**** Official Western University Acceptance Thread c/o 2014****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone get a scholarship from Western?

Members don't see this ad.

they sent my confo to western email about 3 weeks after i sent it in. they are super slow about it , i think the guy that handels the deposits does so for the whole school not just CDM.

Spud, is it that good? I have been a Windows guy my whole life...how much did the Windows 7 in parallels cost to set up?

ugggg it would be nice to have a Mac (fewer hang ups/problems) but I just don't know if I can go to the dark side! ;)

The most important question is do they work with the droid? I guess the Windows side would eh?

What can we expect to spend on a Mac?

I am by no means a computer guru but I remember being afraid to switch to a Mac last year but in a couple of days I knew how to work my Mac just as well as my old PC. I spent $1100 on my Mac through my school's discount and I bought Parallels for $60 and Windows 7 off of ebay (I know it is sketchy) for $105 which was a huge savings from my $180 my school was selling windows 7 for. I love the versatility of the Mac. The biggest plus about it is I have no problems with it, it is super fast, and the mouse/track pad is awesome. I put microsoft office on it when I first got it and it works great. As for the Windows portion, it is awesome! I am really impressed with improvements Windows has made on it's 7 version. It runs very smoothly on my computer and set up was a snap. You have a ton of different options on how to run windows through Parallels which makes it nice and you don't have to reboot it when you want to switch from Mac OS to Windows. Anyways, I love my Mac but I have nothing against PC's. If you are worried about a learning curve, don't because you will pick it up in a couple of hours. And Driod will work if you have Windows installed through Parallels. PM if you have any other questions.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I also haven't gotten an email confirmation that they have my deposit yet, but I called a couple of days ago and told me they had it. I think I sent it in around 3 weeks ago. Also, I haven't been contacted about receiving a scholarship so I doubt I got one.

Well I mailed mine on the 5th, called last week and they said the school received it. But I know it hasn't been cashed yet and I haven't received a confirmation email. So I decided to call today but haven't been able to reach anyone so far. I know they said they received it but I'm still slightly anxious cause the deadline is tomorrow and I'd love to receive actual confirmation. :)

Spud, thanks for the input man. I will hopefully get the chance to look into it soon.

Does anyone have any recommendations for websites that have good deals? I periodically check www.slickdeals.net and www.woot.com (mostly refurb stuff there) for deals.

Thanks in advance.

I sent my deposit to Western on Feb 2nd and my online account shows that they cashed the check, but I still haven't gotten a confirmation email. Anyone in the same boat? To those who got the confirmation email, when did you mail your deposits?

Hey do any of you current students know where I can access your academic calendar? I logged into the westeru.edu email and I only saw a calendar for the vet program and a few other misc things. I wanted to see when your summer break starts and how your classes are spread out throughout the week. Thanks

Have you guys sent in your 2nd deposit yet? I just sent mine in...I know it's not due for a while, but I'm going there for sure and I might as well do something good with my tax return...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the link Just Peachy. I will send my second deposit in sometime this week. I am getting anxious to start school but in a good way. Since January 25 I have slept better than I have in two years!

hey guys! just checked my WesternU email and saw that I received the confirmation email as well as my BanWeb info yesterday! So if you haven't gotten it yet, it's probably going to be sent soon. Oh and Just Peachy, thanks for the calendar :)

Keep trying, it took me a number of times to get it right and I have heard other people with the same complaint. If I remember correctly there was an "!" at the end or something funny like that?!?

Congrats to all the folks that have received acceptances lately!

Hey everyone I just got the acceptance call from Western! I cant wait to start this fall and meet all of you! Thanks everyone who gave me advice for the interview it really paid off!

Hey everyone I just got the acceptance call from Western! I cant wait to start this fall and meet all of you! Thanks everyone who gave me advice for the interview it really paid off!

SOOO happy for you!!! Congrats and enjoy the moment! :thumbup:

Such a relief huh? The worst of it is over. It is the greatest feeling Make sure you celebrate. Before you know it we will all be sitting in the sim clinic together.

It's so crazy to think...after 6 years of pursuing an undergrad degree and shadowing and all that stuff, and apply multiple times, it's actually going to happen! Sim lab looks so good right now! It's not going to be easy, but it's so going to be worth it!

