***OFFICIAL UCLA 2007 Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Awesome night guys! Seems like all the cool kids are going to UCLA ;) Hope everyone else had a good time to.

PS: After picking up my gf and hitting massive traffic on the 101...i got home at 4 and finally woke up now. haha.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

So other than filling out fafsa...I have only received a UCLA postcard regarding financial aid. At this point, where should we be in terms of financial aid? are we gonna receive anything else from UCLA? thanx guys.

Keep waiting. It takes forever. You'll get it eventually. Think June or July.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received a guaranteed housing e-mail. Anyone else get the same?

Ya, I did too!! Where are you planning on living Life, Palms/Mar Vista? Anybody else?

I just received a guaranteed housing e-mail. Anyone else get the same?

I didn't get anything in the mail or email. I hope mine is coming soon... So is it done by lottery or other factors play into the housing?

Yeah I got one earlier too. Weyburn was my top choice so I'm going with that. It's the closest to school and it's right next to Westwood Village...you can't beat it.

Yeah I got one earlier too. Weyburn was my top choice so I'm going with that. It's the closest to school and it's right next to Westwood Village...you can't beat it.

You got into weyburn student housing? I just called today and they said they haven't made any offers. I hope i get one too because I'm not entirely sure where I am gonna live if i do not get into student housing. Congrats on having one less thing to worry about ;).

You got into weyburn student housing? I just called today and they said they haven't made any offers. I hope i get one too because I'm not entirely sure where I am gonna live if i do not get into student housing. Congrats on having one less thing to worry about ;).

i just got guaranteed weyburn housing too, so it looks like they're lying to you. but i hear the majority of people who apply for weyburn get a spot, so don't sweat it :thumbup:

i didnt get crap either, and they told me the same thing they told you....this kinda blows...and i just asked them today, i wonder why they are lying to us.

Yeah, don't worry about it...Noemi told me everyone who wanted to live in Weyburn last year, got in. I'm sure you guys will get a spot.

Is there any change on the housing web-site saying that you have received a housing offer? On this web-site (the link is not working for some reason, but go to MyHousing ->Graduates-Make Initial Weyburn Terrace Payment), there is an option on the right that says "View, Print or Pay for You Housing Offer." When those of you who got an e-mail click that, what does it say?

Being from out-of-state, I really hope I get a spot at Weyburn b/c it would be a real pain for me to fly to California to find an apartment. I wasn't accepted until recently (March) and applied for housing as soon as I could, which is about a week ago. I hope this doesn't hurt my chances of housing.

i didnt get crap either, and they told me the same thing they told you....this kinda blows...and i just asked them today, i wonder why they are lying to us.

was it Noemi who answered the phone? I happened to e-mail her the day before and she told me I would hear about guaranteed housing in about 2 weeks. However yesterday I got another e-mail from her telling me I've got it. Maybe it's some sort of delay of communication within their office. I think everyone who's intersted would get Weyburn with no problem, either through guaranteed housing or lottery. It's expensive so most phD students who have more flexible schedule and lighter course loads wouldn't even consider living there.

Members don't see this ad :)
was it Noemi who answered the phone? I happened to e-mail her the day before and she told me I would hear about guaranteed housing in about 2 weeks. However yesterday I got another e-mail from her telling me I've got it. Maybe it's some sort of delay of communication within their office. I think everyone who's intersted would get Weyburn with no problem, either through guaranteed housing or lottery. It's expensive so most phD students who have more flexible schedule and lighter course loads wouldn't even consider living there.

I called UCLA housing and spoke to one of the receptionist there. i hope your right, I'm leaving the country in the summer and it would suck to not have a place to stay when i get back :rolleyes:. Anyway, good to know you all got in :thumbup:.

i spoke with the housing office in reiber, i m not sure if you are a local product. I am thinking the priority goes to people coming from far away, but then EmanuT didnt get it either. The reason weyburn is really appealing is you get ur own bedroom with utilities paid for 700-800 bucks, which is like almost half what the rates are around that area.....thanks for your concern though, i'll keep ya guys updated on my situation.

