***Official Wayne State Application Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The school is 80% in state. State schools usually don't have to go out of their way to sell their school. A majority of in state students will likely attend if accepted to the school. Growing up in the area, we already know what great clinical experience we will get at the DMC and it's our home. You really can't go wrong living in Oakland County. I'll be commuting from home, so I'll be saving money.

Members don't see this ad.

Hope to see all of you there in the fall. Anyone know good places to stay for med students outside of University Towers?

Give Student Affairs a call, every year they put together a list of people looking for roomies (both in need of housing and that already have housing). If you play your cards right you can use that list to get set up with an upperclassman who can help you out with many of the WSU specific "issues".

I'd be more likely to take the HPSP scholarship.

Are you sure that you would want to sell your soul to the military for 8 or more years? I looked into that route and decided that I would hold onto my freedom of choice a bit longer and consider signing up for the FAP in another 13 months (if I still feel called to serve).

Members don't see this ad :)
oos

complete- mid- december
interviewed- 1/12
accepted- 1/31

good luck, guys.

Canadian Student
Completed: October
Interviewed: November 6
Accepted: November 29

State schools usually don't have to go out of their way to sell their school.
Well I think Wayne State should have put more effort into promoting the school. They have an excellent medical program and nothing to be ashamed of. But still, there are many things about the admissions process which I find a bit unprofessional, such as the envelopes with ink stamped letterhead, the color coded documents, and the ugly information brochure on "Dissecting Detroit".

another sunday... with nothing to look forward to this week :(

Hey UMP, maybe you should do mock predictions like you did before the MCAT score release (if there is nothing to look forward to this week).

I'll go first.

MCAT: 29O (9-10-10) - 3rd try
GPA: 3.79 sci., 3.82 ovr. - no repeats
ECs: avg. to below avg.

CALL IT for me UMP. The countdown to decision day has begun. Make your predictions. (Yay-WL-Nay)?

P.S.: Tired of waiting and nothing better to do:oops:

Are you sure that you would want to sell your soul to the military for 8 or more years? I looked into that route and decided that I would hold onto my freedom of choice a bit longer and consider signing up for the FAP in another 13 months (if I still feel called to serve).

HPSP=T[SIZE=-1]he Health Professions Scholarship Program=military pays

No, I'm not sure. I've talked to an air force recruiter, and decided to wait for a year. I would sign up for 3 years if I do it. I doubt it will happen because I don't like to shave every day. Does the navy have a new 20k bonus?
[/SIZE]

Anyone have any idea as to what point in the month Dr. Norman makes decisions on the waitlist? Is it possible to get in off the waitlist before the actual call-in date? good luck you guys

Anyone have any idea as to what point in the month Dr. Norman makes decisions on the waitlist? Is it possible to get in off the waitlist before the actual call-in date? good luck you guys

I think they don't make decisions until the last committee meeting day (next monday), and then based on whatever points you were assigned they take in the best candidates they have so far for the spots available... this is just a guess.

Hey UMP, maybe you should do mock predictions like you did before the MCAT score release (if there is nothing to look forward to this week).

I'll go first.

MCAT: 29O (9-10-10) - 3rd try
GPA: 3.79 sci., 3.82 ovr. - no repeats
ECs: avg. to below avg.

CALL IT for me UMP. The countdown to decision day has begun. Make your predictions. (Yay-WL-Nay)?

P.S.: Tired of waiting and nothing better to do:oops:

ha... I think you are in. I think most of us that interviewed this early will get in at least off of WL. The people in march and april might be sweating more, though. It seems like most of the people that were waiting on the waitlist over the summer last year were late interviews.

HPSP=T[SIZE=-1]he Health Professions Scholarship Program=military pays

No, I'm not sure. I've talked to an air force recruiter, and decided to wait for a year. I would sign up for 3 years if I do it. I doubt it will happen because I don't like to shave every day. Does the navy have a new 20k bonus?
[/SIZE]

I haven't looked into the details recently, but when I was speaking with all of the HPSP recruiters (AF, Army, and Navy), I was told that they since the HPSP is a DoD program all of the services are offering exactly the same thing as far as compensation is concerned. Essentially it is up to you to determine which service offers the lifestyle that fits you best (do you like mud, boats, sand, etc?)
Keep in mind that even if you only sign up for a 3 year scholarship that with the IRR time commitment they could still own you for at least 8 years.