Hey Everyone! We need to create a Facebook page for all of us- Class of 2014!! (So everyone join :)) I need to start thinking about housing, and I think this will be a great method of communication for us. Congratulations to those who are just getting their acceptances, reading through this thread reminded me how excited I am!

Hey ArmyPreDent congrats!! when did you interview? I interviewed last friday- feb 26th and am restless waiting to see when they will respond.
..:scared:

Hey ArmyPreDent congrats!! when did you interview? I interviewed last friday- feb 26th and am restless waiting to see when they will respond.
..:scared:

I think he interviewed on Feb 24th. Im in the same boat as you...

Does anyone plan to take the Summer Medical Sciences Prep Program (SMSPP) that Western offers this summer? It's a five-week program from 6/21-7/23 and the cost is $550. For those who have taken it last year, do you recommend taking it? Thanks!

I remember it being highly recommended by all those who took it last year. They said that it helped ease them into dental school and that the people who took the program did really good in their classes their first semester of d-school. I think it would be cool but I have a big vacation planned!

Did anyone else interview on November 2nd? Let me know!

hey guys! just checked my WesternU email and saw that I received the confirmation email as well as my BanWeb info yesterday! So if you haven't gotten it yet, it's probably going to be sent soon. Oh and Just Peachy, thanks for the calendar :)

hmmm I only received an email about BanWeb info. Is the confirmation email a separate email? JUUUUUST want to be sure ;)

It says the Western IT will not support Macs in the premat. checklist website. Can we get around it by using bootcamp and adding windows etc?

Yeah I have heard it is ok from some current students. I would personally recommend getting Parallels and running windows from it. I paid $70 for the program but it is sweet. I heard it runs windows faster and smoother than boot camp and is more stable. The deciding factor to drop the $70 was that you didn't have to restart your computer switching from Mac OS to Windows like you would using bootcamp. Hope that helps.

Man Spud, every time you talk about your mac, it makes me want to get one! I looked at them at best buy today and I have no idea what I am looking at. There are mac books and mac book pros...what's the difference? What do you have?

I already have an external hardrive for my pc, do you know if it would work with a mac?

LNinlove, the big difference between the macbook and macbook pro is the processor. I have the 13.3" 2 Ghz processor but pro has a 2.26 Ghz processor so it runs faster and has an sd slot which would be cool to have. They both have a 160 gig hard drive. I paid $1100 for mine so I saved about $400 from getting a pro. I'm not a gamer or anything but I use the mac for note-taking at school, completing assignments, editing home videos and cruising the internet and I haven't noticed anything slow or lacking from the smaller processor. I honestly couldn't be happier with my computer, but I suppose if my budget would have been bigger I would have got the pro just because the sd card slot would have been nice (i have a usb card reader so its not a big deal). Yes, your external hard drive will work with the Mac. Hope this helps, I remember going through what you are going through. I was nervous to switch from a pc and I didn't know the difference between computers and macs were so expensive. Let me just say this, I have never regretted getting a mac and probably won't switch back to a pc. (nothing agains pc's I still like them but the mac has so many little things that make it better.)

Who wants to take the SMSPP course? Does anyone want to share a room for that five weeks before Dental School actually begins? I was thinking it might be a good idea to rent a room for that five weeks while we get to know Pomona better and find a better place to rent for the four years of dental school. What do you guys think?

anyone still having probs logging into their BanWeb accounts?

They cashed my second check...not as exciting as the first one, but things are moving forward!

Anyone getting nervous yet?

Come on...this fell to the 5th page! Is there anything going on with anyone?

So the second deposit was due last week...anyone know if any seats opened up? Or did anyone reading this not pay your second deposit?

Who wants to take the SMSPP course? Does anyone want to share a room for that five weeks before Dental School actually begins? I was thinking it might be a good idea to rent a room for that five weeks while we get to know Pomona better and find a better place to rent for the four years of dental school. What do you guys think?

I am taking the SMSPP and I will be staying at a 2 bedroom townhouse approx. 2-3 miles from the school in Pomona (San Bernardino ave & Indian Hill. the 2nd bedroom might be available for rent...let me know if you are interested...or anyone else...

hey colnago, do you know how much the rent plus utilities is? I got an email from western telling me they didnt get my deposit even though i mailed it 2 days before the deadline. hopefully its just a case of it not showing up from the mailroom. i'll have to call them tomorrow, slightly freaking out:scared:

Does anyone know if/when summer break would be in 2011?