Ya, I did too!! Where are you planning on living Life, Palms/Mar Vista? Anybody else?

I will probably be living in Palms/Mar Vista because if that thing called wife agrees. She wants to see them first. The only thing is we would have to have our dogs stay with my wife's parents for the first year which we both don't really want to do. So we will see. Does anybody know anything about Weyburn (i.e. cost, size, etc.)? I am asking b/c Mar Vista has 1, 2, & 3 bedrooms available for really cheap.

I will probably be living in Palms/Mar Vista because if that thing called wife agrees. She wants to see them first. The only thing is we would have to have our dogs stay with my wife's parents for the first year which we both don't really want to do. So we will see. Does anybody know anything about Weyburn (i.e. cost, size, etc.)? I am asking b/c Mar Vista has 1, 2, & 3 bedrooms available for really cheap.

dude, i envy u, you get hooked up with the scholarship the first, you get priority on housing....are you sure you dont have some kind of affair with noemi??? I guess, you are my next best friend when it comes to administrative matters..haha. In any case, I am glad to have a really cool guy in my class.

dude, i envy u, you get hooked up with the scholarship the first, you get priority on housing....are you sure you dont have some kind of affair with noemi??? I guess, you are my next best friend when it comes to administrative matters..haha. In any case, I am glad to have a really cool guy in my class.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Dude, why don't you just blow my cover to all of SDN. What if my wife finds out? :laugh: I guess it's just dumb luck really, and I do feel lucky. The funny thing is I never even applied for housing...still haven't, but I'm not going to argue with them. You just let me know when you need that MP changed to an EPR. :laugh:

Check your emails for student housing! I just got the Weyburn housing email! Sweeeeeettt!

i spoke with the housing office in reiber, i m not sure if you are a local product. I am thinking the priority goes to people coming from far away, but then EmanuT didnt get it either. The reason weyburn is really appealing is you get ur own bedroom with utilities paid for 700-800 bucks, which is like almost half what the rates are around that area.....thanks for your concern though, i'll keep ya guys updated on my situation.

The rent @ Weyburn is actually close to 1K if you want a parking spot. (dat_student pays $920 for her room and parking is $75). I think it's still cheaper than other places in the same area, but if you look for housing further away it would be cheaper. I know a phD student who lives @ Rose pays ~$600 for his room (sweet huh?). Weyburn is still appealing nonetheless, since it's close to school, and other school housings are nearly impossible for us to get at this point. I am signing up for weyburn. Perhaps i'll be neighbors with some of you. Good luck with urs sgdorfl90:) .

btw, does anyone know how long the housing contract is? is it yearly, or month-by-month?

The rent @ Weyburn is actually close to 1K if you want a parking spot. (dat_student pays $920 for her room and parking is $75). I think it's still cheaper than other places in the same area, but if you look for housing further away it would be cheaper. I know a phD student who lives @ Rose pays ~$600 for his room (sweet huh?). Weyburn is still appealing nonetheless, since it's close to school, and other school housings are nearly impossible for us to get at this point. I am signing up for weyburn. Perhaps i'll be neighbors with some of you. Good luck with urs sgdorfl90:) .

btw, does anyone know how long the housing contract is? is it yearly, or month-by-month?

hey, didnt know about this...umm, i believe the housing contract is for one academic year, but for us, summer is academic year too, so i guess they will charge separately for that. If you stay there in summer, which we all have to, we are guranteed 2nd year. But ya, I am still expecting the infamous e-mail....never thought this would be difficult. I am basically calling noemi, and housing office, and getting no help. Good luck to all.

Check your emails for student housing! I just got the Weyburn housing email! Sweeeeeettt!

I called housing and they said those who received guaranteed housing specifically allocated by the school are the only ones who received offerings. As for the rest of us, i suppose we have to wait for lottery spots. The receptionist told me to have back up plans but did not have any suggestions on my chances one way or another.

