OFFICIAL Rejection Thread for 2009 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
During my MSPP interview day I met a guy who had already been invited to interview at Denver. The UD admissions counselor he spoke to told him 06 March was the latest day to interview. I assumed that was the last day anyone could interview, but I guess that could have been specific to him.

howd your mspp interview go? i have mine in a few weeks.

Members don't see this ad.

I just came across this site last night (amazing!) and joined.... here is my list of rejections so far

Indiana State University PsyD
Virginia Consortium PsyD
Vanderbilt Clinical PhD
Loyola College in Maryland PsyD
George Washington University PsyD

Wait listed at
Utah State Univ Clinical PhD
University of Alabama-Birmingham Clinical PhD

Has anyone else heard back from any of these programs as far as waitlist, acceptance, or rejection?

I received an interview invite at ISU the last weekend in January.

"Thank you for applying to our Clinical Graduate Program. We have reviewed your application from among the 137 that we received for Fall, 2009. We have contacted 35 individuals from these applications and invited them for interviews. We had the pleasure of screening many fine candidates this year. As the number of students we can accept is limited, we chose those people who seemed to provide the best fit with the strengths of our program."

I am very curious to know the type of people they accepted here. I went to an interview this past weekend at a school and I ran into 2 people who received the same rejection letter--no interview invite. And this was a comparable school.

What a bummer--but oh well...life could be a LOT worse.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've posted this in other threads - I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything from Boston University's clinical psychology program. Their second interview day was yesterday, so I'm thinking decisions will be made pretty soon.
Thanks!

Has anyone heard anything from University of Houston??

Rejected Outright:
Southern Illinois U - Carbondale
Marquette U

Waitlisted:
Northwestern U -Feinberg School of Medicine

Rejected After Interview:
Michigan State U

Never Heard From:
Catholic U of America
U of Maine
U of North Carolina - Greensboro
Ohio U
Rutgers U -New Brunswick
Temple U
Western Michigan U

What are you guys gonna do about all the schools you haven't heard from? I know some sent out invites. Maybe they lost my applications?

I was surprised that it took this long! I haven't received one official rejection yet, even though I knew that it was coming since all of the schools have invited applicants to interview already. Stinks that it was one of my top choices : ( arrived via snail mail.

Finally got sick of waiting and emailed the DCT at CWRU and got a very nice email back saying that I was a strong candidate but all interview invites for Fall 09 have already gone out. :(

I checked the online application tracker:
Your application for 09 Fall has been completed and you will receive a letter with our decision shortly.
I'm guessing my first rejection as I didn't interview with them. Any one else hear from them?

I just got emails back from my POI's.. rejected at USF and UNC-Greenboro. :( I am totally devestated and heartbroken as I have been hoping everyday to hear something positive from either of those programs... 2 of my 3 top choices (and got a rejection from the third top choice already) :(
I haven't heard from 6 of the 7 schools I applied to... including UNC-Greensboro

I'm guessing this is bad news... =-\

What are you guys gonna do about all the schools you haven't heard from? I know some sent out invites. Maybe they lost my applications?

It's actually pretty common not to hear back from some until closer to April 15. Some schools feel that it's a bad idea to reject everyone outright, when various circumstances may cause them to dive into the non-interviewee pool for options (e.g., if none of their offers are accepted, if they aren't thrilled with any of the interviewees, etc.).

I emailed the psych grad admissions coordinator at Minnesota (I applied to the clinical science track) to inquire about my application status and she sent me this:

"Your application file was reviewed by the faculty and I am sorry to inform you that we are not able to offer you admission to the graduate program in Psychology. We received applications from a larger number of highly qualified students than we are able to admit, given the available resources. Official notification will come to you from the Graduate School."

My ApplyYourself status still says this "Application Complete -- sent to program." :rolleyes:

I posted this in the invite thread but felt it was appropriate here as well....

"I want to take this time to say to anybody that has lost all hope...Do NOT give up! This is my second year applying. Last year I did not even get an interview and because of that, this year I was very pessimistic about the whole thing. I have great credentials (years of research, publications, conferences, 2 years undergraduate teaching experience, and good GPA) but what I did NOT have was great GRE scores (above average but not excellent). I assumed that would keep me out of the running. This year however, I found the school I was meant to be at. Not only were they willing to overlook the GRE scores, they were so enthusiastic about me. Everything happens for a reason, now I see the reason. I didn't get in last year because I didn't apply to the right school for me. This year I did and it worked out. Just don't give up people!"

