Official, Pre-Allo NOT ACCEPTED YET 2018 applicant thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's hard to predict how well you did on a MMI. I thought I did well on my first one and got a post-II rejection. Felt good about the second MMI too and got hit with the waitlist.

Those MMI interviewers are trained to put their game faces on and not give anything away. Maybe you did better than you think! :)

The thing is, it wasn't the interviewer throwing me off, it was my own behavior that I know wasn't great :/ the first station I was thrown off by a question and said "uuuhhhh" stared down for a few seconds and then got my thoughts put together, but it was bad man. Then the interviewer said something about war, and I said "I'm not sure how prevalent that is to American society these days" LOL I'm an idiot.

But thank you for the words of encouragement. It's hard to stay positive out here to say the least!

Reactions: 1 users
guys, these waitlists are making me feel super demoralized as the spring drags on without any movement, and made much worse by the plethora of friends who act like I'm already accepted, or will inevitably be accepted, ("yeah, but you WILL get in!!") when that's just not guaranteed. could use a morale boost
This. ._. It was also painful whenever all my mentors at work would come by just to ask if I had heard any positive news from places such as their alma maters and I would have to consistently say no or still waitlisted. Oddly, after I got my first (and, so far, only) acceptance a couple weeks ago I think they were starting to lose faith in me because they quit asking.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What is the highest amount of interviews someone has had without getting an acceptance, that you know of?

So, the AdCom process between 2/10 and 3/15 sounds like:

Let's admit another student...
Time to scratch-off lottery ticket...
Wala, he/she is coming! / Oh, he/she may go to XXX school...

Reactions: 1 user
So, the AdCom process between 2/10 and 3/15 sounds like:

Time to scratch-off lottery ticket...
Wala, he/she is coming! / Oh, he/she may go to XXX school...

Voila?

Reactions: 6 users
I'm guessing interview seasons is still alive. This may be helpful.

Attended 4 MD IIs and 1 DO II --> 2 MD waitlists, 1 MD rejection, 1 pending MD decision, 1 pending DO decision, 1 upcoming DO II. LizzyM 71-72. My first II was at my state school and literally felt like it went so well, really natural and my interviewer and I had a lot in common. It felt like the best one-on-one interview thus far but still got alternate priority list (school is known to over-accept a lot and rarely pull off from the list). Seems like my chances might be better at getting off the waitlist of the other school, so fingers crossed. Pending MD school's MMI I feel I did really well, pending DO school's interview wasn't that great but my stats are higher compared to their average. Still haven't heard from 6 MD and 2 DO schools at all yet.

Chimimg in. It's good to know that I'm not the only one in the same position. I have interviewed at three schools so far. I was waitlisted at one and still haven't heard back from the other two. Everyday that passes I feel as though my chances of getting in are slipping away, and this is my second cycle.

This is from an article you can easily find on the internet. It has useful information if worst comes to worst and you have to reapply.

It was a study conducted for graduate school but I think it applies directly to medical schools.

Personal statements

• Avoid references to your mental health. Such statements could create the impression you may be unable to function as a successful graduate student.
• Avoid making excessively altruistic statements. Graduate faculty could interpret these statements to mean you believe a strong need to help others is more important to your success in graduate school than a desire to perform research and engage in other academic and professional activities.
• Avoid providing excessively self-revealing information. Faculty may interpret such information as a sign you are unaware of the value of interpersonal or professional boundaries in sensitive areas.
• Avoid inappropriate humor, attempts to appear cute or clever, and references to God or religious issues when these issues are unrelated to the program to which you are applying. Admissions committee members may interpret this type of information to mean you lack awareness of the formal nature of the application process or the culture of graduate school.

Letters of recommendation

• Avoid letters of recommendation from people who do not know you well, whose portrayals of your characteristics may not objective (e.g., a relative), or who are unable to base their descriptions in an academic context (e.g., your minister). Letters from these authors can give the impression you are unable or unwilling to solicit letters from individuals whose depictions are accurate, objective, or professionally relevant.
• Avoid letter of recommendation authors who will provide unflattering descriptions of your personal or academic characteristics. These descriptions provide a clear warning that you are not suited for graduate study. Choose your letter of recommendation authors carefully. Do not simply ask potential authors if they are willing to write you a letter of recommendation; ask them if they are able to write you a strong letter of recommendation. This question will allow them to decline your request diplomatically if they believe their letter may be more harmful than helpful.

Lack of information about the program (useful for secondary apps)

• Avoid statements that reflect a generic approach to the application process or an unfamiliarity with the program to which you are applying. These statements signal you have not made an honest effort to learn about the program from which you are saying you want to earn your graduate degree.
• Avoid statements that indicate you and the target program are a perfect fit if these statements are not corroborated with specific evidence that supports your assertion (e.g., your research interests are similar to those of the program’s faculty). Graduate faculty can interpret a lack of this evidence as a sign that you and the program to which you are applying are not a good match.

Poor writing skills

• Avoid any type of spelling or grammatical errors in your application. These errors are an unmistakable warning of substandard writing skills, a refusal to proofread your work, or willingness to submit careless written work.
• Avoid writing in an unclear, disorganized, or unconvincing manner that does not provide your readers with a coherent picture of your research, educational, and professional goals. A crucial part of your graduate training will be writing; do not communicate your inability to write to those you hope will be evaluating your writing in the future.

Misfired attempts to impress

• Avoid attempts to impress the members of a graduate admissions committee with information they may interpret as insincere flattery (e.g., referring to the target program in an excessively complimentary manner) or inappropriate (e.g., name dropping or blaming others for poor academic performance). Graduate admissions committees are composed of intelligent people; do not use your application as an opportunity to insult their intelligence.

