***OFFICIAL UCLA 2007 Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i completed mine a few weeks ago and mine still says its incomplete too.

I called the FA office. they said they'll get around to updating those websites within the next couple of weeks. If we're missing anything, they'll email us.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I know that this is completely irrelevant to your current topic but do you know anything about how fast the waitlist/alternate list will be moving? I interviewed last week and I'm really really really hoping to get in. Are any of you chosing UCSF or other school over UCLA? Thanks!

hope this isn't a duplicate post, but just wanted to know if anyone knows anything about the waitlist for UCLA SD. I'm on it right now and I'm hoping to get accepted. Is anyone w/drawing? :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
I chose UCLA over UCSF; important advice someone gave me on facebook: don't look back when you choose one over the other.

From what I understand, there are two lists: a waitlist and an alternate list. The alternate list has priority over the waitlist - i.e., all the people on the a list must get in before UCLA starts admitting off of the W list.

Which list are you on? Did they give you any info on the number of people on your list?

I think it's the other way around
Those who are on the waitlist have priority over those who are on the alternate list.

I chose UCLA over UCSF; important advice someone gave me on facebook: don't look back when you choose one over the other.

Tell me about it I chose UCLA over UOP...key point don't look back....

Tell me about it I chose UCLA over UOP...key point don't look back....

Hey MartinM, so you decided to stay with UCLA? what helped you make your decision.

From what I understand, there are two lists: a waitlist and an alternate list. The alternate list has priority over the waitlist - i.e., all the people on the a list must get in before UCLA starts admitting off of the W list.

Which list are you on? Did they give you any info on the number of people on your list?

I hope cyclonesurfer is right!! I'm on the Alternate list. Anyone else know anything about this alternate/waitlist difference? I didn't know that two lists existed.

I hope cyclonesurfer is right!! I'm on the Alternate list. Anyone else know anything about this alternate/waitlist difference? I didn't know that two lists existed.

Your best bet would be to try calling the school. Gl to you.

Hey guys, so a little school in Boston just threw an offer out to me. I need some serious advice. Anything would help. Thanks in advance...

Hey guys, so a little school in Boston just threw an offer out to me. I need some serious advice. Anything would help. Thanks in advance...

I'm assuming you mean HSDM...I would still go to UCLA if you plan on practicing in CA. Not only that, the weather sucks in Boston and you have to stick your finger up some guy's a$$ as part of the curriculum. If I'm not mistaken, it's also more expensive and you have to write some sort of thesis before you get your degree. And if you aren't planning to specialize then it would be near pointless to go to there.

If I got the call from them tomorrow... I doubt at this point I would change my mind. That's just my 2 cents. UCLA is top notch

Members don't see this ad :)

Don't do it, buddy. Who's gonna ride around Westwood with me on a bicycle built for two?

If I got the call from them tomorrow... I doubt at this point I would change my mind. That's just my 2 cents. UCLA is top notch

That is exactly how I thought I would react. I was totally sold on UCLA being the best school for me. Then I got the phone call and I am having a serious issue with blowing off the offer.

That is exactly how I thought I would react. I was totally sold on UCLA being the best school for me. Then I got the phone call and I am having a serious issue with blowing off the offer.

Since going to either school will make you a dentist and both schools are top notch, i would pick UCLA on account of it being so much cheaper and because its in CA. That and you already made some cool friends at UCLA :cool: . In anycase, gl on your decision.

Oh, I'm sorry, you asked for SERIOUS advice. Well, here's my opinion:

From everything I have read on this site and heard from other dentists, HSDM and UCLA are just about dead even in terms of academic reputation and preparation for postgrad study. Here are the real distinguishing factors: 1) cost. You are from AZ, but you can get residency in one year. Over the subsequent three years, you will save about $10,000/year. 2) May seem trivial, but weather. I went to college back east and believe me, it sucks. Literally, six months out of the year it is pretty unbarably cold. As an AZ resident--and particularly if you enjoy outdoorsy activities--it will not be an easy transition. You will be studying so much either place it is nice to be surrounded, at least, by a nice area.

I think it ultimately comes down to where you'd rather live. I know the Harvard name is tempting, but consider this: If you go to Harvard, there WILL be days when you wish you'd come to UCLA, guaranteed. However, if you go to UCLA, you won't regret it.

Well, comparing the two... at UCLA you can do research if you want, but Harvard requires a thesis to graduate with years of research. You get into pre-clinicals right away at UCLA, and at Harvard you wait till the end of second year to start your pre-clinic and waxups. Los Angeles and Boston are both awesome cities to live in, but being from AZ, I think you might prefer the weather out here a little better. Harvard is great for you if you know you want to specialize, since 34 out of 35 of their students last year specialized (or at least that sheet they gave us said that). UCLA you can specialize also but if you dont want to, you get a lot of time in the pre-clinicals to get you ready for clinical experience.

Congrats on getting in though. Its a huge thing and I'm sure its not an easy choice. I really think UCLA's program is great, I hear nothing but good things from the students. Its more what fits you best for the next 4 years.

