***Official Wayne State Application Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does Wayne send out the acceptances on th same day every month? I interview on March 16 and am wondering if I will find out at the end of March or end of April.

It's every four weeks, on the last Wednesday.
Which means February 28, March 28, and April 25.
If you interview on March 16, you'll definitely find out on March 28.
Of course, "finding out" could mean that you're on the waitlist (like I am.)

I'm not expecting any movement when I call in on February 28. I'm going to assume I'm still on the waitlist and not get too nervous about it all. However, if I happen to get in, I'm going to jump for joy and buy snacks for everyone in my graduate animal physiology class. :)

Members don't see this ad.

countdown in my sig ;)

How about the 23rd? Likely Ill sneak my way into March 28th decisions?

Members don't see this ad :)
How about the 23rd? Likely Ill sneak my way into March 28th decisions?

They'll tell you on your interview day. It's possible. My friend was in a similar situation to you. They meet every Monday. Basically, she interviewed sometime last week, I don't remember exactly what day. Nonetheless, they will be deciding on her tomorrow and she will get decision on Wednesday. I guess it just depends on if they get to your file or not on Monday 26th. Good Luck either way.

Has anyone on the waitlist already filled out their fafsa?

also, what's wayne state's deadline for fafsa?

They recommend it's done before March 1st.

do they require your parents info? I'm 25 and that seems pointless... but I know some schools require it...

do they require your parents info? I'm 25 and that seems pointless... but I know some schools require it...

Read through the financial aid forum if you want all the information you could ever ask for. There is no disadvantage to giving your parental information. In fact, if you don't give parental information you won't be eligible for scholarships or campus based aid from Wayne. So fill it out. Whether you are dependent or independent for tax purposes is irrelevant for the FAFSA.

Read through the financial aid forum if you want all the information you could ever ask for. There is no disadvantage to giving your parental information. In fact, if you don't give parental information you won't be eligible for scholarships or campus based aid from Wayne. So fill it out. Whether you are dependent or independent for tax purposes is irrelevant for the FAFSA.

Or don't include your parents data if you don't want to (I never have) and accept the fact that you are limiting yourself to loans. No campus based aid without parental data. I'm not sure, but you might still be eligable for some of the scholarships even without supplying parental data (but call financial aid and ask them to be sure).

As for the FAFSA, I'm not sure that there's a true 'deadline' since the folks that get in off the alt. list over the summer frequently are filling it out then. I don't think that I have ever submitted my FAFSA earlier than late March to middle of April.
It's just that the later you submit it the less likely you are to get any campus based aid (but if you already gave that up by not including parental data then it's no big deal).

Or don't include your parents data if you don't want to (I never have) and accept the fact that you are limiting yourself to loans. No campus based aid without parental data. I'm not sure, but you might still be eligable for some of the scholarships even without supplying parental data (but call financial aid and ask them to be sure).

As for the FAFSA, I'm not sure that there's a true 'deadline' since the folks that get in off the alt. list over the summer frequently are filling it out then. I don't think that I have ever submitted my FAFSA earlier than late March to middle of April.
It's just that the later you submit it the less likely you are to get any campus based aid (but if you already gave that up by not including parental data then it's no big deal).

Schools will often offer you perkins federal loans at 5% which are even better than Stafford loans. So even if you can't get the scholarships or other aid, it's possible to at least have a part of your cost of attendance in better than stafford loans.

Who is this friend you speak of DocOB :p

HA!!!!!! So that's you. I was wondering. I feel like I'm going to be sick, tomorrow will be the longest day ever. How about you?

Members don't see this ad :)
HA!!!!!! So that's you. I was wondering. I feel like I'm going to be sick, tomorrow will be the longest day ever. How about you?

very long....... UMich-MSU game will be fun tomorrow night though

very long....... UMich-MSU game will be fun tomorrow night though

I despise basketball. I'll be tuning in to Red Wings vs. Blackhawks

Yea, today is going to such a long day...at least tommorrow I have class from 11-1 to distract me until I call...are you going to be in Brooks DocOB when you call??? I may have to come join ya for some support, haha

I will be in the Down Under when I call. You should come join. :thumbup:

Yea, today is going to such a long day...at least tommorrow I have class from 11-1 to distract me until I call...are you going to be in Brooks DocOB when you call??? I may have to come join ya for some support, haha

Brooks? Do you guys go to CMU?

about 24 hours left... try to stay sane... :scared:

What is CMU?

central michigan university... one of the smaller schools (pre-med wise)... about a 1/3 of the students at wayne are from umich, and another 1/3 from wayne st. and michigan state... the directional schools tend to make up about 10% of the class (about 30 kids)

Yes, we go to CMU....do you?

Chippewa alumni :) I graduated in '04 and am headed to med school this fall. Quite possibly to Wayne State, but I havent decided for sure yet..

Good luck tomorrow. I'd like to have some CMU classmates!!

Chippewa alumni :) I graduated in '04 and am headed to med school this fall. Quite possibly to Wayne State, but I havent decided for sure yet..

Good luck tomorrow. I'd like to have some CMU classmates!!

What was your major. Not that I'd know you because at that time I was a confused freshmen who thought he was going to be a mortician after just taking some prereqs at CMU.