As I state previously you might consider taking a look at the FAP (financial assistance program) - where you wait to sign up until you have been accepted into a residency and the military gives you some "annual grants" to help to pay off your loans or whatever else you want to do with the $.

we need to bring a "wrap it up" sign (from the chapelle show) and show it to wayne :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
HA! I knew this thread would pop up again around this time. Who else is stoked for the 28th? It already makes me feel queasy thinking about it, this means worlds to me. Good luck to all of you.

HA! I knew this thread would pop up again around this time. Who else is stoked for the 28th? It already makes me feel queasy thinking about it, this means worlds to me. Good luck to all of you.

I am! I really hope I will be taken off the alternate list. :luck:

I am! I really hope I will be taken off the alternate list. :luck:

me too.

i have a feeling that most people on wayne's alternate list would definitely matriculate at wayne (or maybe it's everyone posting on this thread).

we should start a campaign to convince people accepted at wayne and other school(s) to not attend wayne after everyone has already interviewed(end of april?) so the waitlist can move bigtime.

right there with you on that one...i am looking forward to feb 28th.

i agree ... open up some spots damnit

..get me into Toledo..I'll give you Wayne State

I want this torture to end... please please please just let me in :scared: :oops:

:( I am an OOS and submitted my secondary to wayne state a loooong time ago... Since they screen secondaries, do they usually interview those OOS that submitt secondaries? Does anyone know what mcat score they are currently interviewing?

Are you sending e-mails saying you're very interested in the program?

I think they know I'm interested... If they reject/waitlist me it's not because they think I'm not interested :oops:

Canadian Student
Completed: October
Interviewed: November 6
Accepted: November 29

Well I think Wayne State should have put more effort into promoting the school. They have an excellent medical program and nothing to be ashamed of. But still, there are many things about the admissions process which I find a bit unprofessional, such as the envelopes with ink stamped letterhead, the color coded documents, and the ugly information brochure on "Dissecting Detroit".

actually I think the "dissecting detroit" brochure was the best single piece of info I've gotten at an interview... my friends and I are planning on using as a guide for our upcoming senior barhopping trip.

But yeah, the whole interview day could have been a lot better. after a 9am interview I had to sit around for 2 hours before the tour.

...either way, I'm about 50/50 on choosing wayne right now, the biggest draw to the school being the fact that we've got a lot of students from my school headed there next fall, and it's hard to walk away from close friends.

actually I think the "dissecting detroit" brochure was the best single piece of info I've gotten at an interview... my friends and I are planning on using as a guide for our upcoming senior barhopping trip.

But yeah, the whole interview day could have been a lot better. after a 9am interview I had to sit around for 2 hours before the tour.

...either way, I'm about 50/50 on choosing wayne right now, the biggest draw to the school being the fact that we've got a lot of students from my school headed there next fall, and it's hard to walk away from close friends.

What other schools are you weighing against Wayne? OSU... ?

and I liked "dissecting detroit" also... it might not look very flashy, but it was high in info

has anyone actually received a response from sending an email to [email protected] ? I've sent two emails with questions about sending in updates and have never received a response. :confused:

has anyone actually received a response from sending an email to [email protected] ? I've sent two emails with questions about sending in updates and have never received a response. :confused:

Same issue. You should send your email to Dawn Street. She works in the admissions office and tends to check her email more often.

[email protected]

her name now is Dawn Yargeau. I'm assuming she recently married. Same email address still, though

So it seems that most of you in this thread are hoping to get off of the waitlist. Does anybody know how they go about figuring that out each month? What I mean is, do they evaluate all of the people that they interviewed for that cycle, and then pull people off of the waitlist to fill in any extra spots for that month? Or, do they just throw all the apps into middle, go over all of them, waitlist and newly interviewed, and fill the spots for the month that way?

What other schools are you weighing against Wayne? OSU... ?

and I liked "dissecting detroit" also... it might not look very flashy, but it was high in info

my other acceptance is Jefferson. I also should find out from MCW next week...

...so it's a tough call for me, as much as I want to leave the state, it's hard to turn down the cost/social advantages of wayne.

So it seems that most of you in this thread are hoping to get off of the waitlist. Does anybody know how they go about figuring that out each month? What I mean is, do they evaluate all of the people that they interviewed for that cycle, and then pull people off of the waitlist to fill in any extra spots for that month? Or, do they just throw all the apps into middle, go over all of them, waitlist and newly interviewed, and fill the spots for the month that way?

