Official US News 2005 Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have last weeks rankings so we can compare? (as pointless as it might be, it might be a platform for discussion!)

thank you!

:clap::horns:

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by gsx56
Does anyone have last weeks rankings so we can compare? (as pointless as it might be, it might be a platform for discussion!)

thank you!

Last "Week"'s ranking? Well I'm afraid US News' not greedy enough to pump out ranking every week for purchase...;)

maybe last weeks rankings were still last years (2004) rankings?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by elias514
I just think that it's a bit strange that Vandy does not accept students from my school and other public institutions of similar academic caliber. It's as if we're blacklisted there.

Sometimes previous matriculants who came from your ugrad can negatively influence a school's decision by poor performance which, in adcoms' minds, reflects poor preparation by the ugrad.

Originally posted by gsx56

thank you!

haha, is that the next step? the 800 lb us news gorilla will move to weekly rankings to enslave us

Originally posted by raincrew
i completely agree w/ juddson. case in point: upenn for undergrad. their us news rankings has skyrocketed to its current #5 in the past 10 years or so and in turn, its acceptance rate has gone down from 40-50% or so in the early 90's to the high teens now. traditionally, it was seen as the "back-up" ivy but my impression is that at least now, it is one of the most desirable schools in the country to get into. it is and always has been an incredible school but it goes to show what rankings can do for reputation.

My understanding is that Penn has benefited from really good athletics and alumni relations.

Hey, if anybody threw down for the full online version could you please post schools numbered 53-70 (or thereabouts) so that your poor SDN brothers and sisters can see?

I concur,

How about the FULL list :)

It would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Miami
53. University of California ? Irvine
University of Massachusetts ? Worcester
Univ. of Texas Health Science Center ? Houston
56. Stony Brook University (NY)
Tulane University (LA)
UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
University of Connecticut
60. Va. Commonwealth U. ? Medical Col. of Va.

Originally posted by SoulRFlare
umass--worcester: primary care scores
#3 primary care
79 overall
3.4 peer
3.5 residency directors
Thanks SoulRFlare. You rock.

I'm specifically interested in CMS-Finch & NYMC

Originally posted by Mr Reddly
Not really. I'd gladly give up my 24th ranked school for a 49th and even for a certain unnamed 53-60th ranked school :D Anybody wanna trade? :( didn't think so.

...location...location...location. :laugh:

I'd give that same #24 school for andy of the three with the word "California" in its name ranked below that one as well. but alas, no love.

Members don't see this ad :)
could someone post the Emory stats, like residency dir. scores ,etc?
thanks

Originally posted by Mr Reddly
Not really. I'd gladly give up my 24th ranked school for a 49th and even for a certain unnamed 53-60th ranked school :D Anybody wanna trade? :( didn't think so.

...location...location...location. :laugh:

24th-ranked....Is it Case or Sinai or something??

And we all know you LOVE California :D

and oh yea, I think I'm set on going to UCLA now ;)

Originally posted by pekq
What???!!! NYU dropped below MSSM by one rank? I guess I'll withdraw from NYU and go to MSSM now.

I guess that whole financial debt fiasco thing didn't affect its ranking.

Originally posted by ocean11
I'm specifically interested in CMS-Finch & NYMC

They arent ranked as far as I can tell

i found it interesting case increased their research $ by 30%+ or something w/ the cleveland clinic acquisition, yet didn't incnrease in ranking.

-baylor actually lose research funding

-utsw has a higher peer/residency score than baylor

Originally posted by darkcity998
I guess that whole financial debt fiasco thing didn't affect its ranking.

Actually, the year before last, MSSM was up at 22. So the mismanagement crisis affected last year's rankings, but MSSM has rebounded nicely this year, even moved up a spot. :)

Originally posted by Yogi Bear
i found it interesting case increased their research $ by 30%+ or something w/ the cleveland clinic acquisition, yet didn't incnrease in ranking.

-baylor actually lose research funding

-utsw has a higher peer/residency score than baylor

I believe if I understand it correctly Baylor didnt lose research funding persay, it had extra research funding after the floods and I think those expired this past cycle. So if anything, the previous 2-3 years research funding numbers were inflated.

UTSW has always had a higher peer/residency score than Baylor. In fact, Baylor's peer and residency scores are lower than similarly ranked schools.

Case didnt "buy" or "take over" the Cleveland Clinic did it? I thought Lerner was seperate from Case at least as an institution? They just seem to be more distant than Harvard and its affiliates, at least based on what I read.

