Official Umdnj-som Class Of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
that's a good point about electric bills, I live at Echelon where heat is gas and you pay based on square footage and community usage - Village is electric $$$

-J

Members don't see this ad.

that's a good point about electric bills, I live at Echelon where heat is gas and you pay based on square footage and community usage - Village is electric $$$

-J

yea I saw a lot of posts about that in the class of 2010 thread from last year. docj - do you live by yourself? and if you do, what other complexes did you consider? I also saw that many people were planning to live in the landings last year...any comments about how your current living situation is working out??

Members don't see this ad :)
yea I saw a lot of posts about that in the class of 2010 thread from last year. docj - do you live by yourself? and if you do, what other complexes did you consider? I also saw that many people were planning to live in the landings last year...any comments about how your current living situation is working out??

live in a 2br with my gf. echelon and village are a bit more expensive but in a nicer area and closer to grocery stores and mall. for me it came down to echelon or the village and i just liked it better at echelon.

i know nothing about the landings so sorry i can't give info about that. i've been pretty happy here for 3 years and expect to live here at least 1 maybe 2 more. the only thing that i really might have considered over being here is buying a condo but the market has been all over the place and i'm not sure i'll be here for residency so i'm glad i'm free to go wherever when i'm done.

-J

Oh oh. I just noticed there's 6 math credits required & I only have 4...
Guess I know how I'm spending my summer....:(

I know math is a pretty strictly defined subject, but do you have anything that might even tangentially meet the requirement? It would be worth checking to see if UMDNJ will take it.

I know math is a pretty strictly defined subject, but do you have anything that might even tangentially meet the requirement? It would be worth checking to see if UMDNJ will take it.

Closest I've got is Accounting. AKA - "Creative Math" - as I like to call it. ;)
Probably won't count, but I did call to ask them about it & am waiting for some response. Meanwhile, I am preparing to sign up for an over-priced statistics course that starts next week, because they say that will count...

Kuba, I could never be a true Jersey girl!

Closest I've got is Accounting. AKA - "Creative Math" - as I like to call it. ;)
Probably won't count, but I did call to ask them about it & am waiting for some response. Meanwhile, I am preparing to sign up for an over-priced statistics course that starts next week, because they say that will count...

Kuba, I could never be a true Jersey girl!

10 bucks says they accept the accounting class

I would try to get paula on the phone directly... I had real trouble getting an e-mail response from her about one of my classes.

Okay! So, someone took a message & told me they'd ask Paula to get back to me. Does that count?? I know she has called me back personally on another question I had.

Members don't see this ad :)

approximately how many classes is that? The university that I went to had a strange system and each class only counted as 1 credit so I always get confused when credits are mentioned...

I took two calc classes and a psych stat class...do you think that's enough???

approximately how many classes is that? The university that I went to had a strange system and each class only counted as 1 credit so I always get confused when credits are mentioned...

I took two calc classes and a psych stat class...do you think that's enough???

If you go by hours, that might be able to tell you - can't imagine you'd need any more than that - yikes!!!

Usually 4 credits means 4 semester hours.

10 bucks says they accept the accounting class

Well she says normally they don't - it doesn't really require a lot of calculating like other math stuff. But she says she's going to check into it and didn't think it would be a big issue. I told her I could start a statistics class next week and she said not to worry about it.

As it turns out AACOMAS only has me down for 3 math credits, so it's even worse than I thought! :mad:

So I finally received my invitation for admitted students day. Who here is going?

I'm going...that reminds me i gotta get a hotel.

did anyone get kicked off the UMDNJ-SOM Facebook group??? I thought that was very rude!

