***Official Pre-Med School FITNESS Goal Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I really enjoyed HIIT.. the sessions left me feeling like death afterwards but I leaned out a lot faster with it.. plus it sure as hell beats running on the treadmill for an hour..

I recently started crossfit and I had no idea it was this brutal. I friggin love it! I can see how its easy to get injured if you don't know what you're doing though. At my gym its mandatory for all newcomers to go through a few weeks of intro classes where you go through all the lifts etc.. so im sure that cuts down on crappy form..

But if all else fails.. there's always Shake Weight :laugh:

shake-weight-o.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had some pretty good gains thus far.

Started at 142--I'm now at 150. I'm 5'7.

Hoping to continue my new found passion for working out into Med School

Consistency is key. Keep it up and it shouldn't be a problem

Yay! Awesome job :) I just weighed myself today and I'm down to 126, so that's 14 lbs from Dec 2011 and a little over 7 pounds since Dec 2012. I feel like I'm slowing down a little bit, but hopefully I can be in the 120 area by mid-May :)

Thanks :) and congrats on the long term weight loss, it's difficult keeping it off for a whole year+. And Im sure you'll reach your goal weight by then.

Yeah--the biggest issue is that my Gym is pretty far--and it's a super drag to drive out there.

Once I resume school--I should be able to stay more consistent. Right now I can only go weekly.

Buy a pullup bar to go over a doorway. Can never go wrong with some pullups if you can't make it to the gym!

I was just laid off from my job so I will have plenty of time to be working out now! Have Tough Mudder Philly comin up so that will keep me motivated. I SUCK at wide grip pullups, so my goal is to be able to do 3 sets of 10 by the time school starts.

Last edited:
Buy a pullup bar to go over a doorway. Can never go wrong with some pullups if you can't make it to the gym!

this and more. you should look into an adjustable dumbbell set too. and an ab roller.

you can do a ton of stuff at home with a good dumbbell set if you can't make it to the gym multiple times a week. brb multiple curls, tri push ups, tri kick backs, front/side raises, poverty shoulder press on kitchen chair, poverty dumbbell bench on floor/coffee table, rows, shrugs, lunges, squats, standing oblique crunches, calf raises.... etc.

throw in push ups, pull ups, an ab roller, and a multivitamin and you're getting shredded at home.

I was just laid off from my job so I will have plenty of time to be working out now! Have Tough Mudder Philly comin up so that will keep me motivated. I SUCK at wide grip pullups, so my goal is to be able to do 3 sets of 10 by the time school starts.

This. Pull-ups/chin ups are the worst exercise ever. they are one of the absolute best for you, but I have the biggest mental block with them. brb sets of 5...

This. Pull-ups/chin ups are the worst exercise ever. they are one of the absolute best for you, but I have the biggest mental block with them. brb sets of 5...

Seems like no matter how much I work at it, I just suck with pull-ups. I mean I did go from being able to do none to being able to do maybe 3, but that's not anywhere near enough.
Sit-ups, squats, push-ups, no problem. Just not improving on the pull-ups. :(

Seems like no matter how much I work at it, I just suck with pull-ups. I mean I did go from being able to do none to being able to do maybe 3, but that's not anywhere near enough.
Same here. No matter how often I do them, no matter what, I end up not gaining any pull-ups.

Keep pressing with them. You gotta be stubborn and consistent. Do sets of 3 if three is all you can do. Just keep doing sets throughout your workout until you've done like 15 all together. Then keep adding as you can. I went from being able to do like 3 max at a time and like 15 total to sets of 5 and like 40 total in not that long. Still can't quite get sets of ten, frustratingly. Frustrating exercise for sure.

Forget sit-ups. Do the frog crunch. Too much hip-flexor activation in sit-ups.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've posted about it before, but I need to start lifting. I walk between 35-40 miles per week at my job, and I'm feeling great walking that much, but I really feel the need to lift and gain some strength now.
I've got it all planned out too. Go to the gym right by work and work out in the morning, shower and then go to work. Problem is, I have yet to lock down a workout routine that I can follow Mon-Fri. I have little to no experience lifting so I'm not sure of proper technique/form or what groups of exercises to do, nothing.
Just gotta make a plan and dive in I guess. :)

So I am joining orange theory. I am doing the 2 classes per week.

