You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Official Sleep Medicine Fellowship 2019-2020 Thread!
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I’m applying this year. My PD was on medical leave and still hasn’t gotten my letter in. Hoping a late app won’t effect my chances too much.
I applied - haven't heard anything yet. SO nerve wracking. Is there supposed to be this delay? I am sure they are inundated by the applications. I read somewhere unofficial that they send out offers 2 weeks after so I am not that worried but now I can't the source of that info.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hoping we all start hearing from programs soon! How many applicants per spot do most programs interview?
Any one heard from any programs?
Nothing so far. Just university of Arizona acknowledging they received our applications.
Any updates? This has been such a long week already!
CPAPawaken
New Member
Got an interview from GW.
How may letter of recommendation you assigned, 3 or 4?
Got an interview from GW.
Congrats!
What's your residency specialty? Also, concur with question about LOR, did you have multiple sleep medicine physicians write LORs? Thanks!
CPAPawaken
New Member
Some programs require 4, others require 3. GW said 3 on their website.How may letter of recommendation you assigned, 3 or 4?
CPAPawaken
New Member
residency = IMCongrats!
What's your residency specialty? Also, concur with question about LOR, did you have multiple sleep medicine physicians write LORs? Thanks!
Yes, I did but I don't think it's a requirement to have letters from sleep physicians.
Which programs require 4?Some programs require 4, others require 3. GW said 3 on their website.
CPAPawaken
New Member
Heard from Dartmouth today.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've heard from GW, Emory and Dartmouth.
IV compiled list:
GW
Stanford
Yale
Dartmouth
Emory
IV compiled list:
GW
Stanford
Yale
Dartmouth
Emory
Sleepmylifeaway
Full Member
IM, didn’t get all my LORs assigned till today but heard from UTSW and Emory. What specialty is everyone else?
Sleepmylifeaway
Full Member
UT Houston, Utah, and GW
IV compiled list:
GW
Stanford
Yale
Dartmouth
Emory
UTSW
UT-Houston
University of Chicago
Vanderbilt
GW
Stanford
Yale
Dartmouth
Emory
UTSW
UT-Houston
University of Chicago
Vanderbilt
Sleepmylifeaway
Full Member
Mayo Rochester and Jackson Memorial-Miami
Shoot didn’t hear from Cleveland. Do programs send out all invites at once?I have heard from Cincinnati, Cleveland Clinic, University of Washington, and Yale
CPAPawaken
New Member
Got IV from Thomas Jefferson.
Iv from ohsu and hcmc
I got a invite from Stanford and would like to go but I’m thinking about logistics of going there for a year. I have a spouse and two kids. Spouse stays home with kids. Can I even live there for a year with a family of four on fellows salary? Don’t want to use savings to get through.
Has anyone heard from the Chicago or Michigan programs?
Sleepmylifeaway
Full Member
No not yet.Has anyone heard from the Chicago or Michigan programs?
CPAPawaken
New Member
Cleveland Clinic, Indiana U, Uni Buffalo.
Have not heard from Chicago, Michigan and North Carolina programs.
Have not heard from Chicago, Michigan and North Carolina programs.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sleepmylifeaway
Full Member
I got a invite from Stanford and would like to go but I’m thinking about logistics of going there for a year. I have a spouse and two kids. Spouse stays home with kids. Can I even live there for a year with a family of four on fellows salary? Don’t want to use savings to get through.
I would look at their posted salary online. Are you pulm/critical trained? If so then maybe because you’d be receiving pgyVII salary. But it would still probably be very tight due to high cost of living in the Bay Area.
Sleepmylifeaway
Full Member
Is there a recommended number of interviews one should attend for sleep medicine?
I’m not I’m psychiatry. I’ve been researching housing there and it’s insane. I don’t know how anyone training there gets by. I could moonlighting I guess but don’t want to be working all the time.I would look at their posted salary online. Are you pulm/critical trained? If so then maybe because you’d be receiving pgyVII salary. But it would still probably be very tight due to high cost of living in the Bay Area.
