Ohio c/o 2016 Applicants

Started by NStarz
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone! Hope you all are well and the waiting isn't too torturous!

I just wanted to clarify something that came up today. We got a call in Student Affairs from someone who said they heard on SDN that Ohio State does not do interviews. This is absolutely 100% not true. I don't know if this year's early acceptances after the early interviews gave someone that impression, but everyone who has been accepted has absolutely been interviewed.

So, for the record, Ohio State interviews every applicant that they are interested in admitting after the initial screening of GPA, GRE, etc., and every applicant that is accepted has been interviewed.

Hope this clears that up! 🙂

EllieGirl89 My friend is at OSU and said she over heard admissions saying this was the last week for invites, do you know if this is true? thanks! I hope this doesn't start a panic... 😳
 
EllieGirl89 My friend is at OSU and said she over heard admissions saying this was the last week for invites, do you know if this is true? thanks! I hope this doesn't start a panic... 😳

Honestly, I don't know. Sending out interview invites is not in my job description 😛 Give Student Affairs a call on Monday between 8a and 5p and they might have some info for you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering how many applicants are interviewed.

EDIT: I finally found it on their website.
 
Last edited:
This is good info to have! I can't get over how many tongue-related "Unique Characteristics" there are, though. 😕

Yeah, the unique characteristics were a little strange for last years admitted class. Honestly, when I read them my first thought was "OMG, I didn't mention anything like this in my application. I hope they still let me in even though I didn't tell them any of the strange stuff that I can do." And then I immediately started to think about how I can work some of my uniqueness into my interview.

If you can't tell, I am freaking about the interview that I have in a little over 2 weeks!
 
LOL! Relax....I doubt blurting out "I can make REALLY loud fart noises with my armpit!" in your interview will impress the adcom. 🙂 Just be yourself!
 
The interview process really wasn't as bad as I had thought it would be. I prepared looking over previous questions and trying to find current events and zoonotics and stuff. Turned out we talked about wildlife rehab for most of it and then some random school questions and stuff. So, just be ready to chat about what you have in your file and I think you should be fine. It really does go by quick and isn't that bad.
 
LOL! Relax....I doubt blurting out "I can make REALLY loud fart noises with my armpit!" in your interview will impress the adcom. 🙂 Just be yourself!
Yeah, I was kind of thinking the same thing. Lol. I am pretty sure that they would all be thinking "denied" as soon as I said something like that. But the closer that the interview gets, the more I think of ways that I can screw this up.

As far as preparing, I am going to just try to be myself. At Ohio State on November 28th, there is a vet school interview workshop so I will be attending that. It is pretty much two members of the adcom telling interviewees how to be properly dressed, how to handle themselves throughout the process, mock interviews, etc.

I am going to do a lot of research on current events. I know about 5 or 6 of them, but I am not sure if I can go into elaborate detail on any of them. So that worries me a bit. I have a day off between my last final exam and my interview, so I am going to spend that day relaxing and trying to convince myself that I will do alright and get accepted. Hopefully that will help me to be confident and relaxed in my interview (We will see how that goes).
 
Yeah, the unique characteristics were a little strange for last years admitted class. Honestly, when I read them my first thought was "OMG, I didn't mention anything like this in my application. I hope they still let me in even though I didn't tell them any of the strange stuff that I can do." And then I immediately started to think about how I can work some of my uniqueness into my interview.

If you can't tell, I am freaking about the interview that I have in a little over 2 weeks!


Hey everyone, I'm a first-year at OSU and they asked the incoming class about their unique charcteristics in an online survey during orientation...so don't worry about not having some odd talent. Honestly, I couldn't think of anything to list for myself on the question of the survey.

I met a few of you during the Nov. interview weekend...I was on the student panel and gave tours. When preparing for the interview last year, I tried look at it as a conversation between me and two people who are just as passionate about veterinary medicine as I am. Good luck! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all, it's my first post! I've been lurking for a bit (sincerest apologies), but I finally decided to grow a pair and sign up for SDN and meet all of you wonderful people - sorry to introduce myself on this thread (just a quick FYI - non-traditional student who returned to school after working at a vet tech for a year... finally after 3 1/2 years [already have a BS and MS], applying for the first time.)

OSU is one of my top choices; how soon after your interview do you hear about acceptance, denials, waitlists information?? Anyone else going on the 15th? My mother and I are taking a 3 day road trip out there - should be interesting needless to say haha 🙂
 
Welcome Oxyjen! The information packet that I received at the early interview said that decisions will be made and people notified between December 20th and January 6th. A few people do get notified quickly, but for the most part, that is the general guideline.
 
Just an FYI to those of you still waiting - I went ahead and emailed asked if they were done sending out invites - they said they were still in the process of reviewing applications - what that means I'm not 100% but guess it's not a flat out we're done.
 
