Official Umdnj-som Class Of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Defended my Masters thesis last Friday and it was accepted!!!!!!! Just made the corrections and will submit to the registrar. Got my A and will graduate. Finally!!

congrats.

i dunno...does ur tongue smell? :D

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know what the typical ratio of subsidized versus unsubsidized loans that the fin. aid office offers?

hahahaha.... just got my award letter:laugh: . Keeping a light heart about this -- some day, this will all be worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else waiting until the very last minute to submit the fafsa or am I going to be the last one??? :)

Sorry, I did mine the day my taxes were done, Feb. 3rd....
I was hoping one or the other school would make my decision easy for me in the financial aid dept., but that doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if and when we are getting a supplies list?

if u mean by supplies...the little medical toys...u don't need 2 buy anything 1st yr except maybe a stethoscope if ur preceptor wants u 2 use one when u're there. so unless they change things from last yr, u won't get a list. i just confirmed that a medical supplies sale is a fundraiser that'll be done by my class' (of 2010) class council. last year the 2nd years did the discount med supplies sale, seems this yr it'll b the same. but really...1st yrs really don' t have 2 buy anything yet unless u like 2 so don't feel pressured 2 get expensive stuff u won't need this yr unless u really want 2

also, don't buy the million books on that book list they sent u. wait til u meet ur bigs (sisters/bros) and ask them what books were useful. who knows? they might give u some. my big gave me the histo atlas so i didn't need 2 buy it (though i rarely used it) if u're a book person like me, i'd still wait til after school starts. enjoy the summer, u don't need 2 start studying earlier than u really need 2. make some $, go on vacation, just enjoy ur final months of freedom ;)

if u mean by supplies...the little medical toys...u don't need 2 buy anything 1st yr except maybe a stethoscope if ur preceptor wants u 2 use one when u're there. so unless they change things from last yr, u won't get a list. i just confirmed that a medical supplies sale is a fundraiser that'll be done by my class' (of 2010) class council. last year the 2nd years did the discount med supplies sale, seems this yr it'll b the same. but really...1st yrs really don' t have 2 buy anything yet unless u like 2 so don't feel pressured 2 get expensive stuff u won't need this yr unless u really want 2

also, don't buy the million books on that book list they sent u. wait til u meet ur bigs (sisters/bros) and ask them what books were useful. who knows? they might give u some. my big gave me the histo atlas so i didn't need 2 buy it (though i rarely used it) if u're a book person like me, i'd still wait til after school starts. enjoy the summer, u don't need 2 start studying earlier than u really need 2. make some $, go on vacation, just enjoy ur final months of freedom ;)

I have to disagree slightly. First year is probably the better time to buy supplies like a stethescope, or your own kit. The reason I say this is because in your second year you have a board prep that is given by the school and there is a charge for it, (Somewhere around $600-700) and it is not optional. So it takes a slight bit of money away from you, not to mention the fact that you have to pay for your boards (somewhere over $400) and lets not even talk about whether or not you are taking both the COMLEX and USMLE. Second year has more spending involved, so it may be better to get those kits out of the way in first year. But, then again you could just go in and try to get more aid if you are truly in trouble.

I agree totally with the books part though. Almost no one buys books, theres no time to read them. LOL! THey test almost straight from the notes anyway. :D

I have to disagree slightly. First year is probably the better time to buy supplies like a stethescope, or your own kit. The reason I say this is because in your second year you have a board prep that is given by the school and there is a charge for it, (Somewhere around $600-700) and it is not optional. So it takes a slight bit of money away from you, not to mention the fact that you have to pay for your boards (somewhere over $400) and lets not even talk about whether or not you are taking both the COMLEX and USMLE. Second year has more spending involved, so it may be better to get those kits out of the way in first year. But, then again you could just go in and try to get more aid if you are truly in trouble.