Originally posted by Gleevec
I believe if I understand it correctly Baylor didnt lose research funding persay, it had extra research funding after the floods and I think those expired this past cycle. So if anything, the previous 2-3 years research funding numbers were inflated.

UTSW has always had a higher peer/residency score than Baylor. In fact, Baylor's peer and residency scores are lower than similarly ranked schools.

Case didnt "buy" or "take over" the Cleveland Clinic did it? I thought Lerner was seperate from Case at least as an institution? They just seem to be more distant than Harvard and its affiliates, at least based on what I read.

Case didnt "buy" Lerner. Lerner considered a program within CWRU located at the cleveland clinic campus. The administration is Case and the degree granting institution is Case. You could liken it to the UCB/UCSF JMP.

hey, can someone give me the history of baylor coll of med? i.e. why does it have a lower reputaiton than utsw? on the interview history last year, i remember one student mention that baylor university sold the college of medicine to someone (rice?). baylor/utsw reminds me of situation w/ stanford/ucsf (i.e. top public/private schools in one state).

Originally posted by Yogi Bear
hey, can someone give me the history of baylor coll of med? i.e. why does it have a lower reputaiton than utsw? on the interview history last year, i remember one student mention that baylor university sold the college of medicine to someone (rice?). baylor/utsw reminds me of situation w/ stanford/ucsf (i.e. top public/private schools in one state).

Im not sure why Baylor has a lower reputation than UTSW, though I think Baylor's name is TERRIBLE because many people feel its affiliated with the undergrad which its not.

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/view/BB/kbb7.html

Of note is that Baylor COM was in fact supposed to be where UTSW currently resides (until it moved to Houston). Baylor COM was not sold, but moved to Houston in order to seperate from the undergrad fully, as well as the increased local funding inducement to go to Houston, and had a new charter that basically treats Baylor COM like any other TX medical school with the exception that 75% instead of 90% of students must be in-state (hence the tuition being the same for Baylor, and Baylor in fact being on TMDSAS until recently). Baylor is NOT affiliated with Rice in any direct way (though you can get joint degrees, etc).

None of that really sheds any light on the rankings really, and its kinda weird, all the people I know that got into both UTSW and Baylor chose Baylor, even though UTSW apparently has a better residency rep. There was a thread a while back speculating while Baylor had a lower residency director rank, including some of my own guesses, but its kinda a mystery to be honest. If you look at the match list thread in Allo, Baylor has a lot of competitive matches (and the actual list has a lot of competitive hospitals), though I would say that a disporportionate number stay in TX compared to other schools.

But in terms of the Baylor-UTSW difference in residency ranking, Im not sure. UTSW has a dominating internal medicine and basic sciences, but for most other things, the Baylor/TMC hospitals are more highly regarded. And since a good number of people match to their med school's residency programs, you would think that would reflect well on the school. So your guess is as good as mind.

Originally posted by Gleevec
None of that really sheds any light on the rankings really, and its kinda weird, all the people I know that got into both UTSW and Baylor chose Baylor, even though UTSW apparently has a better residency rep. There was a thread a while back speculating while Baylor had a lower residency director rank, including some of my own guesses, but its kinda a mystery to be honest. If you look at the match list thread in Allo, Baylor has a lot of competitive matches (and the actual list has a lot of competitive hospitals), though I would say that a disporportionate number stay in TX compared to other schools.

But in terms of the Baylor-UTSW difference in residency ranking, Im not sure. UTSW has a dominating internal medicine and basic sciences, but for most other things, the Baylor/TMC hospitals are more highly regarded. And since a good number of people match to their med school's residency programs, you would think that would reflect well on the school. So your guess is as good as mind.

Gleevec's post is very comprehensive, but I think there are a few more pertinent facts. TMC is the largest medical center on the face of the planet, literally, and it encompasses some very good hospitals like MD Anderson and Texas Childrens. I might speculate that Baylor students able to do rotations in these places might learn a little more than UTSW's Parkland (whose neonatal ward is quite good in its own right). The fact that Baylor can accept more out-of-state students suggests that these same students may not be as committed to remaining in Texas for residency as UTSW's, which may give the Baylor name more exposure.

One reason why people might tend to choose Baylor over Southwestern is location. Dallas might be right for those accustomed to wide-open spaces, but Houston feels marginally more cosmopolitan and centered for those seeking a city proper.

Interesting point about the flood though. I hadn't thought of that.

Hey SoulFlare,

Can you do me a big favor and post the stats for UNC and Pittsburgh

Thanks a bunch.

for research, the rankings extend to 60 and no further...I posted the list earlier of something like 51-60

Originally posted by Newquagmire
TMC is the largest medical center on the face of the planet, literally, and it encompasses some very good hospitals like MD Anderson and Texas Childrens.

i love texas childrens! that building and outside design is soo cool. esp. the cool letter blocks they have outside.