Thank you squirrelsrule! 🙂

Welcome Oxyjen! The information packet that I received at the early interview said that decisions will be made and people notified between December 20th and January 6th. A few people do get notified quickly, but for the most part, that is the general guideline.
 
Hey does anyone know if there is a special promo code or something we are supposed to give to the hotels that Ohio suggested to stay at for interviewees? My interview is on December 16th and I called the Blackwell hotel two days ago and they said the price was $115 per night for interviewees and then I called back the next day to make a reservation and the price was $154 per night standard for the university and said I would need a special code for the lower price. It would definitely be nice to save the money since i'll be staying for two nights. Can't wait to check out the school and have my first interview! I've only heard great things so far about the whole experience.
 
The interview process really wasn't as bad as I had thought it would be. I prepared looking over previous questions and trying to find current events and zoonotics and stuff.

Hi squirrelsrule, I was wondering...could you share where you found the "previous questions." I have been searching on how to get a general idea of what questions they would ask but have been unsuccessful so far...😕
 
Hi squirrelsrule, I was wondering...could you share where you found the "previous questions." I have been searching on how to get a general idea of what questions they would ask but have been unsuccessful so far...😕

I know this wasn't directed towards me, but...
up at the top, go to reference materials then interview feedback. you can select veterinary and then pick out of the list of veterinary schools. then go to survey results, and they should come up. hope this helps! To be honest, I wouldn't freak out too much about practicing the answers to these a million times unless you really feel like you need to. I know i met a few people at my interviews that seemed like they had done that, but they didn't act like it helped them too much...A lot of times they do vary it a little, so to me, it helps to go through them and think of general answers but it really is a conversation so you probably won't recite some practiced answer word for word on the actual day-just kind of have a general starting point and idea of where you want to go with your answer. 🙂
 
No problem justcallm3jo. We're all just trying to get through this and hopefully be in the class of 2016. Being competitive and rude isn't gonna help anyone! I have found everyone here to be super supportive and friendly, just trying to do my part to help out my fellow hopeful 2016ers.
 
Hey guys!

Is anyone else going to be interviewing on December 14th, is staying at the Holiday Inn Express, and wants to split a shuttle from the airport? If we get four people, we all pay 10 dollars rather than 20 (or 38 if we were to take a cab).

My flight lands around 2 pm on the 13th, but I'd be willing to wait around for a bit!

:soexcited:
 
Hey guys!

Is anyone else going to be interviewing on December 14th, is staying at the Holiday Inn Express, and wants to split a shuttle from the airport? If we get four people, we all pay 10 dollars rather than 20 (or 38 if we were to take a cab).

My flight lands around 2 pm on the 13th, but I'd be willing to wait around for a bit!

:soexcited:

Your plans are the same as mine, even the flight landing time, except I'm staying at the Varsity Inn. It looks like it's just down the street. If that'll work, I'd be down to split the cost! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, it's officially the LAST day of November. I'm wondering if we don't get an interview today, are we out of the running? What a day to come down with a cold.
 
Well, it's officially the LAST day of November. I'm wondering if we don't get an interview today, are we out of the running? What a day to come down with a cold.

TigerWillow I am not really sure how things work, but I remember seeing in last year's thread that a few people did get interview invites in early December. So, keep your hopes up and stay positive. My fingers are crossed for everyone who has yet to recieve an invite.:xf:
 
TigerWillow I am not really sure how things work, but I remember seeing in last year's thread that a few people did get interview invites in early December. So, keep your hopes up and stay positive. My fingers are crossed for everyone who has yet to recieve an invite.:xf:

Aw thanks!!!! I really do hope I get am interview but if not, gl to you all!
 
Your plans are the same as mine, even the flight landing time, except I'm staying at the Varsity Inn. It looks like it's just down the street. If that'll work, I'd be down to split the cost! 🙂

I will look into it a little more and get back to you!
 
This is my first interview and I'm still not 100% clear on what to wear both days. The email says that dinner is "business casual" and then wear a full suit for the interview and all of the events that day? Any advice from more experienced interviewers?
 
Well, I wore Khakis and a button up collared shirt for the dinner. Then full suit for all the next day's activities. I think some people wore a change of shoes for the tour and stuff, too.
 
This is my first interview and I'm still not 100% clear on what to wear both days. The email says that dinner is "business casual" and then wear a full suit for the interview and all of the events that day? Any advice from more experienced interviewers?
On Monday, Ohio State held an interview workshop. There were two members of the admissions committee present and they both said to wear a suit for the interview.
For guys: slacks, shirt and tie, and jacket
For girls: business suit, nice undershirt that does not show cleavage, wear dress shoes but try not to have a heel that is too high (not because they are going to dock you for having heels too high, but most likely you will be uncomfortable and might have trouble walking up the stairs to the interview).