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody received a rejection letter from Rutgers for their clinical psyd. program, or checked their application status online and had a decison link to click on??

I got the USF rejection letter email as well. Seems as if they came through like a tornado! That was in my top 3 programs to get into..oh well... IM going to the University of IOWA!!!

how d you know that their last interview day is 3/6? they told me on the phone today that they are still sending out interview invites

the last interview day is actually march 7th. at least, that's when i'm interviewing!

no idea on if they're still extending invites, but i'm pretty sure that's the last possible interview day. hope this doesn't stress anyone out : (

I know I'm being naive and hopelessly optimistic, but until I actually hear and/or read the rejection, I choose to believe that I may still have a chance. Yes, I am officially the Pollyanna of this forum:love:

I know I'm being naive and hopelessly optimistic, but until I actually hear and/or read the rejection, I choose to believe that I may still have a chance. Yes, I am officially the Pollyanna of this forum:love:

If it's a fantasy, I'm on-board.

But it might be a truth. I'm sure a lot of schools do just not reject people until everything is set with the people they're accepting (that is, at this point, for those schools, we're doomed.)

But there are some situations in which they do make last minute interviews and/or additions to the class. It just does happen.

I think of it like the lottery. The numbers haven't all been read, so I'm not throwing away my ticket yet.

Do you know what they call the last person admitted to a PhD program?

Admitted.

I have yet to hear from any schools for a PhD and am still hopefully about one school for a MA.

I am a type 1 diabetic and need to stay a full time student in order to stay on my parent's health insurace (extremely important for me!) so my plan B is Capella University for a master's in Clinical Psych.

Will it be too difficult for me to move on to an APA accredited school with my MA from Capella?? :confused:

Will it be too difficult for me to move on to an APA accredited school with my MA from Capella?? :confused:
Yes.

They are not a reputable program. You are better off taking classes at a local University or Community College. You could take CC classes for next to nothing, keep your status, and re-apply next year.

I have yet to hear from any schools for a PhD and am still hopefully about one school for a MA.

I am a type 1 diabetic and need to stay a full time student in order to stay on my parent's health insurace (extremely important for me!) so my plan B is Capella University for a master's in Clinical Psych.

As a fellow type 1 diabetic, can I suggest also considering getting a RA position? I know mine came with good health insurance (actually the exact same plan I had had under my parents). Most hospitals and universities will probably offer good plans.

the last interview day is actually march 7th. at least, that's when i'm interviewing!

no idea on if they're still extending invites, but i'm pretty sure that's the last possible interview day. hope this doesn't stress anyone out : (

i'm still a bit hopeful, as i have yet to hear anything from denver. how do you know that this date is the last interview? they seem to be pretty private on disclosing info

Got a rejection letter from Syracuse University's clinical psychology PhD program via snail mail.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love your outlook! Positive thinking is powerful! Good luck!

If it's a fantasy, I'm on-board.

But it might be a truth. I'm sure a lot of schools do just not reject people until everything is set with the people they're accepting (that is, at this point, for those schools, we're doomed.)

But there are some situations in which they do make last minute interviews and/or additions to the class. It just does happen.

I think of it like the lottery. The numbers haven't all been read, so I'm not throwing away my ticket yet.

Do you know what they call the last person admitted to a PhD program?

Admitted.

I love your outlook! Positive thinking is powerful! Good luck!

I had a dream last night in which I received a large package in the mail. Only after careful reading did I realize that it was a rejection letter. Attached to the bottom of the letter was a small stack of emery boards with the school's name on them, I guess as a kind of consolation prize.

To all those hardcore psychoanalytics out there:

EMERY BOARDS?

i'm still a bit hopeful, as i have yet to hear anything from denver. how do you know that this date is the last interview? they seem to be pretty private on disclosing info

i was originally going to interview for both the IDP masters program as well as the Psy.D program... this created a bit of a scheduling issue, so i went through nearly all possible interview dates with the admissions counselor. I definitely could be wrong, but my take was that they have two interview weekends for the psy.d and, barring any special circumstances, that's it. and i DO know that those weekends are 2/27-2/28 and 3/6-3/7.

I had a dream last night in which I received a large package in the mail. Only after careful reading did I realize that it was a rejection letter. Attached to the bottom of the letter was a small stack of emery boards with the school's name on them, I guess as a kind of consolation prize.

EMERY BOARDS?

Maybe it relates to the application process being so "rough"? :laugh:

I was rejected from Emory's Clinical PhD program via email yesterday. I knew it was coming, but yesterday was the day!