Just so we have an up to date list:
IV compiled list:
GW
Stanford
Yale
Dartmouth
Emory
UTSW
UT-Houston
University of Chicago
Vanderbilt
Cincinnati Children's
Cleveland Clinic
University of Washington
Mayo Rochester
Jackson Memorial
Thomas Jefferson
UC Davis
Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU)
Hennepin
JFK
University of Buffalo
Indiana University
Medical College of Wisconsin
IV compiled list:
GW
Stanford
Yale
Dartmouth
Emory
UTSW
UT-Houston
University of Chicago
Vanderbilt
Cincinnati Children's
Cleveland Clinic
University of Washington
Mayo Rochester
Jackson Memorial
Thomas Jefferson
UC Davis
Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU)
Hennepin
JFK
University of Buffalo
Indiana University
Medical College of Wisconsin
CPAPawaken
New Member
Temple and Baylor
So how many people do they normally invite for spots? It looks like in one of the programs its 10 invites for 2 spots...Does that mean an IV=high likelihood of matching?
Sleep Medicine Match---rank order list is separate from the general fellowship match list. Has anyone ever done two different matches? Like if you go unmatched in sleep, you can participate in other match since it's 1 month later?
Sleep Medicine Match---rank order list is separate from the general fellowship match list. Has anyone ever done two different matches? Like if you go unmatched in sleep, you can participate in other match since it's 1 month later?
D
deleted997790
I’m curious about this also...So how many people do they normally invite for spots? It looks like in one of the programs its 10 invites for 2 spots...Does that mean an IV=high likelihood of matching?
Sleep Medicine Match---rank order list is separate from the general fellowship match list. Has anyone ever done two different matches? Like if you go unmatched in sleep, you can participate in other match since it's 1 month later?
How many interviews are people doing? Getting all this time off work and the expense of traveling is going to limit me to 4 or 6 max.
How many interviews are people doing? Getting all this time off work and the expense of traveling is going to limit me to 4 or 6 max.
Yeah I was wondering the same thing! This week has been slow in terms of invites so its been hard to gauge which interviews to keep/cancel in anticipation of geographically closer programs. Buying flights <30 days from departure can get expensive.
D
deleted997790
Is anyone gonna address this part =/Sleep Medicine Match---rank order list is separate from the general fellowship match list. Has anyone ever done two different matches? Like if you go unmatched in sleep, you can participate in other match since it's 1 month later?
Sleepmylifeaway
Full Member
I don’t see why you couldn’t participate in match with other fellowships since it’s still based off if nrmp, but I’m not 100% sure. I heard about a fellow who applied for ID and didn’t match and ended up doing nephro.
Sleepmylifeaway
Full Member
I agree. I was anticipating more email inbox action this week.Yeah I was wondering the same thing! This week has been slow in terms of invites so its been hard to gauge which interviews to keep/cancel in anticipation of geographically closer programs. Buying flights <30 days from departure can get expensive.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
IV compiled list:
GW
Stanford
Yale
Dartmouth
Emory
UTSW
UT-Houston
University of Chicago
Vanderbilt
Cincinnati Children's
Cleveland Clinic
University of Washington
Mayo Rochester
Jackson Memorial
Thomas Jefferson
UC Davis
Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU)
Hennepin
JFK
University of Buffalo
Indiana University
Medical College of Wisconsin
Temple
Baylor
Washington University
Stony Brook
UAB
UNC
UIC
University of Maryland
University of Michigan
University of Missouri
Henry Ford
Boston University
GW
Stanford
Yale
Dartmouth
Emory
UTSW
UT-Houston
University of Chicago
Vanderbilt
Cincinnati Children's
Cleveland Clinic
University of Washington
Mayo Rochester
Jackson Memorial
Thomas Jefferson
UC Davis
Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU)
Hennepin
JFK
University of Buffalo
Indiana University
Medical College of Wisconsin
Temple
Baylor
Washington University
Stony Brook
UAB
UNC
UIC
University of Maryland
University of Michigan
University of Missouri
Henry Ford
Boston University
What's the practical way to decline an IV? Do you not respond, or just e-mail them notifying why you are declining? I would hate to take up IV slots for people who are waiting for those locations. I know California is HIGHLY sought after, but like another user mentions the cost of living, and for me no family in the area would hurt.
I wish we could SWAP IV! Haha
I wish we could SWAP IV! Haha
Sleepmylifeaway
Full Member
I’ve been emailing declines and in addition doing it through eras on the ones who offered through eras.What's the practical way to decline an IV? Do you not respond, or just e-mail them notifying why you are declining? I would hate to take up IV slots for people who are waiting for those locations. I know California is HIGHLY sought after, but like another user mentions the cost of living, and for me no family in the area would hurt.
I wish we could SWAP IV! Haha
I have been waiting to decline some because I can only do a limited number and a few I’m interested in haven’t come in yet
Anybody heard from Denver?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 47
- Views
- 22K
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 4K
- Replies
- 157
- Views
- 40K