For the dinner the night before they suggested dress slacks or khakis with an appropriate shirt. (Guys button down dress shirt, girls a dressy shirt).

Hope this helps!
 
I think some people wore a change of shoes for the tour and stuff, too.

What's the consensus on wearing a full suit with sneakers for the tour stuff? My flats are relatively comfortable, but as a runner, I have a certain comfort level with sneakers.
 
What's everyone's opinions on mentioning BSL at the Ohio interview? I am very anti-BSL, have done some work on it that I mentioned in my application, and, when asked about current veterinary events, that would probably be one of my ones to mention. I don't want to ruffle any feathers, however (since BSL is alive and living in Ohio). I know the AVMA opposes BSL, and I'm assuming the Ohio chapter does as well. If I can do it tactfully, do you think it's okay to mention? Or should I stay away from it?

Thanks 😀
 
What's everyone's opinions on mentioning BSL at the Ohio interview? I am very anti-BSL, have done some work on it that I mentioned in my application, and, when asked about current veterinary events, that would probably be one of my ones to mention. I don't want to ruffle any feathers, however (since BSL is alive and living in Ohio). I know the AVMA opposes BSL, and I'm assuming the Ohio chapter does as well. If I can do it tactfully, do you think it's okay to mention? Or should I stay away from it?

Thanks 😀
If it is something that you are comfortable with and know a lot about, then I would go for it. You can work it in as a current event as long as you can back it up. When talking to the some members of the adcom here at Ohio State (my professor for 2 of my classes this quarter is a member of the adcom and does interviews) they say they don't care what your answer is! They want to know how you handle the situation, are you knowledgable, are confident, and are you trying to bs them. So as long as you are comfortable mentioning that, can bring the veterinary side into it, and are confident in your answer you should be fine.
 
If it is something that you are comfortable with and know a lot about, then I would go for it. You can work it in as a current event as long as you can back it up. When talking to the some members of the adcom here at Ohio State (my professor for 2 of my classes this quarter is a member of the adcom and does interviews) they say they don't care what your answer is! They want to know how you handle the situation, are you knowledgable, are confident, and are you trying to bs them. So as long as you are comfortable mentioning that, can bring the veterinary side into it, and are confident in your answer you should be fine.

Marino, do you mind sharing any other general things like this you learned in the workshop? Being OOS, I couldn't go, and I'm just panicking a bit that I won't be prepared. Totally understand if not; I'm just in the midst of getting everything together and would appreciate some food for thought...🙄
 
Marino, do you mind sharing any other general things like this you learned in the workshop? Being OOS, I couldn't go, and I'm just panicking a bit that I won't be prepared. Totally understand if not; I'm just in the midst of getting everything together and would appreciate some food for thought...
I was going to post the notes that I took at the workshop, but then I realized that my notes were more of basic things. I already posted everything that they said about how to dress. The rest of the workshop was a long lecture about how the one man hates quitters and failures. So he tries to "read" your interview to determine if you are committed to the profession and to the committments of vet school. Other than that, I just have notes that look like this:
Have confidence
Shake hand
Be attentive when they call your name (make sure you can hear who they call)

Sorry, if that is not helpful, They did not go over any specific questions that may come up in the interview. For this info, I would go to last years thread where EllieGirl posted her notes from the workshop. They did go over questions last year.
 
I was going to post the notes that I took at the workshop, but then I realized that my notes were more of basic things. I already posted everything that they said about how to dress. The rest of the workshop was a long lecture about how the one man hates quitters and failures. So he tries to "read" your interview to determine if you are committed to the profession and to the committments of vet school. Other than that, I just have notes that look like this:
Have confidence
Shake hand
Be attentive when they call your name (make sure you can hear who they call)

Sorry, if that is not helpful, They did not go over any specific questions that may come up in the interview. For this info, I would go to last years thread where EllieGirl posted her notes from the workshop. They did go over questions last year.

Fair enough, thanks. I'll look back at Ellie's post. I'm excited to see what this will be like! Good luck to you 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, I have a little problem here...
I just realized that the dinner is the evening BEFORE the interview. However, I book my flight ticket the arrives the night before, so I'll likely be missing the dinner. Is that going to be a problem...? Thanks!
 
From what I understand, the dinner is more for you to relax and meet some faculty. I was told it isn't part of the interview, so you should be fine. EllieGirl may have more info about it though. That being said, for those going I would consider everything from the minute you arrive on campus as part of your interview. You never know who is watching 🙂 Have a safe flight!
 
I got an email this morning asking me to RSVP to the meals- I think as long as you haven't RSVP'd and said you'd be there you should be okay not going...
 
For anyone worried about transportation to/from campus, airport, or hotel, if you indicated you needed transportation when you RSVP'ed, they should take care of you. I just got an email asking about what I'll need in terms of transportation.
​