I agree totally with the books part though. Almost no one buys books, theres no time to read them. LOL! THey test almost straight from the notes anyway. :D

i kinda agree that the costs i hear r more during 2nd yr. i was only saying equipment isn't required during 1st yr. and i know some ppl who didn't buy all the stuff 2nd yr but borrowed from friends during exams so its all a personal choice. but the class of 2010 will def b holding a medical supplies sale where u can get discounts at the beginning of the year. i didn't know u had 2 pay 4 boards boot camp either. i thought i heard it was in the tuition but an upperclassman would def know more than i on the topic. though i hear next yr it might be kaplan instead of boards boot camp. but just a rumor 4 now. confirmed - it'll def be boards boot camp.

Where are you guys staying? I just want a cheap and safe place.

I was searching on apartmentratings and woodmere and brookview seems okay? any other? I need to keep it under 800 pref low 600 or better.

and whats the deal with the gas/electric thing?

I'm looking for a studio or 1bd

:)

Where are you guys staying? I just want a cheap and safe place.

I was searching on apartmentratings and woodmere and brookview seems okay? any other? I need to keep it under 800 pref low 600 or better.

and whats the deal with the gas/electric thing?

I'm looking for a studio or 1bd

:)

Not sure about Brookview, but woodmere is called "hoodmere" by people here. One of my buddies in the grad school got an entire TIRE stolen there, and her car wasn't a luxury vehicle or anything (lexus, bmw, mercedes) but if you are looking for below 600 and safe, you are better off getting a roommate (which appears not to be the preference for people coming in for this class from what I have noticed) and living somewhere nice like either the Landings or Timber ridge. :thumbup:

Hey guys.

If you still haven't gotten an award letter yet, check your my.umdnj.edu page

I just went in... I guess there was some stuff I managed to miss even though I thought I had everything done and the Fin Aid office told me I was good.

The page says they were waiting for me to complete an online financial aid entrance exam (found here ) and they were waiting for me to send my parents tax info. I specifically didn't do this b/c I was born in 81 and the UMDNJ fin aid forms said you only need to do it if you were born in 83 and after.

Anyway, I completed the entrance exam *(takes like 5-10 min) and I sent an e-mail about the tax info, but you might want to see if you have any outstanding stuff (or at least see if they think you do)

Hello,

I am not entering the med school this year but I will be doing the biomed program at stratford and I was wondering if anyone was looking for a roommate. I am from cali so I will be heading out to nj in Aug to find a place and move in and from what I have been seeing here on the forums if I want my own place that is decent and safe I'm looking at spending ~$700/mo and that is too much for me right now (I have a mortgage to pay in cali as well). I am very clean and am a quiet person...I also have a cat that is very shy (but sweet, she just doesn't like strangers so you probably would never even see her b/c she would be hiding the whole time). Please pm me if anyone has any 'openings'. Thanks.

-PlAnEjaNe

Hello,

I am not entering the med school this year but I will be doing the biomed program at stratford and I was wondering if anyone was looking for a roommate. I am from cali so I will be heading out to nj in Aug to find a place and move in and from what I have been seeing here on the forums if I want my own place that is decent and safe I'm looking at spending ~$700/mo and that is too much for me right now (I have a mortgage to pay in cali as well). I am very clean and am a quiet person...I also have a cat that is very shy (but sweet, she just doesn't like strangers so you probably would never even see her b/c she would be hiding the whole time). Please pm me if anyone has any 'openings'. Thanks.

-PlAnEjaNe

PM me ur email address and i'll send u copies of the sublet/roommate list that SOMA is preparing 4 incoming 1st yrs. it automatically goes out 2 them periodically (whenever the list gets updated w/ more ppl looking 4 roommates or 2 sublet or when they've found someone) but not 2 GSBS students. though i can ask the admissions office if we can send it 2 GSBS'ers but that is handled through a difference admissions office (grad school) i think. so 4 now, just PM me the email address. we also have an apt guide we put 2gether and it also includes contact info of students willing 2 answer ur Qs and show u their digs (not the pristine model unit the rental office will show u).

PM me ur email address and i'll send u copies of the sublet/roommate list that SOMA is preparing 4 incoming 1st yrs. it automatically goes out 2 them periodically (whenever the list gets updated w/ more ppl looking 4 roommates or 2 sublet or when they've found someone) but not 2 GSBS students. though i can ask the admissions office if we can send it 2 GSBS'ers but that is handled through a difference admissions office (grad school) i think. so 4 now, just PM me the email address. we also have an apt guide we put 2gether and it also includes contact info of students willing 2 answer ur Qs and show u their digs (not the pristine model unit the rental office will show u).

