*** Official TUCOM-NV Class of 2009***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Virgie said:
WOOHOO! I can be added to your list now! I got an email today from Roger, its still unbelievable! I'm gonna be a doctor!!

YAY! Congradulations! we have an unofficial class website going so that we can all get to know each other before school starts. I think Roger will be emailing you something about it when you put in your deposit. but the site is:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/Vegas-Med

there are a bunch of mini intros... but you have to search though all of our talk and probably go into the archives... we are a friendly group. nima Alipour (aka Nima or Nima 1) is the owner of the group.

I look forward to learning more about you and meeting you.

jj

Members don't see this ad.

Virgie said:
WOOHOO! I can be added to your list now! I got an email today from Roger, its still unbelievable! I'm gonna be a doctor!!

Congrats Virgie!! I got wait-listed. I hope I get a spot too. :)

Virgie said:
Congratulations Virgie! ... Or, soon to be Dr. Virgie :clap:
Hey Marianne, A LOT of people got taken off the waitlist this past December. I think 1/2 of the people that I've met from our class SO... you're still in good shape! (I think someone mentioned sending in a letter of intent) Hang in there :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
OnMyWayThere said:
Congratulations Virgie! ... Or, soon to be Dr. Virgie :clap:
Hey Marianne, A LOT of people got taken off the waitlist this past December. I think 1/2 of the people that I've met from our class SO... you're still in good shape! (I think someone mentioned sending in a letter of intent) Hang in there :thumbup:

Thanks! I'm going to send a letter of intent so hopefully I'll get a spot soon. I know there is always a lot of movement. I don't want to go back east, so I'm going to try everything for Touro including accepting a spot in 2010 if necessary. :)

You guys are all so sweet! So, how long until the the disbelief passes and you really believe that you're finally in? First exam in school?? Just kidding!
Now when taking about school with my family I have to correct myself and say "Now that I'm in" instead of "When I get in or If I get in"..its the greatest thing. :D

Marianne, I know you'll get in, keep the faith. Remember Brian was saying that he was waitlisted and he kept in contact with Roger and letting him know he really wanted to go there? I know its what you really want, let them see that too! ;)

Hey everyone,

I'm a 3rd year student from Tucom-CA. I stumbled onto this page when I was doing research for rotation for my 4th year. I just wanted to extend my congratulations to y'all future Osteopathic Physicians and welcome to the TUCOM family!. If you guys have any questions don't hesitate to ask. :)

To Virgie,
GO SUNDEVILS-Sparkie!!!! I'm an alum. also.

To Marianne,
Hey you have a really good chance of getting in if you are on the waiting list. I know some people who were waitlested and have gotten in-even at low tier. Just keep on updating them by writing letters on how you are trying to strengthen your application. You have to keep reminding them that you are seriously interested in becoming a TUCOM-DO.

doc2b34 said:
Hey everyone,

I'm a 3rd year student from Tucom-CA. I stumbled onto this page when I was doing research for rotation for my 4th year. I just wanted to extend my congratulations to y'all future Osteopathic Physicians and welcome to the TUCOM family!. If you guys have any questions don't hesitate to ask. :)

To Virgie,

undefinedGO SUNDEVILS-Sparkie!!!! I'm an alum. also.
Hey thanks doc2b34, it makes me feel a lot more comfortable going to TUN especially since I am coming all the way from Saint Louis MO! Hope you find a good spot!

Hey Virgie!, congratulations, welcome to the family!!!

Marianne, I was waitlisted once...keep it up...you'll get in :) :luck:

Marianne11 said:
Thanks! I'm going to send a letter of intent so hopefully I'll get a spot soon. I know there is always a lot of movement. I don't want to go back east, so I'm going to try everything for Touro including accepting a spot in 2010 if necessary. :)

Just out of curiosity, can you tell us a little about your stats? Do you think you got wait listed because of your stats or your interview?

Marianne11 was interviewed because of her stats... they looked good already. She was wait listed because the adcoms need to know that she wants to go to their school more than the other student who has good stats. I was a previous wait lister. This is a game you can't prepare for, only hope for the best, keep the faith, and bug the **** out of them.

