*** Official *** SFSU (San Francisco State University) Post-Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for your post and congrats! I too am impressed with the organization and structure. I met with Dr. Rothman and he was very kind, encouraging, and knowledgable. Hopefully I too will be accepted in Cohort 6. I don't really know what the stats are for number of applicants vs. number of accepted students. I didn't complete my app until closer to the deadline, so I am still waiting for an invitation to interview. I need to edit my general gpa in my other post, found out it is a 3.5! (I didn't realize the school I graduated from only counted my institutional gpa,my transfer gpa was excluded).
Will you take gen chem this summer, or do you already have it? And will you be in calc or pre-calc?

I would really love to stay local for med school so UCSF will probably be my number 1 choice, and of course it is an amazing program.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I also applied early January and interviewed for the program mid-March.

I was very impressed the program. The interview was casual and all the students were very nice and welcoming. I interviewed with two students and it seemed to go well. SFSU's my top choice, so I hope I get in...but seeing as ICantWait got accepted on Monday, I'm not sure what my status is (commence panicking...). I would think if they just email admission offers, they would do it all in one day, why spread it out?

Has anybody else heard back?

Last edited:
Hello,

I am about 3/4 done with my application for this upcoming Fall 2011 SFSU post-bac program. I still have a bit more to edit in terms of my statements.

If I understand correctly, the deadline to apply for this upcoming Fall 2011 SFSU post-bac program is June 1st, 2011. For the AET, the website says the following about the admissions process:

"Because of this more evenly distributed admissions process, we will review all accumulated AET applications after the announced deadline each semester. AET applications arriving after the deadline...will be carried over for consideration during the following semester."

1. Does this mean, unlike the rolling admissions for the CCT track, that it will NOT necessarily be to my advantage to submit my application as much before the June 1st deadline as possible? Or would it be better to try to finish my statements as soon as possible and submit my online application in the next week or so? I have already requested my official transcripts to be sent, and all of my letters of recommendation have been received. I'm just trying to gauge how much time I should spend working on my statements, or if I can take a little more time in the upcoming weeks to edit them.

2. If the deadline is June 1st, and they start reviewing applications after the deadline, about how long should I expect before I hear anything back regarding an interview or rejection? Is there any chance that they would start interviewing people before the June 1st deadline if applicants have completed their application requirements?

3. If I am not fortunate enough to be accepted for the Fall 2011 cohort, would I be allowed to re-apply for the Spring 2012 cohort? I worry that since they only accept 10-20 students each semester, it seems like somewhat of a long-shot that I will get accepted the first time around. Does anyone have experience in having to re-apply?

Thanks in advance for any help, I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I also applied early January and interviewed for the program mid-March.

I was very impressed the program. The interview was casual and all the students were very nice and welcoming. I interviewed with two students and it seemed to go well. SFSU's my top choice, so I hope I get in...but seeing as ICantWait got accepted on Monday, I'm not sure what my status is (commence panicking...). I would think if they just email admission offers, they would do it all in one day, why spread it out?

Has anybody else heard back?

The reason they spread it out is they do rolling admissions. As apps come in they "complete" the file (meaning they gather your app, your transcripts, and your LOR's, all into one file), then the file goes in for review. If they like you, then you get an email inviting you to interview. The app deadline is March 15, though they take them later than that. Those who completed their file and interviewed before the deadline will probably get the first acceptances (I am guessing). Then others, who submitted at the deadline or after, will get acceptances as they go through the process.

So if your file was completed and you interviewed before March 15 I would say definitely call them and find out what is up with your file. But I bet you will get your acceptance soon :)
What are your stats like? If you don't mind me asking...

Hello,

I am about 3/4 done with my application for this upcoming Fall 2011 SFSU post-bac program. I still have a bit more to edit in terms of my statements.

If I understand correctly, the deadline to apply for this upcoming Fall 2011 SFSU post-bac program is June 1st, 2011. For the AET, the website says the following about the admissions process:

"Because of this more evenly distributed admissions process, we will review all accumulated AET applications after the announced deadline each semester. AET applications arriving after the deadline...will be carried over for consideration during the following semester."