Thanks! I'll pm u my emails address.

-PlAnEjaNe

hi guys

as students at UMDNJ SON, i was curious as to where you guys are living.. how many are living in apts or condos nearby? what kind of rents are you paying?

thanks
cri

hi guys

as students at UMDNJ SON, i was curious as to where you guys are living.. how many are living in apts or condos nearby? what kind of rents are you paying?

thanks
cri

I'm getting an apartment with a roommate at Echelon Glenn. We'll be paying somewhere around $950 for the two of us, IIRC. There are plenty of options. I suggest EG, Timber Ridge or the Landing as starting points to look at.

Depakote, So does this mean that you are set to go to UMDNJ or are you still holding out for the others? We close on our house tomorrow.

Congrats on the house.

I'm still waiting to hear on a couple of waitlists. My roomie is being nice and understanding... I've offered to help him find a replacement if I wind up going elsewhere.

Okay guys - I finally gave up my seat at DMU.
Now I have to decide if going to an MD school for twice the price of UMDNJ is really going to be worth it...

i got a peek at the new 1st yr curriculum and if they do it the way they're planning. its pretty cool. its more systems based so they try and correlate all the classes by organ system - say u're learning abdominals - u'll have the histo, anat, physio, etc about the abdominal area and GI at the same time so that u can start making the connections. and they have some 2nd yr classes now at the end of ur 1st yr - some path, neuropath, and neuropharm. pretty cool.

SOMA is trying 2 put 2gether course packets (lecture materials) and print it at kinkos 4 purchase and hopefully, we'll get it out 2 those who pre-order it during ur orientation week. otherwise u can just download the lecture material every week and print it urself - but u'll soon find that can get 2 b a pain cuz it takes alot of time and sometimes, $ (ink jet printer cartridges which run out ater about 200 pages and some profs have > 100 slides in a single lecture!). some of my friends who printed at school, went through their entire 4 yr print quota during 2nd semester and had 2 pay IST so that they could print at school again. so watch 4 a pre-order form either in the summer mailing or via email. if u don't pre-order, we might offer opps 2 order it after school starts as well if u find that printing out the stuff urself is as much a pain as i think it is. hope u guys have been getting the apartment guide and sublet/roommate list that we try 2 update weekly (if new info comes in). feel free 2 hit those ppl up in the apartment guide w/ ur questions and they've also all agreed 2 give u a tour of their places when u come down here 2 look at apts. if any of u r looking 2 buy a pda, we're also working on a palm/treo sale (hopefully) though honestly, prob won't need one til 3rd yr unless u're just in2 pdas. enjoy ur last 2 months of freedom....;) and c u's during orientation and all of u better come 2 the osteoblast par-tee (we're in the midst of planning it right now).

I remember someone telling me that the professors have a tendency to change their notes up at the last minute before lecture. Is there assurance that the professors will not be doing this again?

One more question. The notes that are being put together..does this include fall and spring semester? Because I also heard that many people used their laptops for anatomy, and that physiology notes were provided by the professors. Is there still a huge amount of printing that has to be done for the rest of the classes?

Last question I promise. I thought that the new curriculum was for the class of 2012 and not for the class of 2011?

I remember someone telling me that the professors have a tendency to change their notes up at the last minute before lecture. Is there assurance that the professors will not be doing this again?

One more question. The notes that are being put together..does this include fall and spring semester? Because I also heard that many people used their laptops for anatomy, and that physiology notes were provided by the professors. Is there still a huge amount of printing that has to be done for the rest of the classes?