-Still keeping the faith :thumbup:

DrB said:
Marianne11 was interviewed because of her stats... they looked good already. She was wait listed because the adcoms need to know that she wants to go to their school more than the other student who has good stats. I was a previous wait lister. This is a game you can't prepare for, only hope for the best, keep the faith, and bug the **** out of them.

-Still keeping the faith :thumbup:

Time out DrB

How do you know the critieria for earning an interview? or the reasons that someone was waitlisted? Do you sit on the admissions committee? (FYI: Secondaries and interviews are granted on many factors, not just MCAT score and GPA)

I congratulate you on earning a spot in the class of 2009, but securing said spot does not give you the authority or insight as to how TUCOM-NV selects members of its various cohorts. As a first year I have been extremely lucky to work fairly intimately with the office of admissions. As close as I might be with those who do make the final decisions, I would never be so brash as to say I know why or why not a person may or may not earn an seat in the class.

I understand that you are only trying to be helpful, but in my humble opinion, "(bugging) the **** out of them" isn't the most constructive course of action.

Brian Enriquez
[email protected]

Marianne11 said:

I think a letter of intent is good. I would also keep Roger updated as to any additional ecs, experiences, grade changes that would help you out. And positive thinking is always good. Just don't go overboard with it. Keep in touch. I am sure you will do fine.

I think my stats are okay. I graduated with a 3.85 GPA, MCAT sucked though. :) I thought the interview went really well, but I was already in med school last year and am on a leave of absence, so they might think I don't need this acceptance as bad as someone else, but it is my first choice school. I'm just going to let them know that a bit more, and hopefully there will be movement on the list. :)

;)

-keep the faith

Members don't see this ad :)
it's been a long time since my last post

i had to catch up 3 whole pages :D

it's really great to see a lot of new "faces"

to those who recently got accepted, congrats!!!

and to those still hoping to get in, good luck :thumbup:

Is there anyone from the class of 2008 on this forum? Is that the first class at TUCOM-NV?

I'm a first year at PCSOM, but I'm from Southern Utah and I'm curious as to how the clinical rotations will be set up for the class of 2008, but the only TUCOM-NV website that I can find is useless.

Is there anybody out there with a little more information?

jawicobike said:
Is there anyone from the class of 2008 on this forum? Is that the first class at TUCOM-NV?

I'm a first year at PCSOM, but I'm from Southern Utah and I'm curious as to how the clinical rotations will be set up for the class of 2008, but the only TUCOM-NV website that I can find is useless.

this may not help much, but here is a thread that was started on the topic:

http://forums.drslounge.com/showthread.php?t=170843

jawicobike said:

check out my other postings...Touro Opportunities in Las Vegas

i'm assuming you are thinking of transfering...
if you have any other questions please contact me...

Nathan Neufeld
President
Student Government Assoication
TUN-COM class of 2008
[email protected]

Ubiquitous7 said:
check out my other postings...Touro Oppertunities in Las Vegas

i'm assuming you are thinking of transfering...
if you have any other questions please contact me...

Nathan Neufeld
President
Student Government Assoication
TUN-COM class of 2008
[email protected]

Hey Nate-y,

Might want to try and spell "opportunities" correctly. Hehe!
;)

T.

Hey All!

My name is Cory and also recently got the acceptance letter. I had a question about a laptop purchase. I was wondering if Touro had any special specifications that needed to go along with the laptop.

Currently I am looking at either a dell 700m, which I really like, but I'm concerned that the screen (12 in.) will be too small for certain things. I'm also looking into the dell 600m which is heavier but has a larger screen (14 in.)

Any suggestions?

coreo334 said:
Hey All!

My name is Cory and also recently got the acceptance letter. I had a question about a laptop purchase. I was wondering if Touro had any special specifications that needed to go along with the laptop.

Currently I am looking at either a dell 700m, which I really like, but I'm concerned that the screen (12 in.) will be too small for certain things. I'm also looking into the dell 600m which is heavier but has a larger screen (14 in.)

