Ohio c/o 2016 Applicants

Started by NStarz
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Running upstairs to see if people from this weekend had heard anything yet was definitely not the first thing I did when I got home. The first thing I did was stop being covered in cow ****. :d
There was somebody last week that interviewed on the 2nd, and heard the next Tuesday- so I definitely thought today was the day we'd all start hearing. These next few weeks are going to be stressful!
 
They seem to be letting OOSers know first, making me sooooooooooo mad! I have been patiently waiting for over a month! Hopefully just one more week of waiting.

Nordicat, the first week of waiting is the hardest by far. It gets easier. Not much, but you come to terms with waiting it out and know they'll let you know when they're good and ready.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was compiling a list of schools that require fall transcripts but didn't see anything on OSU from first glance. Anyone know off-hand what Ohio expects?

On a side note, here's to hoping we can blow up the acceptance thread next week now that most of the interviews have taken place.
 
No idea on the fall transcripts. I didn't bother checking because I don't *have* fall transcripts, being an old lady of 28 and all done w/prereqs, etc. 😉

I think the 16th was the last interview day, so I'm crossing my fingers that we all hear some great news next week! It would be pretty awesome if all us SDN'ers got in!

Also, I saw that several people on here who were already offered a spot at OSU have also been accepted elsewhere (some at their IS schools). That could be good news for us other OOS'ers who have OSU as our top pick.
 
I looked on the website and it only talks about sending transcripts by October 3rd. Let me know if you find anything else out.
 
Love your avatar Orcagirl, I have a boston too 😍.

The admission packet said decisions would be made between December 20th and January 6th. Really hoping we all get good news next week 👍

Here is what I found on Ohio's website:

Regarding schools at which you are enrolled at the time of application:

Upon completion of all courses, please forward your final transcripts to the above address as well. You do not need to send a transcript after each quarter or semester.
Only applicants that are offered a seat need to submit a final transcript. Please submit final transcript to the Office of Professional Admissions by July 1st.

 
Love your avatar Orcagirl, I have a boston too 😍.

The admission packet said decisions would be made between December 20th and January 6th. Really hoping we all get good news next week 👍

Here is what I found on Ohio's website:

Regarding schools at which you are enrolled at the time of application:

Upon completion of all courses, please forward your final transcripts to the above address as well. You do not need to send a transcript after each quarter or semester.
Only applicants that are offered a seat need to submit a final transcript. Please submit final transcript to the Office of Professional Admissions by July 1st.


Thanks so much. *I got a call from the admissions office on the 14th* I'm glad that I don't have to send one after this semester and then at the end of the school year. Sending transcripts gets expensive, though nothing compared to the actual cost of vet school.

I LOVE Bostons. They're like the best dogs ever (just don't tell my Chihuahua). My avatar is a pick of my Boston I had to put down on the 5th (only five days before my interview). The two weeks between Thanksgiving and my interview were really crazy.
 
Thanks so much. *I got a call from the admissions office on the 14th* I'm glad that I don't have to send one after this semester and then at the end of the school year. Sending transcripts gets expensive, though nothing compared to the actual cost of vet school.

I LOVE Bostons. They're like the best dogs ever (just don't tell my Chihuahua). My avatar is a pick of my Boston I had to put down on the 5th (only five days before my interview). The two weeks between Thanksgiving and my interview were really crazy.

Ohhh no, orcagirl!! Sorry to hear about your little buddy 🙁 one of my friends has and fosters Bostons, so I know they are cute, gassy, slobbery little bundles of love! What a crummy couple of weeks for you. I'm glad you have an acceptance to brighten things up a little. 🙂
 
Thanks NordiCat. My family has two others at home, but it's still not the same. I'll probably end up fostering or adopting one when I'm in vet school. I don't know if I could live without one. Except for one of my own and a very old senile one, I've never known them to be mean. Wishing you good luck in the coming weeks.
 
Awww, I'm so sorry to hear he/she had to be put down and so close to your interview. So sorry for your loss. My boston that I have now is my second one. My first had to be euthanized just a few months after I graduated from college. He was with me from age 5 to 19 and was the best dog ever. I now have another boston who is equally awesome just in different ways. It is weird how I thought of all the different kinds of dogs I'd like to have when I had my first boston, but after he died I knew the only kind of dog I'd ever want was a boston. Here's my boston, doing what he does best, sleeping lol:

027-2.jpg


Hoping for good news next week and to be joining you in the class of 2016 at OSU. Is OSU your top choice, or are you still waiting to hear from other schools? Congrats on your acceptance 👍
 
Hey everyone,
Congrats to all that interviewed and good luck! I am hoping to get some of your thoughts on the Ohio legislation that deals with "vicious" dogs a.k.a pit bulls. I sort of fell in love with Ohio State a couple weeks ago during my interview and although I have not been accepted or rejected yet, I am scared of what I will do if I am accepted. My dog is a pit bull and she is basically my better half. I don't think I would be able to let her go for any circumstance but at the same time I know that if Ohio is the best or only school I get into it would be crazy for me to turn it down. Does anyone know of people who have been accepted and own pit bull, or who live in Ohio and own a pit bull? If so, how do they deal with it? What would you guys do if your dog was restricted in a state with the vet school of your choice?
 