Last question I promise. I thought that the new curriculum was for the class of 2012 and not for the class of 2011?

yes, sometimes profs change their notes but that didn't happen very often 1st semester last yr when we printed up a similar kinkos packet. and i will make the disclaimer that "profs may change their notes" b/c there is no way anyone can get them 2 promise that they won't, but like i said, it didn't happen that often. so no, there is no assurance that profs won't change their notes. the notes r 4 fall semester. we'll work on spring semester course packet during xmas break. physio notes were provided by the profs but it doesn't look like they have the $ 2 do it this year b/c dr yin told me he will provide us the lecture materials 4 the course packet. i need 2 confirm but it doesn't look like physio packets will come from them this yr. i'm not sure about using laptops 4 anatomy. i'm someone who uses my laptop 4 everything but i still had 2 print out the anatomy powerpoints and carsia, he likes 2 have > 100 slides per lecture alot of the time. its up 2 the students whether they like 2 print out their notes themselves or preorder a packet. sometimes it gets 2 be a pain 2 remember every weekend 2 print out notes 4 all the classes (esp if u don't go 2 class and don't remember til the night b4 exam 2 print them, let me tell u). also if u have an ink jet printer, it gets pretty expensive replacing printer cartridges after every 200 sheets or so. i know that 2nd semester when we didn't make a course packet, some of my friends who printed at school, went over their 3200 sheet for 4 yrs printer quota and had 2 pay IST 2 increase their limit so that they could print again. from looking at what i've gotten 4 the 2nd yr course packet, it only gets worse - the 2nd yr packet will b much bigger than the 1st yr one. but at least u have a choice 2 go w/ whatever option u like. our 2nd semester, we had no packet so we were printing the material out ourselves. the physio material alone is crazy. our packet last yr was around $30, without the 3 huge physio packets, so it'll def b more than that this yr. the profs r also revamping the notes 4 ur new curriculum. u're not having some of the profs we did this yr (drs duda and bailin r not teaching) and u have that cool new curriculum w/ 2nd yr stuff in there. and yes, u will b amazed at how many trees we kill w/ the amt of printing we do.

i talked w/ drs hock (physio) and white (neuro) and u guys will get a new (should i say different) curriculum next yr. it might not b the "final" version but u def r getting some 2nd yr classes at the end of the year (unless sth gets in the way or roadblocks it)

Okay guys - I finally gave up my seat at DMU.
Now I have to decide if going to an MD school for twice the price of UMDNJ is really going to be worth it...

dep where u wanna end up. som has its own ortho residency but if u're interested in md ortho residencies, i'd try and find out more info. ortho residencies tend 2 b competitive (and they might b snotty, esp the more prestigious programs, about the DO letters behind ur name dep on the program so i'd do some research). if this sorta stuff doesn't matter, then som is prob the better choice.

It is my understanding that he new revamped curriculum is set to be released for the Class of 2012. The Accrediting powers that be (COCA) needed to approve dramatic curriculum changes, and there was not enough time for that being that the new curriculum plan was introduced in March. The changes for the class of 2011 1st year curriculum I believe are being made based what they have always been based on; feedback from us (Class of 2010) and previous classes. I may be wrong though....just my 2 cents

dep where u wanna end up. som has its own ortho residency but if u're interested in md ortho residencies, i'd try and find out more info. ortho residencies tend 2 b competitive (and they might b snotty, esp the more prestigious programs, about the DO letters behind ur name dep on the program so i'd do some research). if this sorta stuff doesn't matter, then som is prob the better choice.

Well it doesn't matter to me so much. I'd prefer SOM b/c it is closer to home, cheaper, and I can't tell you how supportive the school has been for me when this whole terrible thing happened to my mother. It means a lot to me.

My MD friends though keep telling me that I have to go MD no matter the cost, which seems a little extreme, if you ask me! But it's always easy to spend other people's money. :laugh:

Thanks for the tips on the new curric. It sounds like fun.

It is my understanding that he new revamped curriculum is set to be released for the Class of 2012. The Accrediting powers that be (COCA) needed to approve dramatic curriculum changes, and there was not enough time for that being that the new curriculum plan was introduced in March. The changes for the class of 2011 1st year curriculum I believe are being made based what they have always been based on; feedback from us (Class of 2010) and previous classes. I may be wrong though....just my 2 cents

no, i think we're both right. the full-blown "new" curriculum does still have 2 b approved but next yr, according 2 drs hock and white, the incoming 1st yrs will have a more systems based style w/ some path, neuropath, and neuropharm as well as some medicine modules (rheumatology, ortho) sprinkled in. i just thought that cool and asked both of them why our class got shafted. they thought that was funny. i'm sure they'll still shift some things around so what i saw was by no means the final product, but the incoming 1st yrs will get some previously 2nd yr classes...and the 2nd yrs (us) have no more HPDP. they def got rid of it. i guess my bad by calling what i saw a 'new' curriculum. guess those r the changes from FB but its still cool.