I've posted about it before, but I need to start lifting. I walk between 35-40 miles per week at my job, and I'm feeling great walking that much, but I really feel the need to lift and gain some strength now.
I've got it all planned out too. Go to the gym right by work and work out in the morning, shower and then go to work. Problem is, I have yet to lock down a workout routine that I can follow Mon-Fri. I have little to no experience lifting so I'm not sure of proper technique/form or what groups of exercises to do, nothing.

I started out on the 5x5 StrongLifts routine back in 2008-09. Really simple stuff, good for beginners imo. The paragraphs of marketing surrounding the actual routine are a little tacky, but it's solid.

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=BeginnerWorkoutPrograms

Focus on consistency and form at first.

So now that I have a steady income I am going to dump YouFit for LAFitness or OrangeTheory... I am leaning towards OrangeTheory.

I also saw that with an OrangeTheory Workout you are burning calories for about 20-30 hours after the workout. I am def. on Orange Theory.

Last edited:
1. CountSpockula
2. Used to be an avid runner- having a kid messed that up a bit and I want it back.
3. Current Weight: 136lbs, (5'4")- slightly lumpy in the middle.
4. Goal Weight: 120lbs, lean runners body, want to look damn sexy.

Bring it.

So I join Orange Theory today and got the unlimited package-- the price I had to pay will motive me to come in abt 5+ times a week.

This thread has died down...

I did a weigh in yesterday at Orange Theory and

I gain .6 pounds but my fat mass decreased by 7.4 lbs and my muscle mass increased by 8 lbs.

1) pepes1lv1a
2) i'm signed up for a half marathon and tough mudder this may, plus looking good nekkid
3) very small, good shape but could always be better -- 113 lbs, 5'1
4) Bench 95 Squat 135 Deadlift 155 (current bench 75 squat 130 deadlift 140) and 9:25 miles for upcoming half marathon (9:42 as of two yrs ago). Also would like to learn how to swim before the mudder

So I ran a 5k and it went really well, finished it in like 30 minutes. Then I began training for 10k however the run times were getting too be too long, an hour + run and I also love to lift so I was doing like 2+ hours of exercise on some days, just too much. I plan on scaling back to just doing 5k training and lifting.

My knee has been bothering me, so my cardio has gone down significantly. I've been doing a bunch of push-ups and sit-ups though, because I've got a PT test in a couple of weeks. I've also been doing a lot of yard-work (Yay spring!)
After the PT test though, I will be back to a more complete work-out plan.

So I ran a 5k and it went really well, finished it in like 30 minutes. Then I began training for 10k however the run times were getting too be too long, an hour + run and I also love to lift so I was doing like 2+ hours of exercise on some days, just too much. I plan on scaling back to just doing 5k training and lifting.
Congrats! It's hard to find advice out there for people who want to lift and run... every time I look up lifting programs for runners it advises something weird like 2 sets of 8-10 reps. I like my 3x5!

Also right there with you on the attention span thing. Running gets boring to me after a while; a half marathon is my absolute limit. I think that's why I gravitated towards weightlifting -- it's just as intense of a workout crammed into a shorter span of time.

My brother had one of those, and it appeared to damage the frame a bit. and man pull-ups are seriously killer.

Good Luck!

After my MCAT on May 11th, I am gonna start hitting the gym again 2 times a week. I've been stagnating recently, but I currently weigh 152--and I'm looking to hit 160 by the end of summer.

Gotta look good for those shirtless OMM classes :laugh::laugh::laugh:

185 at 11% BF right now...trying to get down to 8% by August. Intermittent Fasting by Lyle McDonald with a Thibaudeau aesthetic workout plan should do the trick :)

Also running the Lincoln Tunnel 5k next week, anyone else in the area doing this??

now 5 weeks into the wendler 5-3-1 program and I definitely notice a big difference in how I look/feel and my strength. Of course, gains as a novice are a lot bigger than intermediate/advanced lifters but it is still pretty sweet. I highly suggest this routine to anyone looking to increase strength. I have the flu now though so taking a nice 5 day break from the routine.

I've made serious gains lately. Noob gains of peace. Lifts are flying up. PRs just about every week. 1rm on bench up to 180. Squattin 225x4. Just got into deads so only doing around 200 yet, focusing on form.

Take your multi everyone.