Don't do it, buddy. Who's gonna ride around Westwood with me on a bicycle built for two?

So convincing, we might have a deal if I can sit in the drivers seat every now and then, hahaha. Thanks for all of the replies. What a great distraction from finals.

So convincing, we might have a deal if I can sit in the drivers seat every now and then, hahaha. Thanks for all of the replies. What a great distraction from finals.

You might also want to ask this question in the HSDM thread. We are obviously biased because we are all going to UCLA. Wouldn't hurt to get their opinions on things. Also, like Pilot Mike, if I got the call tomorrow I would say thanks but no thanks.

Hey MartinM, so you decided to stay with UCLA? what helped you make your decision.

We'll I looked at it in a number of ways, the first being that I want to practice down here in LA, and the connections that I would make with faculty and dentists in the area can't be matched to what I would get if I lived in SF for three years and then magically arrived in LA to practice. Second my family and friends, they are all here...me being born and raised in LA. Lastly UCLA is a world renowned school, the name says it all. In last few weeks of working at my dad's store people ask me what I'm doing, and to vary it up I would tell some UOP dental school and others UCLA. The feeling you get from people when you tell them UCLA, is amazing, they are in almost in awe. When I say UOP, they ask where is that. I know within the dental community they are both great schools, but almost all your patients will be outside the dental community and only know the name UCLA. Overall I am very glad with my decision, ever since I finally decided I have not looked back, and am constantly being reminded of the good decision I made (mostly from my parents...lol, but from everyone else I talk to (doctors, dentists, professors))

Oh and the money thing kinda....(lol, seriously) made a difference too.... But I must confess my best friend from high school would have started UOP in the same class with me if I went there, so that really made it a harder decision....

Sorry I am changing the subject here, but I have some question about loans. I got an email from Frank saying my Financial Aid packet was all complete, and that it was time for me to look for a lender. Does anybody have a lender yet? If you do, what factors did you take into consideration and how much is the avarage amount you need to borrow?

We'll I looked at it in a number of ways, the first being that I want to practice down here in LA, and the connections that I would make with faculty and dentists in the area can't be matched to what I would get if I lived in SF for three years and then magically arrived in LA to practice. Second my family and friends, they are all here...me being born and raised in LA. Lastly UCLA is a world renowned school, the name says it all. In last few weeks of working at my dad's store people ask me what I'm doing, and to vary it up I would tell some UOP dental school and others UCLA. The feeling you get from people when you tell them UCLA, is amazing, they are in almost in awe. When I say UOP, they ask where is that. I know within the dental community they are both great schools, but almost all your patients will be outside the dental community and only know the name UCLA. Overall I am very glad with my decision, ever since I finally decided I have not looked back, and am constantly being reminded of the good decision I made (mostly from my parents...lol, but from everyone else I talk to (doctors, dentists, professors))

Oh and the money thing kinda....(lol, seriously) made a difference too.... But I must confess my best friend from high school would have started UOP in the same class with me if I went there, so that really made it a harder decision....

Well, needless to say, I think you made an awesome decision :D.

Networking at UCLA isn't as great as you all think it is. =P

You'll mostly likely be taking out the full loan amounts. So the ~$38,500 (or more now) for the sub and un-sub Stafford loans plus any HPSL or Perkins loans you get. It'll be $45,000+ unless you or your parents can afford to pay for it.

How much is the first year of school, JUST tuition and FEES??

so it's official now, pacbum is coming to ucla! i'll wait for envision to make it officially official.

update:
UCLA Class of 2011
----------------------------
1) envision
2) confusedone
3) lifeisgood
4) emioboy
5) NVgirl
6) Pilot Mike
7) DDSWannaBe2007
8) socalpredent
9) dentridude
10) Sly Wolf
11) jendent
12) sgdorfl90
13) kaydewd
14) Snahster
15) aranjuez
16) sedent
17) digdig
18) nate28
19) icepinkish
20) ryan85
21) mdj337
22) foreverl05
23) =)
24) maggiebear
25) TheBestDoctor
26) dentstd
27) blackqueen
28) rasheedwallace
29) 4815162342LoSt
30) Azbioc
31) Grad
32) zusta
33) Rook
34) mattykay84
35) billybob
36) Pardis
37) sky
38) H2OPOLODENT
39) MartinM
40) indentition
41) pacbum

update:
UCLA Class of 2011
1) envision
2) confusedone
3) lifeisgood
4) emioboy
5) NVgirl
6) Pilot Mike
7) DDSWannaBe2007
8) socalpredent
9) dentridude
10) Sly Wolf
11) jendent
12) sgdorfl90
13) kaydewd
14) Snahster
15) aranjuez
16) sedent
17) digdig
18) nate28
19) icepinkish
20) ryan85
21) mdj337
22) foreverl05
23) =)
24) maggiebear
25) TheBestDoctor
26) dentstd
27) blackqueen
28) rasheedwallace
29) 4815162342LoSt
30) Azbioc
31) Grad
32) zusta
33) Rook
34) mattykay84
35) Pardis
36) sky
37) H2OPOLODENT
38) MartinM
39) indentition
40) pacbum

Had to change it, sorry. billybob is me from predents so this should be correct now

How much is the first year of school, JUST tuition and FEES??

i was doing these calculations all day while i was figuring out where to go.

it's 42,656.50 for year 1 for tuition and fees. ucla estimates that it's about 25k for rent and living, but i doubt any of us will need that much. seems kinda excessive. the main reason why it seems expensive is because of the instrument kit, so factor that out for the years after, and tuition and fees end up being around 30k a year.

