Oh Crapola

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DoctorDoogie4

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey folks,

Just need some advice. After submitting my applications, I went back to check on the status of the programs that I have not heard back from. Unfortunately, I checked my document tracker and found that my personal statement for internal medicine went to 3 of the EM programs I applied to. Of these three, there are 2 which I highly considered. I applied to some Internal Medicine programs as backups. I don't know what to do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks 😳 😳
 
i'm sorry, that sounds terrible! do you think that you accidentally selected the wrong statements or was it a system error?? if it was the online software's fault i'd be so mad!
 
Hey folks,

Just need some advice. After submitting my applications, I went back to check on the status of the programs that I have not heard back from. Unfortunately, I checked my document tracker and found that my personal statement for internal medicine went to 3 of the EM programs I applied to. Of these three, there are 2 which I highly considered. I applied to some Internal Medicine programs as backups. I don't know what to do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks 😳 😳

You might be able to "stretch" the truth and say that the IM statement they received was actually for prelim programs (in case you match a PGY2-4)...and those programs received it by accident. Otherwise...I think you are...um...something...that...uh, is bad and does not involve the use of KY.

good luck! everyone keeps saying 4th year is great...but, I think I'm getting an ulcer.😳
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You might be able to "stretch" the truth and say that the IM statement they received was actually for prelim programs (in case you match a PGY2-4)...and those programs received it by accident. Otherwise...I think you are...um...something...that...uh, is bad and does not involve the use of KY.

good luck! everyone keeps saying 4th year is great...but, I think I'm getting an ulcer.😳

Yeah, I thought of the prelim excuse, too, but since it is a prelim, they wouldn't expect you to say you wanted to go into IM. I remember a meeting held with a PD for those interested in EM, and he was saying that the first pass is easy- get rid of the people with horrible grades and those whose personal statement speaks of "always wanting to go into ortho". So you've got problems. The best you can do is innocently call to check on your status and show real interest, being honest if questioned. At least with an IM backup, you could potentially escape to EM after a year so it's not necessarily "giving up"
 
Honesty might be your best answer. Tell them you applied to a few IM programs as backup in case you didn't match into EM. Can't guarantee it will work, but lies only generate more lies.

i retract my statement...

:::sheepishly looking at my feet::::
 
Hey folks,

Just need some advice. After submitting my applications, I went back to check on the status of the programs that I have not heard back from. Unfortunately, I checked my document tracker and found that my personal statement for internal medicine went to 3 of the EM programs I applied to. Of these three, there are 2 which I highly considered. I applied to some Internal Medicine programs as backups. I don't know what to do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks 😳 😳

Learn to like rounding....👎
 
It's entirely possible that your application hasn't even been downloaded yet, or that it hasn't been seen by the PD yet. I'd call the program coordinator (basically a secretary) and tell her the mistake and see if you can resend your EM statement and throw out the old one. The PD doesn't ever have to know.

I certainly wouldn't lie about it if they confront you, but it takes a while for the app to get to the PD, so you might be able to intercept it before then.
 
It's entirely possible that your application hasn't even been downloaded yet, or that it hasn't been seen by the PD yet. I'd call the program coordinator (basically a secretary) and tell her the mistake and see if you can resend your EM statement and throw out the old one. The PD doesn't ever have to know.

I certainly wouldn't lie about it if they confront you, but it takes a while for the app to get to the PD, so you might be able to intercept it before then.

that's a good point...was it downloaded (on your application tracker thingy?) or does it just look like you sent it to them? if they didn't download it you just have to unclick the IM statement...
 
Totally sucks. I agree with the above on advice. I just wanted to add that, although I know 2 were high on your list, they are in reality only 3 programs to be scratched off your list if the above doesn't work. I presume you applied to more than 3 programs in which case it is not the biggest deal in the world. You could have mistakenly sent it to all the programs. Not the end of the world. 😳
 
You should go back into ERAS and deselect (uncheck the box) next to the IM personal statement and check the correct PS you meant to send. I realized that I had a format problem with my first PS a week or so after sending it and did this. Within a day or two almost every single program I applied to had updated and downloaded the new PS. According to the ERAS FAQ the old PS should be overwritten when they do so, however, it will list 2 PS's as downloaded. Have no fear. Good luck.
 
the important point about this is that programs with a nov 1 deadline will not download new info after this date and may not get the updates. do it.