In other news I did a body composition test and VO2 max last week.

brb 9.1% bf (i suspect error honestly)
brb 54.5 ml/kg/min
brb above 90th percentile in age group
brb brb

So I was looking online and some website think my muscle gain of 8 lbs in 2 week isn't good. But I dont care. As long as the fat keeps burning and muscles keep coming I am good.

Also it is so funny that I gain that much muscle this quickly I ate horrible and it not like I was going heavy on protein.

I am going to start eating healthier and see what happens during my next weigh in at OrangeTheory.

So I was looking online and some website think my muscle gain of 8 lbs in 2 week isn't good. But I dont care. As long as the fat keeps burning and muscles keep coming I am good.

Yea..I don't think that is all muscle. Gaining 8 lb of pure muscle would be minimum 2 months of intense and correct training.

Yea..I don't think that is all muscle. Gaining 8 lb of pure muscle would be minimum 2 months of intense and correct training.

I weigh myself on the gym machine and it tells you your total weight, muscle weight, muscle percentage, fat weight, fat percentage, BMI, etc.

I weigh myself on the gym machine and it tells you your total weight, muscle weight, muscle percentage, fat weight, fat percentage, BMI, etc.
The only way I know of getting an accurate BMI measurement without submerging yourself in a volumetric tank is by using calipers. You can't input your weight and step on a scale. Try taking chest, bust, underbust, and waist measurements. Those will tell you more how your BMI is changing.

Yeah..that is not accurate. I will put it more bluntly. You did not gain 8lb of muscle in 2 weeks. Unless you are shooting up with the most intense steroids ever created, it didn't happen. It just is not physically possible to gain that much pure muscle in so short of a time. I would say you gained .5-1lb of muscle and the rest is fat/water. Think about it a little.

Yeah, those things just aren't that accurate. Anything that you step on to is going to be good for one thing: telling you how much you weigh.

And sometimes they aren't even good at that :laugh:

185 at 11% BF right now...trying to get down to 8% by August. Intermittent Fasting by Lyle McDonald with a Thibaudeau aesthetic workout plan should do the trick :)

Also running the Lincoln Tunnel 5k next week, anyone else in the area doing this??

I did intermittent fasting I think for about....3 weeks / 1 month. It's ok, however during hour 15 of fasting literally the only thing i could think about was food. I rather just eat normally and count calories. It's worked wonders.

I did intermittent fasting I think for about....3 weeks / 1 month. It's ok, however during hour 15 of fasting literally the only thing i could think about was food. I rather just eat normally and count calories. It's worked wonders.

Ick. That's what I hate the most, calorie counting haha. Works great if you have the patience to do it, unfortunately I don't. I can handle not eating 16 hours, especially since 10 of those hours are during sleep sleep. High carb/Low fat on workout days (4x/week), Low carb/Moderate Fat on rest days (3x/week). Easy peasy.

No broscience but I just eat like he** on days that I lift or run and not on days that I don't and it seems to do the trick. Always high proton, mostly low fat/carb but no cycling involved really. Slowly adding weight and not adding BF%.

Bottom line is eat clen, and tren hard.

wait wait wait...... I spelled something wrong :rolleyes: silly sdn mobile..... :rofl:

I forgot to tell you guys I join a weight loss challenge and if I win, I get 500 cash and gift cards. This should really motivate me, since I need the cash.

I am thinking about over exercising for the next 6 weeks so I can win the challenge.

no broscience but i just eat like he** on days that i lift or run and not on days that i don't and it seems to do the trick. Always high proton, mostly low fat/carb but no cycling involved really. Slowly adding weight and not adding bf%.

bottom line is eat clen, and tren hard.

wait wait wait...... I spelled something wrong :rolleyes: Silly sdn mobile..... :rofl:

lol

to get everyone motivated i think we should all post progress pictures. ;)

to get everyone motivated i think we should all post progress pictures. ;)
I think it's a good idea but I'm not about to be the first.

I've been weight training all winter and got my 5 RM numbers up to 130 squat, 155 deadlift, 75 bench, 60 power clean, and a measly 50 OHP (my least favorite. also, I'm a girl, and my upper-body numbers progressed way more slowly than lower-body).

I'm signed up for a cinco de miler (har) race this sunday, a tough mudder in two weeks, and a half marathon with my mom at the beginning of june.

