going to pick a day of the week to start...

Saturday night. If you're going to pick a day of the week to start...
I work AM CNA shifts on weekends. Don't think tomorrow me will be very appreciative :rolleyes:

Is the re-applicant thread for this year up yet?

Whats up guys! As a re-applicant that got accepted this year, just wanted to pass on some friendly advice. Best thing you can do while playing the waiting game is stay busy. Sitting around doing nothing and waiting for that email/phone call that may never come is absolute torture. With that being said, you should be busy doing things that are going improve your chances of matriculating. The application process is really a game of probabilities and no matter how great your application looks, there's always a small chance of not being accepted. All we can do as applicants is improve our probabilities of being accepted. How? By getting a higher MCAT, getting As in courses, improving your extracurriculars, perfecting your personal statements/secondary essays, and MOST importantly, target schools that will be attracted to your application. A poor school list can be the reason why some 3.5/515 applicants don't get accepted. Good luck and stay busy everyone!

Whats up guys! As a re-applicant that got accepted this year, just wanted to pass on some friendly advice. Best thing you can do while playing the waiting game is stay busy. Sitting around doing nothing and waiting for that email/phone call that may never come is absolute torture. With that being said, you should be busy doing things that are going improve your chances of matriculating. The application process is really a game of probabilities and no matter how great your application looks, there's always a small chance of not being accepted. All we can do as applicants is improve our probabilities of being accepted. How? By getting a higher MCAT, getting As in courses, improving your extracurriculars, perfecting your personal statements/secondary essays, and MOST importantly, target schools that will be attracted to your application. A poor school list can be the reason why some 3.5/515 applicants don't get accepted. Good luck and stay busy everyone!
Thanks for your advice! Can you talk about how to find schools that will be attracted to your application? States schools? Schools focus on research vs. underserved community? Is that what "target school" consist?

Thanks for your advice! Can you talk about how to find schools that will be attracted to your application? States schools? Schools focus on research vs. underserved community? Is that what "target school" consist?

Yes, applying to all state schools is a must. Figuring out which OOS schools to apply to requires a little more thought. I would first start by figuring out how strong the instate bias is. If the class is composed of 95% instate students, I probably wouldn't apply there. Next I would see if my stats are competitive for the school I'm applying to. The MSAR provides a helpful figure that shows the MCAT and GPA range of 90% of the accepted applicants. If my stats do not fall within the range of 90% of accepted students, I would save the $37 application fee. Lastly, I would visit the school's website and see if they have a focus on any strong points on my application, for example community service, working with the underserved, etc. Hope this helps.

Most schools will have admitted enough to fill the class and an additional amount necessary to (at least) accommodate the withdrawals associated with traffic day.
An unexpectedly large number of withdrawals could result in a review of the waitlist, though.

What about post-II hold, do you know if that makes things harder for us?

Yes, applying to all state schools is a must. Figuring out which OOS schools to apply to requires a little more thought. I would first start by figuring out how strong the instate bias is. If the class is composed of 95% instate students, I probably wouldn't apply there. Next I would see if my stats are competitive for the school I'm applying to. The MSAR provides a helpful figure that shows the MCAT and GPA range of 90% of the accepted applicants. If my stats do not fall within the range of 90% of accepted students, I would save the $37 application fee. Lastly, I would visit the school's website and see if they have a focus on any strong points on my application, for example community service, working with the underserved, etc. Hope this helps.
Thank you! It definitely helps and looks like an early MSAR search is on my way. I used a similar way of yours to came up with my school list last year.

What about post-II hold, do you know if that makes things harder for us?
If they have given you a decision, your chances will depend on how closely their estimate of the number needed to fill approaches reality.

YALL

I GOT MY FIRST STRAIGHT ACCEPTANCE TODAY AFTER 5 WAITLISTS

I AM INTERNALLY AND EXTERNALLY SCREAMING

Reactions: 37 users
I hear back post-interview for one more school next week and the suspense is KILLING ME. Sitting on a waitlist too and resisting starting to think about reapplying or what I'm going to do next year cause holding out hope....