1. Does this mean, unlike the rolling admissions for the CCT track, that it will NOT necessarily be to my advantage to submit my application as much before the June 1st deadline as possible? Or would it be better to try to finish my statements as soon as possible and submit my online application in the next week or so? I have already requested my official transcripts to be sent, and all of my letters of recommendation have been received. I'm just trying to gauge how much time I should spend working on my statements, or if I can take a little more time in the upcoming weeks to edit them.

2. If the deadline is June 1st, and they start reviewing applications after the deadline, about how long should I expect before I hear anything back regarding an interview or rejection? Is there any chance that they would start interviewing people before the June 1st deadline if applicants have completed their application requirements?

3. If I am not fortunate enough to be accepted for the Fall 2011 cohort, would I be allowed to re-apply for the Spring 2012 cohort? I worry that since they only accept 10-20 students each semester, it seems like somewhat of a long-shot that I will get accepted the first time around. Does anyone have experience in having to re-apply?

Thanks in advance for any help, I really appreciate it.

It is ALWAYS to your advantage to get your app done as early as possible. It is a rolling admissions, but you should still strive to get in as early as possible before slots are full. For all you know, they have filled their slots! Get that app in ASAP :)

I don't know much about the AET, I am going for the CCT, and our program starts June 1. But it seems logical that they would accept you for the next semester if you miss the fall acceptance. AET is not really a cohort because each of you have completed different requirements. Good thing your transcripts are in, and your LOR's, they don't submit your app until your file is complete. Take a minute and finish those statements and submit it! I think the AET is more competitive, there are more AET's in general than CCT's. Don't be discouraged, just do your best and get used to submitting things as early as possible, you will need to do this for every other med school, MCAT, etc. thing over the next 10 years. If you don't get in, you can always try to do Open U for a semester while you wait to get in the next semester.

It is ALWAYS to your advantage to get your app done as early as possible. It is a rolling admissions, but you should still strive to get in as early as possible before slots are full. For all you know, they have filled their slots! Get that app in ASAP :)

I don't know much about the AET, I am going for the CCT, and our program starts June 1. But it seems logical that they would accept you for the next semester if you miss the fall acceptance. AET is not really a cohort because each of you have completed different requirements. Good thing your transcripts are in, and your LOR's, they don't submit your app until your file is complete. Take a minute and finish those statements and submit it! I think the AET is more competitive, there are more AET's in general than CCT's. Don't be discouraged, just do your best and get used to submitting things as early as possible, you will need to do this for every other med school, MCAT, etc. thing over the next 10 years. If you don't get in, you can always try to do Open U for a semester while you wait to get in the next semester.

Thank you for the good advise Cowgirl7. I will definitely try to submit my online application as soon as possible. If I'm not accepted for this coming fall, I plan to [attempt to] take classes through Open Campus. However, when I called the Open Campus representative from the UC that I plan on taking classes at, it seems pretty unlikely that I'll be able to get into the classes that I need to re-take. Hopefully it all turns out =\

Well, it was a bit delayed, but I just found out today of my acceptance to the program. Yay :) I will be attending.

B.A., Sociology from UCBerk, GPA: 3.30. No science GPA.
I haven't taken the GRE or DATs (for obvious reasons)

Last edited:
Well, it was a bit delayed, but I just found out today of my acceptance to the program. Yay :) I will be attending.

Longcatislong,

If you don't mind me asking, when did you submit your application? And this is for the Dental Post-Bac, yes?

Got a call from the SFSU office yesterday, saying that my Post-Bacc app. is complete and under review. Phone call was followed by a confirmation email. UCSF also sent me an email yesterday saying my application is under review and that I should hear back in a couple of weeks. Good luck to all! They both seem like great programs from what I've read and heard.

Last edited:

Congrats Longcat!!! I'm so happy for you!

@pinkestdream, my application was complete late january. A few weeks later I got an interview invite. And I applied for CCT.

@The Right Path, thanks :)

@pinkestdream, my application was complete late january. A few weeks later I got an interview invite. And I applied for CCT.

@The Right Path, thanks :)
Congrats, longcatislong!! :)

I applied to the Dental Post-Bac Program. Hopefully I will hear from them soon!

Members don't see this ad :)

Awesome, so happy for you :D

I submitted my app 3/14 (though didn't get my LOR's in for another week).
I received an email that it was "completed" 4/5
I received an email today 4/9 inviting me to interview.

I am so excited! SFSU is my number one choice!