Originally posted by jlee9531
i love texas childrens! that building and outside design is soo cool. esp. the cool letter blocks they have outside.

It took me like a few seconds to figure out that you're talking about a hospital. You almost sounded like a pedophile ;)

If anyone has the extended rankings, what are some numbers (ranking values) for Albany Medical College and George Washington University? Thanks

Originally posted by CalBeE
It took me like a few seconds to figure out that you're talking about a hospital. You almost sounded like a pedophile ;)

LOL :laugh:

Originally posted by jlee9531

Yeah and the INSIDE is so much better. Tons of cows from "Cows on Parade" lots of good artwork. Definitely the best children's hospital Ive seen in that regard.

And the thing it, TCH is still growing.

Originally posted by Wardens

Plus, the notion of something objectively determining is really attractive. It's comforting to think that there is something objectively better about one school rather than another and USNews fills that otherwise empty void nicely.

it's not entirely objective though... 40% of the grade comes from subjective data. 30% of the grade comes from counting only NIH monies...though many schools have thousands if not millions of dollars in private monies that aren't being counted. things like mean mcats and gpas are there....but pretty useless to draw inferences from, since schools accept a much broader range of mcat and gpas.

the rankings make for good magazine sales, amusing reading, long threads and good toilet paper...but i wouldn't pick a school based on them.

I know some of us were wondering about peer assessment scores, but too cheap to get the PREMIUM edition of US News...anyway this is from 2005, but it gives you an idea. I wish they had listed the scores for every school though!

If anyone has access to the 2006 version, could you please list the scores for Dartmouth, OSU, UVA, URoch, UPitt, Vandy, and Emory...I'm especially curious about Dartmouth's because someone was saying their peer assessment score was "bad." Thanks :)

Edit: Whoops, never mind. The OP just listed the PA and RD scores for the first 10 schools. After that, he just listed the schools in order of rank...which we can all access, premium or not. Darn.

Rank School Peer Res
1. Harvard 4.9/4.8
2. JHU 4.9/4.8
3. Wash U 4.6/4.4
4. UPenn 4.6/4.4
5. UCSF 4.7/4.5
6. Duke 4.7/4.6
7. UWash 4.4/4.1
8. Stanford 4.6/4.5
9. UMich 4.5/4.5
10. Columbia 4.3/4.4
11. UCLA 4.1/4.0
11. Yale 4.3/4.3
13. Baylor 3.9/3.9
14. Cornell 4.1/4.2
14. UCSD 4.0/3.9
16. UPitt 4.0/4.0
17. UT-Dallas 4.3/4.1
17. Vanderbilt 4.1/4.0
19. UChi-Pritzker 4.0/4.1
20. Case Western 3.7/3.8
20. Emory 3.9/4.0
20. Northwestern 3.8/4.0
23. Mayo 3.7/4.1
23. UAB 3.9/3.8
23. UNC 3.9/4.0
26. UVa 3.7/3.9
26. UWisc 3.6/3.8
28. BU 3.2/3.5
28. Iowa 3.7/3.8
30. Colorado 3.6/3.5
30. Rochester 3.6/3.6
32. Siani 3.4/3.6
32. NYU 3.4/3.7
32. USC 3.3/3.4
35. Dartmouth 3.4/3.8
35. Oregon 3.4/3.4
37. Ohio State 3.1/3.4
38. UMinn 3.4/3.6
38. Yeshiva 3.3/3.4
40. Brown 3.1/3.6
41. Cinnci 3.1/3.3
41. Wake 3.2/3.4
43. Tufts 3.4/3.7
43. Maryland 3.2/3.3
45. Indiana 3.4/3.5
46. Georgetown 2.9/3.5
46. UCD 3.1/3.3
46. UCI 2.8/3.2
46. Florida 3.1/3.2
46. UMass 3.0/3.1

:love: everyone has been so helpful tonight. I wasn't expecting any responses. Thanks! It's interesting how Tufts has pretty high peer/res scores despite its low rank. The painfully high tuition must contribute to its low rank...

Dakota said:
Rank School Peer Res
1. Harvard 4.9/4.8
2. JHU 4.9/4.8
3. Wash U 4.6/4.4
4. UPenn 4.6/4.4
5. UCSF 4.7/4.5
6. Duke 4.7/4.6
7. UWash 4.4/4.1
8. Stanford 4.6/4.5
9. UMich 4.5/4.5
10. Columbia 4.3/4.4