Kicked off???!!! :( What ever for??!

having a hidden profile i guess. I didn't realize that my profile was hidden. If someone really wanted to see my profile they could've just made a friend request or messaged me. No need to go around deleting people

having a hidden profile i guess. I didn't realize that my profile was hidden. If someone really wanted to see my profile they could've just made a friend request or messaged me. No need to go around deleting people

yea when i read that warning about being removed for a hidden profile I thought it was sort of strange. Most of us in the group friended eachother anyway so I dont see why having a hidden profile would be a problem...

i hope that someone let's you back in!!

a 4th yr was cool enough 2 just email out 2 us their class match list w/ email addresses 4 each person so if we had q's about a specific specialty, we could email them. if u guys want it emailed 2 u, pls PM me. i have all the match lists from classes of 2004-2007. sorry orthodoc, no one seems 2 have tried 4 ortho this year.

a 4th yr was cool enough 2 just email out 2 us their class match list w/ email addresses 4 each person so if we had q's about a specific specialty, we could email them. if u guys want it emailed 2 u, pls PM me. i have all the match lists from classes of 2004-2007. sorry orthodoc, no one seems 2 have tried 4 ortho this year.

Awesome. Thanks. I just PM'd you...

Hey everyone!

Looking forward to meeting you guys at admitted student's day...you guys should check out the facebook group if you haven't joined!

Didn't go for it, or didn't get it? We'll probably never know....thus, the ongoing match list futility....;)

actually one tried but didn't match

Didn't go for it, or didn't get it? We'll probably never know....thus, the ongoing match list futility....;)

just because they didn't get it, doesn't mean you can't. I am hoping to go into Orthopedics too, but I am not letting the match list tell me what i can or can not do after graduating from UMDNJ-SOM.

Hey everyone!

Looking forward to meeting you guys at admitted student's day...you guys should check out the facebook group if you haven't joined!

Is this compulsory? Is there any punishment for not showing up?

haha, no, you don't have to go. I know a few people that aren't going.

haha, no, you don't have to go. I know a few people that aren't going.

yes, and we're already making fun of them... BWAHAHA!:smuggrin:

In fact, I'm thinking of starting a new UMDNJ Student Organization:

People that make fun of those that didn't come to Housing Day '06

Of course, it would have to be open to all students, not just those that came to housing day, but then we could let people who didn't come join and make fun of them there... talk about convienience. And hey, free pizza... school sponsored groups always get free pizza.

Does anyone know what activities are in stored for us that day???

Well, apparently free pizza! What more can we ask for, really?! :D

yes, and we're already making fun of them... BWAHAHA!:smuggrin:

In fact, I'm thinking of starting a new UMDNJ Student Organization:

People that make fun of those that didn't come to Housing Day '06

Of course, it would have to be open to all students, not just those that came to housing day, but then we could let people who didn't come join and make fun of them there... talk about convienience. And hey, free pizza... school sponsored groups always get free pizza.

well thank goodness I won't be affected! I'm not coming to the Housing Day '07.... phew, that was a close one! i guess i can come and make fun of all of the people that didn't go last year! :laugh: :smuggrin:

well thank goodness I won't be affected! I'm not coming to the Housing Day '07.... phew, that was a close one! i guess i can come and make fun of all of the people that didn't go last year! :laugh: :smuggrin:

:laugh:

Does anyone have any specific information about the pre-matriculation program at som? What are the classes like? Are there exams every week? All I know is that it starts on June 20th... I would appreciate any help/advice I can get. Help please!!

Kay, I got a schedule of the pre-mat program. It runs for 5 weeks and includes courses such as biochemistry, histology, physiology, and some OMM...I think I'm gonna take it...let me know if you have any other questions :)

Kay, I got a schedule of the pre-mat program. It runs for 5 weeks and includes courses such as biochemistry, histology, physiology, and some OMM...I think I'm gonna take it...let me know if you have any other questions :)

Hey, did you get that in the mail? Argh.. I didn't get anything like that. Could you possibly email me that? Or is it on paper... Argh. now I'm really curious

Does anyone know what activities are in stored for us that day???