I just got back from DU's interviews and, yes, next weekend's the last interview weekend offered. :(

EMERY BOARDS?

Was the rejection from Emory? ;)

EMERY BOARDS?

maybe the school thought your application was a little rough around the edges? :D

Received my rejection letter over the weekend. I also got an email from Hofstra but it turned out to be their Graduate Studies Newsletter. What a tease!

maybe the school thought your application was a little rough around the edges? :D

It wasn't from Emory, and it probably was a little rough around the edges...

Anyone know if IU held clinical interviews last weekend?

When are their interviews?
When did you hear?
I can't get into the website to check my status.

Snail mail informed me that UNC-Chapel Hill won't be offering me admission. Figured that one was coming!

Rejected from University of Rochester via email

and

University of Oregon via snail mail

Just got my rejection from GWU tonight via snail mail--not a huge surprise, since I didn't get an interview, but still sad to see it on paper. :( Ah well, I just have to make it to my last interview next Monday & I'm going to be done! Can't wait to see where I end up! :D

Received my rejection letter over the weekend. I also got an email from Hofstra but it turned out to be their Graduate Studies Newsletter. What a tease!

I got that too! I simply adore it when my heart goes from 70 BPM to 180 and then back down again in a matter of seconds... :eek:

Oh, btw, got the OFFICIAL official rejection email from the Admissions Director at Fordham today. Said their reason for rejecting me was that they had too many applicants. Hmph.

My boyfriend got all pissed off when they rejected me: "They are so F***ING stupid... you're going to be an AMAZING psychologist! Ugh, sweetie, they're the ones who have lost, here. In 15 years when you are world renown, I'm going to send them back that rejection letter with nothing but a huge, red question mark on it."

Aside from making me laugh, that made the rejection all worth my while. :love:

Oh, btw, got the OFFICIAL official rejection email from the Admissions Director at Fordham today. Said their reason for rejecting me was that they had too many applicants. Hmph.

My boyfriend got all pissed off when they rejected me: "They are so F***ING stupid... you're going to be an AMAZING psychologist! Ugh, sweetie, they're the ones who have lost, here. In 15 years when you are world reknown, I'm going to send them back that rejection letter with nothing but a huge, red question mark on it."

Aside from making me laugh, that made the rejection all worth my while. :love:

Awwww! What a wonderful guy! He is a keeper, JennyAnn! :)

so today I got a snail mail letter from Florida. I expected that it would be a rejection since I didn't get an interview invite but surprisingly it said that although I was not invited to interview, my application was highly rated and that I am an alternate for admission and may be asked to phone interview as late as april 13. I'm guessing this means that if for some freak reason no one who interviewed accepts an offer there they might call me? i'm wondering if they sent this to everybody or if i really do have some slim chance of still getting in? anyone have any clue?

Whenever I get a rejection, I just go "Who wants to live in (place school is located), anyway!?"

It helps, a little ;)

did anyone get rejected from fordham after an interview? i got waitlisted and so did everyone else i've spoken to (granted my sample size is like 4) so i'm wondering if they wait list everyone they don't accept in the initial round of offers?

I got the same letter, and I noticed they wrote it at the beginning of February but didn't send them until after the interview weekend. I'm not sure what it means exactly either, and even if we do get telephone interviews, does that mean we can get accepted just by phone or would they ask us to go there to interview too?

so today I got a snail mail letter from Florida. I expected that it would be a rejection since I didn't get an interview invite but surprisingly it said that although I was not invited to interview, my application was highly rated and that I am an alternate for admission and may be asked to phone interview as late as april 13. I'm guessing this means that if for some freak reason no one who interviewed accepts an offer there they might call me? i'm wondering if they sent this to everybody or if i really do have some slim chance of still getting in? anyone have any clue?
--
I got the same letter, and I noticed they wrote it at the beginning of February but didn't send them until after the interview weekend. I'm not sure what it means exactly either, and even if we do get telephone interviews, does that mean we can get accepted just by phone or would they ask us to go there to interview too?

I just want to add that a lot of the process is luck. So many applicants and it can really some down to the mood someone is in on that day. I agree with everything said about the GRE, I thought i studied enough and I was able to pull my math to a 600 but the more I studied verbal the worse I seemed to get. I only got a 1030 on GRE and a 630 on psych GRE but I did get 2 interivews. I am just saying I know a lot of people who did better than me and did not get an interview aka a huge luck factor.