I'm not sure what the contract terms are like, but you're guaranteed the housing of your choice for two years. I also checked out Rose and all the others and they're about 5 miles away. This may not sound far but it seemed like an eternity to get to from UCLA...not to mention all the traffic. It might justify the extra couple of hundreds of dollars.

Could anyone suggest some good neighborhood around the UCLA vicinity so that I could start looking for housing. I doubt that I'm going to get the guaranteed housing at all now.

Could anyone suggest some good neighborhood around the UCLA vicinity so that I could start looking for housing. I doubt that I'm going to get the guaranteed housing at all now.

I've been checking out www.westsiderentals.com for some housing spots and found a lot of places available on there. Give it a shot, you might luck out on a nice pad

Brentwood is cheaper. A little old, but cheap.

hey, didnt know about this...umm, i believe the housing contract is for one academic year, but for us, summer is academic year too, so i guess they will charge separately for that. If you stay there in summer, which we all have to, we are guranteed 2nd year. But ya, I am still expecting the infamous e-mail....never thought this would be difficult. I am basically calling noemi, and housing office, and getting no help. Good luck to all.

I called Noemi and she said that the post card we got was our financial aid package. Just go to his website and start filling out stuff. Gl all ;).

http://www.dent.ucla.edu/Admissions/index.asp?id=348

I'll add myself to the list, too.

update:
UCLA Class of 2011
----------------------------
1) envision
2) confusedone
3) lifeisgood
4) emioboy
5) NVgirl
6) Pilot Mike
7) DDSWannaBe2007
8) socalpredent
9) dentridude
10) Sly Wolf
11) jendent
12) sgdorfl90
13) kaydewd
14) Snahster
15) aranjuez
16) sedent
17) digdig
18) nate28
19) icepinkish
20) ryan85
21) mdj337
22) foreverl05
23) =)
24) maggiebear
25) TheBestDoctor
26) dentstd
27) blackqueen
28) rasheedwallace
29) 4815162342LoSt
30) Azbioc
31) Grad
32) zusta
icon9.gif

33) Rook
34) mattykay84
35) billybob
36) Pardis
37) sky
38) H2OPOLODENT

38/88 = 43%

Hey guys add me to #39 I finally made up my mind.:)

Oh and by the way I didn't get an email about housing yet either...:(

Hey guys add me to #39 I finally made up my mind.:)

Oh and by the way I didn't get an email about housing yet either...:(

Good choice dude! Welcome to the family!

update:
UCLA Class of 2011
----------------------------
1) envision
2) confusedone
3) lifeisgood
4) emioboy
5) NVgirl
6) Pilot Mike
7) DDSWannaBe2007
8) socalpredent
9) dentridude
10) Sly Wolf
11) jendent
12) sgdorfl90
13) kaydewd
14) Snahster
15) aranjuez
16) sedent
17) digdig
18) nate28
19) icepinkish
20) ryan85
21) mdj337
22) foreverl05
23) =)
24) maggiebear
25) TheBestDoctor
26) dentstd
27) blackqueen
28) rasheedwallace
29) 4815162342LoSt
30) Azbioc
31) Grad
32) zusta
33) Rook
34) mattykay84
35) billybob
36) Pardis
37) sky
38) H2OPOLODENT
39) MartinM

Now its "official" ;)

i second this post. :rolleyes:

i accidentally started filling out the divorced parents folder, and then tried to delete, and it wouldnt let me....does anyone know what i can do?? needaccess is a bitch and a half

For all the newcomers, I am no longer a student at UCLA Dental...I withdrew from the program after my first year. But I have my UCLA School of Dentistry license plate frame that I want to sell and I'm sure some of you can't wait to get your hands on one! They sell it for $38 at the student store, and I'm willing to sell mine for $28.

I also have some 1st year textbooks left. The Dental Anatomy book will be the same for your class since the teacher (who is the assistant dean) nor the book have changed in years! For those who want to get a head start and glance over the book during your free time...I still have a few of my books left.