Chimimg in. It's good to know that I'm not the only one in the same position. I have interviewed at three schools so far. I was waitlisted at one and still haven't heard back from the other two. Everyday that passes I feel as though my chances of getting in are slipping away, and this is my second cycle.
Are you me? This is my exact situation

Members don't see this ad :)
It is, ugh. I have only one more interview so far in a month, and I started seriously preparing for it today.
Good luck! I currently have no more interviews left, but I'm hoping that the next month brings good news!

guys, these waitlists are making me feel super demoralized as the spring drags on without any movement, and made much worse by the plethora of friends who act like I'm already accepted, or will inevitably be accepted, ("yeah, but you WILL get in!!") when that's just not guaranteed. could use a morale boost

I am you. You are me. We are each other. It is so annoying when everyone's like "stop complaining... at least you have interviews... im sure you'll get in"... Literally, ya never know. No one truly knows.

Just got waitlisted again by another school...

I am you. You are me. We are each other. It is so annoying when everyone's like "stop complaining... at least you have interviews... im sure you'll get in"... Literally, ya never know. No one truly knows.
IMG_4474.JPG

Reactions: 9 users
II back on Halloween and decisions won't be released till mid to late March. What's worse is that the more I replay my interview, the more mistakes I see I made. Not feeling so hot about my one and only II. My soul and sanity is slowly being withering away.

2 waitlists after 2 interviews, one more interview pending. We're in this together!

What kills me is that the people in this thread, in my opinion, seem far less arrogant and empathetic than many of the other threads.

Just going to leave this here!

randy-pausch-brick-wall-quote-collection-of-inspiring-quotes-brick-walls-quote.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Good luck to everyone here on the thread. I'm still in total radio silence from school. No rejection, no II. I hope your interviews come through. I'm getting ready to start some post bacc applications. I'm not giving up yet haha.

Reactions: 5 users
What kills me is that the people in this thread, in my opinion, seem far less arrogant and empathetic than many of the other threads.

We have less reason to be arrogant we have no acceptances lol! But tbh the waitlists, rejections, and wait overall has definitely humbled me and is probably good for me in the long run.

How's everyone remaining sane? I've never been so anxious in my life. I literally check my email every 15mins

Reactions: 8 users
How's everyone remaining sane? I've never been so anxious in my life. I literally check my email every 15mins
Slowly giving up hope but also being optimistic that may come tru clutch with some IIs super late

Reactions: 5 users
I was trying to seem a BIT less neurotic, butttttt every 5 mins is definitely more accurate haha
Not sure if we're in the same boat. I am still undergrad, so I just keep myself busy with school stuff. I also try to go 1 or days without checking any portals. Some days, I try to be so busy that I don't even think of my email or med school stuff... those are the good ones lol

I work and pick up extra shifts so I don't get to check my email

Hopefully with the events that take place on February 10th there will be some movement to accept more people. One can only hope!

My state school was my top choice but after replaying my interview in my head, I think I may not get in because I was asked what kinds of movies I enjoyed and I said. "Psychological thrillers and Horror movies" :oops:

What happened on 2.10?
Medical schools are able to see where accepted students in their program may also be accepted at (if I make any sense). This is to help gauge the likelihood that the accepted student will choose their program or not. Thus, if a student is more likely to choose another school, they will accept another student to hopefully fill the seat.

Medical schools are able to see where accepted students in their program may also be accepted at (if I make any sense). This is to help gauge the likelihood that the accepted student will choose their program or not. Thus, if a student is more likely to choose another school, they will accept another student to hopefully fill the seat.

@gonnif can correct me, but I’m pretty sure only schools who have accepted you can see where you’ve been accepted.

Guys don’t give up. I was in your boat until Thursday and then suddenly 2 acceptances in 2 days. Just as I started to really think about a contingency plan. You can do it

I wasn't sane to begin with; I'm sure as hell not sane now.

I've been binge watching lots of TV shows. I never was one for sad shows, but I am finding sobbing over "This is Us" on a regular basis to be cathartic.

Reactions: 3 users
I wasn't sane to begin with; I'm sure as hell not sane now.

I've been binge watching lots of TV shows. I never was one for sad shows, but I am finding sobbing over "This is Us" on a regular basis to be cathartic.

Oh man, that's such a great show. My wife and I love it. Have you seen the last two episodes?

Oh man, that's such a great show. My wife and I love it. Have you seen the last two episodes?
Not yet; I just started. Burned through season one in three days... starting season two now.

My husband isn't home yet, so I'm having the dilemma of do I watch without him or do I wait... :laugh:

Not yet; I just started. Burned through season one in three days... starting season two now.

My husband isn't home yet, so I'm having the dilemma of do I watch without him or do I wait... :laugh:

Oh man. Season 2 is awesome. You have to post after you watch the super bowl episode.

Hey guys! Joining in on the conversation. Applied to 20 schools, 18 secondaries, and 2 interview invites. Both are done now and I'm anxiously waiting to hear back.

I'm applying from overseas (US citizen, just abroad for a fellowship) and the time change + stalking my email for news has really just been fantastic.

Reactions: 3 users
JUST GOT MY FIRST ACCEPTANCE YESTERDAY! I am rooting for all of you guys, keep your head up! It is NOT over, yet!

Reactions: 28 users
JUST GOT MY FIRST ACCEPTANCE YESTERDAY! I am rooting for all of you guys, keep your head up! It is NOT over, yet!

It feels like yesterday you were telling us you're still waiting to hear back. I knew you would get it! So proud of you! Congratulations :soexcited::clap: Now go celebrate :hardy:

Let's go Let's go Let's go :claps: