***Official Pre-Med School FITNESS Goal Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
5'9 and 138, and you are "doughy?!" I'm having a hard time picturing that

Hey-everyone is built differently. But it sounds like I shouldn't have posted, like I originally thought. Good luck in your guys' goals.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey-everyone is built differently. But it sounds like I shouldn't have posted, like I originally thought. Good luck in your guys' goals.

Relax. It just sounds like you're fit on paper, but we all know the numbers are often only part of the story.

I have no idea what I can bench.

#doyouevenlift

225x6 2 sets today. BOOM! Haha

My goal is 300+. I weigh 200lbs so it's not that great... Ha my goal is to weigh around 185-190.ive lost 10 this year so far. For strength you guys/gals should look up jim wendler's 5/3/1 training program it's really good.

Members don't see this ad :)

My goal is 300+. I weigh 200lbs so it's not that great... Ha my goal is to weigh around 185-190.ive lost 10 this year so far. For strength you guys/gals should look up jim wendler's 5/3/1 training program it's really good.

:thumbup:

Just started reading up on the wendler. I am def going to do it

So, another update. I am kind of starting to eat healthy again. I am
My work held a raffle and I won this little wireless pedometer called the fitbit zip. I had never heard of it, and at $60 I wouldn't have spent money on it as it's basically a fancy pedometer.
Today was the first day I used it while at work and I've been shocked at the results. So far, I've walked over 14,000 steps, nearly 7 miles, and burned 2500 calories according to this thing! I've carefully measured how accurate it is at counting steps. I counted over 300 steps one time and my count and the pedometer count differed by 1 step. I told it my height and weight, but I'm not too sure about these numbers for total distance and calories.
Anyway, I was surprised to find I am a lot more active at work than I had previously assumed.

I am joining.

I will try to go to workout twice a day.

I will lift weights every other day.

I am going on a low carb diet... I did it before and it worked wonders.

My goal is to lose fat gain muscles.

Anyone donig Tough Mudder this year? Officially signed up for Philly one this year. If I don't have an event or something to look forward to/train to I have zero motivation.

Anyone do crossfit?
Seriously thinking about trying it

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile

Anyone do crossfit?

I used to and I loved it. Then I hurt my knee and I wasn't able to do a lot of the exercises so I stopped.
Now I just carefully lift weights at the gym.

Anyone donig Tough Mudder this year? Officially signed up for Philly one this year. If I don't have an event or something to look forward to/train to I have zero motivation.

I want to but it's coming here in September and I don't think I can be ready by then.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

So, another update. I am kind of starting to eat healthy again. I am
My work held a raffle and I won this little wireless pedometer called the fitbit zip. I had never heard of it, and at $60 I wouldn't have spent money on it as it's basically a fancy pedometer.
Today was the first day I used it while at work and I've been shocked at the results. So far, I've walked over 14,000 steps, nearly 7 miles, and burned 2500 calories according to this thing! I've carefully measured how accurate it is at counting steps. I counted over 300 steps one time and my count and the pedometer count differed by 1 step. I told it my height and weight, but I'm not too sure about these numbers for total distance and calories.
Anyway, I was surprised to find I am a lot more active at work than I had previously assumed.

Do you typically always walk this much? Only asking because if you do you're body probably has gotten used to it and uses much less energy probably. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong. Through in some interval sprints like twice a week and you could see a big difference

Do you typically always walk this much? Only asking because if you do you're body probably has gotten used to it and uses much less energy probably. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong. Through in some interval sprints like twice a week and you could see a big difference

No I don't usually walk that much. For example, I was covering a different shift/route today that has a lot more driving and I only totaled about 4500 steps or 2 miles. That's a huge difference! I may be getting assigned to do that more intense shift every day though, that would be awesome!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone do crossfit?

I'm not a fan. I have seen it do wonders for people's figures (especially women, for some reason). But some coaches/gyms allow form to deteriorate in the name of doing more movements, which poses a huge risk to your joints.

I'm not a fan. I have seen it do wonders for people's figures (especially women, for some reason). But some coaches/gyms allow form to deteriorate in the name of doing more movements, which poses a huge risk to your joints.

:thumbup:

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Since nutrition plays an important role in fitness, don't forget that it is National Nutrition Month! Yay for eating clean and healthy! What does everyone focus on nutritionally??

My diet is pretty free of processed foods, added sugars, refined sugars and grains, and artificial ingredients. I'm a pretty big nutrition nerd so I cook and prepare a lot of food! I follow a whole food diet with lots of fruits and vegetables, organic meat and eggs, wild caught fish, nuts, seeds, legumes, and minimal amounts of whole grains and organic dairy. I try to eat mostly paleo, but am not 100% committed. What works for everyone else?

Oh, and thanks to those who answered my question about targeting the lower back!

I am joining.

I will try to go to workout twice a day.

I will lift weights every other day.

I am going on a low carb diet... I did it before and it worked wonders.

My goal is to lose fat gain muscles.

This is the way to go, at least for me. People associated low-carb with eating unhealthy, but just stick to leafy greens and lean meats and it's a very effective diet. I lost 20 since January, and I'm lifting heavier than ever.

I'm a big fan of paleo too.

In my experience, the key to any "diet" is just getting people to pay attention to what and how much they're eating.

This is the way to go, at least for me. People associated low-carb with eating unhealthy, but just stick to leafy greens and lean meats and it's a very effective diet. I lost 20 since January, and I'm lifting heavier than ever.

I'm a big fan of paleo too.

In my experience, the key to any "diet" is just getting people to pay attention to what and how much they're eating.

This has been key in my experience. The more I'm aware of what I'm putting into my body and truly noticing how it makes me feel, the better I've ended up both feeling and looking.

1. Mehc012
2. Until last summer, my weight hadn't budged at ALL since puberty... I was 125 whether I ate, slept, worked out, or did none of the above. Then I got my first steady paycheck: enter delivery pizza overload :(
I gained 10lbs for the first time ever and promptly tore my ACL. Personally, I think my knee was offended that I asked it to carry the extra weight!
At any rate, I'm now almost a year post surgery, going absolutely bonkers w/o sports (or motorcycles), and kind of pissed at missing my senior season + losing my #1 method of meeting people in a new place! Time to get fighting fit again!
3. I got up to 140-145ish somewhere in between, got a belly and went up a pant size...plus living in my car = stopped doing PT. Since then I've started riding my bike a lot and eating better...back to 135 and size 4 so that's good!
4. I want my 125 back...it just feels really healthy to me, even when I went from out of shape to fit I always stayed 125.
I want my six pack back.
I want even quads again...none of this chicken leg BS.
I want enough knee strength to start playing pickup Ultimate!! :)

Sent via phone, please excuse typos and formatting errors!

Last edited:
Well I just spent the past two days dressing up as a mascot and visiting elementary schools with the Utah jazz mascot. Never sweat so much in my whole life. I think that should count for something. Lol

Got the flu last week so I've been outta commission. Was beginning to infuse cardio into my routine though, will pick back up today.

Looking to put on some solid mass before I start school and watch it app go away. 30lbs of muscle. Sup brah?

Any of you trying plant based diets? Lentils work wonders. Doing a trial and very promising. Plus: little cholesterol in mi diet... Pro?

Any of you trying plant based diets? Lentils work wonders. Doing a trial and very promising. Plus: little cholesterol in mi diet... Pro?

My wife and I are doing the "Eat To Live" plan with some recipes from the "Forks Over Knives" plan. Her nephrologist recommended it so she can get to where she needs to be for her kidney transplant.

We both feel great! I don't miss the carbonated sodas and junk/fast food. Don't crave the sweets either.

Nah, I'm just trying to cook more routinely...stir-fry is my new go-to...just keep some mixed frozen veggies around, buy chicken when it's on sale, a few sauces, and it's a quick/easy meal any given night. Pretty cheap, too. I figure if I cook one bulk meal (soup, stew, spaghetti sauce, etc) and one 'interesting' meal every week, and then fill the rest with BBQ and stir-fry, it'll be reasonably priced and decently healthy.

I DID make a rule for myself, though: no driving the car anywhere w/in 2mi. Bike only! Fortunately, that includes the grocery store!

dp. I hate Comcast so so so so so so SO very very much.

I have a confession I been eating bad and slacking off since Sat.

I just realize when I do not go out, which I normally don't do, all I do is sit down watch tv and eat. But that should stop soon, I am going to start working as a CNA. I am going to try to work as many hours as possible, I really need the money.

I feel like pre-meds have a hard time fining jobs. "What do you do?" Study. "What are your goals?" Leave here and go to med school.

My current stats:
max bench = 300 lbs. ( NFL combine = 225x12, NBA combine = 185x18)
squat = 405 lbs.
5'10/11, 195 lbs, 16" arms no pump, about 16% bodyfat, just finished a bulk.
Now cutting down to 185 (10% bodyfat) for the summer.

My goals:
-weigh 195 after cutting
-405 x 1 bench press
-18" arms

Anyone do crossfit?

I work at Crossfit, it's pretty intense if you want to lean out. I train at my job for free when I'm cutting. When I'm bulking I just go to my local gym.

Yeah, I think like anything else you have to find a place that is 100% committed to technique. I've been doing crossfit for several months now and I love it. One of the things I'm least looking forward to is leaving my box for med school. (As far as I can tell, there's no crossfit box in Kirksville)

I do crossfit 3-4x per week and run 2-3x per week. I'm also doing the Tough Mudder in IL in May. Hoping to keep it all up during school.

I'm not too fond of crossfit, working in the ER I have seen too many patients come in with injuries due to crossfit.

Currently training for 10k with my gf. My pace is down to low 10 minute mile, very excited about that.

Weights wise I'm weighing currently about 165-170 and benching 185x4. My squat numbers suck due to having a weird knee issue for several months. Trying to improve my squat numbers.

I'm not too fond of crossfit, working in the ER I have seen too many patients come in with injuries due to crossfit.

Currently training for 10k with my gf. My pace is down to low 10 minute mile, very excited about that.

Weights wise I'm weighing currently about 165-170 and benching 185x4. My squat numbers suck due to having a weird knee issue for several months. Trying to improve my squat numbers.

I want to start lifting but I've got weird knee stuff too. Worried about aggravating them, but would really like to lift.

I work at Crossfit, it's pretty intense if you want to lean out. I train at my job for free when I'm cutting. When I'm bulking I just go to my local gym.

see intense is kind of workouts I need or else I get extremely bored and unfocused. This summer I went through a round of insanity and I'm a rugby player so I am used to high intensity work outs

Yeah, I think like anything else you have to find a place that is 100% committed to technique. I've been doing crossfit for several months now and I love it. One of the things I'm least looking forward to is leaving my box for med school. (As far as I can tell, there's no crossfit box in Kirksville)

I do crossfit 3-4x per week and run 2-3x per week. I'm also doing the Tough Mudder in IL in May. Hoping to keep it all up during school.

awesome! What kind of results have you seen?

I want to start lifting but I've got weird knee stuff too. Worried about aggravating them, but would really like to lift.

Yup and this is my fear as well, except for its my back. I had a herniated disc a couple years ago and have scolios.

You may find lifting helps you out, depending on the nature of the injury. I have a torn left ACL that I mostly operate fine on, and squatting has been good for it.

see intense is kind of workouts I need or else I get extremely bored and unfocused. This summer I went through a round of insanity and I'm a rugby player so I am used to high intensity work outs

I work in their IT department so I pretty much organize their workout schedule and put it up for their members. The workouts change daily so you will never know what's going to happen next.. and their workouts are hardcore at times. I often I wonder if I'm burning fat or muscle.

I suggest Wendler 5/3/1 for anyone. Have only been using for a couple of weeks but it is very easy to follow and stick to. Most people who use it say it 100% works.

I'm down to 122 :) I've lost like 20 lbs since college. So pumped! I want to try an get to 117 before second look weekend in a couple of weeks. And hopefully 105-110 by med school.

How do you guys cut body fat? By eating high protein/low carb? I'm smaller (size 4, 5'4) now with slight muscle tone but still kinda pudgy in the thigh area (pear shaped). I just want the fat to come off my thighs!

So I want to lose 20 pounds by Aug. I know it possible I just need to lose about 5 pounds a month.

Right now I have cut back on my carbs. I use to eat alot of rice and pasta and I put a stop to that.
I added more veggies to my diet.
I really need to stop overeating and eating when I am not hungry.
I also take fish oil, multi-vit., and I am drinking apple cider vinegar.

I want to boost my workout time, when I work out at the gym I get so tired so I have decided that I will go to the gym once a day for at least 60 mins and I will take walk around my neighborhoods when time allows plus I will do more house chores which I know is great exercise.

How do you guys cut body fat? By eating high protein/low carb? I'm smaller (size 4, 5'4) now with slight muscle tone but still kinda pudgy in the thigh area (pear shaped). I just want the fat to come off my thighs!

As a latin male I must insist you do not lose any meat from your thighs, we like that.

As someone who wants to help, all you need to do to have continued weight loss is be in a calorie deficit.

It's thermodynamics. Use more than you take in and your body will use it's fat reserves for the extra energy. You can't choose where the fat comes off of though. If you want to see the fastest results, I suggest you run/walk staircases as often as possible. It will build muscle around the thighs and butt and give you a better look overall.

It is also KEY to stay active all day. If you work at a desk job, walk a little further for lunch and maybe take the stairs of your building. Move around every couple of hours. Doing a workout isn't always enough so stay consistenly active!

awesome! What kind of results have you seen?

Yup and this is my fear as well, except for its my back. I had a herniated disc a couple years ago and have scolios.

I love it. It's the first fitness program that I've fallen head over heels for. I used to run a lot, but it was always a chore.

I've only lost about 5lbs (5'7, 170) but I've leaned out a lot. I'm putting on muscle and am starting to see definition in my arms, abs, and legs. I'm hoping to lose about 10 more lbs, and get in better shape. I'd never touched a dumbbell before let alone a barbell, and now I can squat 165 lbs and deadlift 215. (Also, I'm a lady, ymmv).

I'm down to 122 :) I've lost like 20 lbs since college. So pumped! I want to try an get to 117 before second look weekend in a couple of weeks. And hopefully 105-110 by med school.

Yay! Awesome job :) I just weighed myself today and I'm down to 126, so that's 14 lbs from Dec 2011 and a little over 7 pounds since Dec 2012. I feel like I'm slowing down a little bit, but hopefully I can be in the 120 area by mid-May :)

This might be better off asked at Bodybuilded.com, but when should I first cut? Slender guy, first time lifting (normally just cardio). Obviously it takes a while to gain mass but I'm slowly starting to get a belly. I'm gaining between 1-2 pounds a week. Would you worry about mass in general and burn the belly later or burn the belly now?

Been infusing more cardio/HIIT into my workout routine. Dunno how it's affecting my cut but I feel fantastic.

Anyone do crossfit?

Late to this discussion but don't do crossfit. I know of too many people who have been hurt by that high-speed, form-ignorant rep orgy.

If you want intensity in your workout, go to the gym early in the morning/late at night so it's empty, and move quickly between sets, not between reps.

This might be better off asked at Bodybuilded.com, but when should I first cut? Slender guy, first time lifting (normally just cardio). Obviously it takes a while to gain mass but I'm slowly starting to get a belly. I'm gaining between 1-2 pounds a week. Would you worry about mass in general and burn the belly later or burn the belly now?

Depends on what your goals are. BB.com will be the best to find answers. If you are naturally slender and can run you should be able to cut pretty easily/quickly.

Also depends on how you're bulking. I've been on a clean bulking diet for a few months and barely need to cut anything, but my gains have been slower than yours (probably not even a lb a week) but cleaning up my diet has left me with much less to actually cut. And a clean diet will help me sustain my figure once school kicks in.

My current stats:
max bench = 300 lbs. ( NFL combine = 225x12, NBA combine = 185x18)
squat = 405 lbs.
5'10/11, 195 lbs, 16" arms no pump, about 16% bodyfat, just finished a bulk.
Now cutting down to 185 (10% bodyfat) for the summer.

myron. sorry for triple post.

Been infusing more cardio/HIIT into my workout routine. Dunno how it's affecting my cut but I feel fantastic.

I did HIIT for a while and enjoyed it. Though I think doing HIIT on a treadmill is what contributed to me having knee problems.

I did HIIT for a while and enjoyed it. Though I think doing HIIT on a treadmill is what contributed to me having knee problems.

Ah gotcha, yeah I do mine on the elliptical. Already got a knee issue that I don't need to put at further risk.