Hey guys I need some advice. I am going to retake august 6 and I am applying to all the Texas schools(TMDSAS)
I have already applied, is it wise to indicate a future retake or try to see if I get any interviews and not let them know.
Stats/Extracurricular
3.5 gpa
37-47 overall on the mcat
Mcat
chem/phys. 62-77
verbal 17-32
biology 49-64
psychology 38-53
280 hours shadowing
1 year scribe (600 hours)
full time job during undergrad.
Trying to apply this cycle
In 2013 I was in the same dilemma as you - I had taken mid-June MCAT only to score a 26 on it. My friends pushed me to retake in August and despite my best judgment, I retook it, only to see it go up by 1 freaking point. I did not improve at all in VR as both scores were 6.
I then went on to finish undergrad in 2014 and then focused the summer after that on the MCAT. I studied from July - October and my MCAT was Nov 7th of last year. After months of dedicated, focused practice, I was able to increase my score from a 27 to a 32!!!!! All I really needed was practice at MY pace, not anyone else's. I learned that MCAT isn't a game (none of the standaridzed tests are...) and that your own personal timetable is what matters.
Looking at your percentiles, you can see you have your work cut out for you. And do
NOT expect a significant improvement if you retake it next month. You will need strongest help in Verbal/CARS and you need to boost up your Chem/Phys and Bio.
I would still recommend you to go through TBR books and literally do EVERY SINGLE PASSAGE & QUESTION. Honestly, my PS score went from a dumb 9 to a 12 on retake and I believe it's solely because of the exhaustive prep I did with TBR.
With regards to bio, try to simplify concepts and topics as much as you possibly can. You need to keep in mind that so many bio majors take this test and that the AAMC knows this and they purposely create questions that are indrect, requiring two/three-step logic. I did practice from Kaplan books, Princeton Review Science Workbook, and other online resources such as MCAT Question of the Day (btw they have their QBank as well and I would highly recommend you check them out).
Verbal remains to be the most difficult section to improve on. And like you, my scores of 6 (twice) were a big obstacle for me to overcome. What I suggest is for you to start reading articles in Philosophy, Ethics, Culture, Economics, etc. and try to frame some of your own questions that the AAMC typically likes to asks and then go back in the passage and try to use the passage itself to answer the question you created. For example, AAMC loves to ask "if X were hypothetically true, how would the presence of X affect the author's argument in paragraph 2"? And they love strengthen/weaken questions. The more you are able to make questiosn like the AAMC, the more comfortable you will become with their style and methodology. But comprehension ability is a must!! So keep reading and keep doing questions. TPR Verbal workbook and Kaplan's VR Section Tests are very helpful too.
I know it seems like a lot of work but a lot of times many of us are reminded that the road to becoming a doctor is a long one. As they say, it really is a marathon. I watched my friends get interviews, get matched, and then go on to their white coat ceremonies while I was stuck studying for the damn MCAT. But I kept reminding myself that I too am capable of greatness and that if they did it, so can I.
Self motivation is key for taking any exam!!
I wish you all the best with your MCAT and feel free to PM me if you would like to.
Best,