B.A. Philosophy,
cGPA 3.5, sGPA 4.0

Last edited:
I submitted my app 3/14 (though didn't get my LOR's in for another week).
I received an email that it was "completed" 4/5
I received an email today 4/9 inviting me to interview.

I am so excited! SFSU is my number one choice!

B.A. Philosophy, Mills College
cGPA 3.5, sGPA 4.0

Wooo! Good luck!

Is anyone else applying for the SFSU Dental Post Bac program?

And is it always better to submit your application early for this program? I've read from other forums that admissions wait until the deadline and collectively go through all the applicants and THEN send out interviews invites...

I'm worried because I submitted 1 day prior to the deadline. :(

Is anyone else applying for the SFSU Dental Post Bac program?

And is it always better to submit your application early for this program? I've read from other forums that admissions wait until the deadline and collectively go through all the applicants and THEN send out interviews invites...

I'm worried because I submitted 1 day prior to the deadline. :(

Hey There!
I applied to pre-med, not sure how different the app process is.
I submitted mine one day before the deadline but LOR's didn't get in til a week after that. Mine still got completed and got my interview invite pretty quick.
Hang in there, I know the waiting is hard!

Longcatislong,

Are you pre-med or pre-dent?

I'm pre-dent. I applied CCT, however, because I have not previously completed any of the pre-dental science requirements in undergrad. The pre-dental postbac there is targeted more towards applicants who have already completed those requirements and just need an extra boost in their gpa's before they apply.

someone should start a thread for this years class! Not really sure how to do that or else I would

This is a question for all of you currently doing the program at SFSU. Do you think it would be possible to do a masters program in clinical psych or computer science while doing the formal program? The reason I ask is because while I am extremely enthusiastic about doing the program, I am not at all enthusiastic about paying $30K for it. Additionally, I think I would lose my ****ing mind if I did all of this work and paid all of this money only to be rejected from every medical school I apply to - I don't like to be so pessimistic, but I think a little realism is healthy. This is why I want to do a masters program on the side so I have SOMETHING to fall back on. Otherwise I will be a UC psych grad with extra science/math course and a $30,000 debt.

In addition, from what you all know about medical school admissions, do medical schools like if you do a lot of extra curricular activities? For example, I am doing a few community service/leadership kinds of activities and was wondering if it would help. Or do medical schools only look at relevant experience (e.g., published papers, hospital volunteering, shadowing, etc.) If so, how have you sought out or gained experience? With UCSF and other schools within the vicininty, I'd assume it is fairly difficult to get the type of experience medical schools like to see.

Any input is enormously appreciated.

This is a question for all of you currently doing the program at SFSU. Do you think it would be possible to do a masters program in clinical psych or computer science while doing the formal program? The reason I ask is because while I am extremely enthusiastic about doing the program, I am not at all enthusiastic about paying $30K for it. Additionally, I think I would lose my ****ing mind if I did all of this work and paid all of this money only to be rejected from every medical school I apply to - I don't like to be so pessimistic, but I think a little realism is healthy. This is why I want to do a masters program on the side so I have SOMETHING to fall back on. Otherwise I will be a UC psych grad with extra science/math course and a $30,000 debt.

In addition, from what you all know about medical school admissions, do medical schools like if you do a lot of extra curricular activities? For example, I am doing a few community service/leadership kinds of activities and was wondering if it would help. Or do medical schools only look at relevant experience (e.g., published papers, hospital volunteering, shadowing, etc.) If so, how have you sought out or gained experience? With UCSF and other schools within the vicininty, I'd assume it is fairly difficult to get the type of experience medical schools like to see.

Any input is enormously appreciated.

This is just my opinion, but doing a masters program concurrently with post-bacc AND expecting to do WELL in all your classes is a lofty goal. Personally, I wouldn't be able to handle the demands of both programs simultaneously. If you are serious about going to medical school, then completing your science prerequisites at SFSU is a good choice. Sure, it is a risk, as medical school admission is competitive and nobody is guaranteed anything, but if you carefully considered this and really want to go into medicine (and you didn't complete any sciences as an undergrad) than doing a post-bacc program is what you must do. Also, once you're done with medical school, you'll have FAR MORE than $30k to pay back...so don't worry too much about your post-bacc debt in the grander scheme of things. The debt is worth it. Bottom line, if you're serious about medicine, go to post-bacc and focus solely on learning and getting the best grades possible so you can do well on the MCAT. Don't waste time doing a masters simultaneously, it'll only detract from your ability to perform well in your med-school prereqs and take away valuable free time in which you could volunteer/shadow/etc.

