***Official Wayne State Application Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMP

Recovered Under-Achiever
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought we could keep everything together since there are about 20 of these threads started every month. Anyone that has been admitted/interviewed/waitlisted/applied should post their questions and comments here...

I interviewed Jan 24, BTW, and they did not have enough time to review me before the next admission cycle on Jan 31. So I am patiently waiting for Feb 28 which is the next call in day.

Wayne State seems to interview people by MCAT/GPA (heavy on the first), and it seems like they are at about 28-29 for in staters and 29-30 OOS'ers. Anyone have any updates? Good luck to everyone, and if you get waitlisted/alternate listed, as they always remind you at Wayne, a lot of students end up coming off the waitlist so don't worry. :) Let's start with a roll-call, or anything else someone wants to comment on.

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed on December 18th
Waitlisted on January 31st
Hopefully Accepted on February 28th

I'm interviewing Wednesday (Feb. 14). In state, 28Q. Do you guys think I might find out on the Feb 28 date? Because that would be awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my secondary by mid January, and two weeks later was invited to an interview on March 23.

OOS 31...Good luck everyone! How many do they interview, and how many do they accept?

I submitted my secondary by Jan 1. I received an invite on Jan 12 for March 16.

OOS 26

I interviewed in the middle of January.
Waitlisted on January 31, 2007. :(

I'm interviewing Wednesday (Feb. 14). In state, 28Q. Do you guys think I might find out on the Feb 28 date? Because that would be awesome.

It would be reasonable for you to find out by the Feb 28 date, yes.
I interviewed on January 22 and the decision had been made by January 31.
(Waitlist.) :(

I love how the Wayne State threads start to gear up whenever decision day approaches. :)

P.S. For overall comparison, I was complete around Nov 15, Invited Nov 28, Interviewed Jan 22. 2.9 UG / 3.9 Grad / 12PS, 12BS, 10VR, R WS.

we'll see soon enough

i have a friend who is 28 MCAT 3.5 GPA in-state.... I think they are going by MCAT first, then by GPA.... :confused:

I interview on Febuary 21st....I was wondering if it is possible for them to make a decision for the 28th call in? I would really hate to have to wait until the end of March!

I interview on Febuary 21st....I was wondering if it is possible for them to make a decision for the 28th call in? I would really hate to have to wait until the end of March!

I think you will be in on time... you'll find out on feb 28

Dec 15th in Dec 18th Offered... (13PS,13VR,P,12BS) 3.0X with almost 50 credits of upper science...

Wow, sounds good to me.
Hopefully things will go your way on the 28th, then!
(And mine, too!)

Good luck!

Wow, sounds good to me.
Hopefully things will go your way on the 28th, then!
(And mine, too!)

Good luck!

I don't know about you... but the whole curriculum is teh :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)

You mean the Wayne State curriculum?
I like what I've read about it so far. My background is strong in physiology, neuro and biochem, not so much in anatomy and histology. But it'll be fun and challenging.
I also enjoyed meeting the MS-1's who ran the tour, and I loved the hospital facilities.

Now if they'd just go ahead and take me already...

I have to say...

1a. lectures online
1b. notes before blocks
2. No PBL :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
3. DMC
4. 8 other hospital systems
5. great big school...

complete: 10/31
interviewed: 12/15
accepted: 12/20

good luck all! :)

Complete early Jan
Invite for interview early Jan (week apart)
Interview on March 16
OOS 28R

Complete late November
Interviewed: first week of January
Accepted: January 31st!!!!!:D

I got an interview today for April 9th:confused:

Is it worth it w/ my other acceptances, esp. w/ the date they gave me? I don't know anything about the school really if it's a really good school or not.

OOS 29

I got an interview today for April 9th:confused:

Is it worth it w/ my other acceptances, esp. w/ the date they gave me? I don't know anything about the school really if it's a really good school or not.

OOS 29

since you have been accepted to other schools...it is completely up to you if you want to go to the interview or not...but i have to say the OOS tuition is preety high at Wayne.
i don't know too much about the schools you have been accepted to so i can't compare anything else.

since you have been accepted to other schools...it is completely up to you if you want to go to the interview or not...but i have to say the OOS tuition is preety high at Wayne.
i don't know too much about the schools you have been accepted to so i can't compare anything else.

yeah, it is way too high... although they might offer you a nice financial packet, but probably not since you are interviewing that late.

yea, i'm not going to go. Esp. since I can stay near my home if I want, and don't really have any reason to want to go to Detroit, I think I'll decline. Especially since it's so late, there's really no point going unless I really wanted to go there.
Thanks all, and good luck.
(i kind of feel bad declining an interview...i don't know why when other schools don't care to reject me :rolleyes: )

OOS, 3.7/29

Complete: mid Dec
Interview: Feb 5th
______ed: 2/28

Is it good when the interviewer says "Well, I don't see any problems here." (where does the ? go in this situation?)
He did say I had a good application earlier.

Could someone explain to me what "teh" means? I used to assume it was an intentional misspelling of "the" but I see it used seemingly intentionally on other forums as well.

Could someone explain to me what "teh" means? I used to assume it was an intentional misspelling of "the" but I see it used seemingly intentionally on other forums as well.

"Teh" is indeed an intentional misspelling of "the" and is widely recognized on online forums. It's part of a long line of "leet" speak, which was once an indicator of being of "elite" status online. You can find out more about it at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

Yes, it's all kind of silly.
But back in the day, beint 1337 could get you w4rez, d00d!

"Teh" is indeed an intentional misspelling of "the" and is widely recognized on online forums. It's part of a long line of "leet" speak, which was once an indicator of being of "elite" status online. You can find out more about it at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

Yes, it's all kind of silly.
But back in the day, beint 1337 could get you w4rez, d00d!

