Official, Pre-Allo NOT ACCEPTED YET 2017 applicant thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's been entirely quiet for a week.

It might be hard to answer this, but In your opinion, is this slow down normal while everyone sorts out there offers and then it will speed back up for a bit, or in your mind is this a suggestion that the cycle is almost over and movement will be sparse?

Members don't see this ad :)
It might be hard to answer this, but In your opinion, is this slow down normal while everyone sorts out there offers and then it will speed back up for a bit, or in your mind is this a suggestion that the cycle is almost over and movement will be sparse?
The first phase is depletion of excess (most places accept two to three times the number of available seats). This varies by school and region but usually takes a few weeks to a month (end of May).
This is followed by the active phase in which offers go out sufficient to refill the class. This usually takes about two weeks (middle of June).
Then we go into the intermittent attrition phase in which the odd student wants to defer or a couple of inefficient schools wake up and notice that their class isn't full (and poach from other schools)! Then these schools poach... This goes on until each orientation date passes diminishing the poachable applicant pool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 users
You guys. I just got accepted.

giphy.gif

Reactions: 39 users
It looks like he was accepted off WL at UVermont. Maybe he can come back and tell us if he is IS or OOS and maybe his stats.

Congrats to @2017App5678

Thanks everyone!! The support and camaraderie on this page has kept me sane during this cycle.

I'm OOS, a classic non-trad career-changer. I can give you stats, but honestly guys, if I've learned anything from this cycle it's that stats are both everything and nothing - we might as well try to read tea leaves, especially in the era of the holistic review.

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Since we are past the point when multiple acceptances to an individual have to be reduced to 1 where does waitlist movement come from in June July august? Thanks in advance I realize I may be missing the point ...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Since we are past the point when multiple acceptances to an individual have to be reduced to 1 where does waitlist movement come from in June July august? Thanks in advance I realize I may be missing the point ...

Right now every applicant is holding a single acceptance, but every school is not entirely filled. If a school poaches a candidate from a school, that school may decide to poach someone from another. This process continues at a stutter until orientation starts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users

Aside from the continued trickle from multiple acceptances...there are all sorts of other reasons for someone to pull out late and need to be replaced...sickness preventing matriculation, can't qualify for loans, or maybe visa issues, background check problems, didn't finish requirements, etc. Or...losing someone to poaching by another school.

Reactions: 2 users
The first phase is depletion of excess (most places accept two to three times the number of available seats). This varies by school and region but usually takes a few weeks to a month (end of May).
This is followed by the active phase in which offers go out sufficient to refill the class. This usually takes about two weeks (middle of June).
Then we go into the intermittent attrition phase in which the odd student wants to defer or a couple of inefficient schools wake up and notice that their class isn't full (and poach from other schools)! Then these schools poach... This goes on until each orientation date passes diminishing the poachable applicant pool.

So if a SOM seats 150 M1 students, then that would suggest to me that they've accepted 300-450 students, maybe WL'd another 100-200, and rejected maybe 100-200 post-interview. (Do these numbers sound plausible? Would the WL number be higher?).

So if a SOM seats 150 M1 students, then that would suggest to me that they've accepted 300-450 students, maybe WL'd another 100-200, and rejected maybe 100-200 post-interview. (Do these numbers sound plausible? Would the WL number be higher?).

It's all dependent on the schools. My state school, for example, boasts a 77% yield, meaning they have a tiny pool of excess. For 181 matriculants, the math works out like this:

Overall offers/matriculants/yield: 234/181/77%
In-state interviews/offers/matriculants/yield: 533/172/151/88%
Out-of-state interviews/offers/matriculants/yield: 124/62/30/48%

Of course that doesn't tell you how large the waitlist pool is, only the number of acceptances over 181.