You still have a kit 2nd year. It's less, but it's still $6,000-7,000. Housing wise? You'll be spending close to $1,000 a month for housing if you factor in gas for driving, etc...

pacbum: I see you chose UCLA. ;)

Can any one tell me what the real financial aid school code is for UCLAsod? On the ucla website it says it's 001315, but I called FAFSA and they said it's e00375 for the dental school. I submitted my fafsa like March 1st but i did not put UCLA as one of the schools (was accepted recently). Thanks.

Can any one tell me what the real financial aid school code is for UCLAsod? On the ucla website it says it's 001315, but I called FAFSA and they said it's e00375 for the dental school. I submitted my fafsa like March 1st but i did not put UCLA as one of the schools (was accepted recently). Thanks.

congrats on getting in! i used the 001315 code, and everything worked just fine. :thumbup:

Major Congrats friend ;). So are you planning to attend UCLA?

Oh yeah, UCLA is an awesome school, didn't even think twice about it.
I'm looking forward to meeting all of you this fall :)

Oh yeah, UCLA is an awesome school, didn't even think twice about it.
I'm looking forward to meeting all of you this fall :)

update:
UCLA Class of 2011
1) envision
2) confusedone
3) lifeisgood
4) emioboy
5) NVgirl
6) Pilot Mike
7) DDSWannaBe2007
8) socalpredent
9) dentridude
10) Sly Wolf
11) jendent
12) sgdorfl90
13) kaydewd
14) Snahster
15) aranjuez
16) sedent
17) digdig
18) nate28
19) icepinkish
20) ryan85
21) mdj337
22) foreverl05
23) =)
24) maggiebear
25) TheBestDoctor
26) dentstd
27) blackqueen
28) rasheedwallace
29) 4815162342LoSt
30) Azbioc
31) Grad
32) zusta
33) Rook
34) mattykay84
35) Pardis
36) sky
37) H2OPOLODENT
38) MartinM
39) indentition
40) pacbum
41) Freekout

Also, check out our facebook to see the many good looking dental students in our class :D.

pacbum: I see you chose UCLA. ;)

yup...thanks for all the advice, i appreciate it.

so, kinda silly, but did any of you purchase a spirit pass for football and basketball games?

What is everyone doing before dental school starts? Is anyone working, vacationing? My wife and I will be spending some time in :luck: Dublin Ireland this summer. By the way when does school start?

What is everyone doing before dental school starts? Is anyone working, vacationing? My wife and I will be spending some time in :luck: Dublin Ireland this summer. By the way when does school start?

Orientation is from Sept 14-20, White Coat ceremony is on the 18th, and quarter starts on the 24th

That sounds like fun!

I'll be finishing up my research at my undergrad institution, then take a quick vacation to the Philippines or Europe, then afterwards <maybe> explore research opportunities at UCLA :D . Anyone else seeking to do research? w00t? lol

That sounds like fun!

I'll be finishing up my research at my undergrad institution, then take a quick vacation to the Philippines or Europe, then afterwards <maybe> explore research opportunities at UCLA :D . Anyone else seeking to do research? w00t? lol

What are we doing during the week of orientation? a week seems like an awfully long time.

anyone know what time the white coat ceremony is???

That sounds like fun!

Maybe I'll consider research during econd year.

Maybe I'll consider research during econd year.

I heard research is difficult to do because UCLA's curriculum is so tough the first 2 years. I heard it was common to look for research opportunities starting 3rd year.

I heard research is difficult to do because UCLA's curriculum is so tough the first 2 years. I heard it was common to look for research opportunities starting 3rd year.

Yep. It's almost impossible to do research during second year. You have to be really on top of your stuff. With that being said, it's still possible, but pretty hectic.

Yep. It's almost impossible to do research during second year. You have to be really on top of your stuff. With that being said, it's still possible, but pretty hectic.

What year are you ziptree, are you doing research? if so, can you tell us a little about it. I know UCLA is known for having a lot of research opportunities, so does this mean it is easy to find a PI? Also, when did you start research? thanks.

I got Weyburn housing...two bedroom/two person townhouse....wonder who my roommate is???

My move in date says September 15, 2007 anyone else have this date?

my contract is from 9/15 to 6/30. maybe we're roommates?

wow, you guys got your housing contracts already? did the housing office contact you?