Hey everyone,
Congrats to all that interviewed and good luck! I am hoping to get some of your thoughts on the Ohio legislation that deals with "vicious" dogs a.k.a pit bulls. I sort of fell in love with Ohio State a couple weeks ago during my interview and although I have not been accepted or rejected yet, I am scared of what I will do if I am accepted. My dog is a pit bull and she is basically my better half. I don't think I would be able to let her go for any circumstance but at the same time I know that if Ohio is the best or only school I get into it would be crazy for me to turn it down. Does anyone know of people who have been accepted and own pit bull, or who live in Ohio and own a pit bull? If so, how do they deal with it? What would you guys do if your dog was restricted in a state with the vet school of your choice?


I can't speak to Columbus in particular, but I lived in Cleveland for 4 years and we had PLENTY of pit bulls in the area. Including in towns where they were banned or restricted. We also had a lot of "boxer mixes" running around.
 
I live in Northeast Ohio and have seen many pit bulls around. Not sure if that's against the law here or not.
 
This actually came up during my student panel. People said that there are many pibbles around Columbus, and that people really don't care as long as they are well behaved. Is it necessarily legal--no, but I don't think it'll be a huge problem.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi All,

I'm an IS who interviewed on 12/12, and this wait is killing me! Does anyone know how the wait list works as far is IS vs OOS?
 
Hey guys,

So I was watching Suze Orman last night on CNBC...and she was going on and on about the power of positive thinking....how your thoughts affect your actions and your actions become your habits and your habits become your reality..etc..I am a first time applicant. Applied to 8 schools. I was rejected from CSU ( I know its really hard to get in there) and havent heard ANYTHING from any of the other schools....I want to stay positive but I feel like if I havent gotten an invite for Ohio I might as well assume I wont be getting one...how off the mark am I? I hate this whole process 😳( I've already resigned myself to the fact that I will just need to take some classes to beef up my GPA and gain some more experience (even though I worked as a vet tech for 5 years) My cum GPA was a 3.33 and I had a 1200 on the GREs the second time I took it and a 1060 the first time. Ohio wouldnt let me send my new GRE scores from the revised GRE version.....I'm feeling so discouraged...I worked as a vet tech, did decent in school ( no Im not a perfect A student..but honestly I dont think Bs are so freaking terrible...) studied my ass off for the GREs and I think I'm pretty well rounded...(read..I'm not a bookworm)

I am not superwoman! What do these people want from me! I just want to be a vet!

so discouraged.
 
Hey everyone,
Congrats to all that interviewed and good luck! I am hoping to get some of your thoughts on the Ohio legislation that deals with "vicious" dogs a.k.a pit bulls. I sort of fell in love with Ohio State a couple weeks ago during my interview and although I have not been accepted or rejected yet, I am scared of what I will do if I am accepted. My dog is a pit bull and she is basically my better half. I don't think I would be able to let her go for any circumstance but at the same time I know that if Ohio is the best or only school I get into it would be crazy for me to turn it down. Does anyone know of people who have been accepted and own pit bull, or who live in Ohio and own a pit bull? If so, how do they deal with it? What would you guys do if your dog was restricted in a state with the vet school of your choice?

If you're a guy who interviewed on 12/10, I think I was sitting next to you during the presentations! 🙂

http://www.franklincountydogs.com/programs/enforce_pitbull.cfm
says a bit about the pittie ban. I have a similar situation with one of my cats being banned in several states and cities because he's a "hybrid" (an F3 Savannah, a cross between a Serval and a domestic cat). I think all breed-specific legislation is crap and basically racism for animals. I'm sure your girl is a big sweetie, if she's anything like the pitties I've encountered!
 
Lolobend: It's not over til it's over, try to stay positive, but I'd be prepared for the worst. The notification time is between December 20th and January 6th. My guess is that's when the rejections will come too if you weren't invited to interview, but I could be wrong. :xf: for you.
 