Y'know, I really have no idea, but I hope the waitlist people are evaluated against the current crop of applicants. I'd hate to think that the waitlisted students from the previous month would only be vying for the leftover allotment of slots for the given month, especially since they interview in groups of MCAT scores. I'd like to think that we currently waitlisted people will be compared against the current group.

Y'know, I really have no idea, but I hope the waitlist people are evaluated against the current crop of applicants. I'd hate to think that the waitlisted students from the previous month would only be vying for the leftover allotment of slots for the given month, especially since they interview in groups of MCAT scores. I'd like to think that we currently waitlisted people will be compared against the current group.

That's why I wonder. On the one hand, I can see why it stinks for those of you on the list, and were I in your position I'd feel the same way as you do. Then on the other hand there's me with my little 28 and I almost wonder if they would just rotate people through the list, like take you off to put me on since the recent interviewed are stacked up against the higher MCAT scores. I always did feel like the way they interview and admit was kind of odd. Life would be so much easier had I just rocked my MCAT!!!!!!+pity+

That's why I wonder...I always did feel like the way they interview and admit was kind of odd. Life would be so much easier had I just rocked my MCAT!!!!!!

Yeah...and I wonder if Studentdoctor.net is making the process easier, or not. ;) On the one hand, it's giving me a ton of valuable information...on the other hand, the information is making me dissect the process, which is, in turn, driving me crazy. :)

February 28th!

It does me good to know that I'm not the only one who's going crazy. Hopefully our agony will end in a few days.

It does me good to know that I'm not the only one who's going crazy. Hopefully our agony will end in a few days.

*Nod*. Currently, Wayne is the only allopathic school at which I have interviewed. I have two DO interviews, but Wayne is currently my preference.

I also wish OHSU and USC would come through with interview invites, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm waiting on 6 or 7 for invites still.

While nervous about the 28th, I've found some good downtown apartments. Would you all commute or live close? I have to commute to Minneapolis every day now, and I hate it.

God willing, I will live in Royal Oak ~10-15 min. away.

Does anyone know until when they interview? I am still praying for an interview from them but I am thinking this late in the game would be for a waitlist or something.

Does anyone know until when they interview? I am still praying for an interview from them but I am thinking this late in the game would be for a waitlist or something.

You're definitely not interviewing for a waitlist, even this late in the game.
They interviewl through April, and offer decisions once a month, with a number of acceptances allotted for each month. Thus, even if you interview in April, you could be accepted by the April decision date without being put on a waitlist.

God willing, I will live in Royal Oak ~10-15 min. away.

I thought about this myself. There are some nice places in Detroit proper, but it would still be nicer/safer to live in Royal Oak. And while it's true that Royal Oak is only about 15 minutes away, I wonder about traffic, especially in snowy weather, and if that could push it to more like an hour away.

I thought about this myself. There are some nice places in Detroit proper, but it would still be nicer/safer to live in Royal Oak. And while it's true that Royal Oak is only about 15 minutes away, I wonder about traffic, especially in snowy weather, and if that could push it to more like an hour away.

yeah... I think I'd like to be in Detroit by the school... the area around the school is not too bad.

forget the snow... consider the fact that the Lodge being closed this summer is diverting more traffic than usual onto 75.

As for me, I want to be as close to school as possible. If I'm in the city, a friend and I are going to try and share a 2 bedroom somewhere nearby. Otherwise, a group of us from my school will likely just rent a 4 or 5 bedroom house somewhere in the suburbs.

They interviewl through April, and offer decisions once a month, with a number of acceptances allotted for each month. Thus, even if you interview in April, you could be accepted by the April decision date without being put on a waitlist.

Thanks for the info.

Glad to hear that! I have an interview on April 2nd and was wondering if I would be put on the waitlist. I am an OOS app so am not to familiar with the area. Did anyone stay with a student from the list when they interviewed? If so, how was it or would you recommend a certain student. I mean someone who you thought really made your experience at the school. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

three days and two hours. (give or take)

Does Wayne send out the acceptances on th same day every month? I interview on March 16 and am wondering if I will find out at the end of March or end of April.

I interview the 23rd of march and was wondering the same thing....