**** Official Western University Acceptance Thread c/o 2014****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
December 2nd was my interview day.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's great to see more acceptances for those who have been waiting patiently! Congrats. We are going to have a great class. Out of all of my interviews, Western was the friendliest. All of the dental students were excited to see us and gave us a warm welcome. For those still waiting to hear back, let me know if you have any questions regarding upcoming interviews.

I got my acceptance this week and want to give a shout out to all my fellow classmates! Its been a long road for me (3rd year applying) but it finally happened! I also just found out I was selected for the Navy HPSP. It's been a good week!:)

Any fellow military out there?

Congrats to those who have been accepted thus far and to those still waiting...DON'T GIVE UP! If this is what you really want don't stop now, even if it takes another year! (or 2 in my case!)

I got my acceptance this week and want to give a shout out to all my fellow classmates! Its been a long road for me (3rd year applying) but it finally happened! I also just found out I was selected for the Navy HPSP. It's been a good week!:)

Congrats to those who have been accepted thus far and to those still waiting...DON'T GIVE UP! If this is what you really want don't stop now, even if it takes another year! (or 2 in my case!)

I am active military and am also applying for HPSP/HPCP. Don't know if the Navy will take me...medical reasons. Ascession criteria is different than retention criteria IRT physical status. Applying for a waiver. I shadow with Navy dentists...they all seem to love their job.

I have a couple more interviews in the next week and a half, so I won't send in my deposit for a while, although Western is VERY high on my list...I just have to see what other options are out there.

'Grats on the scholarship, I hear they are drying up fast...only like 40 this year for aspiring D1s I think.

Hey TSR, when did you get your call? I am still hoping the committee will call me :(

Hey TSR, when did you get your call? I am still hoping the committee will call me :(

I didn't get a phone call this week, but got a letter in the mail today, offering me a spot. I thought it was just a really thick rejection letter..

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't get a phone call this week, but got a letter in the mail today, offering me a spot. I thought it was just a really thick rejection letter..
Congrats! What a pleasant surprise! Are you accepting it?

Congrats! What a pleasant surprise! Are you accepting it?

Thank you. I also got a call from UW yesterday, too. I'm accepting there, and I'm declining Western.

I feel for all of you playing the waiting game. I wish you all the best of luck.

hey future classmates -

where are you guys all thinking of living?

hey future classmates -

where are you guys all thinking of living?

That's a great question, I want to know if you current dental students have any advice on where to live? Of course I prefer a safe neighborhood that is close to school for my family. I don't know what I could get for $1100 or less. I definitely want at least a 2BR. I did some cruising around after the interview and really liked Claremont, La Verne, San Dimas and Chino Hills. I know Pomona is kind of iffy in some parts, unless you guys know some good spots. Thanks

That's a great question, I want to know if you current dental students have any advice on where to live? Of course I prefer a safe neighborhood that is close to school for my family. I don't know what I could get for $1100 or less. I definitely want at least a 2BR. I did some cruising around after the interview and really liked Claremont, La Verne, San Dimas and Chino Hills. I know Pomona is kind of iffy in some parts, unless you guys know some good spots. Thanks

Broadstone Foothills in Upland is really nice - and it's gated. College Park and Rancho Monte Vista are good too (also in the Upland/Claremont area). There are some nice apartments in Rancho Cucamonga too. Chino Hills is going to be pricey for the most part. All of these cities are within a 10-20 min drive from school. I would not live in Pomona if you can help it.

Im thinking about possibly living in claremont! Im going to wait until the second deposits are in to start looking for a roommate.

Broadstone Foothills in Upland is really nice - and it's gated. College Park and Rancho Monte Vista are good too (also in the Upland/Claremont area). There are some nice apartments in Rancho Cucamonga too. Chino Hills is going to be pricey for the most part. All of these cities are within a 10-20 min drive from school. I would not live in Pomona if you can help it.

Thanks for the info!

i heard we need to collect teeth for schools. do we need to start doing that for western?

i heard we need to collect teeth for schools. do we need to start doing that for western?