Any suggestions?
Congratulations Cory :thumbup: I had the same concerns with those two Dells so I'm just waiting to see if anything else comes out. Weight is a big factor because I have a really bad back, but a big screen is also important. The laptops with the combination of the two are very expensive. As far as specifications, I am pretty sure the new laptops have what we need.

coreo334 said:
Hey All!

Any suggestions?

Congradulations on your acceptance! Good to meet another classmate. I imagine that Roger will be sending out information on laptop specifications as we get closer to starting. I think I am just going to wait for that to come down before i go out and purchase one.

coreo334 said:
Hey All!

Any suggestions?

Welcome and congratulations...

I have a 12 inch and love it...the mobility is great and needed. That’s my recommendation. I’ll never get a pc replacement...we're going to be on the go for the rest of our schooling careers.

We also have wireless access... so I recommend you budget for that as well. We use the "g" wireless system...it really is nice.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask...

Nate Neufeld
President
SGA
TUN-COM 08
[email protected]

T. whos ym leslpign own? :cool: ;)

OnMyWayThere said:
Congratulations Cory :thumbup: I had the same concerns with those two Dells so I'm just waiting to see if anything else comes out. Weight is a big factor because I have a really bad back, but a big screen is also important. The laptops with the combination of the two are very expensive. As far as specifications, I am pretty sure the new laptops have what we need.

guys,
i want an apple laptop...does anyone know if the built in wireless thing that apple has is complatible with the wireless network at the school? :confused:

Ubiquitous7 said:
I have a 12 inch and love it...the mobility is great

No need to brag Nate

:rolleyes:

Thanks Nate! I appreciate the information about rotations. I know that Dr. Forman has already started a PGY-1 internship at UMC this year. From the MISL webpage on "Rotations" (http://forums.misl.info/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=3), I have heard a lot of good things from the Mare Island Students who have done or are currently doing their rotations in Nevada.

I still think we should have a bi-monthly column in either the SUN or Review-Journal Newspaper, that provides health tips, and or information regarding health awareness for the community in Southern Nevada.

Mark Stevens :)

medicine1 said:
Thanks Nate! I appreciate the information about rotations. I know that Dr. Forman has already started a PGY-1 internship at UMC this year. From the MISL webpage on "Rotations" (http://forums.misl.info/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=3), I have heard a lot of good things from the Mare Island Students who have done or are currently doing their rotations in Nevada.

I still think we should have a bi-monthly column in either the SUN or Review-Journal Newspaper, that provides health tips, and or information regarding health awareness for the community in Southern Nevada.

Mark Stevens :)

Kudos...very quick attainment of that info on our working with UMC for rotations...this info was only confirmed with in the last week. UMC is the only level 1 trauma center in the state...a great opportunity for us to have access to.

Med1, let me know if you're interested in starting a column, i think that is a great idea...i will bring it up to our VP of Communications.

Nate Neufeld
President
SGA
TUN-COM class of 2008

DrB - i never brag...i'm a "straight shooter"...nothing but the truth from me :cool:

1hotaartichoke said:
guys,
i want an apple laptop...does anyone know if the built in wireless thing that apple has is complatible with the wireless network at the school? :confused:

Apples also work on our wireless network. we presently have one person who uses a mac laptop.

Nate
Pres.
SGA
TUN-COM Class of 2008

Ubiquitous7 said:
Apples also work on our wireless network. we presently have one person who uses a mac laptop.

Nate
Pres.
SGA
TUN-COM Class of 2008

Awesome...im all over that ****! :D :thumbup:

Ubiquitous7 said:
i think that is a great idea...i will bring it up to our VP of Communications.

Nate Neufeld
President
SGA
TUN-COM class of 2008

DrB - i never brag...i'm a "straight shooter"...nothing but the truth from me :cool:

Hello everyone,

That sounds like a great idea, let's see what we can do. I decided finally to be a little more vocal on the site so if anyone has questions for me feel free to email me. I think I saw on of you is from Tucson and that's where I was born and raised (go cats!). All you ASU guys that's just another story ;) Looks like we'll have a great incoming class next year. Good luck to everyone.

