**Official VCU Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread**

Started by ash01
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For anyone already attending VCU - could you comment on the atmosphere there? I mean in terms of how competitive students are/the difficulty of classes/the faculty?
 
For anyone already attending VCU - could you comment on the atmosphere there? I mean in terms of how competitive students are/the difficulty of classes/the faculty?
Competition depends on the overall class, but overall not that bad compared to the Columbia/Harvard type. Classes are pretty easy, pre-clinical courses seem to be graded more stringently compared to other dental schools, and is also not pass fail so there is incentive to try harder. Faculty is hit or miss - most are average, some are definite favorites and will go above and behind, only like 3-4 faculty (mostly in clinic) are genuinely unhelpful and should be avoided.
All in all its a dental school on par with the rest of the country - not the worst and probably upper average, I would recommend it to a friend.
 
Competition depends on the overall class, but overall not that bad compared to the Columbia/Harvard type. Classes are pretty easy, pre-clinical courses seem to be graded more stringently compared to other dental schools, and is also not pass fail so there is incentive to try harder. Faculty is hit or miss - most are average, some are definite favorites and will go above and behind, only like 3-4 faculty (mostly in clinic) are genuinely unhelpful and should be avoided.
All in all its a dental school on par with the rest of the country - not the worst and probably upper average, I would recommend it to a friend.
Thanks so much!
 
For anyone already attending VCU - could you comment on the atmosphere there? I mean in terms of how competitive students are/the difficulty of classes/the faculty?

Overall VCU students are competitive just like anywhere else but it won't stop them from helping each other out. For example you don't hear stories of anyone sabotaging a fellow student's work or changing pins for anatomy practicals like I have heard from students at other schools.

I would guess that the classes themselves are of average difficulty for dental schools. We don't take any classes with med students so we are taught a dental school specific curriculum, which I think probably makes it easier. Classes are difficult to fail but also difficult to get an A. I would imagine that is the case with most schools though.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Looking for a female roommate! Already secured an awesome apartment walking distance to campus. Please message me if you're interested 🙂
 
Where exactly do we send our final transcripts to?
You can send the transcript to the address below. Got it from Dr. Gottlieb.
School of Dentistry
Virginia Commonwealth University
520 N 12th Street
P.O.Box 980566
Richmond, VA 23298
 
Status
Not open for further replies.