Squirrelsrule: Thanks for your thoughts. I have a feeling after I move to where ever I decide to go to vet school I'll be getting one of my own. He was technically my family's dog, just like the other two, but I got him in middle school. Each one I've had has had a completely different personality. This one was the sweetest kindest ever. One is completely crazy, though she's calmed down a little after some alternative veterinary medicine. The last one is a brat and a little aggressive (mostly just of our house and yard though).
OSU is one of my top choices. I am waiting to hear back from schools. I'm from AZ so I don't have any in-state school. I'm not sure how I'm going to go about ranking the schools I get into. I hope you hear something good soon.

Trying2GetIn: When I was in Columbus I say a dog that had to have been 100% pit. I hope that you get it figured out, but it would be crazy to not be able to take your dog with you.
 
suirrelsrule: thanks!! I'm prepared for the worst; Im fairly certain that I will have to apply again...its just so daunting...I'm not getting any younger haha! I'm 25! 😳(

I think its my lack of a variety of experience that will get me...I have all my hours of experience from one or two SA clinics...I was one of the lead vet techs..I helped on every case that came into the hospital...doesnt that show that I know the profession intimately and know what I'm getting into?....

if I know veterinary medicine and specifically small animal vet med is what I want to do...why do I need to shadow a LA or exotic or zoo...?It just doesnt make sense to me....you know?

le sigh.

thanks for the support! Hows the app process going for you?
 
NordiCat: Yeah it was probably me that you were sitting next to! ha. I remember you mentioning your cat. I loved the school, and like I said, have not been accepted yet, but can't stop fretting about this issue. She is definitely a sweetie and she would have to come with me. Sounds like some of you have seen pit bulls around the area and maybe its not such a big deal.... I guess I'll start worrying more if I actually get accepted =). If I don't, then I won't really have anything to worry about ha. Thanks all.
 
I'm 25 too so I know the late to the game feeling. Pulling for you this year, what other schools are you waiting for news from? It is tough getting rejected, but try not to take it personal. I have been struggling with not taking this process personally. I went to the early interview at OSU on November 12th and EVERYONE ELSE (3 other people 2 OOS and one IS) on here that went that day got an acceptance within a week of the interview. I still have not received word and have been waiting for 36 days! The waiting has been pure torture, but I'm trying not to be angry (I was super mad end of week one into week 2 that they didn't think I was worth calling right away). I have since come to my senses and tried to wait patiently. I have decent stats and stand a decent chance at getting in (after all I was invited to the early interview, that's what I keep telling myself 🙂). It's just the waiting game, which I am hoping will end on Tuesday with some good news. All I have to say is that they better call us early interviewers first or send us the bad news first. I just want this waiting to be over!

If you do end up with a rejection, take OSU up on their post rejection meeting to give you advice on what to improve on. How is your GPA and GRE? If you have considerable experience in small animal and that's your passion and your eLORS were solid, I would think that experience alone wouldn't keep you from an interview. Also, did you have others review your PS? I worked on mine from Feb. to August and had many many people review it and made sure it was the best it could be and presented everything I wanted to show. The PS is like your one shot to show them your heart and soul, you want it to be awesome

I don't think it was your experience alone because I was invited to interview and just barely broke 1000 vet experience hours and there are people that have gotten in with as few as a couple hundred hours. My experience like yours was almost exclusively small animal. I had 6 hours of equine, no large animal. I do however have thousands (over 7000) of hours of experience in wildlife rehab, which was all animal experience, but I showed in my PS how my passion for wildlife rehab led me to vet med. So, that probably boosted their view of my experience.

I don't envy you if you have to wait another year, that is my worst nightmare! Just try to stay positive, it's not over til they say it's over! And that's not the end, there's next year which will be here soon!
 
Just try to stay positive, it's not over til they say it's over! And that's not the end, there's next year which will be here soon!

I'm impressed you can stay so positive! This waiting game is getting me doooown.🙁
Gonna go eat my weight in Xmas cookies.
 
I've had my struggles, believe me! But in the end it doesn't do you any good and only makes you more anxious and nervous about it. Try to stay calm and wait it out. Not too much longer! I am really hoping they call tomorrow. If they don't, no guarantee I can keep my cool after that. I have been telling myself since the start of week 2 of waiting (because if you don't get a call in that first week I think it's safe to say you've been put in the decide later pile that will be notified between December 20th and January 6th) I've been telling myself to just hang in there until December 20th. That's TOMORROW! I can do it! After that, no guarantee because I think it's only fair they call us early interview people first. Good news or bad, I want it tomorrow. Hoping for good news, really really hoping.

Hang tough, the wait will make the acceptance even awesomer (of course the rejection will hurt that much more if that's what you get too, but trying to stay positive).
 