You're right. I looked for Dr. Hock's email and wrote to him. His response stated that there are no changes to curriculum besides the feedback from prior classes. The new curriculum is for the entering 2012 class, not for 2011. Thanks!

Hey does anyone know the best internet providers around Stratford (i.e - the cheapest!!!)?

Hey does anyone know the best internet providers around Stratford (i.e - the cheapest!!!)?

there was a deal through yahoo 4 verizon last yr that was cheap. though i got a more expensive plan cuz i wanted a faster connection and wireless. whatever u get, try 2 call in advance. i ordered my DSL 2 weeks in advance and i still didn't get it til 2 weeks after i moved in. another friend had the same experience w/ verizon. dunno if getting cable modem is installed faster or not but it seemed that ppl i know who went w/ the comcast triple play got their service faster.

You're right. I looked for Dr. Hock's email and wrote to him. His response stated that there are no changes to curriculum besides the feedback from prior classes. The new curriculum is for the entering 2012 class, not for 2011. Thanks!

yes, u and MWL r right. i explicitly asked dr hock 2day cuz maybe he didn't hear me when i asked if that was the 'new curriculum 4 NEXT YR' and he thought i just asked if it was the new curriculum. sorry 4 getting peeps excited. ur curriculum will be more like ours this past yr w/ some slight changes but no 2nd yr material will b put in til 2012. and dr hock remembered u ;)

anyways, enjoy the rest of summer b4 u have 2 start the med school study grind.

Flymusician what instrument(s) do you play? I am a drummer and would reaaaaly like to start a band....

Flymusician what instrument(s) do you play? I am a drummer and would reaaaaly like to start a band....

I play the keyboard. Mostly for my church, but my skills have dropped significantly.. :(

if any of you are moving into echelon glenn let me know by PM, I've got some tips on where to live and how to haggle.

J

if u wanna live on the lakeside of echelon glen, i can also tell u about that part (so just shoot me a PM) since i live in that part of the complex away from the main part of the glen. also they will give u student discounts so don't 4get 2 mention u r from umdnj. then ur security dep will be only $200 as long as u don' t have pets. the standard discount is 1 month off so they multiply the monthly rent by 11 and then divide by 12. i know the market rent 4 my 1 bdrm apt 4 next yr is $945 so with discount that comes out about $866/mo. the units in the main part of the glen (not lakeside) r a little cheaper. they did raise the rent $50/mo for next yr but i got them down $10/mo and am still in the process 2 try and negotiate it further. the utilities here rn't that bad. $20-30 for electric and about $30 for gas in summer to $60 (though some ppl had more) in the winter since its gas heat. A/C is electric so that does go up alot in the summer dep on how much u use it. even though its a little more expensive on this side, i like that i have the last unit that abuts on the lake so my kitties can watch the ducks/geese and most of the residents on this side r either 3rd/4th yrs or families and usu quiet.

Does anybody know the ratio of instate vs out of state students? Im trying to decide whether to apply, I am a NY resident.

Does anybody know the ratio of instate vs out of state students? Im trying to decide whether to apply, I am a NY resident.

Everybody ultimately winds up in-state so it's hard to get a good idea of the exact numbers... It's amazingly easy to get IS status for tuition.

I've heard they don't give pref to IS v. OOS. (I was skeptical about that when I heard it)

I got in OOS, I think as a NY resident it would be worth a shot.

Everybody ultimately winds up in-state so it's hard to get a good idea of the exact numbers... It's amazingly easy to get IS status for tuition.

I've heard they don't give pref to IS v. OOS. (I was skeptical about that when I heard it)

I got in OOS, I think as a NY resident it would be worth a shot.

What were your stats if you don't mind me asking?