That 1337 page explains it all!!!!!!11one11eleven! (sorry couldn't resist)

interviewed jan 29
waiting for feb 28

I just interviewed today-- the atmosphere was relaxed, and my interviewer was really friendly. She told me she wanted the interview to be more like a conversation. All in all, we ended up talking for about 75 min. Is that generally a good thing? How long were other people's Wayne interviews? ...and good luck, everyone!

OOS, 3.7/29

Complete: mid Dec
Interview: Feb 5th
______ed: 2/28

Is it good when the interviewer says "Well, I don't see any problems here." (where does the ? go in this situation?)
He did say I had a good application earlier.

If you interviewed with Dr. Thomas that is a good sign. I got the "I don't see any problems here" comment from him and I got accepted.

I just interviewed today-- the atmosphere was relaxed, and my interviewer was really friendly. She told me she wanted the interview to be more like a conversation. All in all, we ended up talking for about 75 min. Is that generally a good thing? How long were other people's Wayne interviews? ...and good luck, everyone!

Who did you interview with?
I interviewed with Dr. Carter, and I would say it was about 40 minutes of "interview" (ie, about me, etc.) but overall lasted over an hour due to conversation. About Detroit, things to do and see, etc.

Who did you interview with?
I interviewed with Dr. Carter, and I would say it was about 40 minutes of "interview" (ie, about me, etc.) but overall lasted over an hour due to conversation. About Detroit, things to do and see, etc.

My interviewer was really nice- I'm hoping it went well, but it is always hard to tell because even the most relaxed interviews can be nerve-wracking!

Less than two weeks to go!!!

Interviewed Jan. 24
Anxious yet patiently waiting for Feb. 28 (12:59 pm)

Did anyone else think the format of the interview day was a little... different than other schools??

Did anyone else think the format of the interview day was a little... different than other schools??

Haha you mean kind of unorganized and not informative?? Yes...

The interview itself was as organized as it gets. It goes through the process of going down a list on a sheet. If you don't ask any questions then you are wasting your own time.

I do agree...I mean if ya wanna know something in life you have to ask.

remember..."The only stupid question is an unasked one"....except for the ones the 50 year olds ask in my classes....

If you interviewed with Dr. Thomas that is a good sign. I got the "I don't see any problems here" comment from him and I got accepted.

I did interview with Dr. Thomas, so that is good to hear. Hopefully this will be a trend. Now I just need to wait for the U of MN to send an interview invite.

So I guess a Feb. 28th interview means I'll find out March 31 or so?

So I guess a Feb. 28th interview means I'll find out March 31 or so?

It means the first time you can attempt to find out will be March 28 (Last Wednesday of the month) at 1pm.

You'll be given a phone number to call, and the person on the other end will tell you if you've been accepted, an alternate, or "no longer under consideration."

Hopefully I'll be able to call in on Feb 28th and then not have to do so on March 28. :)

:luck: everyone waiting for 2/28!

Interviewed: 1/2
Accepted 1/31 yay!

I'm instate 30 P (9-10-11) I hate PS......and a 3.98 gpa.

I'm thinking of turning down some of my interviews because honestly, I think this school is decent and for the instate price you can't go wrong. The only schools I really see myself choosing over Wayne are MSU or OSU and I'll find out about that in about 7-10 days, hopefully. Maybe longer for MSU since I have to do a 3rd interview next week.
Ok that went off track lol. Anyway gl.

I'm thinking of turning down some of my interviews because honestly, I think this school is decent and for the instate price you can't go wrong. The only schools I really see myself choosing over Wayne are MSU or OSU and I'll find out about that in about 7-10 days, hopefully. Maybe longer for MSU since I have to do a 3rd interview next week.
Ok that went off track lol. Anyway gl.

where are the other interviews?

I interviewed with Dr. Thomas in October and heard the same comment and got accepted. :)

I really liked the school and everything but it will be very difficult for me to deal with $$$ since I am from OOS.

Withdrawing.. hope one of you guys get my spot. Good luck! :luck:

The interview itself was as organized as it gets. It goes through the process of going down a list on a sheet. If you don't ask any questions then you are wasting your own time.

You're right, "unorganized" probably was not the word I was looking for. But compared to other schools that I've interviewed with, the day at Wayne seemed to be lacking something. Usually there's at least a presentation by the dean of admissions, maybe a financial aid session, a review of the technology the school possesses, and a lunch with JUST applicants and med students. I just think that they could sell the school better by having a fuller, more structured day.

Dont get me wrong though, I think Wayne State is a great school. I got my Masters degree from the school of medicine and I know that there are some truly great people there. In fact, I am 95% certain that I'll be there in the fall!!

I interviewed with Dr. Thomas in October and heard the same comment and got accepted. :)

I really liked the school and everything but it will be very difficult for me to deal with $$$ since I am from OOS.

Withdrawing.. hope one of you guys get my spot. Good luck! :luck:

I'm OOS too, so it may be a difficult decision. I'd be more likely to take the HPSP scholarship.

Interviewed: 12/16
Accepted: 1/31 (it sucked, I had to wait forever, because i just missed the cutoff)

GPA: 3.6
MCAT: 31P

Hope to see all of you there in the fall. Anyone know good places to stay for med students outside of University Towers?

Hope to see all of you there in the fall. Anyone know good places to stay for med students outside of University Towers?

Royal Oak seems to be a nice community for a lot of the med students. It's about 10-15 miles away, but it's supposedly a nice place to live, with a college-town kind of atmosphere.

As far as around campus, there are some good (read: safe) places to live, if you're willing to shell out a little extra.