We have used synthetic teeth designed for our typodonts so far and I have not heard anything about switching to real teeth. So as far as I know you don't need to collect any for the first year.

For the 1st yr students, how do you guys like the new dental clinics? I heard everything is digitalized like X-ray, cerac etc, is that true?

Anyone know how full the class is at this point?

The day was like 6.5 hours long I think. The interview was 30 minutes, though some interviews went shorter...if it goes short, don't freak.

The school is awesome, so enjoy yourself. We got lunch, but no breakfast. Make sure you dress very nice...don't get the JC Penney or Kohls suit and shirt, go to a real clothier. It may be too late for that though. $500 for a suit that puts you above the rest is worth it in the long run.

Again, the school is great so enjoy it and relax. They don't want to break you like some schools may try to do, they just want to make sure you fit with the mission of the school and have a personality.

Best of luck!

So why do you need an expensive suit to interview? are the interviewers that impeccably dressed? I have suit thats a few years old and was planning on wearing that, is that not a good idea?

Sorry that really just touched a nerve. So rich kids who can afford a $500 suit have a clear advantage over everyone else? How old are you, where do you live again? You'd think in this day and age, this kind of ignorant thinking would no longer be present. It scares me to think that a person who thinks this way is going to be a dentist. Not everyone has money at their disposal for these kind of luxuries and for you to suggest that these people are at a disadvantage because of this is plain WRONG.

Army, don't listen to what that he/she said. A school is not going to judge you by how expensive your suit is...if they are would you really want to go there? Any suit is fine, carry yourself professionally and you'll be fine! The people at Western could care less what you wear, they are more interested in you as a person!

Last edited:
So why do you need an expensive suit to interview? are the interviewers that impeccably dressed? I have suit thats a few years old and was planning on wearing that, is that not a good idea?

Don't sweat over the suit. I got mine from JC Penny a few years back and it was on clearance. It's all about how you carry yourself more than what you're wearing.

The Phillips Ranch area of Pomona is really nice. It has walking trails, lots of greenery, and serene. It is about 10 minutes to Western University.

Sorry that really just touched a nerve. So rich kids who can afford a $500 suit have a clear advantage over everyone else? How old are you, where do you live again? You'd think in this day and age, this kind of ignorant thinking would no longer be present. It scares me to think that a person who thinks this way is going to be a dentist. Not everyone has money at their disposal for these kind of luxuries and for you to suggest that these people are at a disadvantage because of this is plain WRONG.

Army, don't listen to what that he/she said. A school is not going to judge you by how expensive your suit is...if they are would you really want to go there? Any suit is fine, carry yourself professionally and you'll be fine! The people at Western could care less what you wear, they are more interested in you as a person!

First of all, let me start by apologizing to anyone I offended with my comment. I didn’t mean to offend anyone; I was just stating what I thought helped me with my interview. After re-reading it, it did come off as snobbish, which is not what I intended. That being said I have a suit from Penny’s that fits me like a box…I look horrible in it, and they weren’t able to tailor it to fit my body like it should fit, but I needed a suit a few years back and that’s all I could afford! That’s why I recommended going to a clothier and getting a suit from someone who actually spends time with you to tailor it just right (because from my Penny’s experience they could not and would not do it). So, I am sorry for not stating that previously.

As far as your inquiries into my age and location go, I’m almost 30 and you can look to the left for my location. The rich kid comment is untrue. I haven’t had a thing handed to me in life. My parents haven’t given me a thing to help get me through college. I worked a 40+ hour a week job the entire time I went to school while supporting my wife and baby.

I’m not going to respond to the rest of your post because it will get us no where.

Army, sorry if I gave you the wrong impression and best of luck to you in your interview.

First of all, let me start by apologizing to anyone I offended with my comment. I didn’t mean to offend anyone; I was just stating what I thought helped me with my interview. After re-reading it, it did come off as snobbish, which is not what I intended. That being said I have a suit from Penny’s that fits me like a box…I look horrible in it, and they weren’t able to tailor it to fit my body like it should fit, but I needed a suit a few years back and that’s all I could afford! That’s why I recommended going to a clothier and getting a suit from someone who actually spends time with you to tailor it just right (because from my Penny’s experience they could not and would not do it). So, I am sorry for not stating that previously.