I need some help. I'm going to be really embarassed if I can't keep up with my mom, but after all this weight training in the winter, I'm afraid I can't do distance running anymore. I ran a half 2 years ago and a 10k this autumn, but that was before embarking upon my journey to swole. I've stopped lifting now because I want to focus on cardio endurance and running, but it seems like I get worse every time I go out. I've gone from maxing out at 6 miles to 5 miles to 3 miles to LESS THAN 1 MILE in the span of this past week. How am I getting worse every time I go out? It's not all physical I know, but mentally I feel like I'm just miserable and I want to stop. Anyone ever experience this? I'm not sure if it's having taken so much time off running, the regular weightlifting, or just me being a wuss.

Gonna go try again. If I don't make it more than 3 miles you can all call me names.

I think it's a good idea but I'm not about to be the first.

I'm signed up for a cinco de miler (har) race this sunday, a tough mudder in two weeks, and a half marathon with my mom at the beginning of june.

I've stopped lifting now because I want to focus on cardio endurance and running, but it seems like I get worse every time I go out. I've gone from maxing out at 6 miles to 5 miles to 3 miles to LESS THAN 1 MILE in the span of this past week. How am I getting worse every time I go out? It's not all physical I know, but mentally I feel like I'm just miserable and I want to stop. Anyone ever experience this? I'm not sure if it's having taken so much time off running, the regular weightlifting, or just me being a wuss.

Gonna go try again. If I don't make it more than 3 miles you can all call me names.
how was the cinco de miler?

i think you just need to work towards a better cardiovascular shape. you can certainly do heavy lifting and running at the same time (except when you decide to bulk and then run around at sub-200 lbs, that wasn't fun). but anyhow, i think the caveat is that you need to be in good cardiovascular shape since the beginning. then you get into lifting and just maintain your running. i lift 3-4 days a week and run on weekends or whenever there's good weather. my pace hasn't really dropped until i started bulking. so you can do it! perhaps a running a buddy? some motivation? if you are in DC i'll come yell at you.

or if you (or anyone) is on nike+... we can play the leaderboards.

Wait...you've said this earlier in the thread!

I'm gonna pass, again.
tumblr_maxcnapn1T1qjdybjo1_500.gif
lol.. well i thought given a few months have passed, improvements have been made, people would change their mind? ;)

Mini marathon complete! Looking for another one to run... maybe in October if I can keep up running and studying :(

Mini marathon complete! Looking for another one to run... maybe in October if I can keep up running and studying :(

congrats! how many miles was the mini marathon?

how was the cinco de miler?

i think you just need to work towards a better cardiovascular shape. you can certainly do heavy lifting and running at the same time (except when you decide to bulk and then run around at sub-200 lbs, that wasn't fun). but anyhow, i think the caveat is that you need to be in good cardiovascular shape since the beginning. then you get into lifting and just maintain your running. i lift 3-4 days a week and run on weekends or whenever there's good weather. my pace hasn't really dropped until i started bulking. so you can do it! perhaps a running a buddy? some motivation? if you are in DC i'll come yell at you.

or if you (or anyone) is on nike+... we can play the leaderboards.

lol.. well i thought given a few months have passed, improvements have been made, people would change their mind? ;)
the cinco de miler was surprisingly alright! good news: I broke a ten minute pace; bad news: my mom beat me :(

I think you're right, I just need to get out and force myself to run farther. I really hadn't thought about how much higher my baseline was last time I started training for the half, because I had spent the winter on the treadmill and derping around the dumbbell benches instead of hitting the squat rack hard.

also, people went ALL OUT with the costumes. it was awesome. there was a guy in a full (black, and it was sunny) bandelero outfit with a sombrero who passed me. he was jingling from those coin things attached to the pants. it was motivating.

also, didn't know you guys called them mini! I always called them half marathons. nothing seemed mini about it to me when I did it last...

also, not on nike+ but I am on fitocracy as pepe_silvia if any of you out there are fitocrats :)

Today was a horrible day, I went in for a facial and the esthetician comment about how whatever I am using is not working for my skin and she suggested me a bunch of products.... so after that I was in shock I was planning to go to LA fitness because I wanted to change gyms but I could not even get out of the car. I headed right to Applebee's and stuff myself with food.

I believe this on top of work and my empty love life set me to eat.

It not like I am using OTC products, I have prescribed facial creams.

Ouch. That sucks.

I had really bad acne as a kid and people said some very insensitive things. It's almost like people thought I was actively trying to cultivate my bad skin. :rolleyes:

Don't let it get to you. Some people are just clueless.