Watch your e-mail too, since apparently last year they sent e-mail acceptances to those who weren't called right away!!:luck::xf:

I was perusing last year's Ohio thread, and all the initial acceptances were sent out before Christmas. I wonder if this year will be the same way? Eeeeeek this week is going to be nervewracking! :scared:
 
*GULP* Reader19 just got a call today, according to the accepted thread! :scared:

(And congrats, Reader19! 🙂 Hope the rest of us hear some good news very very soon!)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Damn it, it's killing me to wait. I just want to know. I hope they call me this week with good news so I have something to celebrate on Xmas. Even bad news is better than no news.
 
Hey All,

After anticipating bad news, I decided to contact admissions. I figured if I hadnt gotten an interview invite by now it meant i wouldnt be getting one. When I spoked with admissions I was informed that there will be no more interview invites sent out 😳( Sorry to bring bad news.
 
Hey All,

After anticipating bad news, I decided to contact admissions. I figured if I hadnt gotten an interview invite by now it meant i wouldnt be getting one. When I spoked with admissions I was informed that there will be no more interview invites sent out 😳( Sorry to bring bad news.

Yeah, I thought the last day for interviews was 12/16. Sorry, Lolo! 🙁

Although, I also thought today was the first day they'd be notifying people of acceptances/rejections, and it looks like no one here has heard anything yet, so apparently I don't know too much. 😛
 
Hey All,

After anticipating bad news, I decided to contact admissions. I figured if I hadnt gotten an interview invite by now it meant i wouldnt be getting one. When I spoked with admissions I was informed that there will be no more interview invites sent out 😳( Sorry to bring bad news.

Yeahhhh I figured as much. Oh well. I've already gotten wait listed at CSU and Dr Stewart gave me a nice file review, so I really think its a crapshoot! Other people who have gotten interviews to OSU Ive noticed have gotten rejected at CSU. I am officially under the belief that one school's rejectee is another school's prized applicant 🙂 Everyone have hope that you get in somewhere that wants you! TigerWillow signing out.
 
Awww, so sorry Tigerwillow and lolobend 🙁. I thought as much but was hoping I'd be wrong. Of course, the thing I'm wrong on is the good thing. I was really really hoping for a call or email today! Nothing 🙁. Why oh why do you have to torture us OSU!
 
Squirrels, it's good to know that I'm not the only one who hasn't heard a thing yet!
 
Awww, so sorry Tigerwillow and lolobend 🙁. I thought as much but was hoping I'd be wrong. Of course, the thing I'm wrong on is the good thing. I was really really hoping for a call or email today! Nothing 🙁. Why oh why do you have to torture us OSU!

gosh they STILL have in review on my status page! Couldn't you let me know a month ago you don't want me???

Squirrels, I REALLY hope they give you that carrot they've been dangling! Preferably in the next hour.
 
gosh they STILL have in review on my status page! Couldn't you let me know a month ago you don't want me???

Squirrels, I REALLY hope they give you that carrot they've been dangling! Preferably in the next hour.

Wait...status page? Does everyone else have one of these? I never got the login info they promised, so I don't have one!
 
Wait...status page? Does everyone else have one of these? I never got the login info they promised, so I don't have one!

Yes, you should be able to log in to buckeye link and check on the status of your application. It is kinda a blessing not to have it though, because from what I've heard it doesn't change when you first get an acceptance. I have one and it's said in review since before I interviewed.
 
Squirrels, it's good to know that I'm not the only one who hasn't heard a thing yet!

FWIW, I called admissions yesterday and asked when interviewees would learn of their status. She said letters will start going out in early January and that everyone should know by the end of January.

I did not want to press, so I didn't ask if they would come over email, etc. Seems that everyone just has to sit tight, but keep an eye out for a call from the 614 area code. Good luck everyone!
 
FWIW, I called admissions yesterday and asked when interviewees would learn of their status. She said letters will start going out in early January and that everyone should know by the end of January.

I did not want to press, so I didn't ask if they would come over email, etc. Seems that everyone just has to sit tight, but keep an eye out for a call from the 614 area code. Good luck everyone!

😱 The end of January 😱. Come on OSU just let us know!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I may die of an anxiety attack if I have to wait until the end of January. What happened to the Dec 20-Jan 6 window?
 
I think OSU is out to torture their applicants this year. Did you see how it was last year? Quite a few people got calls the same day they interviewed! Others were notified like a week later. I think the longest wait was like 2 weeks, maybe 3.

Hi OH Bunny Girl, I'm from Northeast Ohio too 🙂. Is this your first time applying? When did you interview? I think us ISers are in for the longest wait 🙁
 
Who wants to call 'em and ask if the timeframe is still 12/20-1/6? I would, but I'm at work!
(614)292-8831
 
I literally just got my phone call from April Pugh and have been offered a seat for the class of 2016. I'm debating whether to tell my family tonight when everyone comes in or announce it Christmas morning as a surprise. Waiting on my older brother to come up from Maryland.

/woot!