from what i know...11 am-noon, u guys will b split up in2 breakout groups w/ us small group leaders. each group will hopefully have a leader from every yr (cuz i know as a 1st yr i can't answer any q's on rotations). u guys get 2 ask us anything u want til ur hearts content. then we'll have lunch w/ u's where u can ask more q's while talking w/ ur mouth full (a pet peeve of mine btw) :)

then i think some of us will give tours esp 2 parents that come (yeah, some peeps bring the 'rents). and from 1-4 pm, the multipurpose room will have tables set up w/ housing info and alot of the student clubs will b available 2 recruit and talk up their respective clubs. i'm not sure if there's anything else in b/t but this is all i know from a small group leader and prez of a couple of clubs perspective. i know that nblho (latino club) has a salsa lesson that night ($5 for non-members and i'm trying 2 c if accepted students can go) and there usu is an 'around the world' party but nothing's set yet 4 this year about that.

and pizza...u guys will b so sick of pizza by the end of the 1st month of school cuz alot of clubs give out free pizza at their 1st (recruiting) general body meetings.

Hey, did you get that in the mail? Argh.. I didn't get anything like that. Could you possibly email me that? Or is it on paper... Argh. now I'm really curious

check this addy out. if u contact jackie giacobbe , she should send u a letter about it. [email protected] or 856-566-6738. i know that last year i asked about it b4 they sent me that letter. its optional though 4 some students i think they get sent a letter w/o asking b/c the school wanted them 2 do pre-matric 4 various reasons. i'm also gonna try and put 2gether a list of potential subletters 4 ppl who come earlier or 2 do pre-matric. i originally was gonna do sth else earlier 2 help u guys w/ housing but well, things take a while 2 get approval from admin (i still haven't gotten the green light on my student host program proposal yet since xmas - maybe next yr :) ) so i housed that idea in favor of doing a subletters list which we'll distribute thru soma (student osteopathic med assoc) 2 u guys in time 4 summer. no worries. i heard from friends who did pre-matric that they really enjoyed it, that it helped get them ready 2 start classes, and that they made alot of friends.

http://som.umdnj.edu/education/student_services/csar/prematric_program.html

there's going to be night events? How late does it go?

well the 'night events' are unofficial and held off campus by the student body - and definitely not to be missed if you can stick around - but again, nothing's set up just yet.

well the 'night events' are unofficial and held off campus by the student body - and definitely not to be missed if you can stick around - but again, nothing's set up just yet.

i asked nblho (latino club) whether accepted students can attend their salsa lesson event that night at 6 pm in MPR (the room where housing fair and student club tables will b) and they said yes as long as u pay the non-member $5 - they'll provide free bottled water cuz ppl get real thirsty doing salsa. u can ask 4 more info at their club table during accepted students day

the unofficial event in the past has been an 'around the world' party (i'm sure most of u know what this entails) and if ppl drink 2 much, they usu crash on older students' couches. though as of 2day, nothing's been settled yet whether its a go this yr or not.

i asked nblho (latino club) whether accepted students can attend their salsa lesson event that night at 6 pm in MPR (the room where housing fair and student club tables will b) and they said yes as long as u pay the non-member $5 - they'll provide free bottled water cuz ppl get real thirsty doing salsa. u can ask 4 more info at their club table during accepted students day

the unofficial event in the past has been an 'around the world' party (i'm sure most of u know what this entails) and if ppl drink 2 much, they usu crash on older students' couches. though as of 2day, nothing's been settled yet whether its a go this yr or not.

I did not RSVP for the accepted student stuff, can i still go? It's next week and am hoping to use it to premier my white coat.

I did not RSVP for the accepted student stuff, can i still go? It's next week and am hoping to use it to premier my white coat.

dunno, i would say call paula. she would know. and its 'premiere'..and u won't get ur som white coat til the ceremony which usu is the last sun in july.

sorry but it seems like the annual 'around the world' party on the night of accepted students day is a no-go:( . medicine ball is the next day, the regional sosa convention (which is at pcom this year) is the same night, and a host of other issues seemed 2 have derailed it 4 this yr unless sth miraculously changes b/t now and fri.

but u guys can go 2 nbhlo's salsa lesson that night at 6 pm and maybe someone can set up an impromptu thing at one of the local bars like pufferbellys or sharkeys or sth. ask around 2 the upperclassmen at the student organizations fair about places u guys can hang out later that night or if any of them r willing 2 point u guys 2 a good time. dunno if i'll b busy that night or not yet.