Anyway, if all goes to plan, well according to yours, mine, and Broadway's plan, there will be a gang of Chippewa alumni there. A few already accepted. Do any of you think they take where you went to undergrad and how many people they typically take from these places into consideration when making decisions. They're not going to look at mine and say, "whoaaaaa, way too many CMU folk this year, sorry about your luck." Are they?

the directional schools tend to make up about 10% of the class (about 30 kids)

I come from a directional school!
Western Western Western Western Michigan.
(Otherwise known as the University of California, Berkeley.) :)

Although, perhaps, it'd be in my favor to be from the 25% "Other" category as opposed to the 10% directional school category :)

What was your major. Not that I'd know you because at that time I was a confused freshmen who thought he was going to be a mortician after just taking some prereqs at CMU.

Anyway, if all goes to plan, well according to yours, mine, and Broadway's plan, there will be a gang of Chippewa alumni there. A few already accepted. Do any of you think they take where you went to undergrad and how many people they typically take from these places into consideration when making decisions. They're not going to look at mine and say, "whoaaaaa, way too many CMU folk this year, sorry about your luck." Are they?

I was a bio major. How about yourself? I actually applied to med school in 2004 and languished on the wait list at Wayne and another school all summer long. Pure torture. When I didn't get in I entered a Masters program, did some research, and retook the MCAT.

I would hope that they dont worry about how many acceptances come from a particular undergrad, and instead focus on the applicant. I have no idea how it works though. If it makes you feel any better maybe they considered me a Wayne student since that's where I got my Masters!

I was a bio major. How about yourself? I actually applied to med school in 2004 and languished on the wait list at Wayne and another school all summer long. Pure torture. When I didn't get in I entered a Masters program, did some research, and retook the MCAT.

I would hope that they dont worry about how many acceptances come from a particular undergrad, and instead focus on the applicant. I have no idea how it works though. If it makes you feel any better maybe they considered me a Wayne student since that's where I got my Masters!

well if they worried about too many acceptances from one undergrad, UofM students would be in trouble... all but one of my interviewees the day I was there were from UMich.

...so in other words, I wouldnt worry about it.

I am a Biomedical Sciences and Neuroscience double major here at good ole CMU...I am hoping that it won't matter how many people Wayne has already accepted from CMU (I know of at least 2 people already accepted) and 3 or 4 more than have interviewed and are waiting for a decision.

Hopefully we'll have a little CMU group at Wayne next year :)

Is it time to start counting down the seconds yet? :scared:

I am a Biomedical Sciences and Neuroscience double major here at good ole CMU...I am hoping that it won't matter how many people Wayne has already accepted from CMU (I know of at least 2 people already accepted) and 3 or 4 more than have interviewed and are waiting for a decision.

Hopefully we'll have a little CMU group at Wayne next year :)

The more students that are accepted from your school the better it is for you as long as you all have similar GPAs. That way, they know that a good GPA is a good GPA and a bad GPA is a bad GPA so there is less ambiguity.

Anyway, I think that Oakland did very well this year, so we'll see how many end up at Wayne. (My school).

I've never heard Cal Berkeley described that way. Are there a lot of people from Michigan there?

Hahah, no.
The thread just noted that there are some directional Michigan schools that make up the population of Wayne State's SOM. I just called my alma mater that, in order to feign in-state status. ;)

Hahah, no.
The thread just noted that there are some directional Michigan schools that make up the population of Wayne State's SOM. I just called my alma mater that, in order to feign in-state status. ;)

Don't blame you. You can save a truck load of money if you succeed.

Do you still live in Berkeley? Is that incredible Indian place (across from the football stadium) with the Sunday buffet still there?

The more students that are accepted from your school the better it is for you as long as you all have similar GPAs. That way, they know that a good GPA is a good GPA and a bad GPA is a bad GPA so there is less ambiguity.

Anyway, I think that Oakland did very well this year, so we'll see how many end up at Wayne. (My school).

actually, that's probably a good point...

We sent 8 to Wayne last year (from a school of only about 1800 students) though this year it's looking like it'll only be around 4 to 6. Everyone who got an interview so far has been accepted, but MCAT scores were really down this year.

We've got 3 who are pretty much for sure going, one who's 50/50 between wayne and another school (me), 2 who are waiting to hear post-interview from MSU and would go there over WSU, and 2 with 27s who are waiting on interviews.

(yes, my school is small enough that I can know this information)

Do you still live in Berkeley?

No, I graduated a number of years ago, got my graduate degree at a different institution, and have been working in a hospital ever since. Though I wouldn't be surprised if your food options were there, as the dining in Berkeley is quite amazing, from incredible $2 non-chain pizza slices to Chez Panisse, the innovator of California/French-fusion cuisine. :)

i'm sick... someone just tell me what the verdict is

You're not the only one! :( I'm waiting to hear from WSU and MSU tomorrow. This is horrible!

HH, your name and avatar make me hungry.
And yet, I don't think I've had Hamburger Helper, ever, in my entire life.

HH, your name and avatar make me hungry.
And yet, I don't think I've had Hamburger Helper, ever, in my entire life.

hamburger helper is actually delicious as a college student.... just add beef! michigan looks like they'll win... so I'm happy ;) Fuck State! :smuggrin:

bout 16 hours now, almost there, let's do this baby

bout 16 hours now, almost there, let's do this baby

less than 15 hours now... how do you guys feel?

I think I have an acceptance... maybe

i hope i do!
i really want to go to Wayne

less than 15 hours now... how do you guys feel?
I think I have an acceptance... maybe

I feel like I will still be on the waitlist;
Because nothing in this process has come easily. :(

i go from thinking i'm accepted with a full ride... to straight reject... I hate this....

Thing is, I think all of us are in... waitlist or not, we are all early

i want to go to bed.... fawk... it'll be rough tonight, though