Send me a PM.

For all the newcomers, I am no longer a student at UCLA Dental...I withdrew from the program after my first year. But I have my UCLA School of Dentistry license plate frame that I want to sell and I'm sure some of you can't wait to get your hands on one! They sell it for $38 at the student store, and I'm willing to sell mine for $28.

I also have some 1st year textbooks left. The Dental Anatomy book will be the same for your class since the teacher (who is the assistant dean) nor the book have changed in years! For those who want to get a head start and glance over the book during your free time...I still have a few of my books left.

Send me a PM.

Do we dare ask why you would do that?!

Dentistry just isn't for some people.

And yes, Need Access has to be filled out every year.

Dentistry just isn't for some people...

True but one good thing about UCLA is: classmates and upperclassmen help each other a lot. Yesterday, an upperclassman helped a lot in the lab (outside the regular hours). It was so unbelievableeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Awesome classmates. Awesome upperclassmen

One more thing: We have awesome clinical professors. FYI: RGS1, RGS2, RGS3, etc = Richard G. Stevenson 1, Richard G. Stevenson2, Richard G. Stevenson3...;-) Dr. Richard G. Stevenson invented those dental instruments. I believe he graduated from UCLA SOD.

i accidentally started filling out the divorced parents folder, and then tried to delete, and it wouldnt let me....does anyone know what i can do?? needaccess is a bitch and a half

Dude, yes, I did the exact same thing and yes now I can't delete it. If you figured out how tell me.

I've done a lot of these online applications over the years but this is by far the biggest pain in the arse yet.

Dude, yes, I did the exact same thing and yes now I can't delete it. If you figured out how tell me.

I've done a lot of these online applications over the years but this is by far the biggest pain in the arse yet.

i called needaccess....after an hour on hold, she said just write "oops, I accidentally filled out this, my parents are not divorced." This should go in the box of extenuating circumstances. If you have any questions, let me know.

hey, didnt know about this...umm, i believe the housing contract is for one academic year, but for us, summer is academic year too, so i guess they will charge separately for that. If you stay there in summer, which we all have to, we are guranteed 2nd year.

Hey SG, how do you know this? is this unofficial because when i inquired this from the housing department, they had no idea what i was talking about. thanx.

True but one good thing about UCLA is: classmates and upperclassmen help each other a lot. Yesterday, an upperclassman helped a lot in the lab (outside the regular hours). It was so unbelievableeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Awesome classmates. Awesome upperclassmen

Heh. That upperclassman helped you with Operative, correct? And most other people with Operative? Some others with Fixed? ;)

And yes, Dr. Stevenson graduated from UCLA SoD. Dr. Wong taught him Operative Dentistry, and Dr. Morgon taught him Fixed. ;)

Heh. That upperclassman helped you with Operative, correct? And most other people with Operative? Some others with Fixed? ;)

And yes, Dr. Stevenson graduated from UCLA SoD. Dr. Wong taught him Operative Dentistry, and Dr. Morgon taught him Fixed. ;)

I haven't received any help with fixed yet lol (besides watching Jon's demo). I think in a few yrs we'll start seeing Jon's instruments (JDI, JD2, JD3 etc).

For now I think I can procrastinate. I'll start cramming in two weeks lol

Ziptree, do you ever sleep? ;)

Nah. I was in the lab yesterday until 11:00pm helping out some 1st years. Then I had Venice Clinic today. Fun fun. :)

Nah. I was in the lab yesterday until 11:00pm helping out some 1st years. Then I had Venice Clinic today. Fun fun. :)

Hey Ziptree,

What year are you? If your still gonna be around next year, maybe you can help out some new 1st years :D.

has anyone made any other deposits other than the $200 from the initial payment?

How many students haven't finished the FA applications yet?

has anyone made any other deposits other than the $200 from the initial payment?

How many students haven't finished the FA applications yet?

I haven't done the needaccess portion.