Nik Kubista
TUNCOM Class 2008
TUN-SGA VP Communications

That was me. I am from Tucson, and I like to hear there is another wildcat fan! Going to watch them beat Washington tonight at Mckale Center. I didn't want to get this ASU vs. UA thing started, but since you already have, I'm so glad to be on the winning side.

I'm going crazy here wondering if I will get off the list. For those of you who are in the 2008 class and were waitlisted, how long did it take before you heard anything? Does anyone know how many spots have been accepted for 2009? Once someone reserves a spot & pays, do they actually change their mind and drop? :confused: I sent in a letter of intent. Hope it helps. :scared:

Marianne11 said:
I'm going crazy here wondering if I will get off the list. For those of you who are in the 2008 class and were waitlisted, how long did it take before you heard anything? Does anyone know how many spots have been accepted for 2009? Once someone reserves a spot & pays, do they actually change their mind and drop? :confused: I sent in a letter of intent. Hope it helps. :scared:

As of the email I got on the 25th, there are 74 people who have put down their deposit for the c/o '09.

Some people do drop after putting in their deposit. They are just holding their seat and could be hoping for an offer at a different school. TUCOM-nv only gives your two weeks to think about it. So it is almost safer to put in the deposit, especially if you are waiting on other schools, or uncertain of which you really want to go to, then deciding later that you don't want to go to one or the other.

As for waitlist movement and hearing anything about it. I don't know. I was a reapplicant this year after being waitlisted last year, but i didn't interview until may, so my wait wasn't as long. And i know a few people got pulled off the waitlist right before Christmas, but I don't know how that worked other then hearsay.

Keep your fingers crossed, and positive thoughts and it will all work out like it is suppose to.

stretch210 said:
That was me. I am from Tucson, and I like to hear there is another wildcat fan! Going to watch them beat Washington tonight at Mckale Center. I didn't want to get this ASU vs. UA thing started, but since you already have, I'm so glad to be on the winning side.

Ok Ok fine, here we go with the rivarly :D I don't really care about it but...

Seriously though, just wait until you meet my husband! :D He's the one who picked my avatar! Or my dad (ASU Alumni) :scared: , they're big ASU fans and BIG rivals of UofA!

Hey Stretch, do you know Dr. Dearing?

Can anyone tell me how the grading system works at Touro-NV, is it pass or fail or A, B, C...

Thanks for the info & kind words! I guess about 30-35 spots are left then. I hope they save one for me. :) You said you re-applied? In my letter it says if I don't get a spot this year that I can be in the early decision cycle next year without re-applying, is that what you did or did you do the whole app thing again?

frank51 said:
Can anyone tell me how the grading system works at Touro-NV, is it pass or fail or A, B, C...

Grading at my school is a standard letter grade scale: A, B C, and U.

Brian Enriquez
[email protected]

Virgie said:
Ok Ok fine, here we go with the rivarly :D COLOR]

It's all good fun. There are actualy a couple ASU guys and another UofA guy in my class. We joke a little but we all know who has the better basketball team ;)

stretch210, i'll be back in Tucson at the end of May and into June so if you still have any questions we can meet up. Oh yeah quick question, did you go to high school in Tucson? I'm a product of 90210... I mean Catalina Foothills HS :laugh: It will be good to see the cactus again, I really do miss them.

Nik

Nate and Nik,
I also have a few other ideas.
I think it would be great if TUCOM-Nevada would organize a bi-yearly Health Fair, where Doctors, Nurses, Teachers, and Students can come together to Provide health tips, immunizations, health and wellness education, etc., for our community. All of the Hospitals and Clinics around town could get together in a collaborative effort with Touro University.

Another idea that I have, is to create a monthly newsletter, where students, and fellow faculty write about current health issues, and health topics that are of interest to the medical community and to the public at large.

Mark

I do know Dr. Dearing, I shadowed him for a short time, and probably will be back shadowing him next month. How do you know him? How did you know me? I love the UofA-ASU battles...they are so easy to win!

I grew up in Tucson and went to Sabino for high school. But I live right down the street from Catalina Foothills now (off of Pontatoc).

I found this website, that might help some people find an apartment/house with a roomate: roommates.com

If I can, I want to only pay $500-$600 max for an apartment.
I can imagine the difficulties students will have, if they have spouses that need to relocate and find new jobs.

