Official Sleep Medicine Fellowship 2019-2020 Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Horchata89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! Thought I would go ahead and start this thread seeing as the application season is upon us! Anyone applying this year? Any helpful tips or recommendations for the upcoming interview cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

I’m applying this year. My PD was on medical leave and still hasn’t gotten my letter in. Hoping a late app won’t effect my chances too much.

I applied - haven't heard anything yet. SO nerve wracking. Is there supposed to be this delay? I am sure they are inundated by the applications. I read somewhere unofficial that they send out offers 2 weeks after so I am not that worried but now I can't the source of that info.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hoping we all start hearing from programs soon! How many applicants per spot do most programs interview?

Any updates? This has been such a long week already!

I have heard from Stanford (Aug/Sep) and Yale (Sep) so far

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
I've heard from GW, Emory and Dartmouth.

IV compiled list:
GW
Stanford
Yale
Dartmouth
Emory

IM, didn’t get all my LORs assigned till today but heard from UTSW and Emory. What specialty is everyone else?

IV compiled list:
GW
Stanford
Yale
Dartmouth
Emory
UTSW
UT-Houston
University of Chicago
Vanderbilt

I heard from GWU for an IV.
Many other programs say they will start looking at applications by the end of this week and first week of August.

I have heard from Cincinnati, Cleveland Clinic, University of Washington, and Yale

I got a invite from Stanford and would like to go but I’m thinking about logistics of going there for a year. I have a spouse and two kids. Spouse stays home with kids. Can I even live there for a year with a family of four on fellows salary? Don’t want to use savings to get through.

Has anyone heard from the Chicago or Michigan programs?

Cleveland Clinic, Indiana U, Uni Buffalo.
Have not heard from Chicago, Michigan and North Carolina programs.

I got a invite from Stanford and would like to go but I’m thinking about logistics of going there for a year. I have a spouse and two kids. Spouse stays home with kids. Can I even live there for a year with a family of four on fellows salary? Don’t want to use savings to get through.

I would look at their posted salary online. Are you pulm/critical trained? If so then maybe because you’d be receiving pgyVII salary. But it would still probably be very tight due to high cost of living in the Bay Area.

Is there a recommended number of interviews one should attend for sleep medicine?

I would look at their posted salary online. Are you pulm/critical trained? If so then maybe because you’d be receiving pgyVII salary. But it would still probably be very tight due to high cost of living in the Bay Area.
I’m not I’m psychiatry. I’ve been researching housing there and it’s insane. I don’t know how anyone training there gets by. I could moonlighting I guess but don’t want to be working all the time.

Just so we have an up to date list:

IV compiled list:
GW
Stanford
Yale
Dartmouth
Emory
UTSW
UT-Houston
University of Chicago
Vanderbilt
Cincinnati Children's
Cleveland Clinic
University of Washington
Mayo Rochester
Jackson Memorial
Thomas Jefferson
UC Davis
Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU)
Hennepin
JFK
University of Buffalo
Indiana University
Medical College of Wisconsin

So how many people do they normally invite for spots? It looks like in one of the programs its 10 invites for 2 spots...Does that mean an IV=high likelihood of matching?
Sleep Medicine Match---rank order list is separate from the general fellowship match list. Has anyone ever done two different matches? Like if you go unmatched in sleep, you can participate in other match since it's 1 month later?

So how many people do they normally invite for spots? It looks like in one of the programs its 10 invites for 2 spots...Does that mean an IV=high likelihood of matching?
Sleep Medicine Match---rank order list is separate from the general fellowship match list. Has anyone ever done two different matches? Like if you go unmatched in sleep, you can participate in other match since it's 1 month later?
I’m curious about this also...

How many interviews are people doing? Getting all this time off work and the expense of traveling is going to limit me to 4 or 6 max.

How many interviews are people doing? Getting all this time off work and the expense of traveling is going to limit me to 4 or 6 max.

Yeah I was wondering the same thing! This week has been slow in terms of invites so its been hard to gauge which interviews to keep/cancel in anticipation of geographically closer programs. Buying flights <30 days from departure can get expensive.

Heard from Washington Univ ped track today

I’m trying to schedule the ones that I will need to fly for later in the game

Is anyone gonna address this part =/

I don’t see why you couldn’t participate in match with other fellowships since it’s still based off if nrmp, but I’m not 100% sure. I heard about a fellow who applied for ID and didn’t match and ended up doing nephro.

Yeah I was wondering the same thing! This week has been slow in terms of invites so its been hard to gauge which interviews to keep/cancel in anticipation of geographically closer programs. Buying flights <30 days from departure can get expensive.
I agree. I was anticipating more email inbox action this week.

I am from Psychiatry. Applied to 16 programs, almost all in western US.

To date, I have interview offers from:
UC Davis
OHSU
UAB (Birmingham)

Hoping to hear from several others.

IV compiled list:
GW
Stanford
Yale
Dartmouth
Emory
UTSW
UT-Houston
University of Chicago
Vanderbilt
Cincinnati Children's
Cleveland Clinic
University of Washington
Mayo Rochester
Jackson Memorial
Thomas Jefferson
UC Davis
Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU)
Hennepin
JFK
University of Buffalo
Indiana University
Medical College of Wisconsin
Temple
Baylor
Washington University
Stony Brook
UAB
UNC
UIC
University of Maryland
University of Michigan
University of Missouri
Henry Ford
Boston University

What's the practical way to decline an IV? Do you not respond, or just e-mail them notifying why you are declining? I would hate to take up IV slots for people who are waiting for those locations. I know California is HIGHLY sought after, but like another user mentions the cost of living, and for me no family in the area would hurt.

I wish we could SWAP IV! Haha

What's the practical way to decline an IV? Do you not respond, or just e-mail them notifying why you are declining? I would hate to take up IV slots for people who are waiting for those locations. I know California is HIGHLY sought after, but like another user mentions the cost of living, and for me no family in the area would hurt.

I wish we could SWAP IV! Haha
I’ve been emailing declines and in addition doing it through eras on the ones who offered through eras.

I have been waiting to decline some because I can only do a limited number and a few I’m interested in haven’t come in yet