As far as your inquiries into my age and location go, I’m almost 30 and you can look to the left for my location. The rich kid comment is untrue. I haven’t had a thing handed to me in life. My parents haven’t given me a thing to help get me through college. I worked a 40+ hour a week job the entire time I went to school while supporting my wife and baby.

I’m not going to respond to the rest of your post because it will get us no where.

Army, sorry if I gave you the wrong impression and best of luck to you in your interview.

Reading back on my post, I apologize for my rudeness, i probably read into the post too much and reacted instinctively. Many of the comments were uncalled for.

Its admirable that you were able to accomplish what you have. Getting through school, working full time and supporting a family is quite amazing. In addition you were able to get into dental school which is a whole other challenge on its own.

Good luck in dental school and the rest of your life!

JustWU: Please re-read what you wrote, your words are harsh!

No you didn't give me a bad impression I was just wondering what you meant, thanks for clarifying. I think its more about feeling confident and if your cloths fit right and look nice, regardless of price, it will help your confidence. Again if anyone else has any advice I would love to hear it.

One of the current students at Western didn't even wear a suit coat to his interview. He was accepted Dec 1st as well!

We have used synthetic teeth designed for our typodonts so far and I have not heard anything about switching to real teeth. So as far as I know you don't need to collect any for the first year.

Scratch that. They just decided they want us to practice on real teeth too. I'm not sure if you will need them 1st semester next year or 2nd, but it wouldn't hurt to start collecting. 10% bleach solution storage, no amalgam fillings, not too many 3rd molars.

How is the new HEC building? Is the patient care center almost finished also?

For those who got accepted on 1/25, did any of you send in your deposit and hear back from them or see that it was received by them? I sent mine in a week ago and was wondering how long it'll take cause I don't want to lose my spot over something little like this ;)

I also sent my deposit in a week ago but haven't heard anything. I read some threads earlier today from the people got accepted Dec.1 and it took the school about a month to cash the checks so I wouldn't worry about it.

yeah i read that too but i figured it took them longer because of the holidays. i think i'll call on monday juuuuust in case ;)

For those who have been accepted into Western u go join the facebook group CDM 2014 and start networking. ALso check out westernuforum.com, its in the works, but will connect you with the other nine colleges at western.

I sent my deposit in last week as well, but haven't heard anything yet. I'm going to wait til Wednesday of this week and if i still don't hear anything I'm gonna call to make sure they have my check. I wouldn't wanna lose my spot over something like this either.

JustWU, it's all good, no sweat...thanks again.

is the deposit confirmation just an email? and is there extra info included in it? i'm still waiting on mine.

i got mine via email conformation, also called hazell to make sure everything was good to go , Now we have to pay second grand by april. do you all know what laptops ur gonna go with?

do you all know what laptops ur gonna go with?

I was going to throw this question out there...any ideas? I wan't a decent brand and all I can come up with is HP. On the form we got, it says they won't support Mac's, not that I would go with one anyway...I'm not up for the learning curve, we'll have enough to learn already!

I bought a Mac last year that I will be using. I just put Windows 7 on it using Parallels and it is sweet!

Spud, is it that good? I have been a Windows guy my whole life...how much did the Windows 7 in parallels cost to set up?

ugggg it would be nice to have a Mac (fewer hang ups/problems) but I just don't know if I can go to the dark side! ;)

The most important question is do they work with the droid? I guess the Windows side would eh?

What can we expect to spend on a Mac?

I sent in my deposit last week, still haven't heard anything from Western. My check has not been cashed yet. anyone in the same situation?

I sent in my deposit during the first week of February. I checked my account online and it shows that the check has been cashed, but I haven't received the confirmation email yet. Do they sent it to your Western email or your personal one listed on your application?