My wife Mona is a Health Unit Coordinator on a General Surgical Floor at the University of New Mexico Health Sciences Hospital. I hope to come out in March to help her look for a job at St Rose's Hospital.
I my self may have to work at least once a week. So I will also be looking for a job.

I really hope TUCOM-Nevada will build a Health Sciences Center/Hospital were people can come from all over the world to study, learn, teach, and do research. It would be a bonus to receive NIH funding, and have M.S. and Ph.D. programs available. Plus we could have our own teaching hospital... :rolleyes: I suppose I am just a day dreamer..

I know I'm not a student yet, or accepted, but my last school did a few cool things for M1s. Around June we received the email addresses of all the accepted students. We got a lot of mail from students looking for roommates, to meet up & do things before orientation etc. It was really helpful. So if someone was moving to the area, other students would offer to let them stay why they looked for a place. And, if you didn't want the emails they just removed you. The other really cool thing was that they had a freshman facts book. If I'm accepted, fingers crossed, I could volunteer to do this. Basically everyone accepted sends or emails a recent pic, and answers basic questions like hometown, birthday, single/married/etc, pets, hobbies, etc. The first day of orientation everyone gets a copy so you can put names/faces together, plus be able to find people from your undergrad or that have similar interests. My class had over 200 students so it was necessary. It was the most used book at orientation. I can imagine that the Touro NV book would totally rock. My last school was well, hate to say it, b o r i n g....so the book helped but then what you have is what you have. Let's just say the students were nothing like the awesome people I met in the class of Touro NV 2008. :)

i think thats a fun idea marianne! :thumbup:

medicine1 said:
If I can, I want to only pay $500-$600 max for an apartment.
I can imagine the difficulties students will have, if they have spouses that need to relocate and find new jobs.

My wife Mona is a Health Unit Coordinator on a General Surgical Floor at the University of New Mexico Health Sciences Hospital. I hope to come out in March to help her look for a job at St Rose's Hospital.
I my self may have to work at least once a week. So I will also be looking for a job.

I really hope TUCOM-Nevada will build a Health Sciences Center/Hospital were people can come from all over the world to study, learn, teach, and do research. It would be a bonus to receive NIH funding, and have M.S. and Ph.D. programs available. Plus we could have our own teaching hospital... :rolleyes: I suppose I am just a day dreamer..

I am also looking for housing in that range... not a lot of that around. You could find a 3br and split with another student. Do you have any kids?

Good luck finding jobs! I am employed to St Rose's sister campus Dominican in Santa Cruz. Was looking into transfering, but do not want to work while in school. Medicine1 are you doing HPSP? Don't they give you a nice stipend every month?

medicine1 said:

I second your wish for this hospital. I think exposure to the field as an early med student is an important learning experience. It can be an invaluable gift to the community as well as give us hands on experience working with patients.

I also love the idea of public health pages in the sun or reviewjournal. Another idea is to have a presence at community functions with helpful information and first aid. :thumbup:

In regards to your inquiry DrB, I do not have children, and I do have the HPSP scholarship. I have about the same budget as everyone else.
And with my current bills, I am not left with much thereafter.
I will look into St Rose's, and some of the other hospitals nearby for work. ;)

To DrB: I would love to see our school become more and more active and involved within the community. :)

To Marianne: I can image making a mini-biography on everyone would be quite a feat.
I think it should be more on voluntary terms, and with expressed consent.
I don't think everyone would enjoy having someone delve into their personal lives. ;)

medicine1 said:
To DrB: I would love to see our school become more and more active and involved within the community. :)

To Marianne: I can image making a mini-biography on everyone would be quite a feat.
I think it should be more on voluntary terms, and with expressed consent.
I don't think everyone would enjoy having someone delve into their personal lives. ;)

It was 100% optional, and you only answer questions that you want to. About 99% of the class did, but only put what they wanted. So not everyone answred the age question, etc. It is just a name & face book with a little personalization. So when someone new sees you they can think oh yeah, he's from Cali and has a pet turtle etc. It wouldn't be a big deal to create, just mail merge/forms/set fields in Word. :)