Thanks for your reply. My biggest concern is though if I do only focus on the post bacc science classes and I don't get into med school I would go crazy. Because now I would have debt and be stuck without a job or any sort of career. I know med school is A LOT of money, but at least then I'll have a career goal. In other words, I really don't want to waste my money.

Do people generally re-apply for medical school? Within the program, how helpful are your classmates/professors? Do they try and sabotage you?

Thanks for your reply. My biggest concern is though if I do only focus on the post bacc science classes and I don't get into med school I would go crazy. Because now I would have debt and be stuck without a job or any sort of career. I know med school is A LOT of money, but at least then I'll have a career goal. In other words, I really don't want to waste my money.

Do people generally re-apply for medical school? Within the program, how helpful are your classmates/professors? Do they try and sabotage you?

You seem way too focused on the money. There is no way you would even have time to do 2 programs simultaneously-have you explored the sfsu phpcp website and looked at the daily/weekly schedule? You will barely have time to work, let alone get in all the volunteer, shadow, other EC's, etc. This is a serious program requiring focus and discipline. Your questions lead me to believe that you either are not sure about pursuing medicine or you simply haven't done your research. This is a wonderful program, worth every penny as far as I can tell (in app process). If you really want to study medicine, the money is just part of the deal, you just make it work. My impression is that the students are VERY supportive of each other. Going pre-med is a big commitment! An awesome one. I hope that if it is what you really want, you won't let money stop you.

On a practical note, you pay per semester, not 30K up front. If you are not getting mostly A's in your first semester or two, you can evaluate whether or not med school is realistic for you. SFSU has a very good looking acceptance rate to med school (especially in the CCT), but at the end of the day, you are the one who puts the time and effort in and determines your success. So you would know well before spending 30K whether or not you will get in.

Would you be CCT or AET?

And yes lots of people re-apply.

I won't lie. Money is a HUGE factor and the biggest reason why I am extremely hesitant. I realize that there is no guarantee of admission to medical school at any institution, but I feel with the steep price of this program (and most post-bacc programs), I should be able to get something from it in the case that things go awry.

To answer your question, I would do CCT.

And the pay per semester thing actually makes me feel better.

To answer your question, I would do CCT.

And the pay per semester thing actually makes me feel better.

;-)
Well, if you are going to apply for cohort 6, better hurry, acceptances are already going out and it starts in June!

Oh I'm not applying for this year, but next year in February. I still have a year of undergrad left, but wanted to get an idea of what to expect and what I should be preparing for (i.e., should I begin to look around for shadowing opportunities, volunteering, etc.?)

Oh I'm not applying for this year, but next year in February. I still have a year of undergrad left, but wanted to get an idea of what to expect and what I should be preparing for (i.e., should I begin to look around for shadowing opportunities, volunteering, etc.?)

If you haven't graduated, you are much better off doing year 1 of your pre-meds next year, then you can do a 5th year in your undergrad to finish your pre-meds. Almost no reason to do a post-bacc program when you still have a year to go and the option to take a 5th year.

Just my opinion of course. It would definitely be cheaper.

There are two main reasons why I don't do the science courses while still as an undergrad: 1) The science courses I have taken have been extremely basic and I don't think I am ready to take more advanced science courses especially here, which leads me to my 2nd reason 2). Berkeley is one of the worst places to do pre-med. There is grade deflation. The pre-med classes are HUGE (Chem 1A and 3A - General Chem and O-Chem both have a limit of 500+ seats, all of which fill up) and graded based on curves. Mix this in with the fact that the majority of the students are above average and are looking to do pre-med. Taking pre-med classes here would be killer.

There are two main reasons why I don't do the science courses while still as an undergrad: 1) The science courses I have taken have been extremely basic and I don't think I am ready to take more advanced science courses especially here, which leads me to my 2nd reason 2). Berkeley is one of the worst places to do pre-med. There is grade deflation. The pre-med classes are HUGE (Chem 1A and 3A - General Chem and O-Chem both have a limit of 500+ seats, all of which fill up) and graded based on curves. Mix this in with the fact that the majority of the students are above average and are looking to do pre-med. Taking pre-med classes here would be killer.