It's all dependent on the schools. My state school, for example, boasts a 77% yield, meaning they have a tiny pool of excess. For 181 matriculants, the math works out like this:

Overall offers/matriculants/yield: 234/181/77%
In-state interviews/offers/matriculants/yield: 533/172/151/88%
Out-of-state interviews/offers/matriculants/yield: 124/62/30/48%

Of course that doesn't tell you how large the waitlist pool is, only the number of acceptances over 181.

@aymar are the calculations in bold your numbers or does your SOM publish those numbers?

@aymar are the calculations in bold your numbers or does your SOM publish those numbers?

All calculations based on published numbers (I did not calculate them personally, but a fellow SDN'er posted them in our subforum). This school reports the yield rate so you can calculate the total number of offers based on the class size.

Reactions: 1 user
All calculations based on published numbers (I did not calculate them personally, but a fellow SDN'er posted them in our subforum). This school reports the yield rate so you can calculate the total number of offers based on the class size.

How many OOS apps does this med school get?
Is the SOM goal to seat about 15% OOS?

My guess is that public SOMs, especially the preferred one(s) in the state, may not have to offer acceptances to 2-3 times their targeted goal as long as they have an adequate WL, just in case.

The number needed to fill varies by selectivity and state.

How many OOS apps does this med school get?
Is the SOM goal to seat about 15% OOS?

My guess is that public SOMs, especially the preferred one(s) in the state, may not have to offer acceptances to 2-3 times their targeted goal as long as they have an adequate WL, just in case.
Some schools will give out that data, my state school gave us detailed numbers from the previous years cycle during the interview. USnews has some of this info for most, not all, schools. For example according to us news wake forest (private school) had 9115 applications, 458 interviews, accepted 238 to enroll 129.

For example according to us news wake forest (private school) had 9115 applications, 458 interviews, accepted 238 to enroll 129.

Interesting. I didn't know that USNews published the interview and accepted numbers.

I wonder how many of 220 were WL'd and how many were rejected post-interview. And, how many of the 238 were on the WL.

Interesting. I didn't know that USNews published the interview and accepted numbers.

I wonder how many of 220 were WL'd and how many were rejected post-interview. And, how many of the 238 were on the WL.
Not sure, I would be interested to know as well. I am one of the 238 this year +pity+ (technically still on the waitlist, but very little hope of coming off). I will be happily attending another great school though, so it's all good.

All I got today is Jefferson.

UGH
hopefully there is more to come with Jeff. it's like a shot to the heart every time I see another acceptance go out

There will be more.
thank you gyngyn!! it means the world that you take the time out of your day to keep us updated during this stressful time!

Reactions: 8 users
GUYS! Miracles still happen. After 13 rejections, 2 interviews and waitlists, I have been accepted!!! I had pretty much given up hope and sent my app for next year before this surprise. Thank you JESUS!!! I hope encourages someone out there:soexcited::soexcited:

Reactions: 29 users
GUYS! Miracles still happen. After 13 rejections, 2 interviews and waitlists, I have been accepted!!! I had pretty much given up hope and sent my app for next year before this surprise. Thank you JESUS!!! I hope encourages someone out there:soexcited::soexcited:
Where? if you don't mind sharing

Congratulations!!:)

Any news on Morehouse?
I'm still hanging out on the Morehouse waitlist too. I'm moving forward with my app for next year. Hopefully Morehouse will see all the changes I've made and call me back for another interview!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm still hanging out on the Morehouse waitlist too. I'm moving forward with my app for next year. Hopefully Morehouse will see all the changes I've made and call me back for another interview!

Good luck, I hope they do! I on the other hand am lost. Don't think I'm going to apply this cycle because I need to make some big changes.

Reactions: 2 users
21 secondaries, 2 interviews, 2 waitlists, and 1 rejection after waitlist...ya girl got into med school.

Reactions: 31 users
3 interviews, 3 waitlists and received my first acceptance today. Words cannot describe how amazing this feels. Thank you to everyone on SDN who has been so unbelievably helpful and supportive along the way.

Reactions: 39 users