Oh I see, didn't realize you were at Berkeley. That is a tough situation! Does Berkeley have any cross-campus agreements with other colleges in the area? Maybe you could at least take one class each semester next year, at a different school. I know Mills students can take classes at Berkeley, not sure if it works in reverse.

Oh I see, didn't realize you were at Berkeley. That is a tough situation! Does Berkeley have any cross-campus agreements with other colleges in the area? Maybe you could at least take one class each semester next year, at a different school. I know Mills students can take classes at Berkeley, not sure if it works in reverse.

As far as I know, there is none here (other than the one for graduates). Does open university have any priority registration?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but are the classes curved? I'm wondering because I know there are cohorts and classes are going to be mostly post-bac students and it seems like everyone would be serious about that A (moreso than undergrad), so wondering how the curve would work out...(if done).

Applied in Feb for CCT, app complete as of March 26. I called and was told that my app was just reviewed and I should be hearing from them, but that was last week. I'm getting pretty anxious right now. SFSU is by far my first choice. I have other apps ready to go, but if I can get into SFSU there's nothing else to consider.
:confused:

Applied in Feb for CCT, app complete as of March 26. I called and was told that my app was just reviewed and I should be hearing from them, but that was last week. I'm getting pretty anxious right now. SFSU is by far my first choice. I have other apps ready to go, but if I can get into SFSU there's nothing else to consider.

It's only been a week since they told you your app was complete and under review? Give them time! Calm down! I know, I know, easier said than done! But try. You'll hear back from them one way or another. They're probably busy with coordinating lots of different aspects of the program, not just reviewing apps, so give them time :) Good luck!

It's only been a week since they told you your app was complete and under review? Give them time! Calm down! I know, I know, easier said than done! But try. You'll hear back from them one way or another. They're probably busy with coordinating lots of different aspects of the program, not just reviewing apps, so give them time :) Good luck!

No, they told me it was complete as of March 26 and under review.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but are the classes curved? I'm wondering because I know there are cohorts and classes are going to be mostly post-bac students and it seems like everyone would be serious about that A (moreso than undergrad), so wondering how the curve would work out...(if done).

That's a great question! I am under the impression it isn't curved. But don't know for sure.

I don't blame you. Hang in there, hope you get the interview invite soon!!! Mine came via email on a Saturday. I interviewed and am waiting (torture), to find out if I am in. Fingers crossed for ya!

That's a great question! I am under the impression it isn't curved. But don't know for sure.

At the informational session I went to, they said classes are curved, but on a curve that consists of the combined undergrad classes going back 10 years. (If I understood it correctly).

At the informational session I went to, they said classes are curved, but on a curve that consists of the combined undergrad classes going back 10 years. (If I understood it correctly).

Ok, thanks! That's an interesting way to do it! Sounds pretty reasonable.

Question: is Bio lab included in the curriculum? I don't see it listed and I know it is a requirement for some medical schools...

EDIT: I just looked again. A 'b' denotes a lab and that confused me because it wasn't written out as Bio Lab later whereas others (Like Physics Lab) were. So, it seems they do have labs...they must. Sorry about asking a dumb question!

Anybody taking o-chem or g-chem?

You mean this summer?
I am taking Gchem this summer. A little nervous, especially regarding the placement test. I haven't done any chemistry since 1995 (high school)!
Although they said no one has failed to place in Gchem, so that is good. I am reviewing a high school chem book, and plan to take the boot camp as well.
All assuming I get in! Ha ha ha... (the waiting is tough!)

Oh I better start reviewing! I also haven't take chemistry since my sophomore year of high school (2003). I'm still not sure whether I will be enrolling in the Boot Camp....What happens to those who don't place in the class? I suppose that does happen occasionally, right?

I put "sfsu" in the search, and the thread for Cohort 6 did not show up. Seems like it should...

EDIT: I guess you have to put "sfsu cohort" to get it. Seems odd to me, that very old threads about sfsu would come up, and not the most recent. Like you would really have to know the title of a thread to find it, sort of defeats the purpose of doing a general search, no?

Last edited: